• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
About time mainstream folks are getting into Korean movies. I been watching foreign movies for many years and hands down Korean cinema are the best in world right now especially when it comes down to thrillers. Memories of murder, The Chaser, I saw the devil, The man from no where and The Yellow Sea will put most Hollywood movies to shame.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
About time mainstream folks are getting into Korean movies. I been watching foreign movies for many years and hands down Korean cinema are the best in world right now especially when it comes down to thrillers. Memories of murder, The Chaser, I saw the devil, The man from no where and The Yellow Sea will put most Hollywood movies to shame.
Oh yeah, the quality of Korean cinema is ridiculous. I'd also put France's output up there

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Going to AMC River East this weekend to watch it. Sucks I have to go downtown to watch foreign films.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, the quality of Korean cinema is ridiculous. I'd also put France's output up there
Out of five movies that influenced Parasite, two are French and one is Korean: https://theplaylist.net/parasite-five-films-bong-joon-ho-20191011/

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I see a better movie all year, I'd be amazed. Marriage story, Irishman, y'all got some work cut out for ya

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
If this movie can even get nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture I would consider that as good as winning it, even though it deserves to win it outright.
20 out of 24 Gold Derby experts (since September 24th) have Parasite included in their Best Picture nomination shortlists.
I believe it stands a very good chance of landing a Best Picture nom in addition to being a lock for Best Foreign Film.

Bong Joon Ho is also likely to bag a Best Director nom even though it's almost a foregone conclusion at this point that award has been reserved for Tarantino as a consolation prize while they give Best Picture to a film that's actually good like The Irishman (most likely) or Marriage Story.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
20 out of 24 Gold Derby experts (since September 24th) have Parasite included in their Best Picture nomination shortlists.
I believe it stands a very good chance of landing a Best Picture nom in addition to being a lock for Best Foreign Film.

Bong Joon Ho is also likely to bag a Best Director nom even though it's almost a foregone conclusion at this point that award has been reserved for Tarantino as a consolation prize while they give Best Picture to a film that's actually good like The Irishman (most likely) or Marriage Story.
That says a lot about why the Oscars are bullshit and don't deserve the attention. Just an endless conflict of individual, commercial and corporate interests.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching. Man what a ride. The tension was crazy, had me entranced throughout the movie.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Absolutely loved it!
I'll be surprised if this won't be my favorite movie of the year. Can't wait for the Blu-ray release! (I guess the fact that it releases in French first means it's EU region tho?)

I honestly don't get the whole "go in blind" thing though.
The "spoiler" synopsis in the OP is perfectly fine and doesn't spoil anything.
It's perfectly possible to give a description of the premise of the movie without spoilers.
If anything, it's the official trailer that spoils too much if you ask me.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I ended up missing a little bit of the film cause I was rushing from work and now I'm sitting in a restaurant in koreatown and my waitress is giving me housekeeper vibes

Hahaha man I feel that. Honestly probably the best movie I've seen all year. Trying to see the lighthouse soon too to see if that's good.

Incandenza

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this thing is incredible. So much to unpack but even on a surface level it's totally engrossing. Go see it!

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Watched this in the theaters last night. It was great. I wanna watch it again and see what I missed.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm just jealous of y'all who get to see this now. Gotta wait until Oscar season, this comes out in UK on February along with The Lighthouse :(

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Close spoilers booo

I thought it was quite good, but I was also thinking how the inevitable Hollywood remake will change every detail to make it more Murican.
Should be up there with Best Director, Film, Foreign Language Oscars, but I'm not sure if they will be campaigning to the Academy voters.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I've gotta wait another week... But next weekend I will see it. Can't wait. Watched The Host, Mother, and Memories of Murder in anticipation.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
My favorite movie of the year so far and I can echo the thread title.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to find a ticket in SF, but it's sold out at both the Alamo and Kabuki. I'll have to wait next week to check this out. Really pleased about the positive reception.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thread title just reminded me of my annoying brother spoiling the beginning of the movie.
I tried to keep away from everything on purpose...

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I thought it was quite good, but I was also thinking how the inevitable Hollywood remake will change every detail to make it more Murican.
Should be up there with Best Director, Film, Foreign Language Oscars, but I'm not sure if they will be campaigning to the Academy voters.

