• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
He wants to preserve and digitize all the classic games so they can be used to pacify the unruly masses in their VR headsets like the good little capitalist sheep we are

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I would contribute to a Kickstarter to buy this and put it in a public museum somewhere.

I hate the idea of gaming artefacts of genuine significance ending up in the private collections of the uber-wealthy.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda sounds like he's full of shit, but either way, as has already been mentioned in this thread, that kind of money could be put to exponentially better uses for game preservation than putting that console behind some glass, and all the relevant info that can be extracted from it is already out there and widely available. Buying it for your collection is your prerogative, but doing this in the name of preservation is disingenuous at best. His ego stroking on Twitter is gross.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, i really don't really care if that protoype is being 'preserved'.

Like, sure, it's fun trivia - "originally the Playstation was meant to be a Nintendo console with a Sony CD drive". This is well documented. But the physical thing - i'd just call it what it is, a rich person's collector's item.
Go ahead Palmer, buy it with your Facebook money, but don't pretend you're doing it for some noble "IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!" cause. You're not Indiana Jones, you're Panama Hat.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
It should really go to a museum for videogames for all to visit but where?

There's one in Texas that's fairly big I hear.

I like the idea of it going to a game museum. I mean, it isn't like there's any games to preserve on this thing, right? Do they have any game prototypes that can actually run on it?

Also, fuck Palmer Luckey.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

I like the idea of it going to a game museum. I mean, it isn't like there's any games to preserve on this thing, right? Do they have any game prototypes that can actually run on it?

I also don't like the idea of rich people just collecting shit.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like he's working on some really interesting stuff.
Let's hope his comment about it becoming publicly available does materialise, which I suspect is actually way more likely that it moving into the private collection of someone who is less of a public figure.

Hopefully then it won't just disappear into the dark web of collectors who literally sit on the most amazing things. They don't want to make their things publicly available , as it means their item becomes less valuable.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I read Lucy Palmer and thought it was something different

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
The New Indiana Jones movie is going to be about stealing the Nintendo PlayStation Prototype from Palmer Lucky's advance storage facility (actually a swamp with tons of alligators). The line "it belongs in a museum" will be said.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I am preserving the original copies in the most advanced videogame storage facility ever constructed

Shame you can't preserve yourself in it you cunt.

e9cf5060bc298f935aff86a5b64efdb1.gif

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Dude can buy whatever he wants with the money he's got. I imagine that if he wins he'll keep it somewhere safe, but as far as legitimate preservation, I doubt it.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he's lie about caring about preservation but I also don't think that's entirely why he wants it. I'm sure he wants it so he can have the satisfaction of being the only one that owns it.

If he is concerned about preservation he should donate it to a museum.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Everyone knee-deep in game collecting purports to be preservationists.

yeah, someone that is into preservation will probably try to share as much as possible (dumping BIOS, etc). i'm thinking about the M2 poster/collector that we have on this very board as a good example.

watch palmer be like the guy that hoarded Akka Arrh.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
How come this doesn't belong to Sony?

One of Sony's former executives kept it after leaving the company. When the company he later worked for went belly up after the recession they sold off everything he had in his office. One of those was the Nintendo PlayStation, which was bought at an auction by one of the company's employees with a bunch of silverware and old CD's. He didn't know what it was at the time. It sat in his attic for years before his son found out what it was through a Reddit post and decided to show it off. He and his dad toured around a bunch of conventions showing it off.

My guess is they aren't interested in holding on to it. The dad looks pretty old and I'm sure he'd like some cash to retire with and has no means to preserve an old prototype. Hence the auction.

Super Bunnyhop did a great video on the whole thing:

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It should really go to a museum for videogames for all to visit but where?

Should go to the national video game museum or something.

The Strong Museum: https://www.museumofplay.org/collections/video-and-other-electronic-game-collections

I work there

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
glad somebody is out there innovating on "how to hoard precious resources like a gamer" and "how to conserve gaming history, racistly", both really under-served fields of research.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have you know I have the highest quality Ikea shelving in the high tech climate controlled facility that is 2 of the 3 bedrooms in my apartment dedicated to video game trinkets thankyouverymuch

Pls follow subscribe and smash that like button on my channel retroherozeldaistheprincess dot youtub dot 8bit slash pixelpower

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's 300 thousand less spent on being a colossal piece of shit I guess.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Wait, Palmer Luckey? The guy from Oculus VR? Well, he can certainly afford it.

Oh well, this thing was doomed to forever disappear into a private collection the moment it was put up for auction anyway.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, it doesn't hugely matter who owns it. The device has been thoroughly analysed and shown off to the world by now. If he's really building some kind of advanced storage then he's probably one of the better people to keep it.

I keep seeing this awful take on the fact that we have videos and pictures that it's good enough to disappear into someone's private collection. Why do people keep saying this? Think of plenty of rare artifacts in the world that have been studied and had thousands of pictures taken of and if we'd be okay if those disappeared into someone's private collection. Just because we have pictures doesn't mean it shouldn't be preserved beyond those pictures.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
One of Sony's former executives kept it after leaving the company. When the company he later worked for went belly up after the recession they sold off everything he had in his office. One of those was the Nintendo PlayStation, which was bought at an auction by one of the company's employees with a bunch of silverware and old CD's. He didn't know what it was at the time. It sat in his attic for years before his son found out what it was through a Reddit post and decided to show it off. He and his dad toured around a bunch of conventions showing it off.

My guess is they aren't interested in holding on to it. The dad looks pretty old and I'm sure he'd like some cash to retire with and has no means to preserve an old prototype. Hence the auction.

Super Bunnyhop did a great video on the whole thing:

There was a recent video (like a month ago) where the guy explains he's kind of over the responsibility of bringing it to cons for people to see, particularly since he's losing money going to them apparently. And he doesn't want to donate it to someone because he assumes that person/institution will eventually go around and sell it later anyway, so he might as well benefit from it given the opportunity.

He also claimed to have received a 1.2 million offer before going to the auction, so we'll see if it goes as high...

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Or Nintendo. Interesting legal question!
The story on the auction page and that the current owner tells as well is that Olaf Olafsson took it with him when he left Sony, but then left it at his next company after he left and it just ended up in an auction lot for a bankruptcy sale. Whether or not Olafsson could have taken it is another issue I suppose...

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Well the second part was me saying " if it is this or nothing, this is better than nothing"

Which we both agree on

The first part was me saying "there are better causes that could use this money"

Which we both agree on

You disagree with the point I never actually made, which was "I don't really think it's worth spending any significant amount of money preserving video games over other charitable causes"

If you want to reply to posts, please make sure you read them properly before replying, otherwise you end up misrepresenting people which is both annoying, and can derail the thread

I think you need go reread your own post then:

While video games are by no means obscenely important in the grand scheme of things, they're still worth preserving

No they're not worth preserving if they take charitable money away from actually useful causes (which is and will continue to be the case).

Luckey deserves no praise for this, and neither does anyone else who donates money to such causes while pretending they're doing some great service to mankind.