• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 2 days, 14 hours, 56 minutes, 52 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Paradox Grand Strategy |OT| Conquering the World one DLC at a time

Poodlestrike

It's salt.
Oct 25, 2017
Ooooh right, I was just wondering when that was gonna be out. Prolly gonna buy myself the whole package after this thanksgiving.

Nov 8, 2017
Hearts of Iron 4 is plodding along and there's a new expansion coming as always. But to me it still feels like the core fundamentals just aren't where they need to be. Combat still feels mega grindey at certain points, division counts are still way way too high, the battle planner still feels like it never worked really as well as you'd hope. Like it's workable, I've put in 400+ hours, but it's like they're fixing every problem except the main one of commanding troops not feeling fun.

The balance as of 1.7 is also just fucked. I haven't played 1.8 yet but the patch notes mention nothing changing there except submarine stuff for balance. Germany gets 1 trillion divisions and it's just stupid.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Next Imperator update/free content is out next Tuesday. I kinda worry this game will become actually good and people will continue to not play it.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Next Imperator update/free content is out next Tuesday. I kinda worry this game will become actually good and people will continue to not play it.

The player ¡number has slowly risen since the first major patch, and this patch seems to address another major complain from the players, so it hopefully helps the rebound.

Iggy

Oct 27, 2017

That's actually a fair point, I have no clue about what this game does differently from other games, besides the historical setting.
I can't remember reading any discussion on the qualities the game may have (besides "that update fixed a lot of the problems it had").
So.... What's good and unique about the game?

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
That's actually a fair point, I have no clue about what this game does differently from other games, besides the historical setting.
I can't remember reading any discussion on the qualities the game may have (besides "that update fixed a lot of the problems it had").
So.... What's good and unique about the game?
I only played at launch so my opinion might be outdated. What i think it did well:
  • the map size felt right. In games like europa universalis and CK2 you can easily move your army around your land. I find this a bit weird because it should take some time for any country to muster its forces. In I:R due to the the HUGE map your armies WILL take time to move from one end of your country to the next. This effectively means that fighting a 2 front war is much more taxing as you can't easily adjust the forces you committed.
  • While the gameplay is similar to EU IV it has borrowed some elements of CK2 to make the inner working of your nation with more personality (this at launch wasn't working very well)
  • Battles are much more interesting due to the new battle system. Its interesting because it allows lesser factions to be a bit harder to conquer as they can use their armies optimized for their terrain.Also due to the paper-scisor-rock type of units this means that war between 2 empires can be much more dynamic instead of just sending stack after stack. Also it is the first tittle of PDS where i can mostly predict whom will win when 2 armies fight it out.
  • Diplomacy is locked by size. I like this for mainly 1 reason: it makes the AI (and player) consolidate much more often. If small countries can't ally with strong empires from far away it makes the smaller much more unlikely to survive agaisnt the local power. Effectively means that there will be several big empires in the map during the late game.
  • The UI at launch was better than most of PDS games. it caught me completely off-guard. I want to specifically mention the map that looks amazing, the animations of zooming in and out as well as the globe rotation are very pleasant. It is no amplitude but i wish all the upcoming games have at least this level of detail and prettiness.

What i think it did wrong (at release, current patches have been working on):
  • very light in flavor (every faction was similar to each other with a slight difference in bonus percentages) there is some flavor events in rome, carthage and greece but they felt far too little
  • Every problem was "mana" based, which became extremely tedious and monotonous. Want do DoW, wait for X mana to tick. Want to move a citizen, wait for Y mana. Want a religious boon? wait for Z mana. The only thing that didn't depend on mana was money and military force, but even these could be highly dependent on getting bonus from mana stuff.
  • Some mechanics require an astronomical ammount of clicks (wanted to move a group of population and convert them to your culture and religion? it required like 6 clicks per pop!)

IMO it is a game with as much potential as EU IV. I don't think the current mechanics can put it at the roleplaying level that CK2 and stellaris can achieve.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I want to specifically mention the map that looks amazing, the animations of zooming in and out as well as the globe rotation are very pleasant.
Imperator's map isn't actually globe-shaped by the way. It's just as flat as all the others, but the strictly Northern Hemisphere geography, North-Pole camera-rotation, and a limited Max-Zoom allowed them to create an illusion of it being so.

Strictly speaking, such a technique won't be able to be carried directly in to EUV, or even CK3 depending on how far south its Africa goes. Next Whole-Earth game is probably going to either go back to the EUIV map-model or have to be an actual 3D globe.

Which would actually be really cool - To have the maximum Zoom-Out be of a relatively period-accurate globe-model - Especially paired with the "Paper-Map on Zoom-Out" of Victoria 2 and Imperator paired with it.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Imperator's map isn't actually globe-shaped by the way. It's just as flat as all the others, but the strictly Northern Hemisphere geography, North-Pole camera-rotation, and a limited Max-Zoom allowed them to create an illusion of it being so.

Strictly speaking, such a technique won't be able to be carried directly in to EUV, or even CK3 depending on how far south its Africa goes. Next Whole-Earth game is probably going to either go back to the EUIV map-model or have to be an actual 3D globe.

