• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First time playing Sweden and it was a walk in the park. They have a ridiculous amount of steel, plus everything this game just went perfect. Right when I turned fascist, Germany guaranteed my independence, so I didn't have to worry about them. Britain has a civil war and turns fascist and joins the Axis, that's another problem gone. I attack Finland first and the Soviets also declare war on them, so it's an easy sweep. I go for Denmark next; it took a bit longer because of the choke point nature of the country, but I still win. Last is Norway and they are a complete joke, it's over in a month. After that I release them to puppets and create a faction, so I can get the Northern Lights achievement and I'll probably just play a bit more to get the Swedish Tiger achievement.

It feels like they made Sweden OP on purpose.

7D3EF10857CB2C03E10E08F823EB278F31731DB6
Teh bias

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
First time playing Sweden and it was a walk in the park. They have a ridiculous amount of steel, plus everything this game just went perfect. Right when I turned fascist, Germany guaranteed my independence, so I didn't have to worry about them. Britain has a civil war and turns fascist and joins the Axis, that's another problem gone. I attack Finland first and the Soviets also declare war on them, so it's an easy sweep. I go for Denmark next; it took a bit longer because of the choke point nature of the country, but I still win. Last is Norway and they are a complete joke, it's over in a month. After that I release them to puppets and create a faction, so I can get the Northern Lights achievement and I'll probably just play a bit more to get the Swedish Tiger achievement.

It feels like they made Sweden OP on purpose.

7D3EF10857CB2C03E10E08F823EB278F31731DB6
Tbf Britain going fascist basically means the Axis has won by default. If you keep playing Hitler will turn and probably roll you.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Tbf Britain going fascist basically means the Axis has won by default. If you keep playing Hitler will turn and probably roll you.

So far so good. Right now we are just all ganging up on the Comintern. The Soviets are dead and we are working on the lackeys now. America is almost dead too. Canada and Mexico are messing them up. Right now, I'm just justifying against as many non fascist nations I can. When I declare war on them they always join the Comintern and the Axis attack them. I'm attempting to do the New World Order achievement to turn all nations fascist, and by the looks of it, it should happen this game.

Nov 2, 2017
Ouch, been meaning to dig into Stellaris for a while, but found out about the Humble Bundle Paradox Interactive Weekend minutes after it ended :( Does anyone know if there are sales on Steam etc. fairly regularly?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Ouch, been meaning to dig into Stellaris for a while, but found out about the Humble Bundle Paradox Interactive Weekend minutes after it ended :( Does anyone know if there are sales on Steam etc. fairly regularly?
https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/s...&utm_source=CJ&cj_pid=6305441&cj_aid=13212017

Its lowest current price. 9.99€

The lowest it has been is 6.50€ so not that much cheaper, and yeah they normally go for sale in most big sales.

Nov 2, 2017

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Oh thanks! Was not actually familiar with Fanatical.com. Is there one particular Stellaris DLC that people recommend above others? Operating on a grad school budget so will probably not pick up everything.
Out of the hand not really. It really depends on what you want to play. Most of the big changes were free aditions to the game, so you can probably try the game and then see what you like playing as before we can make recommendations.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Oh thanks! Was not actually familiar with Fanatical.com. Is there one particular Stellaris DLC that people recommend above others? Operating on a grad school budget so will probably not pick up everything.
Hey man, did you buy Stellaris already? There is a good bundle that just launched yesterday in Humble Bundle for 9$

I am thinking of getting that pack, so if you didnt buy it tell me (and if you buy it, I can give you the base game for Offworld Trading Company as a way to say sorry for the badly timed link :( )

Nov 2, 2017
Hey man, did you buy Stellaris already? There is a good bundle that just launched yesterday in Humble Bundle for 9$

I am thinking of getting that pack, so if you didnt buy it tell me (and if you buy it, I can give you the base game for Offworld Trading Company as a way to say sorry for the badly timed link :( )

Haha bummer! I actually finally got around to buying Stellaris off of Fanatical only a few hours ago, downloading right now, didn't think to check Humble first. I am pretty curious about Offworld Trading Company, so let me know if you buy the bundle and don't have a use for that :)

