• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Liked it except one point in the story which soured it a bit for me.
Why did they (Kim's) let themself get pressured /blackmailed by the former housmaid and her husband with the vid? They had dirt on the housmaid too, she had her husband living in the basement for 4 years and while they hadn't any videos of it, it would have been easy to proof this, since the basement is right there. Instead the were sitting there with their hands up like the former housmaid had a gun trained at their heads. As far as i see it, it was rather a stalemate situation.
Since since was a vital moment in the movie, i thought that this moment could have been written differentliy but with the same outcome of the rest of the movie.

Because the housemaid didn't care if they had dirt on her. She even said that once she sends the video they'll all go to jail together.

Anyhow, what a crazy movie. Emotional rollercoaster.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Holy shit what a movie,
the final gutpunch is delivered so well and immediately solved some of my issues with the story (i.e. him buying that house wouldn't raise any suspicion and he could earn enough that easy?)

As soon as the parents go away on the camping trip this movie made me the most tense I've been watching something since like No Country For Old Men

Last edited:

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
what a brilliant film, I need to see it again many more times. Just so gorgeously shot and thematically well realized. One of my favorites in many years.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Of course I didnt understand what they were saying and yet I still found the acting performance of the rich wife phenomenal and completely captivating.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Wow. It has been a while since I've come out of a film completely floored. Absolutely amazing, thanks ERA for telling me to go blind into this.

It's not going to win Best Picture but it's my Best Picture in my heart.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched it again. It great.

Don't ask me where, but 15 minutes could have been trimmed and this would be insanely rewatchable. But if you were asking me where, you could start with snipping two minutes from the
dinner party in the living room

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I don't agree with the "go in blind" advice surrounding this movie. I actually wish I had known the premise before watching, because the trailer and poster made it seem like a horror or thriller. I kept expecting the story to shift gears in that direction until about halfway through when I realized it was just a drama.

I still really enjoyed it, but yeah it's not like reading the one-sentence synopsis on IMDB will spoil the movie.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with the "go in blind" advice surrounding this movie. I actually wish I had known the premise before watching, because the trailer and poster made it seem like a horror or thriller. I kept expecting the story to shift gears in that direction until about halfway through when I realized it was just a drama.

I still really enjoyed it, but yeah it's not like reading the one-sentence synopsis on IMDB will spoil the movie.

A friend of mine went in blind and thought it was going to be an Invasion of the Body Snatchers type of film. It took him half an hour to realize his mistake.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also the second time around I caught how the two kids even after the dads speech about how "the best plan is to not have a plan because it never will happen" still hold on to planning things. ki-jeong mentions something at the party about ki-taek having a plan for the basement family and the dream sequence at the end is ki-woo's "plan" for saving his father which of course is never going to happen.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw this with the GF, we absolutely loved it. Not easy to beat The Lighthouse for my movie of the year, but this certainly did it.

I don't think Parasite will beat Memories of Murder for me since that one's one of my absolute GOATs, but it's easily one of the best movies I've seen in years and like with MoM, I can definitely see myself rewatching this over and over again.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
Didn't see this posted but regarding 📺

- 6 hours long 🤔
- undecided if it will be in English or Korean 👍
- series, also titled Parasite, will explore stories "that happen in between the sequences in the film". 🤷‍♀️
- starting up after Oscars in March 2020 🙏
I'm interested but honestly the pacing and storytelling of the film are some of my favorite things about it.

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
I've seen all of his films, would have to say this is just a hair behind Memories of a Murder, which is just a masterpiece. The story is so tight and so so good. Laughed out loud way more than I thought I would.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm still iffy on:
Why doesn't the dad just leave after months have passed? Does he know that the police are still looking for him?

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad I watched this. I had nearly written it off but I rented it tonight and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. It's going to take time to think about it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I imagine they'll be after him for years, and officers are still keeping vague tabs on his family. If he were to show up, they'd know.
Still though wouldn't it be better
to be in jail and be able to see his family and have his survival guaranteed than to never see his family again and basically be living in jail while doing it

Ultryx

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I can't believe I wasted over 2 hours of my life watching this piece of shit excuse for film.

Just kidding. Went in totally blind and really enjoyed it. Definitely one of my favorite movies of recent - and extended - memory. Fantastic job and I will be watching Memories of Murder soon.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
Finally saw the movie a few days ago. Loved it. When I saw the initial international teaser trailer, posted on Resetera several months ago, I thought the narration on the trailer seemed a bit weird, but chalked that up to art being art.

