• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Paladins-05-HD.png

Paladins is a first-person shooter video game developed by Hi-Rez Studios, the developers of the MOBA SMITE. The game is rooted in a colorful sci-fi fantasy setting featuring Champion, playable characters that have their own unique fire-function and skills. Combat in Paladins is also nearly entirely skillshot-based, meaning projectiles can be dodged. Although each champion has their own personality and abilities, to get around Paladins' maps, the real character variation comes from the Cards and Item systems that augments a champion in different ways.

The Loadout System:
The Cards system in Paladins is one of the main features that sets the game apart from others in the genre. Cards offer players the ability to empower a Champions's attributes and enhance or modify their skills, tailoring them to a particular playstyle. All cards are available to all champions to use for free. Each champion in the game has their own unique card collection that cannot be used by any other champion.

Cards are equipped by champions 5 at a time in sets called loadouts. Players can increase or decrease the strength of the cards in their loadouts to one of the 5 ranks (Common, Uncommon, Rare, Epic and Legendary), however loadouts have a fixed limit to the total card rank.

Items:
tems (previously known as Burn cards) are special kinds of cards that all champions have access to via the in-match store. These items allow players to gain useful benefits such as bonus movement or reload speed. There are four types of items: Defense, Utility, Healing, and Attack.

Items can be purchased at the spawn rooms by pressing the item store key ("I" by default). Items are purchased with Credits.

A player can only have one item from each category at once. Each item can be upgraded up to two times, replacing the previous item with a stronger version of itself. Each upgrade costs the original value multiplied by 2 or 3 (e.g. a 300 item will cost 600 to upgrade to tier 2, and 900 to upgrade to tier 3). Once purchased or upgraded, items cannot be sold or downgraded. There is an autobuy function that allows new players to have the game purchase items for them. This feature can be toggled on and off from the Gameplay tab in the Options menu.

Links:

Reddit
Twitch
Wiki

Download:

Steam
Xbox
Playstation
Switch (Requires Founder's Pack for Early Access / F2P later this year.)

Paladins runs at 4k/60fps on the PS4Pro and the Xbox One X

If this thread isn't OK, please delete it.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the battle royale mode like? I loved the regular modes

Great game

OP
OP
Grimminski

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Cool! Downloading it at the moment! I see a Digital Deluxe Edition is also up on PS Store? As well as a Season Pass and a Champion's Pack
The Season Pass is a bundle that includes the Champions Pack, which unlocks all current and future champions, as well as Battlepass 1, 2, and 3. If you don't have the Champions Pack there is a weekly rotation of characters, and I *think* a few and always available to you. The Digital Deluxe edition includes 1500 crystals (premium currency) on top of the Season Pass. You use crystals to buy skins and loot boxes.

Whats the battle royale mode like? I loved the regular modes

Great game
I never played the first Battle Royale release, but the version in development now is going to be a separate download and is still in closed beta.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
For whatever reason, paladins is literally the only shooter my girlfriend can get into, go figure.

For f2p, the game is super fun. I've also been playing for years at this point, but I have acquired every character for free too, so there's that.

OP
OP
Grimminski

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Tomorrow on Twitch (2PM EDT) is a preview of the first major update of the full release. Bug fixes, balance changes, new cosmetics, and a brand new champion, Furia (a new support), will be shown.

DeZJn0KX0AEGv68.jpg

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I know nothing about this game, but that banner is... something. Not-Tracer and Not-Reaper are particularly egregious.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
I know nothing about this game, but that banner is... something. Not-Tracer and Not-Reaper are particularly egregious.
I don't know much about the "Not-Tracer" person but the "Not-Reaper" is actually nothing like Reaper at all.

Paladins has changed a lot in the last 18 months.

All cards are unlocked for free, there's a character rotation, Maeve is broke as hell...

I will definitely consider it, although being out of school and working full time means it's harder for me to sit in front of my computer to play a game. Usually I am out on my couch with my Switch or something (no, I'm not port begging :p )

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Really excited about Seris sister Furia reveal tomorrow!

I love Seris from day 1. She is probably my favorite and most fun character in the game. I hope that they will deliver with Furia.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Maeve and Evie are the 2 most unfun characters to duel in any game ever. Don't @ me fam.

Evie is SO annoying. Good Evie players can be pain in the ass. Crazy mobility and DMG.

I also can't stand Zhin and Lex. They seem OP. Lex does too much DMG. And Zhin can be so hard to kill.

That sniper Strix is also very powerful. Mostly because of huge hitboxes in this game. But i think that sniper should not have great DMG in both situations. And Strix does, he can win against many characters in close combat.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Game is really fun, I play it on my bf's PS4 when I'm at his place waiting for him to get ready or something(he only has long-winded single-player games otherwise) and it's always a blast. The character designs are TERRIBLE, though. Some are fine but there are way too many gun dudes/chicks.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
One thing that really bothers me about the game is how characters look better in Paladins Strike (mobile game), compared to the main game.
I know that they started working on Paladins in 2012 and that they updated few characters in main game but so many of them look better in Paladins Strike. Especially Maeve, Cassie, Buck, Sha Lin, Evie...