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Haha bummer! I actually finally got around to buying Stellaris off of Fanatical only a few hours ago, downloading right now, didn't think to check Humble first. I am pretty curious about Offworld Trading Company, so let me know if you buy the bundle and don't have a use for that :)
You probably should install this addon:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/augmented-steam/dnhpnfgdlenaccegplpojghhmaamnnfp?hl=en

It allows you to see where the games are the cheapest.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Important to remember that any use of the "Remove Kebab" meme in CK2 and EU4 forum is an instant ban. Paradox is quite clear that it does not condone any of that shit, and that the mentions of it in their games are within historical lvls.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
In other news, I finally got the Big Blue Blob achievement earlier today. Was pretty fun to get, a nice challenge to go up to 100 (well, 107) provinces before 1500 (well, 1495).

V1tdJ08h.jpg

tDBhlRnh.jpg

Think I'll continue this, get the 'Better than Napoleon' achievement too. Think I've gotten off to a great start.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
PU with Scotland? Or just break alliance - invade? What CB?

Makes sense to take Aragon/Naples out. Access to the Balkans is nice. Nicely done. I am so unimaginative: I always try that achieve and then just bash my head against Spain/HRE/England.

Tried another Coptic smash go with Ethiopia. Destroyed the Mamluks but even with allies can't dent the Ottomans. I haven't got an economy to back a huge army total, and I have to pour so much into just keeping level with the Ottos tech-wise etc. I have beaten the Ottos many times with other nations, but Ethiopia is tricky.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Makes sense to take Aragon/Naples out. Access to the Balkans is nice. Nicely done. I am so unimaginative: I always try that achieve and then just bash my head against Spain/HRE/England.

Tried another Coptic smash go with Ethiopia. Destroyed the Mamluks but even with allies can't dent the Ottomans. I haven't got an economy to back a huge army total, and I have to pour so much into just keeping level with the Ottos tech-wise etc. I have beaten the Ottos many times with other nations, but Ethiopia is tricky.
You dont start in an alliance with Scotland. Also, never go HRE to get 100+ provinces. Too much AE, just attack Scandinavia.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Ah it's a guarantee with Scotland, isn't it.

Might try that Blob achieve now actually. I liked the idea of taking France to Norway. Tho I did Better than Napoleon only recently.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

So I restarted until I could get Castile and Burgundy as allies, and declared a reconquest war on England on 11th December, calling them in as allies on the promise of land. Portugal was a co-belligerent, and I concentrated on them first, taking Ceuta (the province they have in North Africa) first. You can conquer Granada from there too, that's 4 provinces that no one in Europe cares about you taking (except for Castile, but they're your allies).

I took Pale and the two provinces in Gascony from England, and gave Castile some of Portugal and Burgundy Calais to keep them both happy. From Pale, you can start smashing Irish minors, then move onto Scotland. From Scotland you have a nice launching pad into England, making the second war a whole lot easier. You can also push upwards into Scandinavia, taking provinces from Norway, then swing round into Novgorod for all those delicious low development provinces.

In the south, I took on Aragon almost immediately after my first war with England came to an end, and just took a few provinces from them, Roussillon and Minorca, to release Catalonia and Majorca. Reconquest CB's are very useful for keeping the AE low. I also took two provinces from Naples, to give me a launching pad into the Balkans, taking apart Bosnia/Serbia in three wars. As they're Orthodox, it's less of a problem for Europe.

Important things: Vassals and Reconquest CB's are vital for keeping the AE low, just make sure to start the integration early enough. Becoming the Papal Controller and getting -20% AE and an extra diplomat is literally a godsend, and very easily achievable as France. Don't be afraid to ditch your allies if they get into a war that you didn't call, I ditched Burgundy at around 1470. Manage your coalitions, if you get into a fight with one you may as well restart, but there's really smart ways of getting around them.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Played on for a bit and managed to get the Burgundian Inheritance to fire on 31st October 1499.

rlulOLoh.jpg

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Any good/great tutorial on how to play EU/CK/hearts?

