• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what Tachya is talking about, almost nobody makes quality strategy games these days, and we should be really thankful we at least have Paradox making them and expanding their portofolio to new eras. That they also change up the gameplay ALOT between all their releases, just reinforces this point.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
An important thing about Imperator is that it will be the first game that was built up with Jomini in mind too. Jomini supposedly will make modding even easier, giving more tools to them.

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
An important thing about Imperator is that it will be the first game that was built up with Jomini in mind too. Jomini supposedly will make modding even easier, giving more tools to them.
I didn't see anything about the new Jomini system because I've kept myself mostly in black-out for I:R, so I'm pretty surprised by this. Anything that makes content easier to produce is A+ in my book.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Release Date: 25 April

Man, Stellaris trailers are so good this doesnt hype me as much as it should lol.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
200.gif

Got the deluxe edition for Imperator and preordered MtG.

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Wow, nice CK2 dev diary today. Historical wonders to build! Seven years later the game is still getting features, very impressive. (although...pyramids? lol...)

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Probably means they are going to add bringin back egyptian religion like they did hellenistic one.

If they do I hope it's counted in the same religious-group as Hellenism like Catholicism/Orthodox and Sunni/Shia are to eachother.

Or shit, just have another Nameset for the Hellenist gods set if a Coptic/Egyptian re-founds the Faith.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
If they do I hope it's counted in the same religious-group as Hellenism like Catholicism/Orthodox and Sunni/Shia are to eachother.

Or shit, just have another Nameset for the Hellenist gods set if a Coptic/Egyptian re-founds the Faith.
If it is pyramid relatic, it will not be a hellenic religion though...

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So, looking at the series that Paradox Studios does, lets start a small discussion over what the future of their next releases will be (as EU4 and CK2 should die sooner rather than later). So, lets start with the worst good game!

What are your dream / expectations for:

Victoria 3

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
Well done Paradox. By only doing 75% off sales once a year you made me feel compelled enough to buy all the ck2 dlc I was missing even though I barely play that game any more.
All because I skipped out on the EUIV sale last year and now that I got an urge to play EUIV I regret not picking up the dlc.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
So, looking at the series that Paradox Studios does, lets start a small discussion over what the future of their next releases will be (as EU4 and CK2 should die sooner rather than later). So, lets start with the worst good game!

Victoria 3

Laughs in British

War of the Worlds easter egg would be the best.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

Victoria 3
Victoria 3 would be cool but the direction paradox is currently going it would probably be quite a bit dumbed down compared to Victoria 2.

Mouseiana

Oct 25, 2017

Victoria 3
Horse Portraits

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
So, fellow imperalists.

Give me a new challenge on EU IV. I recently finished a France game where I got the 'Better than Napoleon' achieve (have Berlin, Vienna and Moscow), and generally dominated the HRE (dismantled) and, well, all of Europe.

I've not really played games in India or China before. I was dallying with Ethiopia>dominate Middle East, and Jianzhou>Qing, but they both are tricky, and have put them aside for now (I will always try again). I would also love to try Byzantium but that shit's tricky. Anyone got a good challenge idea for India or China regions? I've done SE Asia/Malaya before.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So, fellow imperalists.

Give me a new challenge on EU IV. I recently finished a France game where I got the 'Better than Napoleon' achieve (have Berlin, Vienna and Moscow), and generally dominated the HRE (dismantled) and, well, all of Europe.

I've not really played games in India or China before. I was dallying with Ethiopia>dominate Middle East, and Jianzhou>Qing, but they both are tricky, and have put them aside for now (I will always try again). I would also love to try Byzantium but that shit's tricky. Anyone got a good challenge idea for India or China regions? I've done SE Asia/Malaya before.
Have you tried Timmy? Timmurids have a pretty rough start but once you get over it, you can easily go Mughals and control India.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Random: do you think it would be easy for modders to mod in BC/AD times to Imperator? (I don't know anything about modding)

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Have you tried Timmy? Timmurids have a pretty rough start but once you get over it, you can easily go Mughals and control India.

