• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
He is really fun, but kinda broken. And i can barely do anything with his regular gun, overcharged it's great but when it's not it juat feels weak.

Yeah, his regular gun I really just use to keep applying cauterize and putting a bit of a drain on the enemy's health, but Overcharge is the real killer. Inner Strength is my go to Talent, as you can Overcharge (and Blitz Upper) twice in quick succession with a heal in between. Much more worthwhile than extending Overcharge by a second, I think. Add on the Cauterize and Life Steal while overcharged cards and you can melt most anyone, one-on-one.

Though I've seen some other cool playstyles too. Like, if you wanted to make yourself reeeally hard to hit, you'd want Faustian bargain with level 5 on the card that increases your speed while your rune of travel is placed. As long as you never actually teleport, you can keep placing your rune of travel when it expires with no cooldown. Back before Talus got nerfed I saw so many speedy little devils doing that. Makes up for his lack of vertical movement quite handily.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Yeah, his regular gun I really just use to keep applying cauterize and putting a bit of a drain on the enemy's health, but Overcharge is the real killer. Inner Strength is my go to Talent, as you can Overcharge (and Blitz Upper) twice in quick succession with a heal in between. Much more worthwhile than extending Overcharge by a second, I think. Add on the Cauterize and Life Steal while overcharged cards and you can melt most anyone, one-on-one.

Though I've seen some other cool playstyles too. Like, if you wanted to make yourself reeeally hard to hit, you'd want Faustian bargain with level 5 on the card that increases your speed while your rune of travel is placed. As long as you never actually teleport, you can keep placing your rune of travel when it expires with no cooldown. Back before Talus got nerfed I saw so many speedy little devils doing that. Makes up for his lack of vertical movement quite handily.

Inner Strength sounds great but i can't use anything but Faustian Bargain. I just can't stand teleporting randomly activating all the time, Faustian Bargain should be deafult thing and not one of his talents.

Do you also play Moji maybe? Can you please post your Talus and Moji Loadouts?

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Inner Strength sounds great but i can't use anything but Faustian Bargain. I just can't stand teleporting randomly activating all the time, Faustian Bargain should be deafult thing and not one of his talents.

Do you also play Moji maybe? Can you please post your Talus and Moji Loadouts?

I don't play Moji much (her playstyle isn't very interesting to me), but I've made several loadouts for pretty much every champion. Not all terribly viable, probably, but I've at least tested most of them. I'll see if I can dig them up...

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Can you please post your Talus and Moji Loadouts?

Aight, here they are

Talus:

Your Soul is Mine -- this is one I use most often.
Pref. Talent: Inner Strength

Antediluvian: 5 (75% caut for 3 seconds with overcharge)
Primeval Might: 5 (40% lifesteal with overcharge)

Evanescent: 3 (24% speed boost with active rune of travel)
Perseverance: 1 (10% lifesteal below 40% health)
Revitalize: 1 (100 extra healing on rune of travel teleport -- on top of the default 500)

Speedy Rune Boi -- This one is more conceptual, but I didn't really know what to do with it beyond the speed boost, and I don't really use it much.
Pref. Talent: Faustian Bargain

Evanescent: 5 (40% speed boost with active rune of travel)
Revitalize: 5 (500 extra heal on teleport -- Total of 1,000 without cauterize)
Guts: 3 (Take 18% less damage below 40% health)
Last Remnant: 1 (Increase ammo count by 4)
Reclemation: 1 (Reduce the Cooldown of overcharge by... 0.5 seconds)

Moji:

Unkillable -- wanted to emphasize self preservation as much as possible with this loadout
Pref. Talent: Toot

Cozy: 5 (Heal for 200 per second while magic barrier is up)
Harmonious: 5 (Heal for 500 if hit while magic barrier is up)
Shimmering: 3 (Reduce magic barrier cooldown by 1.5s)
Symbiotic: 1 (10% increased healing below 50% health)
Scurry: 1 (Scamper heals 100 health)

Damma + Ult --
wanted to focus on being as lethal as possible with this loadout
Pref. Talent: Boom Boom (for focus on general damage) or Yummy (for focus on frequent ultimates)

Nature's Blessing: 5 (+1% ultimate every time you mark an unmarked enemy)
Morning Breath: 5 (50% caut for 3 seconds on detonated magic marks)
Peppy: 3 (Eliminations reduce cooldowns by 30%)
Shimmering: 1 (Reduce magic barrier cooldown by 0.5s)
Scurry: 1 (Scamper heals 100 health)

Fast Cooldowns
-- I forget what I was going for with this one. :P
Pref. Talent: Any

Peppy: 5 (Eliminations reduce cooldowns by 50%)
Fluffy: 5 (Gain 250 base health)
Harmonious: 2 (Heal for 200 if hit while magic barrier is up)
Scurry: 2 (Scamper heals 200 health)
Cozy: 1 (Heal for 40 per second while magic barrier is up)

I've got other loadouts for them, but they're totally untested. Usually geared around talents that I don't think are very good.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Thank you. That's a lot of Loadouts. I only have one for each character that i always use.