Which would actually be really cool - To have the maximum Zoom-Out be of a relatively period-accurate globe-model - Especially paired with the "Paper-Map on Zoom-Out" of Victoria 2 and Imperator paired with it.
Now i'm even more impressed!

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So, I know this isnt Paradox related but there is an interesting game in developmente called "Star Dynasties" that tries to be CK2 in space. It looks quite interesting:

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Are all the Paradox launchers broken? Seems like whatever update Paradox did to the Stellaris launcher is broken and now my game won't launch.

edit: why did I need to reinstall the game for the launcher to have a "settings" tab???

Last edited:

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
I got a new laptop during Black Friday. My old one didn't run CK2 well, but good enough so I could enjoy playing. It also ran EU4, but a little slower. It wouldn't have run any games after that.

Now that I can actually run more games now, I'm looking at the Steam sale. Stellaris is $9.99 and HoI4 is $14.99. I definitely want both games eventually, but not sure if I want both right now. But....I'm seeing a bundle that has Stellaris, HoI4, and I:R for $39.57. Do I just go for it? Or maybe just Stellaris and HoI4? Or maybe just Stellaris and focus on playing that? Then there's a bundle that has Stellaris with Utopia and Apocalypse for $29.97. Too many options lmao.

Edit: Decided to just go with Stellaris at $9.99. Realistically, I can't play all these games in addition to all the non-Paradox games I'm playing. And then there's other things I do on my free time as well. HoI4 will be on sale again and perhaps at $9.99 when I'm actually ready to play it.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I got a new laptop during Black Friday. My old one didn't run CK2 well, but good enough so I could enjoy playing. It also ran EU4, but a little slower. It wouldn't have run any games after that.

Now that I can actually run more games now, I'm looking at the Steam sale. Stellaris is $9.99 and HoI4 is $14.99. I definitely want both games eventually, but not sure if I want both right now. But....I'm seeing a bundle that has Stellaris, HoI4, and I:R for $39.57. Do I just go for it? Or maybe just Stellaris and HoI4? Or maybe just Stellaris and focus on playing that? Then there's a bundle that has Stellaris with Utopia and Apocalypse for $29.97. Too many options lmao.

Edit: Decided to just go with Stellaris at $9.99. Realistically, I can't play all these games in addition to all the non-Paradox games I'm playing. And then there's other things I do on my free time as well. HoI4 will be on sale again and perhaps at $9.99 when I'm actually ready to play it.
Dunno if Game Pass PC still has the offer, but try to sign up and you might get the 3 months for $1 offer. GPPC has Imperator: Rome and HoI4 (and Stellaris), IIRC. And other stuff.

I'd warn against actually buying those versions, but as trials they will be fine.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Is that new update for Imperator out now? I was gonna try it through Game Pass once that hit, but playing an actual copy in a free weekend would be preferable.

Brian Damage

Nov 1, 2017
UK
Yesterday's Stellaris dev diary about Juggernauts and Mega-Shipyards

TLDR:

Juggernauts are 1-per-empire ships like Colossi, but act more like a battleship bolted to 2 shipyards. They have a couple of X-slots and bunch of hanger slots, and can produce, repair and upgrade ships. It doesn't affect system control or borders like a starbase would though, and are intended as a support vessel for sustained invasions. They also have powerful auras which we're not privy to yet.

Mega Shipyards are megastructures that act as a ton of shipyards and provide a passive build speed bonus to all other shipyards in your empire. The three stages are:
  1. 10 shipyards, +100XP starting XP, +33% global ship build speed.
  2. 20 shipyards, +100XP starting XP, +66% global ship build speed.
  3. 30 shipyards, +100XP starting XP, +100% global ship build speed.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday's Stellaris dev diary about Juggernauts and Mega-Shipyards

TLDR:

Juggernauts are 1-per-empire ships like Colossi, but act more like a battleship bolted to 2 shipyards. They have a couple of X-slots and bunch of hanger slots, and can produce, repair and upgrade ships. It doesn't affect system control or borders like a starbase would though, and are intended as a support vessel for sustained invasions. They also have powerful auras which we're not privy to yet.

Mega Shipyards are megastructures that act as a ton of shipyards and provide a passive build speed bonus to all other shipyards in your empire. The three stages are:
  1. 10 shipyards, +100XP starting XP, +33% global ship build speed.
  2. 20 shipyards, +100XP starting XP, +66% global ship build speed.
  3. 30 shipyards, +100XP starting XP, +100% global ship build speed.

Juggernaut aures were shared on twitter.

Brian Damage

Nov 1, 2017
UK
If i have the resources for a juggernaut I think picking subspace amplifier and munitions plant will be more effective as that will allow your fleet to keep moving.
I guess it would depend on the Juggernaut's sublight speed, if it slows the rest of your force down considerably then I might want to just commit to the long-range death turtle strategy.

But maybe if you kept it separate in a captured system as a forward base for multiple fleets, then being able to get your fleets back in the fray as soon as possible might be interesting.