• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
me and the gf just watched it, we really enjoyed it

we were giggling at the hiring part, "holy shit they're going to take over the whole house, the whole family is moving in!", but then once the shit hits the fan half way through we were on the edge of our seats

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
Started off so strong for me but honestly kinda became uninteresting after the Parks settle back in during the storm.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
This is the best movie of the year, regardless of language, plain and simple.

you can quote me on this.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I cant understand the "ENDING EXPLAINED!!"-ness or "Go in blind!!!"-ittude around this movie. Nothing was particularly confusing or shocking. If you know the premise you'll still enjoy the movie and it's by a prolific director who's produced films with similar themes and tone. But I guess that type of hype and phobia helps the word of mouth and box office so whatever

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
I saw it a few hours ago and I LOVED it. I had been excited for this film for a long time because of the director and it did not disappoint.

Wasn't sure if I'd be able to find it subbed in my area so I'm really glad that worked out.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Advocating Piracy
At this point I have to torrent it because despite the fact I'm in America for half of October their "platform release" won't hit South Carolina to freaking December probably and meanwhile back in Germany it's German dubs or German subbed.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Not in the top three for me this year but I really enjoyed it. More straight forward than the wording would have you believe but that doesn't take away from the quality of the movie. The Handmaiden, Oldboy & Memories of Murder are still my favorite Korean movies of this millennium.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
eh, it was very well made, very well acted, but the social commentary was kinda too convoluted and not concise enough to work for me. Like I guess I know what the movie is supposed to be about, but it just didn't come together at the end for me.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
The fate of Ki-jung the sister was totally unnecessary I thought, really felt like the adventure of the four of them yet one is offed unceremoniously and only given a few lines of dialogue. Completely unsatisfying narratively for me :(
I agree. She was wonderfully charismatic, I can't believe she was just dropped like that. I bought her cold, flawless execution of the con far more than the brother's, which seemed like a pretty wild shift from his previous clumsy adolescent-ness. I might've preferred her taking the lead rather than him.

Yeah, this was great. Gorgeous film. The flood sequence must've been an incredible technical challenge, but it was so worth it. Instead of giving the audience and characters some time to breathe and recenter we're forced into an even more dire situation than the one they've just escaped from. Just exhausting despite the incredible craft of the sequence, and totally puts the audience in the same emotional place as the characters, questioning whether all this is really worth it. Amazing.

I did come in with expectations of something more twisty and perhaps darker, for the first half or so of the film I was very much assuming the Parks were running some kind of scheme themselves, presumably something very dark. This seemed supported by how the Parks aren't shown talking solely amongst themselves, they're always with or overheard by the Kims, which could've explained their almost cartoonish gullibility, and when the sub-basement was revealed I was thinking "oh, here we go," only for something completely different to be revealed that I definitely didn't see coming. I think those expectations poisoned my viewing a bit in retrospect, so people being told this is a film where spoilers are critical should probably relax a bit because it really isn't. There's only one major twist aside from the hard hitting conclusion, and it adds depth more than recontextualizing the whole film.

It struck me after viewing how similar to Us this film is in theme, content and overall sensibility (albeit not nearly as violent) and I can't believe I didn't realize it sooner. Bong Joon-Ho/Jordan Peele collab please.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It struck me after viewing how similar to Us this film is in theme, content and overall sensibility (albeit not nearly as violent) and I can't believe I didn't realize it sooner. Bong Joon-Ho/Jordan Peele collab please.
Us was my number 1 of 2019, now number 2, but I thought Parasite handled those similar themes in a more confident, accessible, resonant, and cinematic way.

As for the flood sequence, they built that neighborhood and house from scratch in a water tank set

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
That moment was such a whiplash of caper fun (finishing the meal in time), physical comedy (mom's nonchalant kick), and disturbing violence (the housekeeper's head slamming against the wall made my stomach drop)

I laughed i have to admit, although i was ashamed of my words and deeds later on

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Us was my number 1 of 2019, now number 2, but I thought Parasite handled those similar themes in a more confident, accessible, resonant, and cinematic way.

I really appreciate the elements of magical realism/not-quite sci-fi that Jordan Peele has included in his films. Bong Joon-Ho has gone there in the past with his films like The Host (which I actually haven't seen, need to get on that), and Parasite feels like it tiptoes right up to the border of that territory with how heightened it is, but at the same time it's so controlled. Confident is absolutely the right description.

