• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Ended up getting the deluxe edition, probably not worth it but mweh, dont really mind giving them the 29.99 tbh. Trying out all sorts of characters now that I have everyone, finding some cool stuff. Didnt know Moji was a flank tho, guess I need to learn how to flank cause shes just the best.

So what do I do with all this gold I have now then, just buy those recolored skins I guess? And speaking of skins, I guess I can use these gems for skins aswell, since any champion that comes out will be auto unlocked anyway? Don't really see anything else worthwhile to get with the gems, unless I want to gamble on chests, which I don't (even if I would kill for that dragon Moji skin). This Seris demon succubus skin for example is 200 gems.

Speaking of Seris, instantly my favorite healer, shes amazing. Moji is fun (or funny) but I need to learn her. Inara seems neat aswell but very different from the other tanks, only played a couple of games with her tho. And I like Vivian from the couple of games I played with her aswell, n fact, I really like that there are more than one "simple, straight forward dps" heroes. I want to get some more Vivian and also Tyra games in, for those rare ocasions theres already a healer and a frontline. Definitely have played more characters that I enjoyed than ones I didnt which is cool.

Oh and in not-so-pleasant news, I played a couple of ranked games and yeesh. First game was fine, was a blowout win, second game, theres a super toxic Khan that keeps going on about "decks" as if I didnt have a loadout. I thought it was some feature I didnt know about but as far as I've seen from google and youtube, "decks" is just what people call loadouts and I had mine (wasnt even the default either) so I dunno wtf he was going on about, but it sure soured me on the whole thing. That and watching youtube videos about ranked / high play gave me nasty Overwatch flashbacks, so yeah, I'll stick to quickmatch and just have fun tbh >_>

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Yeah, ranked isn't worth the bother to me. I'll play maybe enough games to get placed or fulfill a Battlepass challenge, but even then those games I'll stagger out.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
My advice would also be: Stay away from ranked in this game.

Yes, both gold and crystals can be used for skins and other purchases. Some items, like voice packs are crystals only. Also many skins are on sale now. For example Seris skin that you mentioned is 400 crystals when it's not on sale. And i think that sale is ending today or tomorrow, not sure.
Moji is by far the worst flank in the game rn. She is just broken and probably needs a rework, which will never happen knowing Hi-Rez.

About cards, for many characters default ones are pure trash. So just pick 3-4-5 characters that you REALLY like for now. Look at their talents and cards, and make your own loadouts. It's very easy once you figure out champion's abilities, strengths and weaknesses and what suits you the best.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
My advice would also be: Stay away from ranked in this game.

Yes, both gold and crystals can be used for skins and other purchases. Some items, like voice packs are crystals only. Also many skins are on sale now. For example Seris skin that you mentioned is 400 crystals when it's not on sale. And i think that sale is ending today or tomorrow, not sure.
Moji is by far the worst flank in the game rn. She is just broken and probably needs a rework, which will never happen knowing Hi-Rez.

About cards, for many characters default ones are pure trash. So just pick 3-4-5 characters that you REALLY like for now. Look at their talents and cards, and make your own loadouts. It's very easy once you figure out champion's abilities, strengths and weaknesses and what suits you the best.

yeah I've been doing my own loadouts for every character really, hell most times I make loadouts before even trying them, just from looking at the skills and cards and how they would interact. If it doesnt work out like I imagined I change stuff up. It's not unlike a moba really. I still dont know what the dude was going on about, but he was so toxic that it doesnt really matter.

Also just noticed that Lian is also one of those "straight up simple dps" types, gotta try her. And Ash, and I forgot Bomb King before. A lot of chars huh? Sucks to hear that Moji is bad, she seemed really hard, but I really struggle at the whole flanking thing anyway. Flankers and snipers are the two categories I dont really care about.

Also guess I'll buy that skin then, I thought it was on the cheap side. How can we tell which skins are on sale?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so pet peeve, but I really wish you could filter the character screen, like order by preference, or by xp, or role, something.

Anyway, played a bunch more Seris (shes now my highest level heh), but also a few games with Tyra which I liked, quite a bit in fact (well, as much as I can like a pure dps), and also Torvold who I absolutely loved. A tank that can also sorta-kinda "heal" (well support), sign me up doc. Great ult too. Still lots to try (not counting all the flankers), still havent touched bomb king (except way back in early access beta, I remember him being fun and hilarious), the turtle guy or the other "straight dps" lady, what's she called... she has a long rifle but isnt a sniper. Lian or something.Oh and the fairy, I got JACKED by one in a TDM, she kept showering me with flower mines it was crazy, need to try her aswell.

