• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh they changed what all the strategic resources do in stellaris. Orilliam was amour before right? Shields now.

I liked how you can get the tech for them from events now.

You also get notified if other empires have some.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Only took me 950+ hours, but I finally managed a world conquest in EU4. The end was a real drag, took me a while to actually bother to finish it off. Went for the easy route really, Timmy's into Mughals.

cyq5izV.png

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Recently trying to learn some EU IV and Stellaris. Also interessted in war history, but will try HoI4 later.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys,

What is current status and consensus on the state of Hearts of Iron IV?

Did it get the prerequisite patches from Paradox yet and are there any must-have DLC/expansions?

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Hi guys,

What is current status and consensus on the state of Hearts of Iron IV?

Did it get the prerequisite patches from Paradox yet and are there any must-have DLC/expansions?

First i want to say my "background "on paradox games. I have never gotten into HOI before HOI IV. I played Hoi1 and HOI3 but they were too "complex" and weren't being engaging enough for me to learn them. So the following opinion is coming from someone with very little experience on the HOI franchise. DO note that I play EU IV, stelalris and CK2.

IMO HOI at launch was really good but it had 5 "small" problems (small for me).
1) The AI has problems with the distribution of their forces; deploying lots of troops in "useless" territories like north Africa -> this has kinda being fixed by blocking sahara and some AI improvements. Do note that sometimes the AI does still make some stupid mistakes
2) The general system makes very little sense -> fixed in the last patch
3) The air combat is clunky and unintuitive -> mostly fixed in a patch
4) the naval combat is weird and clunky -> focus of the next patch/expansion
5) The units assigned to a frontline would shuffle a lot losing the entrenchment bonus and thus losing every defensive combat against slightly better troops -> Mostly fixed in a previous patch.

For me those problems didn't take away from the game but when they did happen they could dampen the fun a lot. They are nowadays mostly not happening, at least in my games.

In terms of DLC is where the game is weakest. The major draw of each DLC is the unique Focus trees which make the games played with other non major nations much more flavorful. This also means that a DLC is mostly useless if you aren't interested in those countries. Most of the unique mechanics of the DLC are useless or very niche which makes them not very important.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First i want to say my "background "on paradox games. I have never gotten into HOI before HOI IV. I played Hoi1 and HOI3 but they were too "complex" and weren't being engaging enough for me to learn them. So the following opinion is coming from someone with very little experience on the HOI franchise. DO note that I play EU IV, stelalris and CK2.

IMO HOI at launch was really good but it had 5 "small" problems (small for me).
1) The AI has problems with the distribution of their forces; deploying lots of troops in "useless" territories like north Africa -> this has kinda being fixed by blocking sahara and some AI improvements. Do note that sometimes the AI does still make some stupid mistakes
2) The general system makes very little sense -> fixed in the last patch
3) The air combat is clunky and unintuitive -> mostly fixed in a patch
4) the naval combat is weird and clunky -> focus of the next patch/expansion
5) The units assigned to a frontline would shuffle a lot losing the entrenchment bonus and thus losing every defensive combat against slightly better troops -> Mostly fixed in a previous patch.

For me those problems didn't take away from the game but when they did happen they could dampen the fun a lot. They are nowadays mostly not happening, at least in my games.

In terms of DLC is where the game is weakest. The major draw of each DLC is the unique Focus trees which make the games played with other non major nations much more flavorful. This also means that a DLC is mostly useless if you aren't interested in those countries. Most of the unique mechanics of the DLC are useless or very niche which makes them not very important.
Thanks for the detailed reply.

Seems like the biggest remaining problem is naval combat.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

Naval combat is quite bad at the moment imo. Next xpac/patch is focusing on it so hopefully it'll be better then.

Anyone else playing EU4/Hoi4/Stellaris/CK2 while watching E3 streams tonight?

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

It is for me. IMO not being able to upgrade old ships + with no way of easily understanding if your fleets are wining or losing your combats it makes for naval powers to require from the player much more patience. IT really dampens the experience when playing with the USA! and to a lesser extent japan and the UK but at least in these countries you are so close to the mainland and your enemies have very weak fleets you don't really need to pay too much attention to your fleet.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
So at the ass-end/1700's in my first EU4 campaign I'm just now figuring out how Army Tradition and Back-Line works >.>

Makes me wonder how I managed to be a functional world-power to this point with my only strength being, well, being an economic powerhouse via Trade and relying on alliances with the PLC/Austria/Prussia in place of having a functioning military.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
So at the ass-end/1700's in my first EU4 campaign I'm just now figuring out how Army Tradition and Back-Line works >.>

Makes me wonder how I managed to be a functional world-power to this point with my only strength being, well, being an economic powerhouse via Trade and relying on alliances with the PLC/Austria/Prussia in place of having a functioning military.

