• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
His tweet announcing he is the current high bidder:

Claims to have the largest video game console collection in this tweet:

On people being skeptical of his claim:

Thought this was really interesting. Do you guys really think he is amassing a giant video game collection for preservation or he is full of BS?

I already saw some game preservation societies reach out to him on twitter for donations.

There are a few more tweets about his video game presevation but i can only embed so much, so check his twitter if you want to see them.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Probably full of shit, but as long as he doesn't buy it to smash it live on Youtube, it's really no different from the previous owner.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
At this point, it doesn't hugely matter who owns it. The device has been thoroughly analysed and shown off to the world by now. If he's really building some kind of advanced storage then he's probably one of the better people to keep it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
he's a knob but if it goes it him i doubt it'd be a pharmabro "i bought it coz I CAN" kind of deal

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
If I really wanted something so rare, I wouldn't bring attention to it on Twitter lol

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
I think it has been pointed by many game historian/collectors on Twitter that $300,000 could be spent much wiser to further the preservation of video game history than on this one item if you're a preservationist

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Wow, the biggest collection there is, in the most advanced storage facility available for it. I definitely believe him with no proof whatsoever.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh.

FWIW he is heavily into retro systems. Ran the ModRetro forums where people mod retro consoles (think portable N64s). I frequented that forum but that was before the whole Oculus thing and before outing himself as Alt-Right/GamerGater/general piece of trash. So his claim of having the largest console collection sounds believable enough (though I can't help but suspect it consists of pallets of broken N64s and PS1s.

Last edited:

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
While a lot of tech entrepreneurs purport to have rags to riches stories for me money this guy has the only real one, or at the very least the most accelerated one. Still can't get my head around the fact that as a teenager and in 2 short years he went from building something by himself in his parents garage to selling for $2billion.

Cynic in me (bitterness maybe? Lol) says the whole Carmack involvement was more than was being claimed.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Add video games to the list of things Palmer Luckey wants to preserve:

• Video games
  • White supremacy

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
He's a dick but at least this is a decent cause, assuming he's telling the truth

Oct 25, 2017
I read all the emulation threads and respect everyone in them.

But brother, I have some some unpopular opinions about self-described preservationists, which I think is something on a whole other level and won't really be going into them right about now.

I wouldn't like to see this guy end up with the thing in any case. But if it's going to fade into obscurity by association with him, maybe I'm okay with that?

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I do hope that facility is well protected, because I get a bit sad whenever an important museum or library burns down with all its collection inside.

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Cool in a way of real but id rather he be working with places like the Museum of Play or the Video Game History Foundation if hes going tt swing his dick around like this

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the one Ben Heck fixed or another unit?

edit: it is. Damn that's a lotta money. Good for the owner I guess. :P

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yes couldn't think of a better philanthropic use of $300,000 lol

I mean, sure, there will always be better uses of money while there are people around the world in peril, but if he was either going to use the $300,000 for this or horde it and keep it doing nothing then surely this is better

While video games are by no means obscenely important in the grand scheme of things, they're still worth preserving, and a lot of games from the 70s to now are in danger of being lost forever or only preserved thanks to pirates, so having a mega rich guy (even if he's an asshole) doing some of the legwork is better than nothing

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
While video games are by no means obscenely important in the grand scheme of things, they're still worth preserving, and a lot of games from the 70s to now are in danger of being lost forever or only preserved thanks to pirates, so having a mega rich guy (even if he's an asshole) doing some of the legwork is better than nothing

Well personally I don't agree.

Video game preservation is way, way, way down the list of things to spend millions of dollars of charitable money on, and imo it's not something that deserves any moral credit (and that's not just because we're talking about Palmer Luckey here).

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
300,000$ less for racist trolls...?

(i fucking hated that Luckey not only spent money and energy helping the white supremacist, but he also funded the "creations of fake news memes" just to poison the political discourse. That's the lowest of the lowest.)

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well personally I don't agree.

Video game preservation is way, way, way down the list of things to spend millions of dollars of charitable money on, and imo it's not something that deserves any moral credit.

You disagree?

I literally agreed with you there are better ways the money could be spent

So you would prefer the money stay in his bank, making Palmer interest, and that it doesn't go to someone who will then presumably spend it and put it back into the economy?

You'd rather the game system goes to potentially someone who won't want to preserve it?

I mean, that's cool, but that's a weird opinion

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I were rich and just threw my money at what I could to have the biggest collection I guess why not. But it doesn't feel like bragging rights.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
You disagree?

I literally agreed with you there are better ways the money could be spent

So you would prefer the money stay in his bank, making Palmer interest, and that it doesn't go to someone who will then presumably spend it and put it back into the economy?

You'd rather the game system goes to potentially someone who won't want to preserve it?

I mean, that's cool, but that's a weird opinion

I was actually disagreeing with the second part of the post. I don't really think it's worth spending any significant amount of money preserving video games over other charitable causes.

As for the first part, I of course agree that 300,000 coming out of the account of a proper racist without doing harm is a good thing.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Still pretty wild that there's only one known hardware prototype of this out there. Were the others seriously junked?

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I was actually disagreeing with the second part of the post. I don't really think it's worth spending any significant amount of money preserving video games over other charitable causes.

As for the first part, I of course agree that 300,000 coming out of the account of a proper racist without doing harm is a good thing.

Well the second part was me saying " if it is this or nothing, this is better than nothing"

Which we both agree on

The first part was me saying "there are better causes that could use this money"

Which we both agree on

You disagree with the point I never actually made, which was "I don't really think it's worth spending any significant amount of money preserving video games over other charitable causes"

If you want to reply to posts, please make sure you read them properly before replying, otherwise you end up misrepresenting people which is both annoying, and can derail the thread

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
like not only is Palmer a racist dipshit who donated to trump and did all of that stupid meme stuff, but he is currently the ceo of a company that is working on AI defense technology that, among many things, works to immediately identify immigrants crossing the border illegally. this dude is a fuckhead to the very core of his being. i hope he chokes from the excitement of winning this auction

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
How come this doesn't belong to Sony?
Just got took by people who worked on the project back in the day and where high up, I think this is the one that belonged to the then CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, but he left it at a company that went bankrupt and an employee bought it in a lot during the bankruptcy auction. I'm pretty sure Sony just bricked most of the few that were made and washed their hands with them.

Edit: it is that Nintendo PlayStation. Eurogamer article on the current auction that covers how it was found.
www.eurogamer.net

Ultra-rare Nintendo PlayStation prototype up for auction

Fancy owning a slice of video game history? The infamous and ultra-rare PlayStation SNES prototype console dug up in 20…

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about the rest of you guys but personally I'm seeing this as a fantastic opportunity to bankrupt a white supremacist.

He's worth billions, no chance of that.

If what he's saying is true, better him than some reseller or someone who'd just hide it for the rest of his life.

No guarantee he's telling the truth, however.

I also find it strange that neither Sony or Nintendo don't somehow lay claim to this unit, since it was never meant to be publicly available.

Oct 30, 2017
Guy always sounds so damn lame.

"the most advanced videogame storage facility ever constructed." Just sounds like such a douche.