Really having fun with this, of course I could just aswell burn out tomorow, but I can see this enter my yearly on-again-off-again pool along with HotS or Diablo or something.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I just tried this on Switch, and it's pretty good on that. I wish cross progression was a thing though, as I already have things on PS4. Kinessa not being a starter is weird though, as she was always a free one on PS4.

Lian is still the best character though. So good.

Oct 25, 2017
One time they allowed you to clone your account to a console. I tried to sell my clone. Nobody knew what paladins was at the time, but I had all the characters, founder's pack, and enough currency to buy every card (at the time you had to unlock cards). But then the window to clone closed. Was trying to sell for like 10 bucks or something.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
loving both Inara and Torvald. Can do some cool plays with Inara, and she can be super tanky with certain loadouts (like standing on the rock thingie reducing dmg and increasing the reduction on her self shield also).

I'm actually really liking Frontline in this game, I would dare say as much as support really.

edit: yup really like Inara and Torvald alright lol

teKhCcd.jpg

Last edited:

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Since I bought the champ pass late Sunday night, I still haven't had a lot of chance to really play with most of the characters yet. Hell, I spent more time in the game yesterday putting together first-draft card loadouts than I did actually playing rounds! So my few rounds yesterday mostly boiled down to trying out a couple of folks for the first time, one round each.
Torvald, I like, though I'd need more practice and he definitely benefits from having at least one or two party-mates that you can count on and communicate with, to make the most of his projections and have people following up on his nullify. I felt like I played alright, and in the round I played my DPS folks cleaned up in damage and kills, but we still wound up playing from behind all match long because they would rarely stick around the point with me, so I'd lose the 1v2 against the opponents' frontliners. I do like his survivability in general though, and that his barriers can help give you an extra "half tank" of sorts to maintain the front with. The more I try other frontline heroes, the lower and lower Ruckus falls.
Tyra is fun and it seems like she can be very effective (with the Switch's gyro drift being a thing right now, I definitely like heroes with auto-fire weapons more than those requiring precision, like Lian or Cassie), but I'd need more practice getting into the habit of properly using hunter's mark, and her lack of mobility is definitely felt. Not someone to easily escape bad spots, so she might be better served to play later, once I have a bit more map awareness.
Willo was a bit better than I expected, too, though it helps that the match I played with her featured a team that never once tried to check my start-of-round flank, giving me a free shot at hitting their backline with the anti-heal and some big damage pretty freely every time. I don't fully grasp her ultimate, though; In what way is her flight really controlled? Is there no way to freely ascend or descend? It never seemed to be able to carry me high up enough for it to have been any more useful than just skulking about the map for flank opportunities.

A good start overall. I'm still most interested in trying out Khan more than anyone else, but haven't actually used him in a match yet. I think I'm afraid of how I'll feel if I try using him and just suck. :P

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Since I bought the champ pass late Sunday night, I still haven't had a lot of chance to really play with most of the characters yet. Hell, I spent more time in the game yesterday putting together first-draft card loadouts than I did actually playing rounds! So my few rounds yesterday mostly boiled down to trying out a couple of folks for the first time, one round each.
Torvald, I like, though I'd need more practice and he definitely benefits from having at least one or two party-mates that you can count on and communicate with, to make the most of his projections and have people following up on his nullify. I felt like I played alright, and in the round I played my DPS folks cleaned up in damage and kills, but we still wound up playing from behind all match long because they would rarely stick around the point with me, so I'd lose the 1v2 against the opponents' frontliners. I do like his survivability in general though, and that his barriers can help give you an extra "half tank" of sorts to maintain the front with. The more I try other frontline heroes, the lower and lower Ruckus falls.

Yup, I mean I didnt particularly like Ruckus to begin with, but yeesh. Good for those that can make him work I guess.

Torvald > Inara > Khan > Fernando > Barik > Ruckus for me. I havent tried the turtle or terminus yet, both seem strong and fun (I value fun more tho, hence my order, otherwise Khan would probably be first). Oh havent tried Ash yet eiher.

Still havent tried Lian, Willo and Bomb King yet tho because I always end up being support or frontline since noone takes those roles, feelsbadman.

Btw the next hero they announced, what role is she?

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
She is attack. She will have fire and ice and a mana mechanic.
As for my fave tank, it will always be Termnus because when you have max bar and die people are afraid because once more you RIIIIIISSSSEEEEE!

