• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Saw it tonight and enjoyed it, but it was awfully predictable, even down to the final scene. My wife and I paused the movie like 5 times during it to discuss what would happen next and we were right everytime.

That didn't ruin it for us or anything, but I just felt like it telegraphed everything.

1. The kid got a job and you knew the rest of the movie was going to be about the rest of the family also getting a job for them, thus the title "parasite".
2. You knew they were going to force out the housekeeper in some way. And their actions would come back to haunt them and somehow this plan was going to absolutely blow up
3. You knew when the housekeeper came back and was likely looking for a child or something in the basement... Didn't think it was her husband but you knew it was going to be some person.
4. You knew eventually the family in the basement was going to escape.
5. You knew pretty much this movie was going to end with everyone dying and getting screwed just like "Breaking Bad", family member tries to help family, it goes right for a little bit, then it sounds out of control and eventually everyone's going to end up dead.
6. When the dead is on the floor of the gym lamenting how it's all pointless that he was going to kill the rich family. You also knee he would wind up in the basement because the other husband told him it wasn't so bad.
7. The son having the happy ending you knew was fake because that's how Inception ending

Still a cool cool movie, I just wished it went MORE off the rails than it did
Damn, some of you watch movies for plot?

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
why do you think they could see each other at any time? They couldn't. At all.
He could leave that basement whenever he wanted. Sure he could be seen by a neighbors screen, but that is if everyone is watching for him still at this point, and if they'd recognize him.

As for his son, he said the tails had long stopped. So there was time.

My point is - he wasn't chained down there. He was free to come and go as he pleased. So the idea that he CANNOT leave isn't very strong. Is it risky? Yes. But not impossible.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He could leave that basement whenever he wanted. Sure he could be seen by a neighbors screen, but that is if everyone is watching for him still at this point, and if they'd recognize him.

My point is - he wasn't chained down there. He was free to come and go as he pleased. So the idea that he CANNOT leave isn't very strong. Is it risky? Yes. But not impossible.
But like...

RESPECT

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018

There were cameras pointed directly on the house exit. Ki-Woo said the tails stopped but I think he meant that with regards to them keeping tabs on him and his mother, as they (at least at that point) didn't actually know anything about his whereabouts, but that doesn't mean the authorities weren't continuing their own separate search for him. But don't forget he also suffered brain damage. Maybe he never saw any morse code signal coming from the house or maybe Mr Kim was never even there. He imagined the scenario of his life in the future where he saves his dad by buying the house, but maybe us seeing Mr Kim escape by locking himself in the basement of that house was part of his imagination too.

At least that's something I deemed possible.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched this, it was good. I think I liked the first half more than the second half though.

Rrang

Oct 27, 2017
OH, USA
Just finished it! Really enjoyed it, with all the twists and turns.

but... that one scene at night made my heart drop... don't think I'll be sleeping well tonight, haha

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
There were cameras pointed directly on the house exit. Ki-Woo said the tails stopped but I think he meant that with regards to them keeping tabs on him and his mother, as they (at least at that point) didn't actually know anything about his whereabouts, but that doesn't mean the authorities weren't continuing their own separate search for him. But don't forget he also suffered brain damage. Maybe he never saw any morse code signal coming from the house or maybe Mr Kim was never even there. He imagined the scenario of his life in the future where he saves his dad by buying the house, but maybe us seeing Mr Kim escape by locking himself in the basement of that house was part of his imagination too.

There was an interview I read where it was made clear that him being in the basement was real, and the ending was stopped at a point where it wasn't impossible for him to be saved, but it wasn't guaranteed either. If it ended before the dream sequence ended, you would debate whether it was a dream or not, by ending where it did the question is whether and how he escapes instead.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Dad should have gone to prison in the end. Not the self-made "prison" he went in.

Fantastic film nonetheless.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Dad should have gone to prison in the end. Not the self-made "prison" he went in.

