• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any other must see South Korean films that came out this year? I saw Burning and Parasite. Also saw another movie called Exit which was a pretty fun watch.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Fucking great film.

Is there heavy violence or gore? Would this be considered a horror film? I'm intrigued but I'm also a giant wuss

No. There's only a couple scenes of violence, and there's some blood, sure. But probably language is the cause of the rating. There aren't any jump scares, either.
The film does have some sequences that get VERY tense. But it's a good type.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I saw this last night with my girlfriend. She really hated it but it immediately shot up to my favorite of the year. So glad I took the drive to a far away theater to see it now instead of waiting for the Blu-ray.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any other must see South Korean films that came out this year? I saw Burning and Parasite. Also saw another movie called Exit which was a pretty fun watch.
Door Lock is supposed to be a really good thriller - it's a Korean remake of the Spanish film Sleep Tight - but I dont believe it's gotten an international release yet

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Can we talk about how Korean films
have an unrealistic idea of how much blunt force trauma the human head is capable of surviving? I've lost track of the number of Korean films where people seemingly survive multiple death blows to the head 😂

Also, I loved the movie but that ending was straight up stolen from
the 25th Hour.

Last edited:

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some interesting foreshadowing. Sorry if already mentioned.

When Mr. Kim and Mr. Park are talking about the previous housekeeper in the car, Mr. Park says that she eats enough for two people. When the surprise under the stairs is revealed, that quote has an entirely different meaning.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I hope with all the deserved buzz this is getting there will be some people who dig deeper into Bong Joon-ho's filmoghraphy and discover Mother, Memories of Murder and The Host. Just like Snowpiercer did a few years ago, I guess.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017

Just because a director isn't fond of his debut feature from almost 2 decades ago, doesn't mean we have to agree with him. It's a good film that has some biting social satire, is visually interesting and is at times incredibly funny.

Such a mean and cute little film! I have only seen it once so far but it's on my The Host Blu Ray so I might revisit it!

Oh man, wish i had it on Blu-ray with English subs, i only got the Korean DVD. I think it's a bonus feature on the German BD of one of his other films, is that where you got it? Sadly the Korean BD is OOP, not that i would have had any way to play it. :/

Last edited:

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Just because a director isn't fond of his debut feature from almost 2 decades ago, doesn't mean we have to agree with him. It's a good film that has some biting social satire, is visually interesting and is at times incredibly funny.

Oh man, wish i had it on Blu-ray with English subs, i only got the Korean DVD. I think it's a bonus feature on the German BD of one of his other films, is that where you got it? Sadly the Korean BD is OOP, not that i would have had any way to play it. :/
Yes, I have the German release of The Host! BDMB is an additional disc. I wasn't aware the film was some kind of rarity in the west outside of that version. :o

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
Checked out Barking Dogs after Parasite, and while the ending didn't quite stick the landing IMO, it was still a vicious pitch-black dramedy that pulled no punches

Glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to rewatch my DVD to see how i feel about the ending, it's been ages since i last saw it.

Yes, I have the German release of The Host! BDMB is an additional disc. I wasn't aware the film was some kind of rarity in the west outside of that version. :o

Yeah, that's the only version of BDNB on Blu-ray outside of South Korea, as far as i know. I speak German, but i never got that release because i usually only buy discs that have English subs in case i watch them with friends, but you bringing this up actually had me looking into getting it from Amazon.de just now. Turns out that release of The Host with BDNB as a bonus is OOP now as well. Maybe they'll release BDNB as a standalone eventually. :/

Physical releases going OOP in S. Korea is pretty common. Sadly it doesn't seem to be much of a market there, so they'll usually do a fancy looking version, then a barebones one and when the latter is sold out it's gone for good. At least that's the case for many films i'm a fan of. Maybe some of the biggest smash hits do get re-prints. It's also a shame that international distributors are slacking in picking up Korean movies. There was a time in the mid 2000s when they would bring over almost everything, whereas nowadays it's mostly the festival darlings and the odd genre movie. Although i think it has gotten slightly better in the last few years.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
Bong Joon-Ho

- specifically stated he shot no coverage because the entire film was storyboarded. And it shows, the camerawork and framing is so precise

That's par for the course for him, he's been storyboarding his movies at least since Memories of Murder. I got the Korean limited edition DVDs of MoM and The Host that come with full storyboards, they're pretty cool. Bong used to scribble a lot in his textbooks in school. I once saw a clip of him showing off a flipbook animation of the Death Star trench run from Star Wars that he did in high school or college, it was amazing! I wish i could still find it. :)

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so I just saw this and it's....a better Joker? Like its an amazing movie and does such a better job of conveying the same message that Joker was trying to.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
My initial impression as the credits rolled was that it was really a fantastic film but the hype might have set my expectations impossibly high.

