• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how are

frame rate
controls

thx

It's 30 fps, I'm not seeing dips but then again I don't expect to see dips at 30 fps. The original game ran at an even lower FPS, but I want 60 fps Panzer Dragoon.

The controls feel weird to me. I normally actually play Panzer Dragoon with the flight stick, so I'm sure that's why, but my aim seems terrible so far.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Man, there is a really long delay between when you press the shoulder buttons to turn the camera, and it actually turns. Like, I'm not exaggerating, a quarter of a second.
This combined with the harder to aim gun makes the Guardian Boss in stage 4 a lot more of a pain in the ass. It overall doesn't feel as snappy as the original.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
It's 30 fps, I'm not seeing dips but then again I don't expect to see dips at 30 fps. The original game ran at an even lower FPS, but I want 60 fps Panzer Dragoon.

The controls feel weird to me. I normally actually play Panzer Dragoon with the flight stick, so I'm sure that's why, but my aim seems terrible so far.

mmm
not a fan...
I LOVED the saturn games, I even bought a Japanese Saturn to play Saga..
what should I do?!

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My initial thoughts are that this is a sorta crummy port of a pretty good game. They really should have released Zwei with this. I get the feeling a lot of people are going to wonder what the big deal with Panzer Dragoon is after playing this.

Oct 25, 2017
yall really getting excited over a Polish-made Panzer Dragoon game lol?

edit: no offense to Poland. I'm Canadian and i'd have made a similar comment if this was a Canadian-made Panzer Dragoon game. ; D

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Thanks for impressions everyone, hopefully they'll be able to iron out many of the issues in time :) Think it's clear this is a lower budget affair but the team seems really passionate, wishing them the best. Hope we get more licensed out returns of old Sega IP

Will likely wait for the PC release in any case, hopefully won't be too long a wait.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
As a huge fan of the series, I am pretty let down by this release. The first stage was such a spectacle in the original, and beautifully underlined by that sweet score, and this game just feels so flat and cheap out the gate. I am getting some frame dips when around the rocky areas and on some enemy patterns as well. And WHAT is up with the shoulder button delay?!

The colors being off is the biggest turn off here though. That water should sparkle, shine and just ooze atmosphere, color reflection and blue blue skies. Instead it just looks like my local river from inside my window.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new opening is really good but it lacks the desolate and empty loneliness of the original FMV, which duh, standards have changed pretty heavily since.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
This was a great Mini Direct!

But even if it wasn't, Panzer Dragoon Remake launching out of nowhere would save it!

What a fine day this is!

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
got through level 2 and now I'm actually starting to see dips more regularly. Level 1 ran fine, but I noticed it started chugging on my end around the sand worms. I have to say I'm pretty let down by this.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Surprised it's 30fps. The gorgeous Panzer Dragoon Orta on OG Xbox ran at 60fps.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
sounds like this is going to need patching. :/ and even then there seem to be creative decisions made which means it's never going to be the game I hoped it would.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
In the options, you can adjust aiming sensitivity, and there's an option for modern controls (It's set to Classic by default). I'll try that out and see if it improves things.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
yall really getting excited over a Polish-made Panzer Dragoon game lol?

edit: no offense to Poland. I'm Canadian and i'd have made a similar comment if this was a Canadian-made Panzer Dragoon game. ; D
Offcourse, Polish devs are among the worlds best. Witcher 3 anyone?

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I've been super excited for this game, but I wish it wasn't a timed exclusive. I want the PC version. :/

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
What a time to be alive. I played Sonic Mania. Monster Boy. Shenmue 3. Panzer Dragoon remake is downloading, Streets of Rage 4 is soon.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Episode 5 looked.... rough from the stream I saw.

Like large patches of trees with very glaring visual glitches. Hopefully can be patched relatively quickly.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the options, you can adjust aiming sensitivity, and there's an option for modern controls (It's set to Classic by default). I'll try that out and see if it improves things.

I tried that first, I don't like it. It's ported from Panzer Dragoon Zwei, but it doesn't feel good on the switch controller. It uses the trigger to fire, but the firing rate feels really... slow? in this game. In the original, your gun felt really fast, one button press would shoot like 5 or so rapid fire shots. But here, it doesn't feel like that,a nd thus it feels bad on the trigger to me.

incidentally, you can't change your controls in-game, you have to quit to the main menu to do so. And each time you go back into the game, there's a long load time. So my first time playing, I booted up, then realized Y axis wasn't inverted, so had to go to options. While there, I saw the modern control scheme so tried that, had to wait to load, then found I didn't like them. So I had to quit, then go change back to classic, then had to load again.