Fantastic film nonetheless.
source.gif

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Really liked the movie, time just flew by. Reminded me of when I was stationed over there minus the whole killing thing lol

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
you are not. that scene made me so hungry i had to pause the movie and go out for food. unfortunately nothing like that is available 'round these parts unless you make it yourself.
I was literally salivating in the theater. I'm about to have to buy the ingredients and make a go of it myself

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, "ramdon" was an invention of the person who did the localization in the subtitles. The actual dish is known as jjapaguri, which is similarly a combination of two sorts of instant noodles. In order to convey that it's a combination of instant noodles to western audiences, "ramdon" was invented because it was assumed that western audiences would be more familiar with ramen and udon than the actual instant noodle products that were being combined.

(Another bit that's also changed in the translation, they just say "sirloin" when the actual thing the mother asked for is hanwoo, which is basically high-end steak, sorta the Korean equivalent of wagyu or kobe beef. Sirloin kinda undersells the degree to which they're adding something only available to the very rich with cheap instant noodles, although the generic "steak = rich" thing does get across a lot of the same intent.)

Apparently the standard version of the dish combines 2 instant noodle packets from the Korean brand Nongshim, Chapagetti and Neoguri. So if you're trying to recreate it, those are what you'd want to seek out.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, "ramdon" was an invention of the person who did the localization in the subtitles. The actual dish is known as jjapaguri, which is similarly a combination of two sorts of instant noodles. In order to convey that it's a combination of instant noodles to western audiences, "ramdon" was invented because it was assumed that western audiences would be more familiar with ramen and udon than the actual instant noodle products that were being combined.

(Another bit that's also changed in the translation, they just say "sirloin" when the actual thing the mother asked for is hanwoo, which is basically high-end steak, sorta the Korean equivalent of wagyu or kobe beef. Sirloin kinda undersells the degree to which they're adding something only available to the very rich with cheap instant noodles, although the generic "steak = rich" thing does get across a lot of the same intent.)

Apparently the standard version of the dish combines 2 instant noodle packets from the Korean brand Nongshim, Chapagetti and Neoguri. So if you're trying to recreate it, those are what you'd want to seek out.

Damn, thanks. Gotta try that out for a Sunday lunch lol.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I teach a film studies course for high school students, so I picked this up for a "why is this the first international film to win the Oscar for best picture" assignment. Haven't seen it yet, but excited to watch it and see what my students can do with an analysis. I've already seen some random screencaps with interesting composition to dig into.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Actually there was.

Rich dad mentions that the original housekeeper eats enough for two people.
Yeah. That's why I wasn't surprised:
when the housekeeper shows back up and says i left something in the basement, you could quickly connect that comment that there was a person in the basement.

I thought it was a child, or maybe the rich family was evil and they were keeping people down there and the housekeeper had come back to free them.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I knew as soon as this won we would be innundated with hot takes.

*Parasite is the Best Picture Winner!*
41pih9cD1-L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
was so disappointed by this movie after all the hype. it's basically snowpiercer 2.0 and I was expecting something new
I hated Snowpiercer and Parasite is my favorite movie of the year. They're really not similar at all except for some vague class struggle connections.

Oct 25, 2017
How is it Snowpiercer 2.0?
Very similar structure, themes, outcomes, and even some exactly repeated metaphors. They're two movies that have the same criticisms about society presented in different formats. And that's fine, it was a good movie, but it seemed like an attempt to convey the same message through a somewhat less ridiculous scenario to reach a wider audience.

I don't mind that one director has something he's trying to say across multiple movies. I just didn't realize that's what I was getting before I saw it.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
Very similar structure, themes, outcomes, and even some exactly repeated metaphors. They're two movies that have the same criticisms about society presented in different formats. And that's fine, it was a good movie, but it seemed like an attempt to convey the same message through a somewhat less ridiculous scenario to reach a wider audience.