I mean, those alliances are some of the best in the game so I'm not that surprised no one attacked you.

If you need some advice on everything to do with your army, on YouTube a channel called Reman's Paradox explains everything in perfect detail (some things have changed a little because Paradox do make a lot of mods to things but it's a very comprehensive guide).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Basically this as Teddy said. You only really need the first video of the guide to understand for SP

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, given how much more substantial the expansions announced at PDXCon seem to be compared to their predecessors, I wonder if all the complaints about Paradox's DLC Policy ended up causing some changes after all.

Y'know, in contrast to crap like Third Rome, which came across as full-on "Milking the Cows".

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, given how much more substantial the expansions announced at PDXCon seem to be compared to their predecessors, I wonder if all the complaints about Paradox's DLC Policy ended up causing some changes after all.

Y'know, in contrast to crap like Third Rome, which came across as full-on "Milking the Cows".
They have said they are going to continue doing "immersion packs" just not as centered in a single country (as seen in the British island focus). They are just balancing that with more meatier expansions in EU. The ck2 expansion is probably one last hurrah to close the game. HoI4 one is tied together with one of the big changes they needed to redo from the base game (all the naval content) as well as adding similar content to the previous expansion (redo two of the main nation Focuses which are shit and add some for minors), so it is only really meaty for the rework of a key part (as well as the first 2 expansions of hoi4 being shit compared to the last one). Stellaris just got another minor expansion.
They are just focusing on a two tier lvl of expansions as they can focus on major changes on the "expansion" while just puting some cheaper content packs that are more focused.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Is any of the Stellaris DLC worth grabbing on the Steam sale?
In a general way there are 3 types of DLC for stellaris: Cosmetic; small DLC (story packs) and big DLC (expansions).
Let's start with cosmetic:
- generally speaking cosmetic add variety to the galaxy (new portraits, new ship and stations models) which means it makes the random generated galaxies much more unique.
- Humanoids Species Pack is not worth buying IMO because the portraits are very "human". I know the pack is based on humanoids species but i don't think there is a single "alien feeling" portrait; they feel mostly like star trek humanoid species; that said the ship models are superb and cool to use. The new voices for vir are also quite unique. IMO this pack is only for people like me that have played 100s of hours and want more variety.
- Plantoids Species Pack is a small recommendation for me. While this pack is expensive for its content, the new portraits are amazing. Seeing the plants come to life in game make the galaxy a much stranger place and thus more satisfying to explore.

Small DLC:
- generally speaking for me these are the best "deals" they add a lot of content to a section in the game and thus make the game feel more satisfying.
- Leviathans Story Pack is a recommended buy. It adds 3 mechanics that i enjoy: mid games bosses, these leviathans are a lot of fun to defeat the first time; enclaves, trading and commission art pieces add to the immersion of the game; "war in heaven", a fight between 2 fallen empires that usually ends in a galaxy "world war". For me this expansion adds a bit to mid game and makes it less boring if you are stuck between bigger/powerful empires.
- Synthetic Dawn Story Pack I recommend this pack IF you want to dabble with machine empires. These empire while fun mostly re-use the mechanics from the base game so you are not losing much. The coolest thing is a new fallen empire which has its own storyline. There are very few robot portrait but those that exist are very cool.
- Distant Stars Story Pack is a recomendation from me IF you already know most anomalies. This DLC adds a lot to the early game specially on the anomaly front. It also adds 3 new leviathans. Worth buying if you want to spice the early exploration phase.

Big DLC:
- these revamp a lot of mechanics to a lot of ethics so you won't notice their full effect on 1 campaign so they feel that they have much less content then the smaller DLC. For example spiritualists have unique ascension perks in utopia, with unique storylines and events. If you don't play as spiritualist and take that ascension perk you will never see that feature.
-Apocalypse I recomend this DLC IF you want more features for war. The 2 new features that i really enjoyed are the "death star" like superweapons and the titan (works like a flagship). It has a few non war features but those felt very inconsequential to me. If you want to build a death star this is the expansion to get.
-Utopia I don't recomend this DLC unless you have played a lot of hours. Some features of this DLC have been addded to the base game so it has lost features. In a nutshell it revamps late game by allowing these super buildings like halo rings and dyson spheres. These structures are very late game, I usually build them while the end game crisis is ongoing however if you enjoy building tall this expansion makes that very viable since you can build habitats which work like very small planets in the mid game. One cool thing about this expansion is the ascension perks which are like buffs with mini storylines, for example you can turn your species psychic and then have special events and can even "spy" on fallen empires getting their technology.

