• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Is it me or does this expansion look really really good?

Espionage systems seem really fun to play around with.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is a bit of a spoiler, but I have clear evidence that Martin Anward (Wiz) is working on a Victoria game:

Victoria's Secret, a VN game where you have different people that act as the countries:

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
No OT for Surviving The Aftermath but I've been playing the Xbox version this weekend and it seems absolutely great. The whole tone and setup is more appealing to Mars than me, but the scale of the game is much smaller. More about managing workers and coping with limited resources.

Seems potentially a little lacking in long term depth right now but I'm hyped to see this built upon. Didn't expect to be playing it.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
No OT for Surviving The Aftermath but I've been playing the Xbox version this weekend and it seems absolutely great. The whole tone and setup is more appealing to Mars than me, but the scale of the game is much smaller. More about managing workers and coping with limited resources.

Seems potentially a little lacking in long term depth right now but I'm hyped to see this built upon. Didn't expect to be playing it.
I've been curious about this. Does it feel like Rimworld or w/e, or closer to a traditional city-builder? What I'm getting at is, do individual survivors matter; are they characters, or just a cog powering your settlement?

The character-driven aspect of survival-builders is something that really appeals to me.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I've been curious about this. Does it feel like Rimworld or w/e, or closer to a traditional city-builder? What I'm getting at is, do individual survivors matter; are they characters, or just a cog powering your settlement?

The character-driven aspect of survival-builders is something that really appeals to me.
It is probably like Surviving Mars where each individual character matters (they have moods, traits, etc) but you can just mostly treat them as cogs unless optimizing.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Does this have replay ability?

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
We've heard so much about all of Paradox' franchises and devs after PDXCON2019 and Surviving Mars seems to have been a one-off-deal between them (looking at the deactivated Twitter handle for the game and the expansion as a "Surviving"-franchise by giving it to another dev) - but does anyone know/ heard of what Haemimont Games is up to these days? I really like their output, especially regarding building games on console. Tropico 5 was great and it really translated to an awesome Surviving Mars. Their handling of atmosphere, UI, game concept and soundtrack is stellar imo.

Sorry if this is wrong here, but the search didn't give me any general PDXCON thread.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

I played the free hour, too. And I'm very tempted to buy it. It's only 20,- and it plays great on console. I love the world map and the different take on strategy, very nice.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

NUyttbn.gif

Also a Stellaris dev diary on the rockin' new Species Pack.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Bought the lithoid pack and my first impression is really good. Now i wish they did the same quality to both plants and humanoids; specially humanoids which, IMO, are still very "crap".
So what is so great about this cosmetic pack?
  1. Portraits are diverse and many have "unique" animations.
  2. There are a few unique traits that make the species feel much more role-playable; including an obligatory one where any lithoid portrait eats minerals instead of food.
  3. The advisor voice not only sounds great but also adds a lot of puns. My favorite is "new technology rolling out".
  4. The 3D models are much more alien then the previous cosmetic packs.
In short if you want to add variety to your galaxy this is the best cosmetic pack of stellaris. I'd go even as far as one of the best cosmetic packs in the paradox studio games.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I've started playing CK2 after watching a couple of YouTube videos. This game is CRAZY!

I started in Ireland as the video recommended, fight a war for the Desmond County, won, but then my son's wife assassinated me.

I took over as the son, executed my former wife, then married my step mom who was still pregnant with my half brother. Like... WTF that's insane

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder if they'll 'remaster' previous Species packs in the future. Seems like a good opportunity to make them appealing to anyone that skipped 'em, while also giving a good opportunity to flesh out the game.

Oct 25, 2017
So I've started playing CK2 after watching a couple of YouTube videos. This game is CRAZY!

I started in Ireland as the video recommended, fight a war for the Desmond County, won, but then my son's wife assassinated me.

I took over as the son, executed my former wife, then married my step mom who was still pregnant with my half brother. Like... WTF that's insane

Welcome to the craziness that is CK2. It's experiences like that that keep this game so alive no matter how many hundreds of hours you have in the game.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

welcome to CK2, i'm glad you are enjoying it.

