• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
A damn shame I already have everything but Jade Dragon, Holy Fury, and a couple content & clothing packs. I guess this cements CKII is EOL if we're getting this kind of massive blow-out -- I wonder what's next.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is it a bit weird that we've heard nothing about Stellaris for 2 months? It felt like they were always talking about something, be it post-update fixes or an upcoming patch, but they seems to have been pretty quiet every since Ancient Relics.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Post DLC silence + 1 month of Sweden holidays.

That would make sense, I'm too used to checking in on the subreddit about once a week to look for any dev diaries, and their recent absence has been conspicuous.

I'm also increasingly aware that I might be enjoying reading about updates more than playing them, which is beginning to worry me.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Don't think we'll get too many updates until PDXcon (which is in october IIRC).

Are they doing their gamescom event this year?

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm now wondering if Imperator was meant as the start of a big refresh of the historical GSGs over the next several years.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they go fantasy/ahistorical as well. PDS has done a lot of good games and since stellaris is one of my favorite game off all time, i hope they also try some other timeframes as well.

Reminder Paradox Studios is announcing a new game in PDXCon, my guess is:
-Victoria 3
-Fantasy 4x (like stellaris, RETURN OF RUNEMASTER BABY).

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
John Romero studio. But it is actually mostly done by his wife, Brenda Romero, known for Jagged Alliance 2 and Wizardry 8 at least.
wait, the John Romero? the one from doom and daikatana?
His wife makes strategy video games?

My expectations of the mafia game are rising a LOT.

i don't think i have played jagged alliance nor wizardy. Should I?

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
PDX publishes a fantasy 4X (Age Of Wonders, Planetfall just came out) so I doubt they will compete with a partner studio by making their own. I could see a fantasy GSG, but it would be weird without something interesting as the setting. Maybe a World Of Darkness GSG...?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
It's been meme'd about a lot but I was always super down with a fantasy GSG based around the world of Tyranny. That game didn't do as well as it should've but it wasn't because it lacked a cool world.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see the direction Paradox has Harebrained Schemes and Triumph Studios take now that both of their pre-Paradox games are out. Mainly, I'm wondering if we'll see them push their developers to make "platforms", or let them just continue doing their thing. Neither dev has done something like that before.
It's been meme'd about a lot but I was always super down with a fantasy GSG based around the world of Tyranny. That game didn't do as well as it should've but it wasn't because it lacked a cool world.
That's a lovely idea. Tyranny's world is one of the few that leaves you wanting to learn more about it.

Dec 5, 2017
I would love got HBS to take another crack at Shadowrun. The first game was pretty middling but the 2nd and 3rd were fantastic rpgs. Would love to see the budget and scope expanded.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
PDX publishes a fantasy 4X (Age Of Wonders, Planetfall just came out) so I doubt they will compete with a partner studio by making their own. I could see a fantasy GSG, but it would be weird without something interesting as the setting. Maybe a World Of Darkness GSG...?
Codex Alera would make for a pretty great GSG.
I would love got HBS to take another crack at Shadowrun. The first game was pretty middling but the 2nd and 3rd were fantastic rpgs. Would love to see the budget and scope expanded.
Dragonfall was incredible, probably one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Hong Kong... they were a little too in love with their writing on that one, I think. Way too wordy.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So, kinda late, but Europa Universalis has been hyping up the next Dev Diary in twitter, by posting a picture of a loading screen and slowly revealing it:

Now, on the previous dev diary they said they would talk about something new, including x64 support:

Next week, we'll be talking about something completely different, and hopefully welcome news to those who have been wondering what's happening with that 64-bit support we were talking about earlier in the year.

My guess? That the new x64 patch is coming close and will have a ton of stuff, coming from dev debt solutions to some nice free stuff (as theuy said the next paid DLC would be the Europe one).

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
As its also Paradox related, I figured I might as well repost this here about Age of Wonders: Planetfall:

Alright so, the genre mix Civ city building meets XCOM combat basically tells you all you need to know to know what you are in for here. The thing is though... the game does a surprisingly good job at making all aspects come together as a fulfilling, surprising, engaging and ultimately just damn fun experience.

1. Depth
Despite being a genre mix, it actually doesnt cut many corners on its individual elements. I found myself thinking "this part of the game has no right to be as deep as it is" constantly over the first few hours of playing the game. And even despite its depth, the game does an absolutely phenomenal job at easing you into its many interrelated systems with its campaign structure.

... speaking of which:

X1wOGVw.jpg

2. THE CAMPAIGN!

I usually only play Civ for its scenarios and the campaign is meaty, complex, involves different factions, has actually relevant choices that affect other missions of the campaign and a great pacing, so that so far I never had the feeling of being bored of samey goals, level progress and whatever. It accomplishes that by changing around the different races, so you always have something new to tinker with and the very engaging story structure that gives you new bits of information, changing alliances and opportunities at every point along the way.

