• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I was able to catch this last week and enjoyed it. Liked it more than Snowpiercer and Okja for sure. Did go in blind, have no idea why that was important. Don't think knowing about anything that happened would have changed my feeling all that much outside of a very brief like 3 minute period of "wtf" about halfway through.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Saw it yesterday and I liked it well enough. It's a very well-made movie and many parts of the script, themes and visuals resonated with me pretty well.

It was pretty long and very traditional though. Predictable in the dramatic structure I guess, which makes it feel very long for me. I was not surprised when I read this man directed Okja, also a movie that felt very loooong even though themes should have resonated with me a lot, because hey the meat industry criticized in a big movie? Awesome.

Same here, really good to see a big-name director criticize capitalism. So I appreciate the movie for a lot of things, but something about it didn't resonate with me fully.. gonna think a bit more about why it might be.. 🤔 I think it's just dramatic structure and pacing.. hmm. Cool to see it get lots of buzz, looking forward to more from this director! 😘

edit: I think part of it is that it's very literal and 'on-the-nose' as they say? It's not a very subtle movie at all. Same with Okja. The 'message', 'theme' is so constant and a bit .. 'in-your-face'? Haha, I wish I had better ways to describe this.

It was a while ago I saw it, but it reminds me in structure and pacing of the Handmaiden... something about the long, very explanatory way of pacing. And tying things up.. very.. tidy? A very tidy movie.

Last edited:

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
In the wake of Parasite's momentous Eddie Award win for Best Edited Feature Film in the Dramatic category last night, I'll share this vid from Nerdwriter1 that encapsulates the majesty of one of the film's most noteworthy montages...

Hopefully it can ride this momentum to nab the Editing prize from perceived front-runner, Ford v Ferrari, on Oscar night.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
In the wake of Parasite's momentous Eddie Award win for Best Edited Feature Film in the Dramatic category last night, I'll share this vid from Nerdwriter1 that encapsulates the majesty of one of the film's most noteworthy montages...

Hopefully it can ride this momentum to nab the Editing prize from perceived front-runner, Ford v Ferrari, on Oscar night.

So good...this whole sequence is also my fav 5 min of any movie from last year. With the music helping to put it over the top amazing.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I re-watched it the other day, and what really stood out as how refreshingly modern is. It's still uses elements like smartphones, Wi-Fi, image modification, all kinds of modern trappings that usually don't get taken advantage of in a movie like they could be.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Parasite won the Eddie.

It's going to win the Oscar isn't it?
The one benefit of the Editing category is that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood isn't in it so people may flock to support Parasite there to give it something beyond the Oscar it already has locked up (International Film) because it seems unlikely to best Tarantino for Screenplay or Production Design given how much Hollywood loves itself more than anything.

With the Eddie loss, multi-time Oscar winner Thelma Schoonmaker is pretty much out of the running for The Irishman and Joker hasn't received any wins for its editing anywhere, so Parasite really only has to worry about a late surprise push for Jojo Rabbit and Ford v Ferrari (which I don't feel has people especially passionate for it).

Oct 25, 2017

This sequence and music is a top 5 montage of the decade easily. If this gets robbed for Editing, it'll remind me when Gone Girl got robbed after the best edited montage of that year in Technically, Missing.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The music is this movie is so fuckin good I thought it was a classic composition they used for the movie. Come to find out, its all original. "Belt of Faith" is just wow, dawg.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
I feel people take the wrong thing from "GO IN WITHOUT SEEING ANYTHING!". It means that you shouldn't read reviews that could spoil certain aspects that are better left unsaid before taking in the film but won't ruin it either. Its just a film that is a bit more rewarding going in without much prior knowledge. Not that you should expect some crazy insane twist or think up something far more than was ever intended. I think people do this stuff to themselves way too much.

Exactly.

At the same time, from what I remember we got very little material pre-release form anything past the first act.

On my initial viewing, I honestly didn't know where the movie was going to go at all and I loved that.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The music is this movie is so fuckin good I thought it was a classic composition they used for the movie. Come to find out, its all original. "Belt of Faith" is just wow, dawg.

I think they clearly are using some motifs and homages to classical picees so that's why it sounds like that. The violin in that song sounds eerily similar to a piece I've heard before but its used with original backing music

Deleted member 57578

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I wish I hadn't heard so much hype for this movie. I don't think of myself as being susceptible to that sort of thing, but there's only so much I can take before I get truly hyped.

