• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017

Stolen comment from Reddit:

For people who don't know that this means: it's VR locomotion sickness.

The "mismatch" (ie. disagreement of sensory input) from your eyes ("ocular system") and your vestibular system (your "inner ear", how you feel movement) when you see movement (in the VR headset) but don't feel movement (because you're not really moving).

This mismatch makes most people feel sick, hence why most VR apps/games use teleportation by default.

Palmer is claiming to have found a universal way to smoothly slide around in virtual worlds while not feeling sick.

This is an extraordinary claim. It would be incredible for VR if true - literally more important than any other advance in VR.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Amazing if he pulls it off.

I've never been one the be affected but some people I have demoed my setups with are.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I will begrudgingly enjoy the benefits of this in five years like the hypocrite bitch that I am.

Oct 27, 2017
Valuable if true. The first corner on Driveclub VR made me want to vomit. I soldiered on for a few more laps but had to stop in the end, I felt awful.

Strangely Far Point with the gun attachment didn't affect me much.

Its one of the big reasons I haven't got a psvr yet though, I'm concerned that I won't get my VR legs and end up with an expensive vomit simulator in my front room.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
man these twitter inventor billionaires putting on smug saviour airs rub me just the worst way

in addition to his already being a shit person

doubt-poster-c11cdaf871195b4305b9341b16eab0c3.jpg

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
If he can pull that off that would be amazing.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But resetera told me on a VR thread once that motion sickness in VR was minimal when I said most people I demo my setup end up dizzy/wanting to vomit!

Thanks god I am not a victim of that.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
His other plans seem a little... ambitious, to put it mildly. That the VR thing is even mentioned in the same breath doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
He should work on not being a fascist piece of shit.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't he busy trying to build a camera wall to keep immigrants out of the country or whatever the fuck his bigoted ass was doing?

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest news I've parsed here is that he now has an anime avatar.
Man let's not do that here.

Anyway, regardless of him being a bit of a fuckwad, a universal solution to this is the #1 thing that VR needs to be enjoyable by the masses; it may currently be expensive, but even beyond cost it's had barriers to enjoyment; namely controls (Solved by Knuckles), wires (Solved by wireless TP Cast) and motion sickness, which this would hopefully take care of.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember meeting and talking with Palmer Luckey in 2014 and his idea at the time was galvanic skin responses. I.e. shocking your temples. I told him good luck with that, as even I, one of the most insane VR supporters around, would never try that. I certainly hope he's come up with a better solution.

This is old news, and I'm not sure if anything really came from it, but Samsung was working on this more than two years ago: https://www.roadtovr.com/samsungs-new-headphones-trick-your-inner-ear-to-move-you-in-vr/

lol yes, nothing came of this, because as I said, convincing people to actually try these systems is extremely hard. Like, I'd never, ever try that stuff.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Whelp this thread went about as expected.
His views are shit we get it. The problem he's trying to solve is really fascinating though and why would I want someone to fail at solving a problem just because I hate him. That's some fickle shit

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I don't believe him but it would be amazing if true. It's one of the biggest barriers to VR, especially as it takes time to build up your "VR legs" and that initial feeling of sickness can put people off.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember meeting and talking with Palmer Luckey in 2014 and his idea at the time was galvanic skin responses. I.e. shocking your temples. I told him good luck with that, as even I, one of the most insane VR supporters around, would never try that. I certainly hope he's come up with a better solution.

lol yes, nothing came of this, because as I said, convincing people to actually try these systems is extremely hard. Like, I'd never, ever try that stuff.
Yea, that's some wacky shit.

However I'd definitely try it out.

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Well this thread went as expected.

Please pull this off, if not him then somebody!

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
he just needs to invent those omni directional treadmills like in Ready Player One, problem solved.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
If Hitler invented the cure for aids should we throw it in the trash?

This would be a good step, but I was hoping the motion sickness would drive forward locomotion solutions rather than encourage a workaround. I dont get sickness but gliding around an open world standing still is immersion breaking