What should have been just a few seconds of changing an option on the pause menu, turned into minutes of load time.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I love Panzer Dragoon so much and even replayed the original fairly recently again, so it hurts me to hear that people are disappointed with the remake. However, I'm not surprised at all. I said it multiple times, but the reactions of Japanese fans on Twitter when they played it at TGS were somewhat bad too. I don't remember if they talked about the framerate, but they definitely mentioned the colors and also the shooting itself. I can't help myself and will support this and of course will make my own opinion after playing it, but yeah: the colors should be a lot more vibrant than they are. Rip blue water, I guess.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Still downloading... Maybe everyone rushed to buy the game and that's why it's so slow XD (positive thinking)

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played a bit more

That's an old school game. With a very odd and old school pop in. Like whole mountain appearing little my little with a fake fog effect. Long time no see. And I don't think it's 720p handheld either. Look very soft nd fuzzy. And dat loading

Expected better with the Nintendo direct.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I tried that first, I don't like it. It's ported from Panzer Dragoon Zwei, but it doesn't feel good on the switch controller. It uses the trigger to fire, but the firing rate feels really... slow? in this game. In the original, your gun felt really fast, one button press would shoot like 5 or so rapid fire shots. But here, it doesn't feel like that,a nd thus it feels bad on the trigger to me.

incidentally, you can't change your controls in-game, you have to quit to the main menu to do so. And each time you go back into the game, there's a long load time. So my first time playing, I booted up, then realized Y axis wasn't inverted, so had to go to options. While there, I saw the modern control scheme so tried that, had to wait to load, then found I didn't like them. So I had to quit, then go change back to classic, then had to load again.

What should have been just a few seconds of changing an option on the pause menu, turned into minutes of load time.
The rate of fire is ridiculously slow here, yeah. I also remember being able to use A+B+C as shooting buttons in the original, and being able to get an even better rate of fire by pressing them all. Doesn't seem to be the case here.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I hate seeing one of my favourite games series brought back like this. Every Panzer Dragoon game at the time of release represented the pinnacle of 3D graphics with jaw dropping scenes that left you with a sense of wonderment and an almost dream-like haze. A low budget farmed out remake of the first game is far from being the revival the series deserves.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished two levels and here's my impression.

I absolutely understand that the Saturn devotees here (the people we're reaching out to in the first place) can be let down, but I am absolutely all in on this game. I actually really like the changes to the aesthetic because I'm not sure a hard replication of the Saturn look would work in modern HD.

My only problem is that the music and sound effects seem kind of muffled, and the continues from the old game are back and I remember dying a lot in level 4.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
damn, still wanting Saturn case LRG's but impressions here are....rough. may just play the original later.

The new opening is really good but it lacks the desolate and empty loneliness of the original FMV, which duh, standards have changed pretty heavily since.

this was always my biggest fear - how would moebius' beautiful, lonely art style transfer?
shoulder button issues sound crappy, but this is my main concern

Surprised it's 30fps. The gorgeous Panzer Dragoon Orta on OG Xbox ran at 60fps.

the OG series are masterpieces that still hold up, but even among them, orta remains a beast

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Played the first two levels and... I dunno. I need to boot up my emulator to feel them side by side. I think I would have rather had a remastered port of Orta. I think it does not look good and the frame rate is pretty rough, and the controls feel way off. I love that look of the first level in the original, and this new version feels nothing like that. And what's up with the blaster sound? And the music is way worse than the original orchestral

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017

I absolutely understand that the Saturn devotees here (the people we're reaching out to in the first place) can be let down, but I am absolutely all in on this game. I actually really like the changes to the aesthetic because I'm not sure a hard replication of the Saturn look would work in modern HD.

My only problem is that the music and sound effects seem kind of muffled, and the continues from the old game are back and I remember dying a lot in level 4.
The only level I really have that aesthetic niggle with is the first, and even then, I still really like how it looks, it's just different. I think the original is probably closer to the Moebius artwork but I really do like the redone visuals.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Sad to read the impressions here. Hopefully some of issues can be fixed before the PC release.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't hate the look of the game, it's just different is all. Different isn't bad.

But I'm super bummed out about the gameplay faults.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only level I really have that aesthetic niggle with is the first, and even then, I still really like how it looks, it's just different. I think the original is probably closer to the Moebius artwork but I really do like the redone visuals.

Yeah that's how I feel as well. Panzer Dragoon made the best of the Saturn's technical limitations, I just don't know how that would replicate now.

I don't hate the look of the game, it's just different is all. Different isn't bad.

But I'm super bummed out about the gameplay faults.

It feel like PD to me but smoothed out. If you don't mind my asking what are your problems with it?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

Nice. I'm a huge fan of the Saturn games but I'm not not much of a stickler. As long as the game is still fun and not broken I'm happy.