I haven't - Persia has always been a blindspot for me too. I think I once tried a OP state (or maybe two-provinces...) and quickly failed. Timurids always seem like an interesting power in that region. Thanks!

Edit: Back in Control and Master of India as goals too. Could I do both in one game? Hmmm, that'd be a massive push: nuke Ottomans, move capital, subdue India (not so bad) > end China. Ooooof. Gonna try.

Last edited:

Mouseiana

Oct 25, 2017
So, fellow imperalists.

I don't know how viable this would be in the current patch (I haven't regularly played EU4 since Common Sense), but I always wanted to try this for a campaign.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
So, fellow imperalists.

I had a lot of fun forming and playing Tibet a few months ago! Become Ming's Tribute, feast on northern India/Bangladesh until it's time to betray your Chinese masters...

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Thanks for the other tips, guys and gals and whoevers.

I like the Caddo game - I wonder which patch it is (didn't see YouTube vid description).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the other tips, guys and gals and whoevers.

I like the Caddo game - I wonder which patch it is (didn't see YouTube vid description).

To roll back to previous versions of EU4 (and really most modern Paradox games): Here

Due to GDPR compliance, some of the older patches are not available in Steam but can be accessed through their website: Here is how

As I said before, the most modern bug is using the Japanese vasal swarm strategy, which has been kinda patched out in the last big patch but can be seen here:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone playing man the guns?

Played for a bit and was a quite disappointed by the new naval gameplay.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I played a bit up to 1940 with Mexico. The only thing I really noticed were the certain upgrades for ships. Like I researched destroyer II, but when I tried to build it, I need an engine now or something. I need to play more later.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The soundtrack of stellaris is fucking amazing, im listening to it right now

I almost created a new thread to discuss it lol, they really nailed the theme

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
The soundtrack of stellaris is fucking amazing, im listening to it right now

I almost created a new thread to discuss it lol, they really nailed the theme

I go to bat for Stellaris's OST in basically every thread where it's relevant. I think it's probably the best sci-if soundtrack in gaming.

Andreas in general just makes amazing music and doesn't get recognition for it.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
Currently in Dubai's Business Lounge, just spotted someone playing Ryoku in EU4. It isn't one of you guys is it? Haha

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So, got Man the Guns....

Damn they broke USA. I got to Partial Mobilization in February 1938 and was getting 2 naval XP a day so I had nearly finished the whole naval doctrine tree by the end of the year. By the time Japan declares war on me they are getting even more wrecked than they were IRL.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My first game with MtG was a bust. I was trying to do the Trotsky achievement with Mexico, but Pax Americana fucked me. I can't do anything in Central/South America without America attacking me.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This AI is weird sometimes. I started a game as Netherlands in 1936.

Pakistan declares war on India a few months in. They just kill each other for a bit and have a white truce.

Japan has a civil war. Which allows China to get crazy strong.

Germany seemed to being having a hard time against Poland, so I decided to attack early. Things are going pretty well and France wants me to join their faction. Sure, why not, I'm probably need the help.

Germany is almost defeated, but Italy becomes super saiyan defeats France and my game ends there…

Oh and the Spanish Civil War is still going on in 1942.

My next game didn't go so well either. Story time:

Doing some Communist China. I go for the tree to declare war on Xibei and Shanxi early on so I can start building more for the eventually war with China and Japan. I attack Shanxi first because this will give me better positioning against Japan. They only have 4-6 division, so it should have been a cakewalk. Nope, I got bogged down in this war for years. I just couldn't break their defense, the mountains probably didn't help. Of course the AI goes into BS mode and it just can crank out a billion divisions. They went from 4-6 division initially to 20 in a little over a month. So I'm like whatever, I'll let them attack until they bleed themselves. Towards the end I have like 20k casualties and they had +300k. All this time I was watching Japan destroy China, so I knew I needed to make it quick. Right when I started to get the upper hand and things started to look good. Bam! Japan attacks and I'm dead. That war should have taken a few weeks to a month to win, not a few years.