3. Races
I mentioned that thing about being surprised how deep the rabbit hole goes, right? One of the best examples for that are the different races. Being an experienced Civ player, I expected some empire bonusses and minor reskins of armies. Slight variants for the stats, maybe one race getting more research per round etc., the usual basically. Thinking that is such a disservice to the game. The races have: Different troops with completely different combat mechanics, different heroes, different combat tech trees, some variations in colony construction and unique mods/items. The difference is so large that I enjoyed it quite a bit more to play with a certain faction compared to the faction you start out with.
Every race will basically require you to readjust your learnings to the intricacies of combat and progression again because of its different approach.

wxXSIXw.jpg

4. Combat
The other thing that kinda blew me away was the combat. Its full on xcom style combat with up to 36 units participating in a single combat. Not only do your units level, which makes careful planning of costly fights very rewarding, but they also have mods and equipped items which means you can potentially have 36 completely different units on a single battle with different abilities and weaknesses. Because every unit can have 3 "mods" which change the attacks it uses and can give it a variety of different bonusses (for example: special attacks,the more it kills, the stronger it gets, movement bonusses, combo bonusses with other units etcetc), this isnt just a matter of "strengthening" a troop, the finetuning it allows you for the battle preparation is a bit bonkers frankly as the campaign moves on.

4. Accessibility of its content:
I actually had some issue orienting myself around the game for about 30-60 minutes when I started it. There is a tutorial but it doesnt do a super good job of introducing you to what you actually want to go for with each mechanic. However, once I got past that (a few hints here and there will help you with that easily enough), the game actually shows how well designed it is in regards to making its content accessible to you. Difficulty levels are a given, but the campaign structure especially is really well done in that regard. Missions introduce you to elements and espects of the game as it goes on, it doesnt require you to know everything from minute 1 and slowly lets you explore more mechanics and even other races before you go all in on their race specific missions. (You might for example get a unit from a later campaign as a bonus in your current campaign, so that you can see how it fights, getting a first idea of how you might need to play the race later).
Bonus: Console controls work well too btw.

5. Setting:
I love its setting. Maybe lets call it... Apocalyptic History-Scifi? Whatever the setting is called that lets you use mind controlling bugs to fight dinosaurs over the remnants of old and decaying human cities. Its a bit on the trashy side of things, but its really, really fun.

So yeah, great game on PS4, probably even better on PC with mods. Good job, Triump studios. You got me hook line and sinker.

Fantastic game.
Thread is here:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ag...amazons-and-dinosaurs-thats-a-paradox.134029/

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So, kinda late, but Europa Universalis has been hyping up the next Dev Diary in twitter, by posting a picture of a loading screen and slowly revealing it:

Now, on the previous dev diary they said they would talk about something new, including x64 support:

My guess? That the new x64 patch is coming close and will have a ton of stuff, coming from dev debt solutions to some nice free stuff (as theuy said the next paid DLC would be the Europe one).

Personally I just wish there was a DLC update soon (tm).
I'm really up for some more content after dharma didn't address a region that I want to play, golden century was kinda weird, specially as a portuguese. I really enjoy Iberia int his timeline! castille,aragon and Portugal are still not really encouraged to play their historical path.
As its also Paradox related, I figured I might as well repost this here about Age of Wonders: Planetfall:

Fantastic game.
Thread is here:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ag...amazons-and-dinosaurs-thats-a-paradox.134029/
I'm going to start this now. its 12:23 AM here. Am I going to regret this?

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really up for some more content after dharma didn't address a region that I want to play, golden century was kinda weird, specially as a portuguese. I really enjoy Iberia int his timeline! castille,aragon and Portugal are still not really encouraged to play their historical path.

It kept me awake until 3 am for pretty much every day in the past week, so i'd assume so. The just one more turn syndrome is strong in this one.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

I'm Spanish, from Asturias. The "kingdom" of Asturias they invented gives me headaches.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry guys, I need to brag:

A9EOxRR.jpg

What a game. Did a Ryukyu horde run by exploring to the Americas, converting to Nathuatl and reforming of a Kamchatkan tribe. Moving my capital to Mexico for Trade Companies and being able to raze all provinces before coring made it pretty doable. But around 1780 with most of Europe and Africa still not conquered, I was afraid I might not get it.

Oh and trucebreaking everything because you have unlimited monarch points due to razing helps.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry guys, I need to brag:

A9EOxRR.jpg

What a game. Did a Ryukyu horde run by exploring to the Americas, converting to Nathuatl and reforming of a Kamchatkan tribe. Moving my capital to Mexico for Trade Companies and being able to raze all provinces before coring made it pretty doable. But around 1780 with most of Europe and Africa still not conquered, I was afraid I might not get it.

