• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...this is common? Like you can find almost any new pc game for a discounted price on storefronts like gmg/gamersgate/cdkeys, etc and it doesn't hurt those games.
There is a difference between a 10% discount and nearly 75% discount than some regions were getting. Paradox probably believed the sales would be similar to how the Lunar Sales were in Steam (were the discount was made so the amount of money would be similar for each region, instead of creating loopsided % differences between richer and poorer regions)

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
so...why not just have a system to not allow the sale to apply for that game?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Nice on Epic but I fucking knew Vampire 2 for $10-20 was insane, no matter what regional pricing you have.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I mean...this is common? Like you can find almost any new pc game for a discounted price on storefronts like gmg/gamersgate/cdkeys, etc and it doesn't hurt those games.

Not only that but the lack of support by Epic of these key sellers was a common recurring element why people wouldn't support the store. So this whole thing feels farcical to me

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, here some games prices are quite low. World War Z is $9, Metro Exodus $5, Control is $14, Phoenix Point is $6. And mind you, some of these games I mentioned are on preorder, like Phoenix Point.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
so...why not just have a system to not allow the sale to apply for that game?
The 10€ flat discount is also available for games that are not current purchasable in EGS:
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/anno-1800/home

unknown.png

Which means that the discount is a store wide variable without any possibility of being removed (I guess).

Edit: I just want to say this is the reason you never make flat discounts when you have price diffferences with the same product, because it loopsides the discount in some regions.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who is claiming this is "scummy" is very short-sighted, and this is completely within Paradox's right to do, and honestly it's a good move for them as it is their product and this would have negative long-term consequences due to how Epic decided to handle the sale.

Nobody's claiming Paradox doesn't have the right to do it. It's also right there in the OP that the publisher was informed about the sale so it seems like a stretch to blame this on big bad Epic. It's odd to opt into a sale in advance and then opt out when it goes live.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody's claiming Paradox doesn't have the right to do it. It's also right there in the OP that the publisher was informed about the sale so it seems like a stretch to blame this on big bad Epic. It's odd to opt into a sale in advance and then opt out when it goes live.

It's hard to say what they were told. Galyonkin is known for 'stretching' the truth in his favor, even before egs was out.

But I simply can't imagine that Paradox would approve it selling for $5. One year before release.

When Steam did similar promo, they scaled back promo on regions with much lower price, so prices didn't go nearly as low. (and had higher minimum purchase).

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

Not even I said people were saying that, I just said it was their right to do and far from scummy due to a few early responses like this:

Makes no sense for Paradox to do this at all, and only makes them look bad.
That's pretty scummy of Paradox.
That's just stupid decision imo. They are still getting the same money, i don't understand why would they do this and screw over potential buyers.

And as we're discussing, the author's version of the truth is a bit questionable and state dependent, but that's another topic entirely. Unless they reached out to Paradox specifically for comment, it's likely an assumption of theirs.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It is clear that Epic Store is not capable of any advanced setup for sales. Epic just applied 10$/€ Store wide without thinking. And because they don't support regional currencies in many places but lower prices you get this. Epic Store simply is not ready for anything except buy and download (in Ubisoft case even that is not possible).

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Epic already fucking up relations with publishers when they have like 20 games on their store. Solid work, Sergey.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Pure comedy how ham-fisted Epic is with its store. Trial and error while learning on the job.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
I'm surprised other companies that have games that haven't released yet are fine with deep discounts.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
People also forget that if folks can lock onto the price of $5 for Bloodlines 2 on EGS, those same customers can also request a refund from Steam, GOG or the Paradox Store.

Therefore ...PARADOX LOSES MONEY.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Why are people definitively saying Paradox approved? Galyonkin's statement says nothing of the sort. It just says they were made aware in advance of the conditions of the sale, not that they had approved it. They could have been fighting to keep their game from being part of it in the first place b/c of regional pricing issues.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Weird that it would be temporarily unlisted. Why not just remove all discounts and keep it on the store?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Please provide a source on this, because I am pretty sure EGS actually prevents this. You can only get those prices if you live in the actual region.
Nope you can use a VPN on a new account and buy from that region. You get locked into it after the first purchase or your payment method gets added.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Pure comedy how ham-fisted Epic is with its store. Trial and error while learning on the job.

