• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Huge set of patch notes up for the free patch accompanying Jade Empire in CK2

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ev-diary-74-patch-notes-achievements.1053632/

For those more accustomed to reading the TLDR and much better summary, here is the reddit summary of the notes. Much cleaner :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKi...atch_28_jade_dragon_notes_what_they_actually/
I think those changes will make the game better, i'm really liking the features of jade dragon. I think i'll have a lot of fun playing in tibet.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just saw an amazing suggestion for a Jade Dragon achievement.

gBPryrn.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was an option to randomize the whole world in EU4, RNW + random development values just doesn't feel like enough. I haven't missed a mod for that have I?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was an option to randomize the whole world in EU4, RNW + random development values just doesn't feel like enough. I haven't missed a mod for that have I?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=747601466
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=633369890
From what i could find. I dont like random worlds, so I havent tried them. If they are good recommend them to the op so that he adds it in the first post ^^
Edit: the next patch in some weeks will add some new provinces so it will probably break them. Just as a head up.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
As I and others have mentioned this upcoming HoI 4 update and expansion is really looking good with everything from the dev diaries so far and this new dev diary is revealing more neat stuff.

Basically we are getting a decision/events/mission system which interact with one another and with the national focuses, they are trying to make the game more dynamic with dealing with things such as crises, but it's not just simple one-click decisions since missions and decisions for example can also interact with each other (i.e look at their Case Anton example). It's quite a detailed dev diary too with lots of screenshots as well.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-decisive-action.1053930/

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
As I and others have mentioned this upcoming HoI 4 update and expansion is really looking good with everything from the dev diaries so far and this new dev diary is revealing more neat stuff.

Basically we are getting a decision/events/mission system which interact with one another and with the national focuses, they are trying to make the game more dynamic with dealing with things such as crises, but it's not just simple one-click decisions since missions and decisions for example can also interact with each other (i.e look at their Case Anton example). It's quite a detailed dev diary too with lots of screenshots as well.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-decisive-action.1053930/
daaaaaaaaaaamn, just the change about how national unity worked looked great but this shit... they might make the game fun without mods!
Edit: ugggh missions in Kaiserreich would be reaaally good.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017

This is more in line with what I expected them to do with the expansions. Rather than being some small ancillary systems like they added with the previous expansions, this is going to change how the whole game plays and make it a lot more dynamic and fun. It's one of the things HoI IV was missing when compared to EU IV and CKII.

Oct 27, 2017
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=747601466
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=633369890
From what i could find. I dont like random worlds, so I havent tried them. If they are good recommend them to the op so that he adds it in the first post ^^
Edit: the next patch in some weeks will add some new provinces so it will probably break them. Just as a head up.

Well colour me suprised, gonna try and test those out before the next patch if I can.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Another DD for stellaris, it features major changes to the war. I'm conflicted for the the next patch/expansion. It will change so much of the game that i'm not sure if it won't be stellaris "1.0" again.
I really like the changes for HOI IV, eagarly waiting for the the next focus tree rework. i'm hoping it is japan!

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
One of my friend at work started playing HoI 4 recently and he's been bugging me to buy it so I could play with him...

Where should I start? What's required/suggested as far as DLC goes?

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
One of my friend at work started playing HoI 4 recently and he's been bugging me to buy it so I could play with him...

Where should I start? What's required/suggested as far as DLC goes?
First you should know that only the host needs to have the DLC, all other players can use it for free.
IMO the current released DLCs for HOI IV are "very weak content-wise", by this i mean that the DLC are completely optional unless you want to play as the countries added. While HOI allows you to play whatever country you want in the world, only a few have unique national focuses trees(NF) - the base game has Germany, Japan, USA,UK, Italy,Poland and USSR. The DLC expand the NF of the following countries:
DLC together for victory - canada, Australia, new zealand, India and South Africa
DLC death or dishonor - Yugoslavia, Romania, Czechoslovakia and Hungary

IMO the DLC are only worth buying if you play without the focus on historical games or you want to play as those countries.
If you end up playing the game lots of hours and like metal music I highly recommend the sabaton soundrtack DLC, the music there is very thematic and very enjoyable.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Excellent, I'll update the OT with this and the other new patches for HOI4 and CK2.

Once this new patch is out and has had the inevitable bug fix released, I was thinking about putting together another EU4 multiplayer group, get some games in. It's been far too long since we all did battle.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
They did the official announcement for the upcoming expansion for HoI 4 we've been receiving dev diaries of.