I do wonder if they'll 'remaster' previous Species packs in the future. Seems like a good opportunity to make them appealing to anyone that skipped 'em, while also giving a good opportunity to flesh out the game.
I hope so. I'd really enjoy having plants that produce energy/ special resources depending on the star of the star system

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
RPS have a preview of some of the new origins coming to Stellaris:

• Syncretic Evolution, Post-Apocalyptic, Life-Seeded and Mechanist are now origins.
  • 2 of the new origins are related to new federation types, unspecified how this will work.
  • Remnants: Start on a relic world and can assign pops to work dig-sites on your homeworld.
  • Tree of Life: Have a huge tree on your homeworld that gives empire-wide buffs, but massive debuffs if you ever lose control of it.
  • Void Dwellers: Start on a habitat orbiting a shattered world, have a buff for living on habitats, can get habitats much earlier and they are cheaper.
  • Shattered Ring: Start on an intact segment of a broken ringworld.
  • Scion: Start as a vassal of a Fallen Empire.
  • Doomsday: YOUR HOMEWORLD WILL EXPLODE IN EXACTLY 64 YEARS. You also start the game with a "Doomsday Neighbour" (presumably responsible for your homeworld's eventual fate).
  • There are 18 origins in total, the remainder are the vanilla start (presumably), Prosperous Unification (no details on this yet) and 4 unknown.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
So the first CK3 dev diary has me a bit concerned.
Now, you might say: "Cool, but I took the time to master CK2, bought all the expansions, and now it provides me an enormous breadth of options. Why should I buy CK3?"

That's a fair question! As I mentioned earlier, we decided not to carry over all features from CK2, so if you play CK2 primarily for, say, the nomads or the merchant republics (the only faction types that were playable in CK2 but not in CK3), you might be disappointed. There are likely other features and content that will be missed by some players, but, in return, we believe that everyone will find the core gameplay far more fun and rewarding! To be clear, CK3 is a vastly bigger game than CK2 was on release.

Sounds like CK3 will miss quite a bit of stuff from CK2 DLC.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the first CK3 dev diary has me a bit concerned.

Sounds like CK3 will miss quite a bit of stuff from CK2 DLC.
I read it more like "the CK2=>3 transition will be closer to Civ5=>6 than Civ3=>4=>5". It will not be a return to the vanilla version, a lot of DLC features will be in the game at launch, though probably not as deep or developed, and they will need some patches/expansions to be made interesting.
Maybe I'm too optimistic.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I read it more like "the CK2=>3 transition will be closer to Civ5=>6 than Civ3=>4=>5". It will not be a return to the vanilla version, a lot of DLC features will be in the game at launch, though probably not as deep or developed, and they will need some patches/expansions to be made interesting.
Maybe I'm too optimistic.
I think it is the other way around, not all the content from CK2 expansions will be included in CK3, but those included are more developed and expanded (for instance the Way of Life, Council, or Religion modifications).

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017

I'm reading Anthony and Cleopatra by Adrian Goldsworthy, and all the chapters about the history of the Ptolemies just reminds me of CK2. Nothing but relentless backstabbing and incest. CK2 really is a great rendition of dynastic strife.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it is the other way around, not all the content from CK2 expansions will be included in CK3, but those included are more developed and expanded (for instance the Way of Life, Council, or Religion modifications).
With religion, I think maybe Norse, Muslims and Jews will be playable. If they are, that's already 3 big expansions included. If they aren't... then that's a really big map for just the Christians. Since they single out nomads and merchant republics as not part of the game, I'd expect the others will be?
Some pieces of Reaper and Charlemagne could also be included, as part of the role-playing elements? Do we know the earliest starting date?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
With religion, I think maybe Norse, Muslims and Jews will be playable. If they are, that's already 3 big expansions included. If they aren't... then that's a really big map for just the Christians. Since they single out nomads and merchant republics as not part of the game, I'd expect the others will be?
Some pieces of Reaper and Charlemagne could also be included, as part of the role-playing elements? Do we know the earliest starting date?
They confirmed norse, muslim and jews, even then, you can play nomads, just they dont have specific mechanics. Starting date is Old Gods (800s), with no Charlomagne.
Religion wise, you should be able now to create your own religions and branches of religion, so more expanded than the Holy Fury game.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now I'm starting to worry that the game will be like vanilla Civ6: yeah, most of the pieces are here from the start, with a lot of new stuff, but somewhat it just doesn't click together.
At least that's ambitious, for sure. We'll see when it releases!

