• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
People who claim to be preservationists that don't actually work to keep things publicly accessible are just hoarders who are lying to you so you cheer for them.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The New Indiana Jones movie is going to be about stealing the Nintendo PlayStation Prototype from Palmer Lucky's advance storage facility (actually a swamp with tons of alligators). The line "it belongs in a museum" will be said.

It's definitely gonna be National Treasure 3, Nick Cage is already on the horn setting it up as we speak.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
If he actually cares he'd donate it to the right preservationists. Which he won't.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we please ban discussion of anyone who isn't a far left progressive? I'm tired of these racist bigots getting so much attention.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
Can't help but think if Luckey wins the bid, this thing will be gone forever. It really pains me that someone's wealth can allow them to become the de facto guardian of cultural artifacts. I know it's been this way forever, but it still feels so wrong to me.

Although, I'm honestly surprised more people don't seem to be upset that the console went up for auction in the first place. It's pretty reprehensible that someone would look to profit off of something they know is irreplaceable. I understand that it's been "preserved" in software sense, but the chances that another one of these surfaces seems very low, and to risk giving it to another private collector, whether they say they have good intentions or not, just isn't worth it.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I keep seeing this awful take on the fact that we have videos and pictures that it's good enough to disappear into someone's private collection. Why do people keep saying this? Think of plenty of rare artifacts in the world that have been studied and had thousands of pictures taken of and if we'd be okay if those disappeared into someone's private collection. Just because we have pictures doesn't mean it shouldn't be preserved beyond those pictures.

This is completely unhinged. It's a prototype videogame console that has been extensively documented and shown off in many public settings over the past three years, not the fucking Ark of the Covenant. Being in a private collection and not in a public display somewhere doesn't mean it's not being "preserved". If it was a completely unknown item that no one had seen before and absolutely no one else had gotten to look at it before it was passed into a private collection, I'd be more inclined to agree with you, but we have already everything we need. It would be nice for it to end up in a public collection somewhere so we could all look at it through a glass window at some point in our lives, but if it doesn't, so what?

Oct 28, 2017
This is completely unhinged. It's a prototype videogame console that has been extensively documented and shown off in many public settings over the past three years, not the fucking Ark of the Covenant. Being in a private collection and not in a public display somewhere doesn't mean it's not being "preserved". If it was a completely unknown item that no one had seen before and absolutely no one else had gotten to look at it before it was passed into a private collection, I'd be more inclined to agree with you, but we have already everything we need. It would be nice for it to end up in a public collection somewhere so we could all look at it through a glass window at some point in our lives, but if it doesn't, so what?
Because I don't want a disappointing asshole to have it...

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
It's like looking ahead to the PS5 launch...

I kid, I kid!

I wish I was disgustingly wealthy so I could bid on it. That thing is literally the turning point of the console wars. Its cancellation brought the original PSX into existence and Sony took Nintendo's crown.

I honestly wouldn't want it. If I can't use something then I don't want to own it. Something like this id buy and donate to a museum

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, I'm a wealthy public figure. Please stop bidding against me on this auction I want.

Nobody is that dumb. He has to be trolling. I think it's highly unlikely that wherever this listing's price ends up, the winning bidder actually pays. This this is too public and will get trolled to hell and back.

Oct 28, 2017
Whose private collection it's going into doesn't change the guy who quoted me's argument. Luckey is a prick, but that's irrelevant.
I understand it's a pure visceral reaction to the news. But right now I feel Nazis getting the Arc of the Covenant = Palmer Luckey getting the Nintendo PlayStation prototype. When VR was making its reappearance I had a great respect for Luckey and his story. Then well y'know...

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Huh, fancy seeing you here. I had a very fun time meeting you and the other archivists/historians at MAGFeat last month! It's sad that this particular artifact might end up in the private heap of someone as reprehensible as Palmer Luckey, so I'm glad that The Strong, The MADE, and the NVG are doing well in curating and maintaining similar items.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Palmer Luckey, the same asshole that helped win Trump the White House? How sad if treasure like this ends up with a monster like this guy.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Palmer Luckey, the same asshole that helped win Trump the White House? How sad if treasure like this ends up with a monster like this guy.
Not only that, he didn't even have the balls to own it. Muh fucker talkin about "I voted for Gary Johnson" while wearing "can't stump the Trump!" T shirts and going to Trump rallies. Just a rancid, spineless, scaredy cat, sack of white nationalist incel jizz.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not only that, he didn't even have the balls to own it. Muh fucker talkin about "I voted for Gary Johnson" while wearing "can't stump the Trump!" T shirts and going to Trump rallies. Just a rancid, spineless, scaredy cat, sack of white nationalist incel jizz.
yeah, and I remember his girlfriend is just the same as he is, racist, vile, despicable human beings. Cowards in top of that. Dont forget how his company got contracts for surveillance etc for the border in Trump's administration. Corruption through and through.

Oct 25, 2017
While I get the concern that this should be in a museum, which it should, keep in mind that the owners have been preserving, repairing, cataloging, documenting, and touring the device across the country out of their own pocket for years now at their own financial detriment. If they need the money, then they need the money. I ain't gonna hassle them in that.