"Waking the Dragon"

Today's dev diaryhttps://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi-4-dev-diary-nationalist-china.1054824/

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/hearts-of-iron-iv-waking-the-tiger/HIHI04ESK0000010-MASTER.html

The East Wind Rises
Years before Europe went to war, Japan's imperial ambitions targeted the divided Chinese Republic. Crippled by political paralysis and centuries of fitful development, China is still not a pushover.

With vast reserves of manpower and resources, not to mention a giant landmass, the Republic of China and its temporary ally, the Communists under Mao, can withstand another aggressor. There have been, after all, very many.

This is the first big expansion and free update that I'm really excited about for HoI 4.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Was going to post that!
Most importantly, they have said sorry for the expansion pass in the beginning and that another new expansion will be added to it as a way to say sorry. It has also been pulled out of the market so the guys that got it are lucky.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
Featureset:
Features in Hearts of Iron IV: Waking the Tiger include:
  • Chinese National Focuses: Divided and under threat, China has great reserves of manpower and diplomatic flexibility
  • Chain of Command: Unite your armies under a field marshal who can take advantage of the many skills of the generals under his direction.
  • Decisions and Missions: Historical decisions and national missions give your new places to spend Political Power, as you deal with domestic politics or start special projects.
  • General Traits and Abilities: Generals' traits can now unlock powerful Command Power abilities, allowing great flexibility and creativity.
  • Updated Japanese Focus Tree: More attention to the Asian campaign and alternate history paths, including restoring Civilian Government or allying with the feared Soviets.
  • Updated German Focus Tree: New possible histories for the German Reich, including the chance to replace Hitler with the exiled Kaiser, or lead a democratic Germany against Stalin.
  • Acclimatization: Over time, troops will learn how to survive in the desert or harsh winters, giving these veterans an edge on the battlefield.
  • And More: Capturing battlefield equipment, new music and sounds and a revitalized air war system that has room for Volunteer air wings.
As usual, Waking the Tiger will also be accompanied by a free patch - 1.5 Cornflakes.

They're also adding another expansion equal in scope to Waking the Tiger to the expansion pass.

But first a word on the expansion pass:

The expansion pass for HOI4 was the first one we've done, and we've learned many lessons.

For example, we decided to release "Death or Dishonor" as a country pack rather than a full-sized expansion so that we could still release something cool during a period of time when we were busy staffing up and focusing on technical issues. We saw that with the resources we had, at the time, we couldn't release a full-sized expansion at the same time as we were spending time on improving the AI and doing other free updates to the base game, such as the significant revamp of the air combat system.

It turns out that scope changes of this type do not go well with an expansion pass if you look at the value we promised to pass-owners. So, in order to make sure we over-deliver and make everyone happy, we have decided that the next expansion - the one after "Waking the Tiger", which is planned to be similar in scope - will also be included in the pass.

This means that the initially promised two expansions have now actually become four. This also means that we are also no longer selling the pass. So if you picked it up yesterday: jackpot!

More info about this here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/expansion-pass-faq.975687/

It's too bad they decided to pull it because I would have bought it now.

Last edited:

Chrome

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought Jade Dragon and the rest of the CK2 DLC I didn't own (50% off)

I'm a happy boy

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Question about Jade Dragon.

One of the things brought up in the dev logs was that you would be allowed to create a claim over time similar to Vic2 or EUIV. So instead of waiting for your chancellor to generate a claim, you could just wait for it to generate over time. Does that only exist within the DLC or does the base game get it as well?

Chrome

Oct 25, 2017
Question about Jade Dragon.

One of the things brought up in the dev logs was that you would be allowed to create a claim over time similar to Vic2 or EUIV. So instead of waiting for your chancellor to generate a claim, you could just wait for it to generate over time. Does that only exist within the DLC or does the base game get it as well?

It's not listed under the DLC section of the patch notes, so I would assume that it comes with the update itself.

Also, the patch notes for this update is really long. Really long.
index.php

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
The Otto's got nerfed hard, it's kinda silly seeing Venice, Genoa and Albania as the dominant powers in the Balkans, while Dulkadir and the Mamluks are sitting pretty in Anatolia.

At least we got the best change to EU4 ever in this new patch/expansion.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The Otto's got nerfed hard, it's kinda silly seeing Venice, Genoa and Albania as the dominant powers in the Balkans, while Dulkadir and the Mamluks are sitting pretty in Anatolia.

At least we got the best change to EU4 ever in this new patch/expansion.
Ottos nerfed?
Never thought I would see this day... I guess taking out the cores in the minors was the solution. Still, less Otto smash should make some starts there better and also have a more interesting middle east (at least mameluks dont have nearly infinite manpower right? )

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
So uh, a bunch of Tibetan characters suddenly started popping up in the middle of Scandinavia in my game following the Western Protectorate taking half of Tibet.

