• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

Some random details:
  1. You will be able to equip weapons like boots and hammers, but they will break after a while (weapon durability).
  2. Looks like bosses will require motion controls.
  3. After defeating a boss you will be able to summon it in battle / use its abilities in the overworld.

PR said:
Crafty Companions and Clever Combat Details Unveiled for Paper Mario: The Origami King on Nintendo Switch!
In a new trailer released today, Nintendo peeled back additional layers about the upcoming Paper Mario: The Origami King game, launching on July 17 for the Nintendo Switch family of systems. The trailer can be viewed by visiting https://papermario.nintendo.com/#trailer.

King Olly has moved Peach's Castle in his devious plot to fold the world! Luckily, Mario's ability to wield mighty paper techniques will put a crinkle in those plans. Mario's journey to untie the massive streamers binding the castle will lead him through vast regions full of surprises. He'll visit underground sewers, raging rapids, an ancient ruin, a ninja-filled mansion and a lively desert oasis that will quench anyone's thirst for excitement.

A cast of off-the-wall characters adds an extra dimension to the expedition, too. There's a Bob-omb who's lost his memory, the Toad professor of ancient history, and Kamek, the Magikoopa who's always got something up his sleeve. Mario will find assistance along the way from friends like Olivia, the good-natured sister of King Olly, and even Bowser himself. Some of these unlikely allies might help out in a battle when needed!

Paper Mario: The Origami King delivers new ring-based battles that require strategy and quick thinking to line up enemies and execute well-timed attacks to maximize damage. It'll take a sharp mind to determine when to stomp enemies with Mario's boots, when to whack 'em with a hammer and when to strategically use items to heal or attack.

An audience of cheering Toads are ready to pitch in with a variety of helpful battle aids, just in case Mario starts to fold under pressure. Mario will also face some of his most intimidating foes in showdowns against the Legion of Stationery, bosses themed around stationery like colored pencils, sticky tape and rubber bands. These enemies may look innocent, but take note: They can really supply a challenge, so be sure to take care of business!

When Mario's not duking it out in the ring, he can investigate suspicious spots to uncover hidden items, toss confetti to repair holes in the landscape, discover loads of Toads hiding in the scenery, play mini-games to earn in-game rewards, and revel in an abundance of secrets and treasures.

On July 17, join Mario, Olivia and their companions on a comedy-filled adventure as you try to stop the origami menace.
Switch_PMOK_Overview_screen_01.bmp

Switch_PMOK_Overview_screen_02.jpg

Switch_PMOK_Overview_screen_03.jpg

Switch_PMOK_Overview_screen_04.jpg

05_02102325405430_jpg.jpg

07_02102806182030_jpg.jpg

xpvx1pgqfh451.png.webp

irs4zk4nfh451.png.webp

Last edited:

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
They're going way overboard with the real life things... A case of pencils as a boss? Really?

Deleted member 69771

Partners in battle, non consumable attacks, power up items, tons of collectibles and minigames. Wish they hadn't shown three out of five bosses but oh well lmao

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I like what I'm seeing, mainly. I hope there are more boss battles than what was shown. I don't want to fight a roll of tape.

ahdurian

Oct 25, 2017
thats such a weird battle system that I love it so much

also those Bosses are freaking hilarious

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The Bob-omb has a name, now is everyone happy?

I know the answer will be no

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Partners in battle, non consumable attacks, power up items, tons of collectibles and minigames. Wish they hadn't shown three out of five bosses but oh well lmao

You can see a fourth boss as well

Also it looks like there is no exp from battles, just coins. With how long combat appears like it could take now I wonder if battles will be even more pointless in this title.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Looks better than the first trailer but I'm still not fully in. Those bosses are... yeah.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It still has the same problems with standard battle as the last two games and you have to find bog standard Toads...

I'm out

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
Bosses are a bit meh... but everything else looks pretty good

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Wasn't quite sure how I felt about the game after the first trailer, but this trailer's made me excited for it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty good, love some of the little touches in the world. The battle system looks like it has potential, hopefully it lives up to it

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
This looks amazing. The battle system seems very fun and it looks like there are plenty of different locations and variety in terms of things you do in the game. Looking forward to it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can see a fourth boss as well

Also it looks like there is no exp from battles, just coins. With how long combat appears like it could take now I wonder if battles will be even more pointless in this title.
How would battles be even more pointless than Sticker Star and Color Splash where you were actively drained from resources by engaging in battle?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the one thing the trailer is kinda iffy on is how linent the time to line up enemies is. seems like you have all the time in the world to make optimal setups

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gen 1 has a pokemon that was literally a pokeball with eyes that evolved into an upside down pokeball with eyes. Voltorb/Electrode are lucky to be gen 1 pokemon, or people would have lost their shit.
I mean, a pokemon based on the pokeball is better than a pokemon based on a fucking ring of keys or an ice cream cone lmao

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking tape, seriously?

Are partners permanent or locked to certain areas?

Kamek never should have been added to the Paper Mario series.

Flynn22

May 22, 2020
Not really convinced by it. The battle system seems fun but if there's no incentive then you'll probably get sick of it by the second world and start avoiding enemies like in Sticker Star. I thought the next piece of information would be a bit more exciting than this, tbh.

Anyway, if things keep progressing like this, next game could be slightly similar to the first Paper Mario hopefully?

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I dont understand whats the point of money in the game, which could be a problem considering thats all you get after battles