Oct 25, 2017
Merchant republics were hard coded and kind of broken (they did not play well with enatic succession at all, for example, and you could get all kinds of other succession weirdness). I think it's encouraging for them to hold off for now and hopefully get a much better working version of republics in the second or third year of the game (hopefully including inland republics rather than just coastal ones).

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Am doing a Jianzhou>Qing run. I am now Qing and am pre-eminent. Ming has exploded. It's not even 1500. Booyah.

The reason I post though is holy fuck did I not fully appreciate combat modifiers until now. Sure, I knew terrain, general stats and tech, generals and the main concepts of combat, but that never really hits home until you see a 25k (80% cavalry, tech 7 at highest) stack single handedly demolish the entire Ming army in a succession of engagements in the right areas... The collapse of enemy morale was astonishing, even more so once the Nomadic Frontier disaster hit them. I have never won a war against such a vast foe with so few losses.

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
Am doing a Jianzhou>Qing run. I am now Qing and am pre-eminent. Ming has exploded. It's not even 1500. Booyah.
I just wrapped up my run and had the same deal (not quite as quick, though - nice work!). Conquering Ming is super easy, even before Nomadic Frontier hits (and afterwards, you wish that Ming wouldn't break down so much... the revolting tags are tougher! Don't forget to try and fish for the mission that gets you cores; the hard part is getting the prerequisite devastation mission).

I had an attempted Mongolia run fail at the last second, when rebels popped up at my capital just as my last stack of intact troops arrived... after I was at the point I could stackwipe Ming, but with too few provinces unoccupied for me to recover. Might try that one again.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
I'm doing a Korea run and it's been pretty smooth sailing since Ming collapsed in the late 1400s. Its the 1600s and I own all of Manchuria, Japan and some of China around Beijing and have two colonial nations in western North America. Although I just got into a war with Russia in Siberia to defend my ally Denmark.. I'm a few techs behind so gunna be a bit sketchy.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing a Korea run and it's been pretty smooth sailing since Ming collapsed in the late 1400s. Its the 1600s and I own all of Manchuria, Japan and some of China around Beijing and have two colonial nations in western North America. Although I just got into a war with Russia in Siberia to defend my ally Denmark.. I'm a few techs behind so gunna be a bit sketchy.
You should probably go down the spice island for all that cash.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
You should probably go down the spice island for all that cash.

I was thinking that but the trade nodes to Nippon/Girin come from Mexico/California so I made that my priority. I guess I could have committed to conquering more of China earlier and shifting my main trade node to one of those.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking that but the trade nodes to Nippon/Girin come from Mexico/California so I made that my priority. I guess I could have committed to conquering more of China earlier and shifting my main trade node to one of those.
Spice island money is all production if you arent downstream.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I just wrapped up my run and had the same deal (not quite as quick, though - nice work!). Conquering Ming is super easy, even before Nomadic Frontier hits (and afterwards, you wish that Ming wouldn't break down so much... the revolting tags are tougher! Don't forget to try and fish for the mission that gets you cores; the hard part is getting the prerequisite devastation mission).

I had an attempted Mongolia run fail at the last second, when rebels popped up at my capital just as my last stack of intact troops arrived... after I was at the point I could stackwipe Ming, but with too few provinces unoccupied for me to recover. Might try that one again.

I wanted to rush as was paranoid Ming would find a way around my cavalry. As it is their armies just got sliced to mincemeat on the great plains by all my horsies.

Love it when an EUIV game gets its hooks in. Daydreaming about expansion all day at work.