• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
  • Panay hinted that so-called "mixed reality" experiences could be coming to the Xbox
  • Demand for the Microsoft Xbox One X is "super high," Panos Panay, the company's head of devices, told CNBC

the high demand has also prompted warnings of shortages in some regions. The U.K.'s Xbox head Harvey Eagle said in a recent interview with Gamesindustry.bizthat he "can't guarantee that stock will be available in launch week for people to just walk into a store and pick up."

There are still no mixed reality headsets for the Xbox but Panay said that you may "start to see that happen."

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/01/microsoft-says-demand-for-xbox-one-x-is-super-high.html
I have no idea why CNBC is doing interviews about Xbox One X.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Slow news day, maybe.

I'm glad they're meeting their internal projections for preorders (as that's what it looks like Panay is saying), but we have absolutely no idea what those numbers are, so saying the demand is "super high" doesn't really amount to much in the way of something concrete.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always believe these kind of things are false flags to drum up demand further or a simple matter of not supplying enough. Especially since the Xbox One X is so expensive in most regions.

Not sure why it is "Mixed Reality", it is not really mixed but rather an Overlay if we are talking about AR. Sure, in the future these, AR and VR, may combine but I think this will be pretty far off.

I wonder when we will reach a consensus in how to call all these modifications and when this consensus will change again once we reach further technological levels.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Well, I guess it's a good thing the supply is meeting the super high demand in NA. XBX consoles still readily available on Amazon.

Meanwhile, I still can't find a SNES Classic...

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't doubt there is high demand but without actual numbers if you many they are producing and giving to regions it's harder to see how good his comment is

If they produced 100 and 99 are pre-ordered, yes that is huge demand but we've be like eh. If they made 20mil and 19m are pre-ordered that's high demand and it sounds amazing

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panay is annoying. I used to like him but over the years I have come to realize that for him everything is "super", "incredible", "amazing". I still like to hear him talk but he's more PR talk than even Aaron Greenberg. The last product presentations starting with Surface Pro 4 were very telling.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Great to see. Really happy to see a premium product do well in the console space. Hopefully it shows gamers will pay for higher end products like the X and Elite controller. Keep'em coming!

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we get hardware results from MS or is it all lumped together still? I wonder if we'll ever know how well it's doing, unless it's doing exceptionally well and they decide to rightfully brag about the numbers.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
I always believe these kind of things are false flags to drum up demand further or a simple matter of not supplying enough. Especially since the Xbox One X is so expensive in most regions.

Not sure why it is "Mixed Reality", it is not really mixed but rather an Overlay if we are talking about AR. Sure, in the future these, AR and VR, may combine but I think this will be pretty far off.

I wonder when we will reach a consensus in how to call all these modifications and when this consensus will change again once we reach further technological levels.

That's exactly what it is and nothing more. They are trying to play the Switch game here, same way Aaron Greenberg just said it's going to be a "must have" item this holiday.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we get hardware results from MS or is it all lumped together still? I wonder if we'll ever know how well it's doing, unless it's doing exceptionally well and they decide to rightfully brag about the numbers.
You will get your MAU and some wordy statement on how much history achievement it collected and be happy with it. =P

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I assume that just like now, we'll get Monthly Active Users and if they are #1 console in NPD, it will be lumped in (Xbox One/S/X) and they'll say that they were best selling console but no numbers.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Panay is annoying. I used to like him but over the years I have come to realize that for him everything is "super", "incredible", "amazing". I still like to hear him talk but he's more PR talk than even Aaron Greenberg. The last product presentations starting with Surface Pro 4 were very telling.

I love him. Love his enthusiasm. He's not for everyone I guess.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
At $500, I don't see how demand can be that high.

The comparison that's always pointed out to me is how active the high-end cellphone market is. The base (and then some) functionality of smartphones is delivered well below those price points, but there's a lot of buyers who, if a product checks the right boxes, don't have an issue spending $500+. It's different markets, but the same idea. Pre-order signals fit the concept.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Shortages in some regions -- Would they be re-allocating units to the U.S./U.K. from other regions to fulfill demand?

Noob

Oct 25, 2017
This user was warned for shitposting.
Microsoft bullshitting again for sure. They probably made like 100 units and calls it high demand lol.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
We don't know their expectations, it's possible they were like "no one is going to buy this but super hardcore people that care about power" and had low expectations and way more people are buying than they thought.
I find it hard to believe MS would even bother releasing it if they had that attitude. Expectations for this will be high. MS will want this to do very well (of course) to raise their MAUs and revenue when the One S is faltering and not bringing in enough $. They'll have very high hopes that this can someone (foolishly) turn the platform around. I feel it's too expensive, too late though. And once January rolls round it'll be back to square one.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shortages in some regions -- Would they be re-allocating units to the U.S./U.K. from other regions to fulfill demand?

I'd be surprised if they had that high demand in the U.K. Really expensive consoles have never had huge demand here and the Xbox One has been struggling all year in the U.K.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think the 1X will do well this holiday, like Pro levels. But this is just PR. They can't say "It's gonna do mediocre. Just enough."