But i am still not 100% with my Talus/Moji Loadouts. I feel like sometimes they work great and sometimes they just don't. I guess i need at least two different Loadouts...

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Thank you. That's a lot of Loadouts. I only have one for each character that i always use.

But i am still not 100% with my Talus/Moji Loadouts. I feel like sometimes they work great and sometimes they just don't. I guess i need at least two different Loadouts...

Yeah, usually I'll have one main loadout that I can default to and achieve strong results, but I like to have a couple others to help counter other characters, fill gaps in my team, or play specialized roles.

OP
OP
Grimminski

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
?

Then why grind at all? Isn't part of the pass's purpose to keep players coming back every day, thus maintaining an active playerbase?
It's something to work towards if you want access to it early I suppose.

I could be entirely wrong, but I swear I remember reading about how things that haven't been unlocked would be handled right after the pass was announced.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
So I don't have a pro controller. Anyone got recommended settings for the basic Switch controls that doesn't feel like an impossible task to aim?

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
It's something to work towards if you want access to it early I suppose.

I could be entirely wrong, but I swear I remember reading about how things that haven't been unlocked would be handled right after the pass was announced.
I think it'll be added to the diamond chest. That's how it was for most of the skins.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I got my robot drogoz with minimum effort so I am happy about that! Managed 12 hours since Saturday and I'm loving this game.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Want to pick this up on switch, but I see a $30 price tag, I thought this was free to play?
$30 to get instant access, all the characters (now and going forward) and...yeah.

F2P later this summer (maybe next week? don't quote me), but you only get access to a couple characters at a time but you can earn gold to permanently unlock them.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Want to pick this up on switch, but I see a $30 price tag, I thought this was free to play?

It's gonna be free to play in the presumably near future. This version just gives you all current and future characters. On the free version, you have a couple permanently unlocked, with weekly rotations, and the ability to earn in game currency to buy the ones you like.

You'll be able to try out all heroes in the practice range though.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
$30 to get instant access, all the characters (now and going forward) and...yeah.

F2P later this summer (maybe next week? don't quote me), but you only get access to a couple characters at a time but you can earn gold to permanently unlock them.

It's gonna be free to play in the presumably near future. This version just gives you all current and future characters. On the free version, you have a couple permanently unlocked, with weekly rotations, and the ability to earn in game currency to buy the ones you like.

You'll be able to try out all heroes in the practice range though.

Thanks for the replies guys, seems I would like to pick up the founders pack after all.

Is this game cross-play or cross-save? Meaning If I buy the founders pack on switch I can use it on PC/PS4/Switch....etc?

I see on steam they offer battle pass 2018 as well as champions pack also....

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Thanks for the replies guys, seems I would like to pick up the founders pack after all.

Is this game cross-play or cross-save? Meaning If I buy the founders pack on switch I can use it on PC/PS4/Switch....etc?

Confirmed CrossPlay (no crossparty YET) but it is NOT cross save. So you can't buy one champion pack and have it on all platforms. Will that change in the future? who knows but best bet is to pick one platform you will play it the most on.

There is Battle Pass on Switch, no season pass for battle passes though. And I believe the champions pack is the same as the Founder's pack.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Switch is defintely cross-play with Xbox, but I don't think cross progression is an option anymore. Don't quote me on that though.

The battle pass is just for customisation stuff, and it only runs for a set amount of time.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Confirmed CrossPlay (no crossparty YET) but it is NOT cross save. So you can't buy one champion pack and have it on all platforms. Will that change in the future? who knows but best bet is to pick one platform you will play it the most on.

There is Battle Pass on Switch, no season pass for battle passes though. And I believe the champions pack is the same as the Founder's pack.

Switch is defintely cross-play with Xbox, but I don't think cross progression is an option anymore. Don't quote me on that though.

The battle pass is just for customisation stuff, and it only runs for a set amount of time.

Thank you very much once again guys! Appreciate the info!

Shame it's not cross-save. In this case I will likely pick up the PC version instead and just wait for switch to go free.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This games can be really janky on PS4. Experienced two hard crashes in the last two days :/

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Anybody want to play in a little bit later tonight extra xp! I use seris lian and moji. Here is my fav again 7448 4537 9586. Really want a nice group to play with on switch

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Thanks. Can I fully enjoy the game just playing casual? I mean, is there anything in ranked that's not in casual?

There are a handful of rewards for playing ranked every season. Usually a somewhat minor skin for some character (this season it's Vivian-- last season was a Drogoz recolor), a gold chest or two, and some kind of title, loading frame, or other minor cosmetic. If you do well in your placement matches, then you don't have to play much to get the skin, but the minor cosmetics often require stuff like 100 - 200 ranked wins.

The only gameplay thing that's special about ranked is that there's a bans/protects phase in picking champions, and you can only have one champion on either side per game -- no mirror picks. Adds more strategy to building a good team.

OP
OP
Grimminski

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Thanks. Can I fully enjoy the game just playing casual? I mean, is there anything in ranked that's not in casual?
There's a skin you can get for Vivian by reaching Gold V in ranked.

Finishing your placement matches (10 of them) will get you a gold chest, which has sprays, MVP poses, and emotes.

Playing 25 matches gets you the Town Crier announcer pack

Winning 100 matches gets the Warbound title

Win 200 matches to get a special loading frame

It's all cosmetic stuff.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Am i the only one having hard time seeing at what and where exactly i am aiming with Moji?
That alternate fire (spray) can be so visually distracting.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My only gripe with this version on Switch so far are the load times.
Otherwise the game is fun... I actually have a chance to be competitive, not easy since I don't play shooters often

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
So how does this work between platforms? The PS4 version has a newer support class that the Switch doesn't have. Also, you're able to choose from any of the four ability unlocks from the start instead of leveling the champion to 2, 8, and 12; while all that stuff is locked out on Switch version.

OP
OP
Grimminski

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
So how does this work between platforms? The PS4 version has a newer support class that the Switch doesn't have. Also, you're able to choose from any of the four ability unlocks from the start instead of leveling the champion to 2, 8, and 12; while all that stuff is locked out on Switch version.
There's no crossplay with PS4. Switch & Xbox won't have Furia until next Wednesday.

New champions, starting with Moji, have to have their talents unlocked. Some people report having them automatically available, but that's never happened to me despite having Founders since last January.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
There's no crossplay with PS4. Switch & Xbox won't have Furia until next Wednesday.

New champions, starting with Moji, have to have their talents unlocked. Some people report having them automatically available, but that's never happened to me despite having Founders since last January.

All of them are available to me on PS4 and none of them are available to me on Switch.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
Take in consideration graphics, portability and crossplay.

Also, give it a go on the PS4 since its free

Edit: In my case I went with the Switch version

Good point about giving it a shot on the ps4 since it's free. Portability and crossplay does have mean leaning towards the switch version. Specially after th DF video.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Good point about giving it a shot on the ps4 since it's free. Portability and crossplay does have mean leaning towards the switch version. Specially after th DF video.

It is a really good port! Granted,some bugs here and there but it is still in version 0.77, the 1.2 update c9mes out next week and most bugs are going to get fixed!

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DF tested the Switch version: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-paladins-is-60fps-on-switch-and-its-superb

- 60fps, but there are some hiccups and stuttering.
- Docked: 1008x567-1600x900, but most of the time it's 720p.
- Portable goes down to 672x378.
- Lower textures quality and some effects are missing.
And people thought I was being a troll when I said the game was probably like 520p undocked to hit 60fps before it was up.

That low-end portable resolution is horrendous.
Take in consideration graphics, portability and crossplay.

Also, give it a go on the PS4 since its free

Edit: In my case I went with the Switch version
Considering the wealth of better shooters on PS4 it's a better game to get on Switch IMO, even with the technical issues.

Even so, might as well wait for F2P to drop on Switch. They'll still sell the $30 character pass after. I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing it when it was $13.

Between this and Pinball Arcade I'm going to have to start buying shit asap on launch day.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
The loading times are killing me on switch. Especially the after-match loading screen. That one's really painful. Wish they could somehow fudge it into the after action report screen so I can do something while the game loads.

On buying upgrades during a match... how do you guys find the time? Respawn timers are pretty low, and I feel like an ass sitting in base looking through the options at my own leisure while my team gets slaughtered. I'm not good enough yet to have memorized all possible upgrade paths on the fly, so I'm kinda slow while picking and choosing - and even if I already know what I want it feels like it takes ages to get there and buy it.

A modified auto buy would be cool. Just queue up a bunch of purchases before the match and get them whenever there's enough money in the wallet. Plus a pause button so you can react to the situation. Default auto buy is pretty dang horrible though.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
The loadings on the Switch really could use some work.

Everything else, apart from some bugs that are getting fixed is solid!

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
On buying upgrades during a match... how do you guys find the time? Respawn timers are pretty low, and I feel like an ass sitting in base looking through the options at my own leisure while my team gets slaughtered. I'm not good enough yet to have memorized all possible upgrade paths on the fly, so I'm kinda slow while picking and choosing - and even if I already know what I want it feels like it takes ages to get there and buy it.

A modified auto buy would be cool. Just queue up a bunch of purchases before the match and get them whenever there's enough money in the wallet. Plus a pause button so you can react to the situation. Default auto buy is pretty dang horrible though.
You will get there.

I usually begin with my yellow item according to my champion, then a red or blue one after seeing how is the match going.
Don't be afraid to hold your purchase if you are not sure (specially against mixed Blast or Direct damage enemy teams).
But soon you will learn to read the flow of the match. Trust me, this is among the best skills you can develop :)

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the remarks on loading. I certainly hope they can work on those. Ruins the flow of the game, especially the results after a match ends. That takes upwards of 30-40 seconds.