Is it, uh, normal for Tibetan characters to flee across the entire known world because the Chinese usurped their titles? Ahem, or so I should say, journey to the west?

Now... To land them or not to land them...

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would imagine that the nerf makes the Minor Asia runs (Komnenoi Empire, etc.) a lot easier than before. Too bad I forced my way through a wall for all of them, way before the patch. I won't complain about it though, if Byzantium and the Dardanelles are fair game for nerfs, so should be the Ottomans.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I ended up buying all CK2 Content DLC that i missed (conclave, monk and mystics and reaper's due) + jade dragon.
Conclave changed a lot of problems i had with the laws which is nice.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So uh, a bunch of Tibetan characters suddenly started popping up in the middle of Scandinavia in my game following the Western Protectorate taking half of Tibet.

Is it, uh, normal for Tibetan characters to flee across the entire known world because the Chinese usurped their titles? Ahem, or so I should say, journey to the west?

Now... To land them or not to land them...
Land them in the de jure counties and duchies of your most troublesome vassal. Then transfer their vassalage to them. Difficult for your vassal to rebel when he's too busy dealing with his own rebellions.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Really enjoying jade dragon so far. Love the grace/boon mechanic.

Enjoying the interactions with china.

Get a Chinese strategist as quick as you can, they will teach OP skills to your commanders

Was Tibet one of the added lands?

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Really enjoying jade dragon so far. Love the grace/boon mechanic.

Enjoying the interactions with china.

Get a Chinese strategist as quick as you can, they will teach OP skills to your commanders

Was Tibet one of the added lands?
Yes tibet is the new region released alongside the DLC. I'm liking it but it takes so long to move between regions...

The Communist China dev diary is up and they're currently talking about it on the dev stream

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi-4-dev-diary-communist-china.1056683/

And they just confirmed on the stream that the expansion won't be out before Christmas.
The bold made me sad, i was really expecting the DLC to be out in december and i could play HOI on my holidays with new content.
I'm really liking the changes this DLC adds, it seems to totaly change how the asia part of war will play out.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the next expansion for Stellaris will also redo how combat works in order to make it so that wars last mroe than one battle, they will do that by:
-bonus to the smaller force (simulating easier maneauvering / targeting for the smaller force)
-ships finally being smart and not staying fighting until death
-changes to how admirals work
-change of ship design (again so hope this time it works better)
That in combination with the new changes of war (how cb works, how to conquer systems) and terrain (starlines only, galaxy terrain) make it more interesting, lets see if that actually fixes some of the boredom of the mid/late game.
More info

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Looks like the next expansion for Stellaris will also redo how combat works in order to make it so that wars last mroe than one battle, they will do that by:
-bonus to the smaller force (simulating easier maneauvering / targeting for the smaller force)
-ships finally being smart and not staying fighting until death
-changes to how admirals work
-change of ship design (again so hope this time it works better)
That in combination with the new changes of war (how cb works, how to conquer systems) and terrain (starlines only, galaxy terrain) make it more interesting, lets see if that actually fixes some of the boredom of the mid/late game.
More info
I think these changes are really interesting! I specially like that a few ethics can have a war philosophy of "no retreat" so their fleets would still work like the original game; it will make fighting empires more unique, hopefully with further DLC more war philosophies will be added.
I'd also add that PDS is adding a hard/soft cap to fleets so this time we will have to have more admirals. In almost every stellaris game i always just use 1-2 admirals for my doomstacks.
I'm still not convinced on the hyperline only FTL but these combat changes will make the game feel very different to me -> No more playing only with doomstacks, i can finally have a defensive star stystem with a strong base and wars with less border gore.

What do you think of the new humanoid DLC?
Personally i'm conflicted, I like the 3d models but the portraits are not "cool/exotic" to me.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Anybody play Darkest Hour? I would say that it's the best Paradox game.

The 1.5 update is coming up soon and it should make the game more playable on Win10.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody play Darkest Hour? I would say that it's the best Paradox game.

The 1.5 update is coming up soon and it should make the game more playable on Win10.
Not any more but I did. I guess Paradox themselves aren't updating it but the original team?

Victoria 2 and HoI 3 need some updates for Win 10 too because for some reason it crashes my nvidia drivers on game exit (and it never recovers, I have to hard reset my PC since it blacks out everything, even happens with the beta Victoria 3.04 patch they put out in 2016). It happens on a clean install of Windows 10 and any nvidia driver released in last 2 years. I don't know if it happens to others but these are the only two games that crash my driver (and they both use the same iteration of their Clausewitz game engine).