I looked for some but they didn't satisfyed me :( and the in game tutorial is pretty lacking since...well, it doesn teach a lot about what i have to do.
Stellaris is pretty easy to get in to and i quite like it

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
For EU IV, play Portugal. Just keep Castille happy and you are pretty much safe for the whole game, barring majorly unlikely events. This will give you the space to learn a lot by playing.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Main issue of Paradox tutorials is that they tend to get outdated quite fast. So even if you watch some of the video tutorials by Arumba (for example), they are probably already outdated and will just give you a general idea.
So the best thing is just watching the tutorials and then playing an easy nation:
-Ireland minor in CK2
-Castille / Portugal in EU4, just focusing on American / North Africa
-Germany in HoI4 (would probably recommend watching a tutorial on division building and fuel for this), in this case, you must know you will probably lose the first game as you stall into the USSR
-UK or USA in Vicky 2. Mainly USA just allows you to not care about half the world tbh (just grab some indonesian regions for that sweet rubber).

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I'd say for EU IV (the only one I've really played for mega prolonged times) Castille/Portugal avoid North Africa at first - the religious and AE elements (minor as the latter may be there) might be a bit much on top of everything else. Colonialism is EZ and makes you mega loads of cash. Ahhhh, imperialism...

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say for EU IV (the only one I've really played for mega prolonged times) Castille/Portugal avoid North Africa at first - the religious and AE elements (minor as the latter may be there) might be a bit much on top of everything else. Colonialism is EZ and makes you mega loads of cash. Ahhhh, imperialism...
Iberia got a major buff with making the NA culture having their core creation cost increase removed. Now you can easily go into North Africa.

I am pretty biased for Africa colonization as an Iberian nation because it lets you easily streamline your trade flow from Ivory Coast through Songhai up to Morocco. Also, suffieciently away from Europe that most people just dont care.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing Stellaris recently and it's already devouring my time. 😅Just threw everything on the easiest setting except Ironman, this is pretty easy to learn, at least compared to EU3.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Iberia got a major buff with making the NA culture having their core creation cost increase removed. Now you can easily go into North Africa.

I am pretty biased for Africa colonization as an Iberian nation because it lets you easily streamline your trade flow from Ivory Coast through Songhai up to Morocco. Also, suffieciently away from Europe that most people just dont care.

Oo, didn't know that.

I meant from a new player perspective, might be simpler to go gung-ho on poor indigenous peoples than Berbers and whatnot. Eh, it's all learning!

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Oo, didn't know that.

I meant from a new player perspective, might be simpler to go gung-ho on poor indigenous peoples than Berbers and whatnot. Eh, it's all learning!
I mean, the whole America colonization is only part of the growth of the empire, because otherwise you will soon reach Liberty Desire issues. Using the wealth of America (after continuing growing the colonies) into West Africa is pretty good (and helps creates bases to go into india / indonesia where you get all them moneys). The main issue is just not angering any European power and keeping an eye in the Ottomans. However, playing as any colonizing power, Ottomans quickly lose power once your colonial nation swarm has a decent fleet, as that will cripple most of their abilities.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Speaking of colonial nation swarms + overseas allied/vassal forces more generally... has anyone found a way of gaming AI to help you where you really need it? I know you can dictate colonial/vassal military strategies, but I'd really like a way of saying to France 'no, put your doomstacks here, so you can bleed the Ottomans dry whilst I expand at minimal cost, ta'.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
If you click on a province during a war you can set it as a target for allies or vassals.

And in the subject maintenance screen, you can set subject behaviour (aggressive, siege, etc).

But it's still a bit of a crapshoot if they actually listen.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Still over a month until it releases. We'll probably start seeing more stuff mid April.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it is hard to see streamers playing it yet, when they havent given them early access keys yet!
I am following the dev clash and I am actually quite hyped.
That's what I mean. Usually this close to release of a new Paradox Studios game , I'm sure they have had the keys and been streaming by now.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played in a while, but did they ever rebalance AI building priorities so that not all planets were 90% police? It made being a Criminal Syndicate pretty annoying.
Yeah, it's in the patch notes:
Code:
* AI is not so maniacal about crime that it rush builds 3 precinct houses on every planet

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to be hyped about Imperator Rome when you know it's going to be two expansions before it's in a playable, semi-balanced state.