Oh and trucebreaking everything because you have unlimited monarch points due to razing helps.
Congrats on Three mountains. I should do a run like that, but damn is it not mentally taxing sometimes.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks guys!

Congrats on Three mountains. I should do a run like that, but damn is it not mentally taxing sometimes.

It sure is, but I also quite like the flow you get into at a certain point where you're just continuously at war, coring stuff, looking at your next victim, etc. Have you ever done it?

I'm completely done with razing provinces though, that really needs to be added to the macrobuilder or a similar feature.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Stellaris finally got its hooks in me. I won a Federation Victory, was all very smooth.

Then...

The Pytherian (sic?) Swarm appeard and I didn't go for their jugular ASAP. I am now slowly losing ground and the only thing hanging our Federation together is a kindly Fallen Empire that has born the brunt of the war with a massive 150k fleet. That fleet is now 90k and shows no signs of being resupplied. Shit. Lesson learned.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Stellaris finally got its hooks in me. I won a Federation Victory, was all very smooth.

Then...

The Pytherian (sic?) Swarm appeard and I didn't go for their jugular ASAP. I am now slowly losing ground and the only thing hanging our Federation together is a kindly Fallen Empire that has born the brunt of the war with a massive 150k fleet. That fleet is now 90k and shows no signs of being resupplied. Shit. Lesson learned.
don't give up yet. Try to hold as long as possible. Try to research their fleets as the weapons you get from the research are very powerful against the swarm. Also there are several events that can turn the tide even if it seems the galaxy will fall.

Also are you psyonic? the swarm as special comunications to the psionic empires, its cool so try to see it.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
looks at the size of the focus tree. So cool!
sees Portugal flag, oh dear!
Taking into account the clear Latin focus of this DLC (France + Spain, and probably Italy as the other Major getting a focus tree (due to them saying it wasnt URSS)), I would guess it is either Portugal, Greece (unlikely due to it fitting better with a Turkey / Balkan change), or a random South American country if we get another FT (as Spain Nationalist Focus Tree is as big as Britains, and Republican Spain will get a similar sized one). My bet is on Portugal tho (didnt really do anything, but give some ports to the Allies, but could have easily gone into the war, either with Allies or Axis (less likely)).

Not a fan of some of the stuff, but it looks much much better (and I will keep my opinion until I see the republican side).

Edit: Portugal's flag is due to the possibility of getting Portuguese support if you are Franco, because you guys were also dicks back then :P

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't know if it was confirmed prior to this, but they've explicitly said that Stellaris' next expansion will be announced at PDXCon. In the meantime: Origins.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-155-origins.1250456/

They're finally separating Civics and Origins now, something that's been long requested. You can only have one Origin and it cannot be changed, but now non-standard empires like Hive Minds and Megacorps can have access to formerly origin Civics, like Life Seeded and Post Apocalyptic. Some old Civics will become Origins, and there will be some new ones too: Remnants and Scion have been named, and there are a few being kept deliberately secret so I imagine they'll be part of the expansion.

upload_2019-9-26_13-21-24.png

upload_2019-9-26_13-24-19.png

They have not said whether this is a free or paid feature, but if precedent is anything to go by it'll probably be free for existing origin Civics but expanded in the expansion.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I don't know if it was confirmed prior to this, but they've explicitly said that Stellaris' next expansion will be announced at PDXCon. In the meantime: Origins.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-155-origins.1250456/

They're finally separating Civics and Origins now, something that's been long requested. You can only have one Origin and it cannot be changed, but now non-standard empires like Hive Minds and Megacorps can have access to formerly origin Civics, like Life Seeded and Post Apocalyptic. Some old Civics will become Origins, and there will be some new ones too: Remnants and Scion have been named, and there are a few being kept deliberately secret so I imagine they'll be part of the expansion.

upload_2019-9-26_13-21-24.png

upload_2019-9-26_13-24-19.png

They have not said whether this is a free or paid feature, but if precedent is anything to go by it'll probably be free for existing origin Civics but expanded in the expansion.
This is absolutely brilliant!
Taking into account the clear Latin focus of this DLC (France + Spain, and probably Italy as the other Major getting a focus tree (due to them saying it wasnt URSS)), I would guess it is either Portugal, Greece (unlikely due to it fitting better with a Turkey / Balkan change), or a random South American country if we get another FT (as Spain Nationalist Focus Tree is as big as Britains, and Republican Spain will get a similar sized one). My bet is on Portugal tho (didnt really do anything, but give some ports to the Allies, but could have easily gone into the war, either with Allies or Axis (less likely)).

Not a fan of some of the stuff, but it looks much much better (and I will keep my opinion until I see the republican side).

Edit: Portugal's flag is due to the possibility of getting Portuguese support if you are Franco, because you guys were also dicks back then :P
Looking forward to playing spain and making "iberia". Spain + portuguese empire will probably make for a very fun campaign assuming the war doesn't end too soon.