• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
What's the confusion? Can't compare it to the original, which you didn't quote, but if you liked the original, I think you'll like this.

probably just noting that you can't know if it feels like the original or not, so it might be off in a distracting way to old fans.

Great to hear that it's enjoyable for a new player though, thanks for letting us know!

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know if the devs announced this running at 60 on PS4 or PC?

Rather wait if that's the case - but if not, I'm in.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
Looks great - hopefully get a Switch this summer to check it out.

One thing I will say - nothing about this remake diminishes the original. Much like how SOTC remake had a different feel, there is a certain locality and aesthetic that is just timeless and represents the very best of Sega at there very lowest moment with the Saturn in the orginal.

240p, muddy textures at 20fps with no shading on a console that was constantly berated as being shit at 3D, but Sega made something that was beautiful.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao every time I check the download it's like it's taking longer.

Gimme my PD

Christo750

May 10, 2018
probably just noting that you can't know if it feels like the original or not, so it might be off in a distracting way to old fans.

Great to hear that it's enjoyable for a new player though, thanks for letting us know!
Fair enough! I'm through Episode 2 and I'm liking it more. It's strangely taking time to get used to though.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
What's the confusion? Can't compare it to the original, which you didn't quote, but if you liked the original, I think you'll like this.

The original was amazing. Let's say the remake is only good, because specifically of changes made to elements compared to the original (this is just supposition). You only know the remake so you'd give the thumbs up. But many people who played the original will notice the downgrade and will not like it at all, and will instead be angry.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Impressions:

- There's definitely a bit more loading than I'd imagined.
- Locking on seems to take slightly longer than it did in the original. Not really going to be noticeable to anyone that hadn't played it, though.
- I feel like the regular gun blasts have a much narrower hitbox. Shooting down the missiles from the first boss seemed more difficult, even though the reticule was aimed directly at it.
- The new visuals are nice, but I feel like particularly in the first half of the first level, the enemies blend in a bit too much with the background. This wasn't a problem in the original where they contrasted the blue water & sky backdrop. Not game breaking, but it was definitely an adjustment.

Enjoyed what I played so far, though.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough! I'm through Episode 2 and I'm liking it more. It's strangely taking time to get used to though.

as you play this, try to imagine that they somehow turned this into an ATB RPG... and it worked. And it doesn't feel like an RPG simply set in the panzer dragoon universe, it actually feels like Panzer dragoon. It's an RPG, that reminds you of the feeling you get when you play a shmup.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
The original was amazing. Let's say the remake is only good, because specifically of changes made to elements compared to the original (this is just supposition). You only know the remake so you'd give the thumbs up. But many people who played the original will notice the downgrade and will not like it at all, and will instead be angry.
Totally fair, and I'm aware of my blind spots to the original, but at least they'd only be out $25. I think that price sets the expectation.

as you play this, try to imagine that they somehow turned this into an ATB RPG... and it worked. And it doesn't feel like an RPG simply set in the panzer dragoon universe, it actually feels like Panzer dragoon. It's an RPG, that reminds you of the feeling you get when you play a shmup.
I am fascinated by this series lmao that sounds ridiculous.

- I feel like the regular gun blasts have a much narrower hitbox. Shooting down the missiles from the first boss seemed more difficult, even though the reticule was aimed directly at it.
I noticed this too. Again, can't compare to the original, but it was tricky. And aiming feels a little stiff to begin with.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

They didn't just turn it into an ATB, they turned into an ATB that is neck and neck with Grandia for the title of best ATB battle system ever.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
Switch Limited Run #67: Panzer Dragoon Classic Edition [PREORDER] | $59.99

PanzerDragoon_CE_1080x.png

I need this.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great - hopefully get a Switch this summer to check it out.

One thing I will say - nothing about this remake diminishes the original. Much like how SOTC remake had a different feel, there is a certain locality and aesthetic that is just timeless and represents the very best of Sega at there very lowest moment with the Saturn in the orginal.

240p, muddy textures at 20fps with no shading on a console that was constantly berated as being shit at 3D, but Sega made something that was beautiful.

Pretty much nailed it. Recently picked up a white Saturn, and the first game I played on it was PD. Looking at a screenshot of the game you'd think that it was one of the crappiest looking early 3D games ever created. But when you actually play it it is remarkably beautiful, and something that only Sega could pull off at that time and on that system. The aesthetics, the atmosphere, the music, the addictive gameplay loop. It's fantastic.

I really need to get around to playing Zwei and then Saga.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OMG this download why

I just want to listen to Flight again man

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
hey my username is relevant in this thread! Bought and downloading

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I noticed this too. Again, can't compare to the original, but it was tricky. And aiming feels a little stiff to begin with.
Yeah. Though I used the d-pad to aim in Stage 1 since that's what I used in the original, but I'm using the analognstick in stage 2 now and it feels a bit smoother. Might just stick with that.

Speaking of stage 2, the aesthetics here are definitelyly closer to the original than the first stage, which I appreciate. I hope the boss is still fun, it was my favorite fight in the original even though it's hilariously easy.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of the SHMUP Panzer Dragoon games, Level 4 route 1 in Panzer Dragoon Zwei is by far my favorite level, that drop in the elevator is incredible:

The alternate routes in that level are great, too. Panzer Dragoon Zwei really picks up the pace from Panzer Dragoon 1, and introduces a lot of really cool in-game story elements. The bit early on when your baby dragon first flies is an awesome moment.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of the SHMUP Panzer Dragoon games, Level 4 route 1 in Panzer Dragoon Zwei is by far my favorite level, that drop in the elevator is incredible:

The alternate routes in that level are great, too. Panzer Dragoon Zwei really picks up the pace from Panzer Dragoon 1, and introduces a lot of really cool in-game story elements. The bit early on when your baby dragon first flies is an awesome moment.

I've played the original a lot thanks to Orta but Zwei's always been out of my reach. I'm dying over here for that game to be remade as well.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

Zwei is one of my fave games ever. Love all the dragon progression mechanics.

Also

Forest of Taboo is a GOAT track

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017

That part of the level where you're on that narrow walkway surrounded by water though *chefkiss*

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I have my Saturn hooked up right now so I think I'll play through the original and Zwei before playing this.

It's a shame they didn't do Zwei first, because it's a much better game.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That part of the level where you're on that narrow walkway surrounded by water though *chefkiss*
I love the boss too, and all the crazy use of transparency they pulled off on the saturn for that fight. The Panzer Dragoon games on the saturn did water so well. The bit in Panzer Dragoon Zwei when you go to Uru at night and have to avoid the spotlights that reflect off the water surface. So pretty for the system.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have my Saturn hooked up right now so I think I'll play through the original and Zwei before playing this.

It's a shame they didn't do Zwei first, because it's a much better game.

They should have bundled them together as one game, tbh. Even though Panzer Dragoon Zwei is a good game, it's still light on content for a modern game even when you go back and play all the routes. Orta got around this by having the entirety of Panzer Dragoon as an unlockable through pandora's box, they should have done the same thing with Zwei.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- The new visuals are nice, but I feel like particularly in the first half of the first level, the enemies blend in a bit too much with the background. This wasn't a problem in the original where they contrasted the blue water & sky backdrop. Not game breaking, but it was definitely an adjustment.
The cave in the second episode is anotjer example of this. Giant sandworms are amazing though

I'm playing with the d-pad because analog stick feels so imprecise. Anyone feeling like this?