That is my opinion on the DLC of stellaris. DO note that i really enjoy stellaris so i'm highly biased to the gane and has such i probably have a lot more tolerance to problems then most people.
IMO you should look at the features and see how much you value them and just wait for the DLC to reach the right price for you.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. I mostly wanted to know how much the big DLCs offer aside from their headline features, and it sounds like not that much. I already have Distant Stars and Synthetic Dawn, so I might give Leviathans a try.

Deleted member 5129

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love playing 4X games, and have always kinda.. looked towards these type of games like "I wish I could play them but I guess I'm just too stupid to understand how they work".

I really want to try to get into one of them now though.. so which one would be the most beginner friendly? Stellaris? CK2? I'm so lost lol

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am excited for Imperator but I can't help but laugh at how much it visually looks like a Total War: Rome II ripoff.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I love playing 4X games, and have always kinda.. looked towards these type of games like "I wish I could play them but I guess I'm just too stupid to understand how they work".

I really want to try to get into one of them now though.. so which one would be the most beginner friendly? Stellaris? CK2? I'm so lost lol
IMO stellaris is by far the easiest for 3 reasons:
- most factions start in similar conditions so you won't have a "major" foe for quite a bit
- it uses a lot of 4x mechanics that are similar to games like CIV
- the UI and tutorial are relatively speaking pretty good.

IMO CK2 is probably the hardest not only because the tooltips and the UI are not very good but also because 5 years of content make a lot of mechanics to learn in "one go". CK2 has, IMO, a lot of obscure mechanics that have 0 explanation in game.
Hearts of iron IV and Europa Universalis IV are not that hard to learn IF you use a big powerful country; however it takes quite a while to grab the basic mechanics that allow you to use smaller countries.

Do note that you shouldn't buy these games with DLC, in most games DLC adds even more features to the base game making it much harder to learn. You should also know that these games have custom modifiers for difficulty so if you are finding the game too hard or too easy you can always change the difficulty.

I'll be frank the latest paradox games aren't that "complex" and i think most people can learn to play them. What they excel in is creating a "believable and immersive" world that you can interact with. If you live in europe or if you play near the GMT timezone I could teach you to play the latest paradox games (europa universalis IV, hearts of iron IV, crusader kings 2 and stellaris)

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Man, stellaris is packed with content now! I didn't play for a few months, buy 2 DLC and it looks like a different game.

Yeah, i know that 2.0 almost remade the game, but wow, its much better now

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
As a heads up, all expansions (except Dharma which hasnt launched yet and the last content pack Rule Britannia) are 75% off in the Paradox Store right now.
It is also a good time to do the PC Gaming Challenge of the month which consists of obtaining all core provinces with France (and Toroto too I think).

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
Paradox DLC hasn't gone as low as 75% off in a very long time. Are they getting ready to announce an EU sequel?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
5 year anniversary of the game. Also ck2 is the game that is the closest to be finished and a sequel to be announced.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Hey guys, do you any of you play Paradox games on laptop? I've been thinking of replacing my old macbook, and am leaning towards a Lenovo Thinkpad T420. I figure it'd be nice if I could also play Paradox games instead of watching Let's Plays on Youtube. The only gaming I do is on PS4. Thinkpad's specs are:

Intel Core i5 2520M Processor
4GB RAM
Integrated graphics (Intel HD 3000 I think?)

Any other suggestions would be welcome, but cheap and cheerful options please! I'm hoping Paradox games are more dependant on CPU and RAM than graphics?

I game on PS4 but there's a dearth of strategy games, makes me sad. :(

EDIT: Hmm, T430 slightly better specs, 8GB RAM and SSD...

I just need to know if the graphics card is a dealbreaker, if not then I can get a budget laptop, otherwise I guess a pricy gaming laptop is the only other way to play these games. :| The days of desktops are behind me.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Looks like Stellaris is going to be getting another major overhaul, this time focused on planets. I have to admire the devs' resolve to just throw out and replace wholesale the stuff that's difficult to build upon. It's usually a sign that they're prepared to keep supporting the game for a very long time (which is kind of par for the course with Paradox admittedly).