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
Lian can be very fun if you vibe her playstyle. Willo is a tank eater and just area control monster. She's fun.

Myself I play Skye,Ying, sometimes Lian but I need to be better with her, I will try Imani and of course if forced to tank, Once more I RIIIISSSEEE!

MrGab

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for a patch fix in the Switch version, it have gyro drift issue, bugs and crashes.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Not a fan of new event, map and skins. They all look cheap.
Willo skin is nice, but direct 10€/$ purchase for one skin?? Wtf?

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Not the most exciting event, yeah. Better than the Halloween RNG schlock though.

In related talk, after signing up four months ago, I finally got an invite to the Realm Royale beta on PS4. It's very smooth, but sparse, and I feel like they forfeited a lot of Paladins' appeal in favor of something more Fortnite-esque. Still, the abilities make it one of the most enjoyable BR's I've played for one-on-one combat. Probably one of the most skill-reliant as well. Overall though, I was more interested in the original concept (Paladins characters rather than generic people with classes and piecemeal abilities) and it feels like they squandered the momentum they had back during the summer, which is too bad.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
new event? I was playing earlier and it wasnt up.

does that mean the battle pass 3 is over? Im only lvl 31 :/

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Feeling the same. And yet the collector in me begs to differ. Depends on if any are limited, I guess. Otherwise I may just get one for the stocking stuff, earn whatever I can from that, then wait for an event chest later on.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
oh a new map?

edit: ooooooooh Bomb King is fun. I mean no surprise since I already enjoyed Dredge and Willo, aka the "it doesnt matter if youre shit when you are throwing bombs randomly" heroes (lol)

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
hmm I was going to say that I win a lot more than I lose (my history screen atm is 21 wins 6 losses since it only logs the last 27 matches for whatever reason) but I found this site that apparently logs everything https://mypaladins.com/player/2976968/rhaknar/ and I guess I lost a lot at the start because it seems im 60/55 overall for 52% w/r which isnt anything out of the ordinary.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
A pretty good Overwatch vs Paladins discussion for anyone who still cares.

I agree about the superior versatility of Paladins characters being the big pull. That's what keeps me playing long after I burnt out on Blizzard's game.

I agree with the constructive criticism too.

Last edited:

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So me and my mate play this on Switch, casual mode. Are we possibly playing against PC M +KB as per the latest patch update? I can;t seem a way to make it VS only Xbox / Switch users. Halp.

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
A pretty good Overwatch vs Paladins discussion for anyone who still cares.

I agree about the superior versatility of Paladins characters being the big pull. That's what keeps me playing long after I burnt out on Blizzard's game.

I agree with the constructive criticism too.

It is a good video if the slide to a game that did not get traction is kinda off but that's his video

Played 5 matches today and there were bots in 3 of them! This fucking game...
If people dip out they put in bots or if you are low level it puts you into bots to edge you into the game.

how can one tell if its bots
Either low level or people dc.

Decent video but the rant and swap to gigantic kind of ruined it.
I can agree. What good is the swap when the other game was abandoned. Never make perfect be the enemy of the good is my motto.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
You can also play against bots in the training queues beyond level 5. The match rewards are identical to player matches, so sometimes I'll just do that if I don't fancy frustration, or just want to knock out some quests really quick.

Oct 25, 2017
I can agree. What good is the swap when the other game was abandoned. Never make perfect be the enemy of the good is my motto.

Seemed like bait.

Also, his rant about "techs" is complete bullshit. Developers cannot balance heroes around the unintended mechanics and 90% of the playerbase not even knowing it exists. OW, according to him, is supposed to be tightly balanced so yes they're going to fix things that throw that balance off or make it harder to balance in the future if needed.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
It is a good video if the slide to a game that did not get traction is kinda off but that's his video

If people dip out they put in bots or if you are low level it puts you into bots to edge you into the game.

Either low level or people dc.

I am talking about causal matches. What low level bots are you talking about?

I don't know what is going on. But in 3 out of 5 matches i had one bot. My first match today was with one bot in it and then 2 matches more. In the 3rd match Grover came back like 2 minutes before the game was over and said like: "Sorry, i crashed." This shit is happening in casual like every day.

Edit: Just to be clear: PC/casual.

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
I can kinda see where he is coming from with tech somewhat. If enough people use certain things it can be something adapted into play. But how overwatch is built, tech would not be allowed. Blizzard is very precious with their playstyle.