• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Take aways from skimming:

- Possible Gyro aiming for Warframe?
- When porting, they feel like they're close to maximizing the Switch hardware but then go back after and think there's room to optimize. Nintendo also provides new tools to help them out every so often.
- No particular "Achilles heel" with developing on Switch. "pretty capable hardware with everything we've thrown at it."
- Biggest obstacles are the file sizes
- Very positive relationship with Nintendo and Bethesda.
- No release date for Warframe (of course they're not gonna reveal this in an AMA).
- Trying to close gap in terms of release date with Switch and other consoles
- Hint multiple times that there are more games coming to Switch, also into 2019
- Many other companies approaching them about porting to Switch (no specifics)
- Possibility of Subnautica on Switch, but TBD
- They have had thoughts and have plans for original games
- Not speaking for Bethesda or Nintendo, but they're happy with sales of Switch games.
- At the beginning, they approached companies (Psyonix, Bethesda, etc) about porting.
- Porting game like Doom takes less than a year
- Wolfenstein DLC not up to them
- Have high standards for a port; balance of resolution, frame rate, battery life, etc. Sounds like they enjoy the challenge
- Development of Doom and Wolf 2 started before Switch was available
- No problems with Nintendo content-wise and Doom/Wolf 2.
- Digital Extremes working on using Warframe PC accounts with Switch. They'll share more when they have more info.
- Dream game port would be Planetfall (lol)

There's probably more I missed but that's the stuff that jumped out at me.

OP
OP
mutantmagnet

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

- When porting, they feel like they're close to maximizing the Switch hardware but then go back after and think there's room to optimize. Nintendo also provides new tools to help them out every so often.
- No particular "Achilles heel" with developing on Switch. "pretty capable hardware with everything we've thrown at it."
- No release date for Warframe (of course they're not gonna reveal this in an AMA).
- Hint multiple times that there are more games coming to Switch, also into 2019
- Not speaking for Bethesda or Nintendo, but they're happy with sales of Switch games.
- At the beginning, they approached companies (Psyonix, Bethesda, etc) about porting.
- Have high standards for a port; balance of resolution, frame rate, battery life, etc. Sounds like they enjoy the challenge
- Digital Extremes working on using Warframe PC accounts with Switch. They'll share more when they have more info.

It took me awhile to notice they had 2 team members answering questions and this comment was illuminating about their skill.

We all work on multiple projects at once, so it's hard to divide the studio into 'teams'. If someone has expertise in something (or is just passionate about it), and a project has need, that person can pitch in and help out. The amount of 'context switching' we do is something fairly unique to our studio and it's one of the things we make sure we interview for, because not everyone can do it (or wants to). Our high mark for concurrent projects was 9, I believe.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for this

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you for sharing this. I admire the work they have done lately with making "impossible" ports, and I'm looking forward to their new stuff in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
"Working at Panic Button is fantastic! We have a very cool culture that's built on a lot of mutual respect and admiration- we're always fascinated with what each other work on. One of the best things about the type of work we do is that you never get stuck doing the same thing- there's always a new challenge and you're always learning. We're also a no-crunch studio and we do a lot of stuff outside of work (the whole studio just saw Ant Man and Wasp yesterday). I'm probably biased, but I wouldn't want to work anywhere else."

They do exist! But really, this is good to hear.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope Subnautica won't be a severe although still solid downport as that seems to be what they've been doing so far.