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ary-121-planetary-rework-part-1-of-4.1115043/

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Hey guys, do you any of you play Paradox games on laptop? I've been thinking of replacing my old macbook, and am leaning towards a Lenovo Thinkpad T420. I figure it'd be nice if I could also play Paradox games instead of watching Let's Plays on Youtube. The only gaming I do is on PS4. Thinkpad's specs are:

Intel Core i5 2520M Processor
4GB RAM
Integrated graphics (Intel HD 3000 I think?)

Any other suggestions would be welcome, but cheap and cheerful options please! I'm hoping Paradox games are more dependant on CPU and RAM than graphics?

I game on PS4 but there's a dearth of strategy games, makes me sad. :(

EDIT: Hmm, T430 slightly better specs, 8GB RAM and SSD...

I just need to know if the graphics card is a dealbreaker, if not then I can get a budget laptop, otherwise I guess a pricy gaming laptop is the only other way to play these games. :| The days of desktops are behind me.
Where do you live? And how much are you going to spend on a laptop?
I have a work laptop with an i5 and a gtx 525m. It can run most games at 900p well at speed 3.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Where do you live? And how much are you going to spend on a laptop?
I have a work laptop with an i5 and a gtx 525m. It can run most games at 900p well at speed 3.

Thanks. I'm in the UK. I'm now leaning towards getting a 'gaming' laptop. For example, the ASUS FX504 is one of the cheapest first options Amazon throws up. Probably more than enough to handle Paradox games, including Stellaris. It's got a Nvidia GTX 1050 in it.

Lately I've been browsing Steam and blinking in disbelief at the amount of DLC for EU4, the total cost to own it all is crazy haha. Although I just discovered paradoxplaza which has a great sale at the moment. I think what I'll do, whenever I end up getting a new laptop, is play the base game, just to ensure I actually enjoy it, before getting any DLC.

I'm currently watching a Let's Play by Benjamin Magnus Games. This guy is attempting to survive in the shadow of the Ottomons as Karaman. One of my goals when I play the game is to pick a Kurdish demographic nation and build an empire (my family are Kurdish).

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm currently watching a Let's Play by Benjamin Magnus Games. This guy is attempting to survive in the shadow of the Ottomons as Karaman. One of my goals when I play the game is to pick a Kurdish demographic nation and build an empire (my family are Kurdish).

You'll probably want The Old Gods then. There's a Zoroastrian Kurdish starting character in the 867 start.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Thanks. I'm in the UK. I'm now leaning towards getting a 'gaming' laptop. For example, the ASUS FX504 is one of the cheapest first options Amazon throws up. Probably more than enough to handle Paradox games, including Stellaris. It's got a Nvidia GTX 1050 in it.

Lately I've been browsing Steam and blinking in disbelief at the amount of DLC for EU4, the total cost to own it all is crazy haha. Although I just discovered paradoxplaza which has a great sale at the moment. I think what I'll do, whenever I end up getting a new laptop, is play the base game, just to ensure I actually enjoy it, before getting any DLC.

The most important parts for paradox games are the CPU (the better it is the better the game will run at higher speeds) and the HDD (the better it is the faster the initial loading will be). Ram can also be important if you use a lot of mods

For paradox games a 1050 is enough, however if you can get a 1050ti or 1060 would allow you to run most if not all strategy games currently available at relatively high settings. Games like total war need a "powerful" GPU.

I live in Portugal so I don't know if the difference between GPU is worth it in UK. In Portugal a laptop with a 3GB 1060 has a very similar cost to a 1050.

IMO the DLC are not worth buying unless you want more content. The base game can take easily 100hs to fully explore. You also don't need to buy all the documents just the ones you want to dabble in. For example let say you don't play with Russia then you don't need the third Rome dlc. Think of the dlc like an "la carte" expansion and not as must have content.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
You'll probably want The Old Gods then. There's a Zoroastrian Kurdish starting character in the 867 start.

The most important parts for paradox games are the CPU (the better it is the better the game will run at higher speeds) and the HDD (the better it is the faster the initial loading will be). Ram can also be important if you use a lot of mods

For paradox games a 1050 is enough, however if you can get a 1050ti or 1060 would allow you to run most if not all strategy games currently available at relatively high settings. Games like total war need a "powerful" GPU.