That said, we need more people in a bidding war with this guy.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
His tweet announcing he is the current high biddIA]

Thought this was really interesting. Do you guys really think he is amassing a giant video game collection for preservation or he is full of BS?

I already saw some game preservation societies reach out to him on twitter for donations.

There are a few more tweets about his video game presevation but i can only embed so much, so check his twitter if you want to see them.
Wow, the biggest collection there is, in the most advanced storage facility available for it. I definitely believe him with no proof whatsoever.
Probably full of shit, but as long as he doesn't buy it to smash it live on Youtube, it's really no different from the previous owner.

He does have the biggest game collection but he didn't collect it himself, several years ago he won an auction for that collection for about 1 million $.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Is this the guy that's been on IGN's NVC a few times to talk about his group's preservation efforts? Maybe I'm misremembering..... He sounded decent there, but reading some replies here.....and some to his tweets.... Yikes.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Huh, fancy seeing you here. I had a very fun time meeting you and the other archivists/historians at MAGFeat last month! It's sad that this particular artifact might end up in the private heap of someone as reprehensible as Palmer Luckey, so I'm glad that The Strong, The MADE, and the NVG are doing well in curating and maintaining similar items.

I try to be in as many places as I can be.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
This is hilarious anyway.

Let him pay whatever he wants for some literally useless prototype.

This is an aborted product made by two companies that still exist, not some long lost artifact.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems the same as that pharma douche spending millions on an exclusive Wu Tang album. He isn't a video game preservationist, he wants it because it's one of a kind.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
.... the whole time I thought that this actually a collaboration between Nintendo and Sony and not just a Sony console like the N64

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Probably full of shit, but as long as he doesn't buy it to smash it live on Youtube, it's really no different from the previous owner.
Essentially this. Really wish this would be donated to a museum versus being put to auction... especially since it's not like the person who found it originally paid a huge price or anything.

.... the whole time I thought that this actually a collaboration between Nintendo and Sony and not just a Sony console like the N64

Nintendo licensed their hardware to a few companies in the 80's and early 90's (see things like the twin sharp famicom). The Sony agreement came before Nintendo decided to start clamping down on their hardware manufacturing.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know how. Do I just say Xbox a bunch?

Verified Member Program

Hi all, Yesterday we announced that we’d be rolling out a program where members of the games industry such as developers, community representatives and press could earn a “Verified status” on their account. We’re now happy to announce that we’ll be moving forward with this plan today and have...

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
"I am preserving the original copies in the most advanced videogame storage facility ever constructed"

Why does this give me "My dad works at nintendo" vibes lol. Like he might not be lying, but the way it comes off is too funny.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'm just glad the broke family is getting paid for something they found in their attic. At least we know for sure they have a legit bidder willing to pay 350k

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ugh.

FWIW he is heavily into retro systems. Ran the ModRetro forums where people mod retro consoles (think portable N64s). I frequented that forum but that was before the whole Oculus thing and before outing himself as Alt-Right/GamerGater/general piece of trash. So his claim of having the largest console collection sounds believable enough (though I can't help but suspect it consists of pallets of broken N64s and PS1s.
I knew I heard if this guy befoee

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there was bound to be some rich people that are geeky enough try doing something like this.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

Wow, that's one of my dream jobs (I almost applied for an archivist position there). But it makes perfect sense that you'd be there! lol

Can't help but think if Luckey wins the bid, this thing will be gone forever. It really pains me that someone's wealth can allow them to become the de facto guardian of cultural artifacts. I know it's been this way forever, but it still feels so wrong to me.

Although, I'm honestly surprised more people don't seem to be upset that the console went up for auction in the first place. It's pretty reprehensible that someone would look to profit off of something they know is irreplaceable. I understand that it's been "preserved" in software sense, but the chances that another one of these surfaces seems very low, and to risk giving it to another private collector, whether they say they have good intentions or not, just isn't worth it.
I don't know the story too much, but apparently the guy had taken the thing on the con circuit and let people play it, so he's done his part. He's ready to be done with the responsibility of owning it, and he figures if someone is going to make a lot of money on it, it might as well be him... which I guess in our capitalistic society, I don't really blame him for. If someone rich wants to buy it and then donate it as a tax write off, then let that person do it I guess. lol

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Is this the guy that's been on IGN's NVC a few times to talk about his group's preservation efforts? Maybe I'm misremembering..... He sounded decent there, but reading some replies here.....and some to his tweets.... Yikes.

He is the guy who sold Oculus to Facebook for 3 billions and then he got fired for donating $10.000 to anti-Hillary groups.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
"I am preserving the original copies in the most advanced videogame storage facility ever constructed"

Why does this give me "My dad works at nintendo" vibes lol. Like he might not be lying, but the way it comes off is too funny.

It honestly sounds like a line Kojima cut out of a Metal Gear game because it was finally "too meta".

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
He is the guy who sold Oculus to Facebook for 3 billions and then he got fired for donating $10.000 to anti-Hillary groups.

It wasn't an "anti-Hillary group", it was a group run by and with ties to white supremacists and bigots founded for the purpose of furthering these beliefs under the guise of "going back to the old days". For example from the announcement post on subreddit TheDonald, "....and in their newspapers when those liberals are trying to sipping their LGBTrans Helicopter Gendered Non-American Made Tea-ish Wannabe."