All indications are that Parasite is a lock to be nominated for Best International Film aka Best Foreign Language Film and it seems like it's the heavy favorite to win the category altogether. It sounds like they want to make a push for Best Picture, Director, and Screenplay too.

Poody

Oct 27, 2017
this movie is funny, thrilling, and cerebral. Holy cow what a great movie for the decades. Going into this movie without knowing anything, you discover the plot right away.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Got damn.

Yeah this is my movie of the year so far.

That description of this being a "stairs movie" is mindfucking me. It's so metaphorical!

My favorite film of 2019. Absolutely masterful in its management of space and framing, plays with plot and tone with confident deliberate relish, and packed with distinct vivid characters.

I can't stop remunerating on its themes and being blown away by the immaculate technical prowess

Non-spoiler thoughts

Spoiler impressions
In Parasite, an act of (selfishly-motivated) good will spirals out of control in whiplash-inducing fashion. This pitch-black tragicomic domestic drama/caper flick/thriller/allegory unfurls with awesome confidence; literally, in that the pacing, plotting, direction inspire awe for the cinematic prowess on display.

You can't help but root for the Kims in their acts of subterfuge: narratively, the family is too endearing, the Park household so blind and naive and dysfunctional, that such comeuppance is enthralling. Uneasy, sure, to watch their methodical infiltration built upon emotional manipulation and the cost of others, but enthralling nonetheless. Of course it helps that their con is infused with the style and energy of the best heist films: a freewheeling house of cards where every hand is a suit of witty improvisation and low-key resourcefulness. But that victory soon crumbles in a fateful crescendo of repercussions, as both the movie and tone descend into disorienting dread and nerve-wracking confrontation.

However, Parasite is a movie too smart to make the Parks the bad guys; there are no villains here, only the dominant and the downtrodden. Like peeling off a scab, the middle-act turn reveals the consequences festering beneath such good fortunes. Faced with "parasites" like themselves, we see that greed doesn't iron out the Kims' edges and appetite, doesn't make them nicer, just makes them more desperate to maintain their momentary status. The good times are washed away in an apocalyptic flood, leaving behind only resentment and self-doubt and suffering.

Is clawing out of the economic depths just a fleeting dream, a flight of fancy destined to shatter against the crushing burdens of struggle? Parasite's bleak ending doesn't offer much optimism.

Took all the words out of my mouth.

the genre-bending in this is unlike anything i've ever seen.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have not stopped thinking about this movie since coming out of the theater. What a ride.

Oct 25, 2017
This is so easily on my Top 10 of the decade list. As it was settling into the third act, that's all I could think of.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Watched Snowpiercer last night then this this morning. Very good movie and delicately made.
Where was the money they made going and if they were so good at their jobs why the scams? They could hold those jobs legitimately. Bad economy?

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Movie of the year for me.

My only issue was a personal one, but I felt it was a bit too close thematically to Shoplifters, which was one of the best films of last year. I don't think anything is beating it this year.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Movie of the year for me.

My only issue was a personal one, but I felt it was a bit too close thematically to Shoplifters, which was one of the best films of last year. I don't think anything is beating it this year.

It felt to me like a companion piece to Kurosawa's High and Low. I mean that as the highest complement.

Oct 27, 2017
So, that's def my fav movie of the year. And it might be my favorite movie period.

I just have to vent a little and say I was bothered by other viewers continual laughing at the violence,
including the former made getting push back down the stairs and her husband bashing his face on the light switch.
Oh, and my friend I brought saying at the very end of the movie she didn't get it and then saying "it was good but..."

Kinda reminds me that I need to see movies like this alone. I'll be doing that again

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So, that's def my fav movie of the year. And it might be my favorite movie period.

I just have to vent a little and say I was bothered by other viewers continual laughing at the violence, including the former made getting push back down the stairs and her husband bashing his face on the light switch.

Oh, and my friend I brought saying at the very end of the movie she didn't get it and then saying "it was good but..."

Kinda reminds me that I need to see movies like this alone. I'll be doing that again
That moment was such a whiplash of caper fun (finishing the meal in time), physical comedy (mom's nonchalant kick), and disturbing violence (the housekeeper's head slamming against the wall made my stomach drop)

Last edited: