• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Um, yeah they do. A buddy of mine in Florida bought like 20 iphones at full price at the last new phone launch and immediately flipped them on ebay for 50-100% profit. When something is sold out even the subsidized folks will be crazy enough to spend stupid $$ to get their hands on one.

Microsoft sent me two Xbox Ones for free at launch and I sold the extra one for well above retail. Premium electronics are almost always in high demand, and if there are supply constraints, it just makes them more desirable it seems.
Yes, scalping is a thing for highly in demand products but it's not the rule. Financing is the default option for a reason.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Um, yeah they do. A buddy of mine in Florida bought like 20 iphones at full price at the last new phone launch and immediately flipped them on ebay for 50-100% profit. When something is sold out even the subsidized folks will be crazy enough to spend stupid $$ to get their hands on one.

Microsoft sent me two Xbox Ones for free at launch and I sold the extra one for well above retail. Premium electronics are almost always in high demand, and if there are supply constraints, it just makes them more desirable it seems.
OK, point? Scalping is a thing, but the mass market finance...

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Scalping is a thing for day 1 limited access. Once the honeymoon is over, no one wants to pay for it.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Day 1 purchases are almost always high due to early adopters. In Xbone's case its going to be a lot of those people who are tired of hearing the PS4 power narrative for the past 4 years.

Its what comes after is what you should pay attention to. Like how people weren't impressed by Switch selling out at launch but months later its still selling out and now most people are finally convinced its been extremely successful.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the 1X will do well this holiday, like Pro levels. But this is just PR. They can't say "It's gonna do mediocre. Just enough."
Expecting much more then Pro, that did quite poor if i remember correctly. ~300k at launch in NA.

TTLAgent

Oct 31, 2017
the Internet
It does seem like marketing speak for, "we didn't make a ton of these because we weren't really sure what the market was, so in theory it may be tough to find one, but you'll probably be OK, we just want to spin it so it makes us look popular like Nintendo"

I did preorder a Scorpio Edition though so...

Noob

Oct 25, 2017
Expecting much more then Pro, that did quite poor if i remember correctly. ~300k at launch in NA.
If it's 300k in NA at launch, how about Asia and Europe? remember Sony always sell more PS than Xbox overseas. PS4/PRO are dominating the console market right now.

It does seem like marketing speak for, "we didn't make a ton of these because we weren't really sure what the market was, so in theory it may be tough to find one, but you'll probably be OK, we just want to spin it so it makes us look popular like Nintendo"

I did preorder a Scorpio Edition though so...
correct. It's all hype, I also did preorder a scorpio model. But I might end up selling mine.

borges

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Argentina
Just stating the facts. You mad?
Yeah, very much mad. Stock options on MSFT due to your low expectations on XBOX X sales made the market to rumble.
On topic, and doing basic fact check, Microsoft made a bunch more of 100 units. So please point to me where you get that "fact" that Microsoft manufactured 100 Xs.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
The same thing happened with the Elite controller. They didn't expect a ton of people to want one but it was awesome and a lot more people spent the money to get it.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I assume it would still be safe to pre-order on Amazon right now and get near launch, no?

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I might be pulling this out of my ass, but I sort of remember reading somewhere that Panos's hardware team was involved in the development of the X? Is that right?

Panos is over all hardware at MS. I think that happened as far back as 2014 when Phil was promoted and the Xbox team was made part of the Windows team.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assume it would still be safe to pre-order on Amazon right now and get near launch, no?
Correct. Xbox One X standard edition is still available for 7th November release date on Amazon.com right now.

I might be pulling this out of my ass, but I sort of remember reading somewhere that Panos's hardware team was involved in the development of the X? Is that right?
Not just the Xbox One X, but also the Xbox One S.

AaronB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the end, Panos added that he was super-pumped to get this amazing technology into your hands, and that he was super-duper-pumped by the awesomeness of it's power.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I always believe these kind of things are false flags to drum up demand further or a simple matter of not supplying enough. Especially since the Xbox One X is so expensive in most regions.

Not sure why it is "Mixed Reality", it is not really mixed but rather an Overlay if we are talking about AR. Sure, in the future these, AR and VR, may combine but I think this will be pretty far off.