I love weird/cult/artsy/foreign/genre movies, and I though Parasite was 'fine'. Everyone said "DON'T READ ANYTHING ABOUT IT" so I didn't even know it was by the director of The Host, Mother, & Snowpiercer. I thought those were just 'fine' as well, so I guess I just don't click with his style.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
I think the reason people say don't read anything about it is that the first half really is quite strikingly different from the second, and the turn and developments are more shocking if you don't know what's coming.

Also re-watching it I was struck by how nuanced it is. The rich people are shown to be decent people in many ways. But they have a sense of entitlement that they aren't really aware of.

I do think memories of murder might be his better movie though.

Dec 16, 2017
I feel people take the wrong thing from "GO IN WITHOUT SEEING ANYTHING!". It means that you shouldn't read reviews that could spoil certain aspects that are better left unsaid before taking in the film but won't ruin it either. Its just a film that is a bit more rewarding going in without much prior knowledge. Not that you should expect some crazy insane twist or think up something far more than was ever intended. I think people do this stuff to themselves way too much.

I've learned that going in blind improves every movie. It's amazing how many people will call a movie predictable forgetting that they watched multiple trailers that outlined every major story beat except the ending.

Anyway, I just saw this and really enjoyed it. Combined with the Joker, there's a lot of hating the rich this year.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Finally saw this, really enjoyed it. I'm halfway through the thread (I like reading you guys responses), and one thing I haven't seen mentioned is the relationship between the
flood and "trickle-down" economics
. I can't quite put my finger on it but I feel like it's there.
Not saying that the director doesn't know the expression, but he is not primarily making his movies for an American audience, and while there are similar concepts in foreign cultures - they would not use the metaphor of 'trickle down' . They might in Korean - but I doubt it.
In any case, the descent from the house on the hill to the flat in the bowels of the city was more what he was going for I think (or is that too obvious)

In any case it's a good movie, I'm glad he reined in his goofiness a little bit - it spoiled Okja and especially Snowpiercer for me. Liked the nuanced depiction of the families , and the constant shift in style.

Last edited:

less

Oct 25, 2017

The music didn't register as much as the film's visuals but it really is amazing. It definitely helped elevate more than a few scenes now that I've thought about it.

golem

Oct 25, 2017

Thought this was a really good walkthrough of Parasite's ending and ideas. Learned a few new things from it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no easy way to watch this outside of theaters yet is there?

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I was able to catch this last week and enjoyed it. Liked it more than Snowpiercer and Okja for sure. Did go in blind, have no idea why that was important. Don't think knowing about anything that happened would have changed my feeling all that much outside of a very brief like 3 minute period of "wtf" about halfway through.

I agree - I have no idea why there was that warning in this thread. It honestly annoyed me. I kept thinking this movie would take a hard sci-fi turn, because of the warning to "go in blind".

I absolutely loved the movie either way. Such an amazing story, with suspense, weirdness, great camera work.

Okja is my favourite movie by this director, but Parasite is right underneath it. I will have to watch other films by him. 😊

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
It just won best picture at the SAGs, these people vote in the Oscars It also won the EDDIE, which was best picture from
Editing guilds
Exactly. This is going beyond just Foreign Language. It was the first ever to get best ensemble at the SAG.

It beat out Pesci, Deniro, and Pacino. Think about that for a second.

Also helps that it really was the best picture this year(though I wouldn't mind seeing OUATIH winning).

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
So, I watched this today at midday, and it's currently 9.15pm and my mind it's still like this:

source.gif

I think I am gonna go to bed, and I will still be thinking about the movie

Jul 4, 2018
It just won best picture at the SAGs, these people vote in the Oscars It also won the EDDIE, which was best picture from
Editing guilds
Black Panther won best cast last year so don't count your chickens yet, I'm someone who wants nothing more than for Parasite to win best picture but it's got an uphill battle.

As far as the editing award one of the other films I mentioned that is in contention for best picture is 1917 that features nearly no editing so it's still got a really good shot at winning.

I mean the last foreign best picture winner was The Artist and that film was set in Hollywood. Hollywood loves themselves and Im just preparing myself for disappointment but hoping to be pleasantly shocked.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
It certainly wouldn't have been the same experience for me if I knew what was going to happen. I guess it doesn't impact everyone the same way.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, nothing too crazy happens honestly. I still don't think you should spoil it for yourself, but the story progression isn't that shocking. All the talk makes it seem like it has some crazy M Night Shyamalan twist.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It certainly wouldn't have been the same experience for me if I knew what was going to happen. I guess it doesn't impact everyone the same way.

Someone spoiled the ending of the first Red Dead Redemption and I wasn't bothered at all. Sure, I was a bit salty when I got spoiled but in the end, storytelling is equally important.

But that was a game lol. I don't get movie spoiled very often, except with trailers :D.