• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

Incredibly unfortunate news. My condolences to anyone close to Haruto Watanabe.

While I was posting this thread the tweet was seemingly deleted though, so here it is preserved

ahnnZEP.png

Will update the OP when more info is shared.

EDIT: Watanabe is seemingly still with us. That's a huge relief.

I have to wonder what exactly happened to spawn the initial tweet(s) in the first place.

Last edited:

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
I think they've passed this info and deleted it twice. I don't imagine there's a mistake in the information so it is curious, but unfortunate nevertheless.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
Quick Google search makes it seem like this was a passion project for the producer/CEO. Doesn't seem like it was a large studio either. Very unfortunate news for all involved.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
wow, rest in peace. that was a dream project for him. good on sega for allowing him to work on it at least.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
How strange. Though, to be real this project has always been in a weird place given the team working on it is supposedly really, really small but they've committed to covering the story of all 3 games in VR somehow.

They never committed to doing the whole thing, they promised a small collection of moments from the 3 Saturn games (something like 3 large-scale battles alongside some smaller, possibly non-interactive scenes) and a crowdfunding campaign to potentially add more.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
They never committed to doing the whole thing, they promised a small collection of moments from the 3 Saturn games (something like 3 large-scale battles alongside some smaller, possibly non-interactive scenes) and a crowdfunding campaign to potentially add more.
Right, sorry, "cover" was the wrong word, not the entire games, but an omnibus product that spans moments from the 3 games.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Right, sorry, "cover" was the wrong word, not the entire games, but an omnibus product that spans moments from the 3 games.

They didn't have the budget/personnel to remake all three games, and they worried that if they did separate remakes for each game, they might end up in a situation where the first one doesn't sell well enough to fund the others, so they decided to do one compilation with the key moments from those 3 games, just to guarantee that fans would get something from the later games no matter what, and then if it sold well he'd keep fleshing them out.

Nov 18, 2017
This whole thing has been a bit weird to follow tbh, Drip feed of updates and co-existing with a completely separate set of remakes I honestly never thought this was going to come out and emotional whiplash of just reading its cancelled due to the passing of its producer to now finding out thats not the case actually? relieved nobody has passed but man what has been happening with this thing? I doubt we will get solid answers but its just been very bizarre.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
The title change is a little odd, there's still no confirmation that the game's actually canceled.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
So was this some pre-prepared tweet that got sent out accidentally? False alarm? Did they get their license yanked by Sega?

The uh, Implication is grim if they had combined the "Sega pulled the license" and "The producer passed away" announcements for the exact same pre-prepared message.

Sep 29, 2019
How do you even pass around the information of someone's death without properly checking it? It's terrible. I'm glad that he's safe and hope the game continues development.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's such an...odd mistake.

How does that happen? I mean, how did they get the idea that he was dead in the first place? Is he ill or something?