I live in Portugal so I don't know if the difference between GPU is worth it in UK. In Portugal a laptop with a 3GB 1060 has a very similar cost to a 1050.

IMO the DLC are not worth buying unless you want more content. The base game can take easily 100hs to fully explore. You also don't need to buy all the documents just the ones you want to dabble in. For example let say you don't play with Russia then you don't need the third Rome dlc. Think of the dlc like an "la carte" expansion and not as must have content.

Thanks for the replies guys. At the moment I'm leaning towards getting a gaming laptop: Acer Nitro 5 with AMD 3GHz, 8 RAM, 128SSD and 1TB HDD and a Radeon RX550 4GB. Yeeeah, overkill, but ensures I won't have problem with PC gaming for a long while.

After discovering paradoxplaza and their ridiculous sale (ending on the 23rd everyone!) I just went on a mad binge and got :

EU4 + Art of War & Common Sense & Cradle of Civilization
CK2 bundled with 4 DLC (all for £15!? Sword of Islam alone is currently £8 on Steam!!!)

Been watching a lot of Let's Plays lately. I watched a Youtuber play the base game of Stellaris, and after 5 videos I was thoroughly unimpressed and disappointed. I then watched the same guy play some of the Apocalypse expansion, and although the game seems improved, it still lacks something for me, despite the awesome premise of the game it just doesn't look as enjoyable as EU4 and CK2. I'll probably get it if it's super cheap one day though.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Been watching a lot of Let's Plays lately. I watched a Youtuber play the base game of Stellaris, and after 5 videos I was thoroughly unimpressed and disappointed. I then watched the same guy play some of the Apocalypse expansion, and although the game seems improved, it still lacks something for me, despite the awesome premise of the game it just doesn't look as enjoyable as EU4 and CK2. I'll probably get it if it's super cheap one day though.

Stellaris is very much a 4X game with a few grand strategy elements. It's also the game most likely to change dramatically over time since the director isn't afraid to completely scrap and rebuild game mechanics that just don't work in the way he'd like. There was a minor upset in the community over Stellaris 2.0 and there will probably be another when the next major update comes out. Waiting for it to be cheap isn't a bad idea, since it'll almost certainly be a more complete game later, even without DLC.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
This update seems like a net shift towards GSG rather than 4x. Especially as I imagine it's the structural change that's going to allow the eventual diplo overhaul to function even better. I'm glad that Wiz is happy to just throw out entire systems and rewrite them. Hopefully he stays on as director for a long time.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

Part two of the planet/society rework in Stellaris. I love how much more organic it should be with far less granular control over the makeup of your empire.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really disappointed with paradox and especially the HoI 4 team. While Stellaris already had 2 large expansions and 2.0 changed most of the game there seems to be a standstill with HoI 4. They're adding fuel which is a nice idea but i don't think they'll be able to implement it without it being a clusterfuck and be either useless or completely kill any game in which you won't play Japan or Germany because the AI won't be able to properly work with fuel.

AI is still a clusterfuck and plays like it's completely overwhelmed against a human player who applies the most basic tactics like encircling.

There still is no espionage systems and diplomacy/trade/economy feel basic AF.

Dunno if they just don't have the capacity of people working on it or if the code is a mess but the rate of necessary changes compared to Stellaris is way too slow.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
HoI4 is generally just a mess, so it takes them a while to add anything. It went through development hell and it's a minor miracle it could release at all.

So unfortunately, it shouldn't be surprising it's taking them a while to add anything.

Tim

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing about HOI4 is the last few times I've checked the active players list on Steam, HOI4 has had more players than any other Paradox game. Based on the way I see people talking about it, I was under the impression it didn't gain traction.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing about HOI4 is the last few times I've checked the active players list on Steam, HOI4 has had more players than any other Paradox game. Based on the way I see people talking about it, I was under the impression it didn't gain traction.
It is the game with the most active multiplayer and mod base of all the paradox games. It was just much more "dumbed" down compared to HoI3 so a lot of the "hardcore" players cried. It is a pretty good game, it can just get samey with time (thank god for steam workshop making mods much easier to install and update)

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017

Paradox released some statistics recently and one of the major points was that a very significant proportion of the people who play HoI4 use one of the major mod whilst playing (Kasairreich, Modern Day Mod, Road to 56' mod the main three I think). So people complaining may still be playing significantly, just using mods to help paper over the cracks.