Last edited:

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
So I went Timurids and have now conquered all of India.
Didn't realise capital moves required 50%+ of your development needed to be in the target region for the move.
Erk, achievement is out of reach. Guess I could nuke Eastern Europe but that's a big ask, even with 100+ years left.
Ah well, was fun, and got some other achieves anyway. Very relaxed game, not lost a single war or province.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
I did a WC with Timurids into Mughals on the current patch, in the last 100 years I took the entirety of europe, the new world and half of africa. It's definitely doable. Exploiting the dev in all of asia might also do the trick, but it might be more fun to just start a new game.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I am the biggest power in the world, with the Ottomans as my bosom buddies. I could overrrun much of Europe, I think. Especially as whilst the Commonwealth is huge, Russia has fallen apart completely - they only have some provinces above the Sea of Okhotsk! Perm, Nogai, Kazan, Uzbek, Sweden and others have each taken a chunk. Much easier than dealing with Russkie stacks.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I did a WC with Timurids into Mughals on the current patch, in the last 100 years I took the entirety of europe, the new world and half of africa. It's definitely doable. Exploiting the dev in all of asia might also do the trick, but it might be more fun to just start a new game.

Yup, the pre and post Imperialism CB/Absolutism/Admin Efficiency eras are like night and day. You can absolutely explode in the last 100/150 years.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutism is when you go full British Empire, colonizing everything. 100% absolutism is full evil laugh.

Also, RedSparrows Sweden can be more dangerous than Russia if big as they actually get morale buffs in the army. Not to the level of Prussian Space Marines, but Sweden space marines can still be dangerous (not like any enemy army matters once you are too big for coalitions to be honest).

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Tbh, a good 75/80% of your conquests will come after the Imperialism CB comes around and you've gotten really high/max absolutism. Everything prior to that is set up to power the blobageddon engine.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So in big part because of Quill18's new Tutorial video series, I decided to give HOI4 another try... I bought it a while ago and played a bit but could never get over the initial difficulty hump.

Here are the DLCs I currently have:

-Together for Victory
-Anniversary Pack
-Colonel Edition Upgrade
-Poland United and Ready
-A bunch of unit packs

Are there any must have DLCs that I should be looking into?

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
So in big part because of Quill18's new Tutorial video series, I decided to give HOI4 another try... I bought it a while ago and played a bit but could never get over the initial difficulty hump.

Here are the DLCs I currently have:

-Together for Victory
-Anniversary Pack
-Colonel Edition Upgrade
-Poland United and Ready
-A bunch of unit packs

Are there any must have DLCs that I should be looking into?

Nah. You only need to get the dlcs if you want access to the new focus trees or alternative history paths they add (Waking the Tiger for the bring back the kaiser path for Germany etc). Most of the reworked features connected to each dlc are free to everyone.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
IMG_20190308_210047.jpg

You guys beliving in Jupiter yet?

On other news, my vassal, the Duke of Aragon somehow won by himself against France, the second strongest realm in the world (and owning basically all of the things necessary for HRE but Saxonia and some small division in center of France) for Navarra.

I had to make him king of Navarra just for that. The absolute madman.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
They had so many divisions that the numbers didn't even fit in the box anymore. The game was actually going well then the soviets fell and everything went to shit. lol

EF17AE05E5806DEE3F5FA8FA6D30982232CF27FE

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
First time playing Sweden and it was a walk in the park. They have a ridiculous amount of steel, plus everything this game just went perfect. Right when I turned fascist, Germany guaranteed my independence, so I didn't have to worry about them. Britain has a civil war and turns fascist and joins the Axis, that's another problem gone. I attack Finland first and the Soviets also declare war on them, so it's an easy sweep. I go for Denmark next; it took a bit longer because of the choke point nature of the country, but I still win. Last is Norway and they are a complete joke, it's over in a month. After that I release them to puppets and create a faction, so I can get the Northern Lights achievement and I'll probably just play a bit more to get the Swedish Tiger achievement.

It feels like they made Sweden OP on purpose.

7D3EF10857CB2C03E10E08F823EB278F31731DB6