Good thing they have all that Fortnite cash that they can try and farm out to smooth any hurt feelings at publisher side.

Weird that it would be temporarily unlisted. Why not just remove all discounts and keep it on the store?

I wouldn't be shocked if EGS just doesn't support such nuanced features yet.

Oct 25, 2017
That's so weird when Epic are eating any loss on this.
There's the customer side to consider. And specifically what will happen after the sale is over.

When a game is 50-70% off in a pre-order, it may drive customers away from buying the game for full price afterwards. When the game has already been available for a very cheap price, might as well wait till it's for cheap again!

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Whether its Paradox's choice, lots of times I hear era complain that some shill for companies or suggest they must own stock or whatever.

All I'm saying is this was good for the consumer. By them removing it, it leaves a bad taste. Sort of like it's too good for this sale. People regardless will wait for massive discounts for digital PC games, it's a given. Hell I wait for them to join humble bundle, no need to pay full price.

Anyways little conflicting what some say as always.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Understandable that Paradox would do that if it can really go for that incredibly cheap and I wouldn't be surprised if Paradox didn't understand how cheap it would be given how slapdash much of EGS still seems to be, at least from the outside.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Why are people definitively saying Paradox approved? Galyonkin's statement says nothing of the sort. It just says they were made aware in advance of the conditions of the sale, not that they had approved it. They could have been fighting to keep their game from being part of it in the first place b/c of regional pricing issues.

100% it went
'we're doing a $10 discount sale, you in'
and paradox went 'sure'

Then earlier today, paradox sent them an email and said 'why the fuck is our game on sale for $55 off in some regions?'

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like only non-exclusive games are leaving
I guess games that are in multiple stores just realized that the flat discount applies in all regions, creating % discounts that are too high for other stores they promised "equivalent pricing in the near future" (such as GoG, Steam, GMG) to ever reach soon.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
If you were a game Publisher and realised your 60 dollar RPG was getting sold for 5 dollars, on your main platform, A YEAR BEFORE RELEASE, you'd be like "Hol' up" too

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised other companies that have games that haven't released yet are fine with deep discounts.

It's not weird at all, the pricing in other territories isn't as they expected and probably runs foul of their agreements with other stores they are partnered with.
Epic infrastructure for the store is so pathetic and ill thought out, that there is no option but to get pulled from the store.

If you are not expecting Epic to be this disorganised with their store and without thought to any but themselves, you haven't paid attention to the mess they have consistently made since opening their store

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like only non-exclusive games are leaving
Which kinda makes sense from both perspectives: Steam has said in the past that they'd like developers and publishers to put games on sale for similar prices to other retailers, and I'd imagine Humble, GMG, GOG et al would like to be treated similarly.

From the perspective of exclusive games, Epic's probably already given them a sales guarantee or an advance, so this is functionally Epic writing a large chunk of that money off.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Makes extra sense, since Paradox doesn't have EGS' moneyhat to fall back on, unlike 505 (Control) or BigBen (The Sinking City)

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Which kinda makes sense from both perspectives: Steam has said in the past that they'd like developers and publishers to put games on sale for similar prices to other retailers, and I'd imagine Humble, GMG, GOG et al would like to be treated similarly.

From the perspective of exclusive games, Epic's probably already given them a sales guarantee or an advance, so this is functionally Epic writing a large chunk of that money off.

Officially that's only for Steam keys tho. (But I can imagine it still having effect in relations)

Oct 2, 2018
I woulda kept it on the sales list and went for the mega sales bump. Them pulling out is strange to me; I don't consider their launch title overpriced at RRP. This is a bonus to gamers on EGS

Click

Nov 22, 2017
If you were a game Publisher and realised your 60 dollar RPG was getting sold for 5 dollars, on your main platform, A YEAR BEFORE RELEASE, you'd be like "Hol' up" too

100% correct. People trying too do some soothsaying on what happened. This is a regional pricing screw up, nothing to do with the $10 imo.

Epic isn't making up the difference in regional pricing, only the flat $10 is epic-paid

"Devalued the game" lmao what bullshit
But it's not tho

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
But Epic is still giving then the full purchase after their cut...so they are not getting less than $5 per copy sold...