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The comparison that's always pointed out to me is how active the high-end cellphone market is. The base (and then some) functionality of smartphones is delivered well below those price points, but there's a lot of buyers who, if a product checks the right boxes, don't have an issue spending $500+. It's different markets, but the same idea. Pre-order signals fit the concept.
You do realize that cell phones in the U.S. is subsidized and financed right? No one is actually paying $500+ outright for a phone.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok...it's Pr means nothing. Super high compared to what....A retail insider in the NPD thread said it was pretty muted.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Out of curiosity, I checked at one of the smaller Gamestop stores near me to see if I could get a hard number on their paid-off pre-orders. 51 systems (a mix of regular and Scorpio versions) paid off fully for their location. I half didn't believe them until they said they were physically at the location. The door to the back room couldn't full open because of all the stock.

You do realize that cell phones in the U.S. is subsidized and financed right? No one is actually paying $500+ outright for a phone.

The high-end market is a bit different, and the frequency that those devices change/upgrade is faster than the subsidies from major providers, as well as the subsidy only covering a portion of the price. It may be hard to understand, but people have money to blow on stuff they don't necessarily need. If it was a question of utility, fully subsidized phones at 1/4 to 1/2 the price would more than cover the same features.

Allseeingeye

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phones are subsidized, sell more in 1 quarter then some consoles do a lifetime, and are close to a necessity in today's society.... $500 dollar console is niche and won't have the same demand.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think it is true.

XBOX X is actually in a lot higher demand than Pro was. It also helps that it will have plenty of titles the first day unlike PRO where it was slim pickings.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Demand for the X is high alright...it just ain't the Xbox.

Please let me import this into Malaysia easily. There are dozens of us Microsoft...dozens!

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
This is always anecdotal but I was in Gamestop trading stuff in for Odyssey and just asked how the XB X was doing and they said it had been pretty tepid.

Allseeingeye

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think it is true.

XBOX X is actually in a lot higher demand than Pro was. It also helps that it will help plenty of titles the first day unlike PRO where it was slim pickings.
Umm you think a $500 box, has more demand in europe and World wide than playstation? or just US? Even Us is like;y. Power was never a seller, especially for a mid-gen refresh.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So the GameStop I'm getting my X at shut off their pre-orders at 47 (18 scorpios) and between the 3 stores in town there are a total of 108 pre-ordered. I know just 3 stores locally who knows how it's doing nation wide, but just thought I'd throw that out there. The PS4 Pro btw in town between all 3 had a total of 50 or so, can't remember as that was the last year I chose to work for them over the holiday, no more 2nd job crap for me.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Umm you think a $500 box, has more demand in europe and World wide than playstation? or just US? Even Us is like;y. Power was never a seller, especially for a mid-gen refresh.

Never said that. But many PS4 fans didn't jump to PRO especially when it launched. Xbox fans have been hungry for a big update since the first Xbox came out. And this is also a bigger jump unlike PRO. The machine is a 4K native player as well further enticing customers.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Harvey Eagle, wow. Haven't heard that name in some time. That's the guy that in 2014 couldn't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, right? I bet he can now.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad I missed the preorder window at my local Gamestop. I really despise the look and text on the Scorpio edition and the entertainment center below my HDR television can't support a horizontal console anyway. I'd much rather have the normal retail X, which I can't wait for.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remember that expectations are low based on Phil Spencer comments, so don't get your hopes very high bc it will lead to disappointment, 1M X sold would be great by the end of the year.

Allseeingeye

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never said that. But many PS4 fans didn't jump to PRO especially when it launched. Xbox fans have been hungry for a big update since the first Xbox came out. And this is also a bigger jump unlike PRO. The machine is also a 4K native player also enticing customers.
You literally said it will have way more demand than Pro..... 4k native is more niche than niche, it barely has any market penetration. It's a minor factor with slim and it is now.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You literally said it will have way more demand than Pro..... 4k native is more niche than niche, it barely has any market penetration. It's a minor factor with slim and it is now.

WW no chance it will be doa but in the US I see this doing great tbh at least this holiday.

I might be wrong though about both situations.

Allseeingeye

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harvey Eagle, wow. Haven't heard that name in some time. That's the guy that in 2014 couldn't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, right? I bet he can now.
lol I remember reading some embarassing posts from Ms execs back then good times, didn't one not know what Europe was?

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017

Of course it's PR talk. At the end of the day he's doing his job.

Well, we'll know soon enough how "super high" the demand for XBOX One X actually is.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, I hope is sells well. I won't be able to get it at launch due to some unforeseen expenses popping up but, soon™.

xlestattx

Oct 30, 2017

Um, yeah they do. A buddy of mine in Florida bought like 20 iphones at full price at the last new phone launch and immediately flipped them on ebay for 50-100% profit. When something is sold out even the subsidized folks will be crazy enough to spend stupid $$ to get their hands on one.

Microsoft sent me two Xbox Ones for free at launch and I sold the extra one for well above retail. Premium electronics are almost always in high demand, and if there are supply constraints, it just makes them more desirable it seems.