As for the flood sequence, they built that neighborhood and house from scratch in a water tank set

Jesus. I'd love to read more about its production, got links to any articles?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
thats really impressive, i had no idea
I really appreciate the elements of magical realism/not-quite sci-fi that Jordan Peele has included in his films. Bong Joon-Ho has gone there in the past with his films like The Host (which I actually haven't seen, need to get on that), and Parasite feels like it tiptoes right up to the border of that territory with how heightened it is, but at the same time it's so controlled. Confident is absolutely the right description.

Jesus. I'd love to read more about its production, got links to any articles?
The rich house was also a built-from-scratch set, designed to make sure the architecture fit the story (ie characters could eavesdrop on the kitchen from the stairs, certain rooms could be in the background of scenes happening in another room, etc.). The lower level was built on location, while the other levels were on separate soundstages, all seamless merged through green screen. Nearly 500 VFX shots in the film

Some articles:

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The rich house was also a built-from-scratch set, designed to make sure the architecture fit the story (ie characters could eavesdrop on the kitchen from the stairs, certain rooms could be in the background of scenes happening in another room, etc.). The lower level was built on location, while the other levels were on separate soundstages, all seamless merged through green screen. Nearly 500 VFX shots in the film

That's incredible.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

wtf this is nuts, that never even remotely occurred to me at all

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017

Us' last 15 minutes was amateur hour. Parasite kept it accessible, but didn't lecture the audience about its message

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019

Some articles:
Mindboggling. Thanks!

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been thinking about just how jaw dropping so many of the shots were. The last time I was so at awe was Children of Men (previously my favorite movie or one of my favorites...this movie I think takes it.) And I think of all the fucking shots my favorite is....
when the daughter is sitting on the toilet smoking a cigarette with shit exploding out of the toilet during the flood

What's everyone else's favorite shot if they had to pick one?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I've been thinking about just how jaw dropping so many of the shots were. The last time I was so at awe was Children of Men (previously my favorite movie or one of my favorites...this movie I think takes it.) And I think of all the fucking shots my favorite is....
when the daughter is sitting on the toilet smoking a cigarette with shit exploding out of the toilet during the flood

I also adore that shot. The whole movie is so thoughtfully framed, it's stunning.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Two immediately come to mind
1) The long take following the mother as she descends the twisting stairs into the bunker
2) The overhead shot of the father and family moving through the flooded neighborhood towards their apartment

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
xe05nugsfeu31.jpg

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
This opens in more theaters today in the States, here's hoping it really starts to pick up some broader buzz now.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
this was thrilling

my only complaint is that the pacing is really off in the second half. I totally thought it was going to end after the flooding sequence

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of a better original film this decade. I can't believe this movie is so rich thematically without being an adaptation

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Really liked it, can see it making my Top 10 of the year, it's really unique and glad I went in as blind as possible. It definitely went to some places I wasn't expecting and applaud it for that. I guess if I had a complaint it would be that some of the turns are a bridge too far for me and require a bit more suspension of belief than I'd prefer. I think it would have felt stronger in places if it rung more true to what might actually happen under various circumstances.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Really liked it, can see it making my Top 10 of the year, it's really unique and glad I went in as blind as possible. It definitely went to some places I wasn't expecting and applaud it for that. I guess if I had a complaint it would be that some of the turns are a bridge too far for me and require a bit more suspension of belief than I'd prefer. I think it would have felt stronger in places if it rung more true to what might actually happen under various circumstances.
Suspension of belief?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The local theater that normally picks up films like this isn't going to be screening. I need a mainstream theater release or a bluray. D:

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Right behind Last Black Man in San Francisco for me. Incredible film tho.

easily top two of the year

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Is it available for purchase somewhere on a streaming service?

It won't be out here till December...

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Art.

The hype is too real.

I'm so glad I went in blind. It kept me not just interested but actually feeling things from beginning to end. What a fucking piece of art man. Easily the best film I've seen this year.

Slashkice

Oct 27, 2017
I got to see it last night, brilliant film. All the claims about having to go in blind I think were overstated, but it's the best film I've seen all year. The two hour runtime flew by for me.

Modest Mauser

Jan 12, 2018
Bong Joon-Ho truly is a master filmmaker, he communicates so clearly through every shot in this movie. I haven't been able to stop thinking about this since I saw it, what a fun ride.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
Is there heavy violence or gore? Would this be considered a horror film? I'm intrigued but I'm also a giant wuss