I don't mind that one director has something he's trying to say across multiple movies. I just didn't realize that's what I was getting before I saw it.
Ah, I see, thank you! Yes, I agree, the message is similar.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Watched it yesterday, plenty has been said about how good of a drama it is but was caught off guard by how funny the movie is as well. Sent the cinema bawling multiple times.
The dad's expression as he held up the tissue with the sauce on it was fucking hilarious.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This still comes off as a gross over simplification of both films as similar themes from a creator isn't exactly surprising. It also shares themes with Okja and structure similarities with The Host. The execution to me is by and far his strongest to date where it came off as maudlin or a hackneyed in Snowpiercer.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017

theres no reason for anyone to monitoring that house, no one thinks he's there. Yes there's cameras, but a random dude running out in the middle of the day/night will not draw that much suspicion.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
theres no reason for anyone to monitoring that house, no one thinks he's there. Yes there's cameras, but a random dude running out in the middle of the day/night will not draw that much suspicion.

And then what? Wait out the statute of limitations? I imagine he also carries a fair bit of guilt.

Oct 25, 2017
This still comes off as a gross over simplification of both films as similar themes from a creator isn't exactly surprising. It also shares themes with Okja and structure similarities with The Host. The execution to me is by and far his strongest to date where it came off as maudlin or a hackneyed in Snowpiercer.
I agree with that. It's a much, much better done snowpiercer. I think my expectations were out of place due to the size of the hype and awards attention. A movie that tells me that being poor forces you to fight other poor people for a tiny sliver of rich people's wealth isn't groundbreaking or incredible or enlightening the way I was hoping as I went in entirely unspoiled.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I teach a film studies course for high school students, so I picked this up for a "why is this the first international film to win the Oscar for best picture" assignment. Haven't seen it yet, but excited to watch it and see what my students can do with an analysis. I've already seen some random screencaps with interesting composition to dig into.

Just as a heads-up, a couple disclaimers. It's not the first international film to win Best Picture, but it is the first foreign-language film to do so. For instance, The Artist was a French production but featured only a few scant lines of dialogue, all in English. My other caveat is that while you, I'm sure, have to send out a permission slip for R-rated films (if you're viewing them in class or assigning them) Parasite does have a brief, somewhat sexually explicit (and hilarious) scene. It's not anything a high schooler hasn't seen but I could see some pushback from parents.

Obviously, you know better about your students and school policies than I do but since you haven't seen it yet I figured you might want to know.

Good on you teaching film studies at that level, though!

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just as a heads-up, a couple disclaimers. It's not the first international film to win Best Picture, but it is the first foreign-language film to do so. For instance, The Artist was a French production but featured only a few scant lines of dialogue, all in English. My other caveat is that while you, I'm sure, have to send out a permission slip for R-rated films (if you're viewing them in class or assigning them) Parasite does have a brief, somewhat sexually explicit (and hilarious) scene. It's not anything a high schooler hasn't seen but I could see some pushback from parents.

Obviously, you know better about your students and school policies than I do but since you haven't seen it yet I figured you might want to know.

Good on you teaching film studies at that level, though!

I'll add that caveat to the assignment.

It's an English course for seniors and I have their parents sign a blanket R-rated permission slip already, but thanks for the heads up. I did check the parental guide stuff to see if there was anything super egregious. We've done stuff with a bit of nudity or sexually explicit stuff which is fine, but yeah, I always have to think about it.

It's a fun class! It's a short course so I spend a bit of time teaching them how to interpret cinematography, editing, and mise-en-scene, while learning some basic terminology to use to talk about film. Then we spend some time doing adaptation theory, considering I have to make it an English course and there needs to be some reading involved.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I agree with that. It's a much, much better done snowpiercer. I think my expectations were out of place due to the size of the hype and awards attention. A movie that tells me that being poor forces you to fight other poor people for a tiny sliver of rich people's wealth isn't groundbreaking or incredible or enlightening the way I was hoping as I went in entirely unspoiled.
What way were you hoping? In what way would that have seemed groundbreaking/incredible/enlightening?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Saw it tonight and enjoyed it, but it was awfully predictable, even down to the final scene. My wife and I paused the movie like 5 times during it to discuss what would happen next and we were right everytime.

That didn't ruin it for us or anything, but I just felt like it telegraphed everything.

