• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Would any of you buy this thing? It more or less serves a function similar to an Apple Watch (or any other "companion device").

cnet | Palm's crazy comeback rides on a tiny phone that isn't a phone

02-palm-2018.jpg

The new Palm isn't a phone but a companion mobile device that looks like a baby iPhone. It's designed to act as a lightweight substitute when you're at the gym, at a club or spending time with your family. The $349 device, sold exclusively in the US by Verizon Wireless, will pair up with your existing phone but has its own cellular radio that requires an additional $10 charge on your monthly wireless bill.

That's right, our phones have gotten so big they now need their own phones.

Oct 25, 2017
Yo dog I heard you like phones so we gave your phone a phone so it can call when you call.

It's cute as hell, just totally odd.

Deleted member 2913

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If only Palm lasted long enough to do something more with the Pre lineup. Rip. :(

Now the name is tied to something like this, yuck.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Please. This isn't Palm. There is no Palm IP here. There are no Palm design elements. There are no former Palm employees.

This is just a random startup that bought the name.

Oct 25, 2017
China
This concept is old, I tried to sell some of these without the "smart" features and everyone that it was presented to was like;
UnkemptImaginaryFlyingsquirrel-small.gif

The best scenario I could come up with was if you were doing dirty work and wanted to keep your phone clean.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
This concept is old, I tried to sell some of these without the "smart" features and everyone that it was presented to was like;
UnkemptImaginaryFlyingsquirrel-small.gif

The best scenario I could come up with was if you were doing dirty work and wanted to keep your phone clean.

Yup, but for being a "not that big of a loss if i break it" phone, it's still way too expensive at 350$.
You can just pop your SIM into a $19 feature phone for when you go rafting.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I adored my Palm m105 in 6th grade, my m505 in 7th, and my Tungsten T3 in 8th. I mean, I remember lusting after that T3 and a Sony Clie for months before my grandpa surprised me with one of my favorite Christmas gifts of all time. I have a strong like of the Palm brand based purely on nostalgia (even when I know this isn't Palm in anything but name). But still, this is just... really dumb and will never take off.

Every reason I would buy one, is why I'd buy an Apple Watch. My Series 4 literally does everything that thing does, except run full-blown apps... but why would I want to run full-blown apps on a shitty 845 processor on a tiny screen for $400 when I have a regular, better phone? Best part? The AW lives on my wrist.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Its screen is 3.3 inches. There was a time that was big for a phone.

*clutches my iPhone SE tightly*

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So some random start-up with a "revolutionary" concept bought a defunct brand name that has absolutely no resonance for their assumed market in order to... appear legitimate I guess?

This whole thing screams "Far too many people wasted a shitload of money on this".

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Palm Pre is still my favorite phone. It kinda resembles this.

The rounded corners of the os was so pleasing to the eye. The system wide search on Android is still nothing compared to webOS even though Duarte heads that design language now.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
I was kind of convincing myself that there might be a market for this, but then I saw the price. LOL

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
WTF
Might as well buy a Galaxy A or J for that price, if you want a smaller phone.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
You guys mock it, but something like this might be of use in places with a high rate of phone-snatching.

...Well, if not for that price.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Everything about this is baffling. The product itself, the ridiculous price, Palm, and the fact that they somehow got Verizon to carry it.

You can get a prepaid Android phone for $40 these days.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
I really like it. If it was sold separately in the EU and wasn't that expensive I would probably buy it.