Looks to me like EU4 is really slowing down now.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
The Contingency made me rage quit. I was not prepared for that. At the end of the game I was just coasting along so I decided to make all my sectors vassals (I was extremely bored) and then WHAM. By the time I learned how to equip my fleets to actually be able to fight them, my economy was in the toilet and I had a single 30k fleet to do anything with. Sigh.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Knocked out a quick Burgundy game, ended up being far more successful than I could imagine:
B9560DC1E648441B5BF6DBA6E15792A92E70B3E6

6F41BE94136F47153CB508D95FE6B494F152A8A1

Wore down France over the first 50-100 years, then vassilised > dismantled HRE > took Austria > vassilised = Burgundian Conquest achieve. Also invaded Britain, mainly to take London to secure English Channel trade hegemony, and also to acquire N and S American colonies. Switched to Netherlands once France incorporated as much more globally-orientated, got Sinasappel achieve and a few others.

Was pretty sweet to a) finally get Burgundy going properly, and b) be able to switch ideas et al from continental to global once Burgundian pre-eminence had been established in Europe.

I could have blobbed across the entire continent (I took Egypt, Japan, Taiwan and some other regions for various achieves), as I had absurd power (never had so much income or such high force limits, ended up at about 1k), but I got to the point of not really being bothered about it, as managing wars against, say, Russia, is just too much to bother with, for not much gain other than bigger blob. I'd have won, but moving 20+ armies and ensuring I'm not being invaded on the other side of the world is just boring for me. EU IV thrives when the challenge is there. It's extremly gratifying to meet and beat that challenge, but the game loses something after that. Is how it is.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Knocked out a quick Burgundy game, ended up being far more successful than I could imagine:
B9560DC1E648441B5BF6DBA6E15792A92E70B3E6

6F41BE94136F47153CB508D95FE6B494F152A8A1

Wore down France over the first 50-100 years, then vassilised > dismantled HRE > took Austria > vassilised = Burgundian Conquest achieve. Also invaded Britain, mainly to take London to secure English Channel trade hegemony, and also to acquire N and S American colonies. Switched to Netherlands once France incorporated as much more globally-orientated, got Sinasappel achieve and a few others.

Was pretty sweet to a) finally get Burgundy going properly, and b) be able to switch ideas et al from continental to global once Burgundian pre-eminence had been established in Europe.

I could have blobbed across the entire continent (I took Egypt, Japan, Taiwan and some other regions for various achieves), as I had absurd power (never had so much income or such high force limits, ended up at about 1k), but I got to the point of not really being bothered about it, as managing wars against, say, Russia, is just too much to bother with, for not much gain other than bigger blob. I'd have won, but moving 20+ armies and ensuring I'm not being invaded on the other side of the world is just boring for me. EU IV thrives when the challenge is there. It's extremly gratifying to meet and beat that challenge, but the game loses something after that. Is how it is.
Now that was a massive Commonwealth.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Yup. Actually completely took out the Ottomans. Remained my chums from mid-game to the end, though.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I wonder if they're actually done making expansions for CK2. Didn't they say Holy Fury was likely the last? Maybe this is just a small team leftover polishing things up while Wiz makes CK3.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they're actually done making expansions for CK2. Didn't they say Holy Fury was likely the last? Maybe this is just a small team leftover polishing things up while Wiz makes CK3.
They never said that and they are already qorking on the next expansion after Holy Fury success.

This small team has been like that for 3 years now.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Continuing the EU IV groove, I played as Mali. Colonised SA, controlled nearly all of Western Africa, just expanding into the Congo to dash to Kilwa to leverage more trade to the Ivory Coast, and had just caught up on tech with Portugal, Spain, Britain and France, who all hated me, but all good, my bros the Ottos got my back...

...Britain declares Imperialist war, no problem I say, no problem...
...Ottos renege...
...Spain declares Imperialist war...

...Mali am cry.