1. The kid got a job and you knew the rest of the movie was going to be about the rest of the family also getting a job for them, thus the title "parasite".
2. You knew they were going to force out the housekeeper in some way. And their actions would come back to haunt them and somehow this plan was going to absolutely blow up
3. You knew when the housekeeper came back and was likely looking for a child or something in the basement... Didn't think it was her husband but you knew it was going to be some person.
4. You knew eventually the family in the basement was going to escape.
5. You knew pretty much this movie was going to end with everyone dying and getting screwed just like "Breaking Bad", family member tries to help family, it goes right for a little bit, then it sounds out of control and eventually everyone's going to end up dead.
6. When the dead is on the floor of the gym lamenting how it's all pointless that he was going to kill the rich family. You also knee he would wind up in the basement because the other husband told him it wasn't so bad.
7. The son having the happy ending you knew was fake because that's how Inception ending

Still a cool cool movie, I just wished it went MORE off the rails than it did
Literally paused like pirated the movie or paused mentally and checked notes with your wife in the cinema? Either way seems like a boring way to watch a movie unless you enjoy that method?

Oct 25, 2017
What way were you hoping? In what way would that have seemed groundbreaking/incredible/enlightening?
While I knew the move would be about class conflict, I had no expectation that the story would follow the same trajectory as Snowpiercer in the motivations and consequences via the characters' journey through their attempt to take a piece of a better life from those who are hoarding it.

Literally paused like pirated the movie or paused mentally and checked notes with your wife in the cinema? Either way seems like a boring way to watch a movie unless you enjoy that method?

You can rent it online.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Was fuming because none of my local cinemas was showing it (or The Lighthouse).

Had another check on a whim earlier and Parasite is showing now! Seeing it on Wednesday. Can't wait.

Nov 2, 2017
Fuck that. Ramen and Udon would not be a good mix.

As was mentioned in my post he quoted, ramen and udon is not the actual dish. The actual dish is a combination of two types of instant noodles, but in order to communicate that it's a mixture of two types of cheap instant noodles they used ramen and udon for the english subtitles. US audiences might know what those are, thus being able to understand how it's cheap instant noodles with expensive steak added instead of just "oh, it's some dish I've never heard of".

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
As was mentioned in my post he quoted, ramen and udon is not the actual dish. The actual dish is a combination of two types of instant noodles, but in order to communicate that it's a mixture of two types of cheap instant noodles they used ramen and udon for the english subtitles. US audiences might know what those are, thus being able to understand how it's cheap instant noodles with expensive steak added instead of just "oh, it's some dish I've never heard of".
I mean, Neoguri calls itself instant udon on the package and Chapagetti is basically a ramen-style noodle. Jjapaguri itself is just a cute nickname for the dish, combining the chapa (jjapa) from Chapagetti and the guri from Neoguri, so I get why the subtitler would come use a brand-agnostic version of the nickname for audiences that wouldn't be familiar with those products. Anyhow, I have now ordered myself the ingredients and will be attempting the dish as soon as they arrive.

God have mercy on my soul.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
While I knew the move would be about class conflict, I had no expectation that the story would follow the same trajectory as Snowpiercer in the motivations and consequences via the characters' journey through their attempt to take a piece of a better life from those who are hoarding it.

I just have to ask when was the last time you saw Snowpiercer? Outside of the very basic theme of class I don't see how the two film are that similar. Who in the Park family is an analogue to the Wilford character? Who in the Kim family shares an arc/motivation similar to Curtis? Who in the story serves the Gilliam role? How is Snowpiercer's unambiguously hopeful ending( Bong's words not mine) at all similar to the extremely nihilistic ending of Parasite?

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Neoguri calls itself instant udon on the package and Chapagetti is basically a ramen-style noodle. Jjapaguri itself is just a cute nickname for the dish, combining the chapa (jjapa) from Chapagetti and the guri from Neoguri, so I get why the subtitler would come use a brand-agnostic version of the nickname for audiences that wouldn't be familiar with those products. Anyhow, I have now ordered myself the ingredients and will be attempting the dish as soon as they arrive.

God have mercy on my soul.
I made it.
It tastes bad.