After the seeing the film, I now realize the teaser trailer is narrated by Housekeeper Moon-gwang acting out in her North Korean news anchor impersonation, and she coughs during the narration not because of the fumigation scene, but because of her peach allergy. Can a trailer be included in foreshadowing?

One detail that kind of threw me off was actually Mr Park's job. He seemed to be a mid-level manager, not a C-suite executive, the latter of which would better explain that level of wealth.

One thing I'm still iffy on:
Why doesn't the dad just leave after months have passed? Does he know that the police are still looking for him?
It's relatively more difficult to be on the lam in a small country like South Korea than in say, the United States. The land area of SK is similar to the state of Indiana, but surrounded by the sea on three sides and goddamn North Korea on the fourth side. The movie likely takes place in the Seoul metro area, where half the country lives (25 out of 51 million).

Having said that, I agree, it would be so much easier to just escape the house at night and take one of the ubiquitous charter buses to a small town.

Last edited:

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this last night. Absolutely incredible film. The cast is so damn good.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
UK Era here, finally going to get to see it this Friday, the wait has been long, very excited!

Watched Snowpiercer last night and really enjoyed it.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally saw the movie a few days ago. Loved it. When I saw the initial international teaser trailer, posted on Resetera several months ago, I thought the narration on the trailer seemed a bit weird, but chalked that up to art being art.

After the seeing the film, I now realize the teaser trailer is narrated by Housekeeper Moon-gwang acting out in her North Korean news anchor impersonation, and she coughs during the narration not because of the fumigation scene, but because of her peach allergy. Can a trailer be included in foreshadowing?

One detail that kind of threw me off was actually Mr Park's job. He seemed to be a mid-level manager, not a C-suite executive, the latter of which would better explain that level of wealth.

It's relatively more difficult to be on the lam in a small country like South Korea than in say, the United States. The land area of SK is similar to the state of Indiana, but surrounded by the sea on three sides and goddamn North Korea on the fourth side. The movie likely takes place in the Seoul metro area, where half the country lives (25 out of 51 million).

Having said that, I agree, it would be so much easier to just escape the house at night and take one of the ubiquitous charter buses to a small town.
pretty sure he was ceo, he had whole magazine articles with him on the cover!

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
saw it last night and loved it

if you liked this, i think you should take the time to see "the talented mr. ripley" if you have not done so yet

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017

I literally came here to say this.

There are definitely movies out there where the less you know, the better, but this ain't it chief.

Regardless, great movie and a final shot that felt like a gut punch.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But you didn't go in blind. You watched the trailer and saw the poster and came away with some preconceived notions of what the film was going to be which colored your expectations.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Bong covered that with regards to the trailer

D6c9sUrXoAAm9EC

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard a lot about this film and am thinking of watching it. What kind of movie is this? Comedy? Thriller? Drama?

Oct 26, 2017
I just watched last night with a group for our movie night. I liked it but it waivered for me once we got to the husband in the basement. I didn't like his story, along with the previous housekeeper. I went from loving to "this is fine."

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
But you didn't go in blind. You watched the trailer and saw the poster and came away with some preconceived notions of what the film was going to be which colored your expectations.
True, but even the suggestions to go in blind set up unnecessary expectations for me before I saw the trailer and poster. I don't think that saying...
it's a social commentary about a poor family bamboozling a rich family
... would spoil the movie.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
A good video essay on how the film expresses its themes through set design

Had no idea the movie was pretty much all sets - pretty damn impressive work, for sure. I'm usually an idiot when it comes to themes and metaphors, so I'm a tiny bit proud I picked up on almost everything mentioned in the essay here during the movie. Any more good essays to check out?

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched last night with a group for our movie night. I liked it but it waivered for me once we got to the husband in the basement. I didn't like his story, along with the previous housekeeper. I went from loving to "this is fine."
yep, up until that point the movie was great for me, but the whole sequence lead to the ending just make me go eh. There are much better korean movies out there, not sure why this movie got so much hype this year

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I only have one nitpick about the film's ending:
The Rock after the incident. How did the Son get it back? I would imagine it was evidence and thus part of the investigation.

Anyways, I can't stop thinking about it. I'm reading the script and already found some interesting details that I missed at first.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
yep, up until that point the movie was great for me, but the whole sequence lead to the ending just make me go eh. There are much better korean movies out there, not sure why this movie got so much hype this year

Spread the love, my dude. What films did you have in mind?

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Watched it yesterday and have to say from start to finish really enjoyed it, good script, excellent acting and lovely visuals

Reminded me of Us for the themes it explores but from a different cultural point, given its from South Korea and not USA

Definetly my favorite from the director