• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
I decided to make a research to see what kind of game is finally Paper Mario: The Origami King. According to Wikipedia is "an upcoming 2020 role-playing video game", but what Nintendo thinks of it?

u9eMMvV.png

When I visited the Nintendo official site in Europe, I was surprised as for Nintendo the game is an action adventure and not an RPG :o.

VQ54txw.png

And last, when I am looking for RPG games with the word "Mario" there are only 12 games for the record, the following:
  • Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (DS)
  • Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey (3DS)
  • Super Paper Mario (Wii)
  • Paper Mario (N64)
  • Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros. (3DS)
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS)
  • Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. (3DS)
  • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)
  • Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition (3DS)
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Gamecube)
  • Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS)

Just to add here that Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii U) is an action adventure game for Nintendo too.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You can't even say it's "A Paper Mario Game" without that being a controversial statement.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I feel like if you're this concerned about the level of RPG elements in the game, just wait for reviews instead of trying to break some imagined code behind Nintendo's likely arbitrary use of genres in a product description.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Well, at least there is Bug Fables lol. I feel for TTYD fans.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
It's like this since the announcement yeah, Paper Mario is not in the RPG genre since Super Paper Mario.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We already know what the systems in the game are like, do you really need to look at genres on Nintendo's website to confirm what we already knew?

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
These games haven't been rpgs since super paper mario i don't really see how people can't understand that

it's been 16 years since TTYD maybe it's time to move on and stop complaining that paper mario isn't what you want it to be anymore people.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Will people stop complaining now because a game that isn't an RPG doesn't have RPG mechanics?

No, of course they won't.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Action Adventure games are my favorite genre, I'll definitely pick this up at some point.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
We already know that from day one. People who continue to be disappointed with each new news that it is not an RPG are in denial.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
just fyi guys

paper mario was a rpg series for 7 years and now it has been an action adventure series for 13 years.

when are you guys going to accept that it's not going back to the "roots"?

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
This has been known since the eShop page went up (so since the game was announced?). And people still were saying it would be a return to form then.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
And? It doesn't have to be to be good lol
No, but that doesn't make it an RPG, which some fans hoped to be the case due to insiders and Nintendo talking about "return to form". Which was dumb.
Of course it can be good.
Will people stop complaining now because a game that isn't an RPG doesn't have RPG mechanics?

No, of course they won't.
People that thought it was an RPG because they hoped it was an RPG, even though we knew from the start it wasn't weird.
I find weird to complain about them discovering it's not one tbh.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Time to use this as a excuse against people criticizing the game

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018
Pretty sure this was already know, it was during the initial reveal

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah as soon as I saw the system with the rings I knew I would wait for it to go cheap.

Why can't they just use the original battle system that people like?

Because Era is not at all representative of the general game buying public. People like the new systems too.

TTYD is someone around #6-10 all time game for me, and even I am so done with PM discourse on Era. Really insufferable.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
The only reason this hurts is because of the "return to form" rumors.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I've already made peace with this. I got Bug Fables if I want traditional PM combat but I'm fine with this being an Action Adventure

Nov 1, 2017
This whole thing makes the initial damage control ("GUYS, look! Partners, equipment and turn-based combat. Return to form!") all the more amusing. It always looked like Sticker Star 3 imo.

Thank Venus for Bug Fables.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
We knew this from day 1, so I had no expectations for EXP, etc. to return.

Basically, it seems like too many people need to take a step back and view this for the type of game it actually is, rather than shoehorning it into being an RPG. If you're going into this expecting to play an RPG, you will have a terrible time.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
After learning to avoid battles in Sticker Star to conserve resources, I decided that and later Paper Marios were just Adventure games.

At this point, Bug Fables has filled the traditional Paper Mario gap for me.

Last edited:

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
As has been mentioned already in this thread, try Bug Fables.

It's a true RPG and the closest thing we're gonna get to a proper sequel to TTYD

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, why do these new Paper Mario games have turn based combat at all? The combat systems in Sticker Star and Color Splash were not good, and what I've seen for this doesn't look good either. The adventure aspect is clearly what gets the most attention, the writing and exploration and all that. If they don't want these to be RPGs anymore, go all in on the new direction instead of having weird vestigial elements that don't gel with anything else.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Dream is dead =((

RIP Paper Mario RPGs (or more: the return to form we never had)

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
I'm disappointed that Nintendo is probably not going to make another Paper Mario game in the JRPG mold. But now I'm embarrassed to be associated with that view, because every other person in the same camp is insufferable. Get over it people.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
This was kinda what I assumed after learning that there was no EXP for battles.

This went from a Day 1 to me waiting for a sale. Still looks gorgeous at least. Guess I'll continue TTYD at a snail's pace, since there's no reason to rush to get to the new hotness