The only way to fix it is by running both games in Windows 8 compatibility so it's not a major issue to workaround for the end-user.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
It may have taken me 911 hours, and forced me to stay up till 4am, but I finally pulled off a Florence > Tuscany > Italy > Roman Empire game. Feels pretty damn great to finally do it and grab a few achievements in the meantime.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody pick up the new Stellaris DLC? I'll probably grab it sooner or later, especially since I can get it discounted on Humble if nowhere else in the near future.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Anybody pick up the new Stellaris DLC? I'll probably grab it sooner or later, especially since I can get it discounted on Humble if nowhere else in the near future.
I didn't buy it so i might be wrong. IMO the Humanoid pack portraits don't feel very "alien" to me, while the ships and voice acting are pretty cool. I'd recomend to not buy it now unless you will be playing a game with them. IMO i'd wait for the next update/DLC which looks like it will heavily change stellaris (hopefully for the better) and buy the 2 packs then.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Pleased to see the new changes coming for Stellaris to try and combat doomstacks which is great.

Just got in to HOI:IV again over the weekend and was pleased to see my Field Marshal edition getting all these updates for nowt. including the next 2. Worth the £40 I paid I think.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Pleased to see the new changes coming for Stellaris to try and combat doomstacks which is great.

Just got in to HOI:IV again over the weekend and was pleased to see my Field Marshal edition getting all these updates for nowt. including the next 2. Worth the £40 I paid I think.

I just wish either stellaris or HOI released their DLC in December. IMO both make changes that i think will be a lot of fun! but by not releasing in december i don't get to play them on my holidays. CA (dev of total war) also delayed their spooky skeletons to january. It is like the game industry is trying to sabotage my holidays!

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Uzzy Just a quickie, I'm guessing because the embed options keep changing the OP looks like its missing some images for each game.

I just wish either stellaris or HOI released their DLC in December. IMO both make changes that i think will be a lot of fun! but by not releasing in december i don't get to play them on my holidays. CA (dev of total war) also delayed their spooky skeletons to january. It is like the game industry is trying to sabotage my holidays!
Ha. They are doing it on purpose!

Deleted member 12950

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It may have taken me 911 hours, and forced me to stay up till 4am, but I finally pulled off a Florence > Tuscany > Italy > Roman Empire game. Feels pretty damn great to finally do it and grab a few achievements in the meantime.

So I'm late to commenting on this, but wow, well done! To get the Roman Empire achievement I went the cheesey way with the Ottomans.

Up until the latest EU4 update I was on a bit of a Byzantium kick but the update seems to have made anything but being swallowed up by the Ottomans eventually non-viable. Key potential allies like Austira, Poland, and Hungary seem to speed toward getting too many relations which means and that -50 penalty makes it even more difficult to ally with them.

Deleted member 12950

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I want them to take another shot at Rome again. Some of the lessons they've learned from Crusader Kings II's success could make for a really interesting political part of a Rome game.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
I want them to take another shot at Rome again. Some of the lessons they've learned from Crusader Kings II's success could make for a really interesting political part of a Rome game.
I have a feeling they are, they're working on two new games but we don't know what, plus we know people like Johan and Chris who are senior designers at PDS do not have major roles any more with games like EU IV (of course still involved but the reigns have been passed onto designers like Jake who are doing a great job). Plus Johan has been teasing (trolling) about Rome a lot the last year or two.

Believe (it's a photoshopped shirt btw that he tweeted)https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/873097188850638848
DB3dQ7uUAAAK7Ia.jpg:large

Last edited:

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I started to play paradox games thanks to stellaris. Were the "rome" games good? what were they similar to CK2 or EU IV?

You had to balance the power of factions in the senate/royal court for bonuses and prevent the populists from ever taking power as they had nothing but negative modifiers. This involved assassinating people, bribery, putting your favorites in good positions and making sure that unloyal generals didn't get too popular, lest they pull a Caesar or Marius.

It was an EU game but that didn't really translate all that well to Rome. Rome rapidly expanded but in the game you couldn't replicate that due to the mechanics that limited expansion.

Prophaniti

Oct 28, 2017
Long time paradox fan! Didn't know it had it's own thread. Got stellaris about a week ago. Well I think it was week ago, I've lost all sense of time lol. I think I might be bad at it though cause my tech always seems to be behind even when I focus on it exclusively.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Long time paradox fan! Didn't know it had it's own thread. Got stellaris about a week ago. Well I think it was week ago, I've lost all sense of time lol. I think I might be bad at it though cause my tech always seems to be behind even when I focus on it exclusively.

if I remember correctly each pop and system increases tech cost. To be on top of the tech you need very few big planets. In stellaris just build as many ships as possible and only upgrade them when your navy capacity is full

That said in stellaris it is better to build low tech tier ships then the high tech ones.