I wonder when we will reach a consensus in how to call all these modifications and when this consensus will change again once we reach further technological levels.

I mean, preorders have been going in and out of stock since preorders started going up. Maybe they're exaggerating a bit but even if they are it seems like the X is actually poised to do pretty well. Personally, I think MS has done a way better job marketing and getting behind the X than Sony ever has with the Pro. Obviously this is partly due to MS needing it more than Sony but I digress...

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thread going well I see.

Xbox One X will have good demand on the US I'm pretty sure, Europe might do some good numbers too.

Hopefully Xbox, Playstation and Switch sell tens of millions this holiday.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not very surprised, since day one they said they expect to sell more S than X that probably including this holiday season and yet the X became (according to them) the fastest or most (don't remember) Xbox they have released. Seeing the reaction not only with it being sold along side a cheaper xbox, there expectations of selling more S and the reaction to the price probably had there expectations and there manufacturing at much smaller number than it should have been.

In the end i just hope that anyone who wants one is able to get one at launch or maybe the day after, they did say they will be shipping new consoles every week after launch on Podcast Unlocked so there is hope for those that didn't pre order. Also, Amazon don't you dare fuck up my preorder.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think they will get close to 20 million combined, if not a bit more depending on stock.

nvm, that seems unreasonable in scope of sales

edit 2: added my original text back

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Im always happy when any of the console makers report postive news about the hobby I love. I never understand those who dont.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thread going well I see.

Xbox One X will have good demand on the US I'm pretty sure, Europe might do some good numbers too.

Hopefully Xbox, Playstation and Switch sell tens of millions this holiday.

I expect it to crater in Europe outside of their hardcore fanbase, it simply is too expensive for most. Especially if you own a PS4 or expect the PS5 to launch in the future.

I mean, preorders have been going in and out of stock since preorders started going up. Maybe they're exaggerating a bit but even if they are it seems like the X is actually poised to do pretty well. Personally, I think MS has done a way better job marketing and getting behind the X than Sony ever has with the Pro. Obviously this is partly due to MS needing it more than Sony but I digress...

They are different systems coming out at different times. Microsoft wants that positive coverage and spent more on their upgrade box then Sony did. Also easier to market if your hardware is better, which results in more obvious improvements that casual consumers can actually see.
I will always consider such posts to be mostly PR, doesn't matter which company.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
i actually think this will outsell the Pro worldwide from its release to the end of the year and continue outselling it in America.
I think this will take off in a way the pro never did.
That said the ps4 will continue selling way more because the pro was never really needed for Sony.

herminihildo

Oct 30, 2017
MS have been hyping th X for a year now. And with a big marketing push, this is bound to have a huge day1 sales and probably will have good sales for the rest of the holiday. Not sure about next year though.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there's high demand, MS must have manufactured a ton of units, as you can easily pre-order one for release date delivery right now on Amazon US.

herminihildo

Oct 30, 2017
i actually think this will outsell the Pro worldwide from its release to the end of the year and continue outselling it in America.
I think this will take off in a way the pro never did.
That said the ps4 will continue selling way more because the pro was never really needed for Sony.
I don't know. NA and UK would probably pull some numbers for the X. But those are just 2 regions compared with the rest of the world. I think it'll be close. Especially with the Battlefront II bundle and a price drop during the holiday for Pro.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine any other scenario than the X doing decently in the US but middling in the UK with sales falling off a cliff by January. Other PAL countries and Japan aren't even worth mentioning.

It has been a rough year for the Xbox One in the UK and I can't see the X stopping the rot.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Will definitely be interesting to see November npd, wonder if MS will post numbers this time around. Not expecting it, but would be interesting.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Don't most people just pay monthly? That takes the bite out of it. I can't say I know anyone personally who buys their smartphone at full price.

My point was that there's often demand for premium products.

The Elite controller had a similar scoffed at reaction when it was announced as a $150 controller, yet Microsoft couldn't keep up with demand for a long time.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man the X is a really cool console, I'm trying to justify buying one but for now I can't (got a decent enough pc), so hopefully MS really knocks out of the park in the experiences they can only realize in the console space a few months from now.