Then I walked back to my car and suddenly began crying in the middle of the parking lot. I just felt engulfed by a feeling.

Now I have not been able to stop thinking about this film. Every single frame feels so meticulous and intentional.
Just thinking about the shot of the rock being lowered into the river is making my eyes well up. And the shot of the Ki-woo's feet briefly pausing at the top of the flooding stairway.

The film's symbolic use of verticality is pretty blunt, but it's used so effectively here. It makes total sense to hear that the film was entirely storyboarded.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Saw this on Friday night and loved it immensely.

On a related note, my wife had never seen Memories of Murder so we went to rent it on Saturday but it appears that Amazon no longer has the rights to it and we couldn't find it anywhere else.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Apple also took it down for rentals, so unless you have access to physical rentals or are ok with piracy no one will be able to enjoy it. Good thing Scarecrow Video is within walking distance of our house.
Some random free-with-ads service PopcornFlix is still streaming it. Seems like a legit service too, it's one of the providers that Justwatch aggregates

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it this past weekend and have to say I liked it quite a bit. One of the best of the year so far.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
New international poster:

parasite-film-poster-900x0-c-default.jpg

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it last week. Loved the film. My only complaint was the final minute at the coda where
the son magically goes from near death, court sentence, and living in poverty to having a big fancy job and being able to afford the house. Seemed like quite a jump just to tie up a couple loose ends.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it last week. Loved the film. My only complaint was the final minute at the coda where
the son magically goes from near death, court sentence, and living in poverty to having a big fancy job and being able to afford the house. Seemed like quite a jump just to tie up a couple loose ends.
I interpreted all of that as a wild fantasy, the camera cuts back to him at the same old apartment before slowly panning down, sorta felt like an implication that of course this would never happen.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
But...he doesn't. It's a fantasy. Supposed to be a gut punch circle back to reality. He's still in that basement, in a worse position than at the start of the film. Director said how he could have ended with the ambiguous coda, but felt the hopeless sinking feeling of that final shot was more powerful. The "shot to the head" as he called it, the definite closer. His father is never escaping that bunker, his son is never buying that house

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, that didn't happen. It was a dream he had as he wrote a letter to his father that he'd never be able to deliver. The last shot of the movie is an injection of harsh reality.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this the other day without seeing a single trailers of this movie. Was absolutely blown away. Best Movie of the year... or a decade?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I interpreted all of that as a wild fantasy, the camera cuts back to him at the same old apartment before slowly panning down, sorta felt like an implication that of course this would never happen.
But...he doesn't. It's a fantasy. Supposed to be a gut punch circle back to reality. He's still in that basement, in a worse position than at the start of the film. Director said how he could have ended with the ambiguous coda, but felt the hopeless sinking feeling of that final shot was more powerful. The "shot to the head" as he called it, the definite closer. His father is never escaping that bunker, his son is never buying that house
Yeah, that didn't happen. It was a dream he had as he wrote a letter to his father that he'd never be able to deliver. The last shot of the movie is an injection of harsh reality.

Thanks I suppose these make more sense.
I have a hard time distinguishing reality from dream scenes in films sometimes.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

That was just idealized fantasy of his plans, not something that really happened.

I'm inclined to say that this, so far is his absolutely magnum Opus. Went in with pretty low expectations after Okja and Snowpiercer kind of hurt what he'd done with his previous films, but this one's at least on the level of Mother and Memories of Murder.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Wow we have the same taste because lighthouse is my no2 as well
You on Letterboxd? Other top ten favorites of the year include The Nightingale, Tigers Are Not Afraid, Aniara, Read Or Not, First Love, John Wick 3, Crawl, Us

This has been such a stellar year for genre films. To be fair, every recent year has been a great year for genre films, but so many heavy hitters both pulpy and poignant in 2019