OP
OP
Grimminski

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
One thing that really bothers me about the game is how characters look better in Paladins Strike (mobile game), compared to the main game.
I know that they started working on Paladins in 2012 and that they updated few characters in main game but so many of them look better in Paladins Strike. Especially Maeve, Cassie, Buck, Sha Lin, Evie...
The art of Paladins Strike is handled by Tencent, I think. Just like the loading screen portraits for each of the characters.

---

Patch preview starts in 10 minutes

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't believe there wasn't an OT on this. Its a really good hero shooter (is that still what we call them). Haven't played much recently, my kids were into it for awhile (it was their first FPS, and they got scary good at it for being 6 and 8).

Will have to check it out again.

OP
OP
Grimminski

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
PSA:

If you have Twitch Prime TODAY is the last day to claim the Paladins Twitch Bundle (PS4, X1, PC). It includes a Bomb King Skin, a Mount, a Maeve skin, 15 Gold Chests, and 3 Diamond Chests.

A 30 day free trial will allow you to get the bundle.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Furia looks TRAGIC in game compared to her art. Wow.
When they showed her in game i was like WTF??

The art of Paladins Strike is handled by Tencent, I think. Just like the loading screen portraits for each of the characters.

I was talking about in-game models, on character select screen. Not art.

OP
OP
Grimminski

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Furia looks TRAGIC in game compared to her art. Wow.
When they showed her in game i was like WTF??

I was talking about in-game models, on character select screen. Not art.
Seems to be a running theme with recent skins. Arctic Pip was truly something.... special.

That's what I meant about the art. Strike is developed by a different team, and a lot of the artwork and designs come from Tencent.

---

Gettin' really tired of all the flank skins though. The last event had 2 exclusive skins for Skye and Zhin, now we have another event with exclusives for Maeve and Androxus. I don't play any of those characters, so buying anything would be a waste of money. Christ, Androxus *just* got an epic skin 2 weeks ago.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Amazing cinematic about two sisters, Seris and Furia:

By far the best lore cinematic they released.

OP
OP
Grimminski

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Can someone explain how will this work: https://www.paladins.com/events/rise-of-furia

Do you have to buy new skins with real money or what?
There will be 3 skin bundles available for purchase, probably costing 300 crystals per. Each bundle includes one of the skins, a diamond chest, and your choice of one of those roaming emotes. If you buy all 3 you get the Drogoz one as a bonus. That's how Siege of Ascension peak worked a few months ago.

The PTS should be up later today on Steam, you can download it and try out the skins because you're given unlimited crystals to play around with.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
There will be 3 skin bundles available for purchase, probably costing 300 crystals per. Each bundle includes one of the skins, a diamond chest, and your choice of one of those roaming emotes. If you buy all 3 you get the Drogoz one as a bonus. That's how Siege of Ascension peak worked a few months ago.

The PTS should be up later today on Steam, you can download it and try out the skins because you're given unlimited crystals to play around with.

That's not as bad as i thought it will be. Too bad i don't like any of these new skins. Tyra's and Maeve's faces looks super weird with new skins.
And what about shards? What can you do with it?

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I meant like what is the smoke bomb build, sorry. I've only played Skye a few times a couple years ago maybe.
Oh the smoke bomb build requires certain cards and items where my smoke bomb does 600 damage which links into the card where my poison darts reduce the cooldown for every hit, so when played right I can smoke bomb, hit them with poison, reset cooldown and hit them again. It allows for insane burst, if people are close I can do a decent amount of damage to them too. I had triple kills with this build.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
just started playing this game and I gotta say it's really fun. There are only a few things I'm sorta confused about.

What's the deal with battle pass? Is this pretty much identical to how Fortnite's battle pass work? Also I'm sorta confused by the card system. From what I've read it sounds like you get cards from lootboxes, but if that's the case how do you get lootboxes? Is it based around the MT system?

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I was actually thinking about an OT for this game earlier today.

Furia looks kinda like a mess, but I like her abilities. Why did they make her gun a sword tho? That just looks stupid.

Inara is amazing. Only Frontline I play.

Yeah. She looks great on concept art and in cinematic but in game it looks really bad. Too much armor for no reason. I like the fact that she is wearing ponytail left from Seris tho.

just started playing this game and I gotta say it's really fun. There are only a few things I'm sorta confused about.

What's the deal with battle pass? Is this pretty much identical to how Fortnite's battle pass work? Also I'm sorta confused by the card system. From what I've read it sounds like you get cards from lootboxes, but if that's the case how do you get lootboxes? Is it based around the MT system?

Battle Pass gives you items for every level. I bought BP1 for 500 crystals but i kinda regret it because i realized that it will be really hard to get to lvl 50. Reaching lvl 30 is easy but then it becomes pain in the ass because it's a lot of grinding.

All cards are unlocked now. And they are one of the best parts of this game.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
ok played this game for about 2 hours now, and I'm about to play a lot more tonight, but I have to say, I wasn't expecting to like the game this much when I decided to give it a try.

The game's visual style reminds me so much of a Borderlands or Battleborn. Controls feel great, and the game as a whole feels great. Can't get over how awesome it is to see an FOV slider in this game on console. I can make think of 2 or 3 games that have that as a feature.

I really like the main mode too. Seeing TDM as a mode is cool, but I definitely prefer the capture mode.