• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
We're finally getting this in Gainesville, Fl November 8th. I can't wait to see this.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Man I keep hearing how great Lighthouse is, can't wait to see it.
For what it's worth, I saw it on Friday night and was not a fan. I wouldn't say I actively disliked it, but I didn't enjoy it at all. Parasite is significantly better -- I can really only offer The Lighthouse praise on a technical level. I am not sure yet what my #2 for the year will be (behind Parasite), but I loved Knives Out.

Funny poster I just saw on Facebook. Can be purchased here: http://www.capnmikey.bigcartel.com/

75299808_2760130377365615_3623188416100827136_n.jpg

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Just caught up. Only been a couple hours but I like it more and more the longer I think about, which is quite the achievement for a film I walked out of thinking it was already flawless.

ZaddyBae

Sep 5, 2019
Amazing movie. I didn't think much of it while watching. But then i kept thinking more and more of the movie even til now - felt overwhelmed by so many feelings

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
overall I thought it was okay. But I feel reviewers/this OT title kinda overhyped the whole "GO INTO IT BLIND ITS BONKERS". I felt like the whole movie steadily escalated to a logical conclusion.

Don't get me wrong the twist with the
old house maid/basement
it was a twist for sure, but it was like...not like Get Out or like Sorry to Bother You, where learning the twist would absolutely spoil the ending.

I liked the Lighthouse more, even though I didn't absolutely love that one either and I think it's largely because people/the trailer itself overhyped the turn of this movie.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
😱😱😱

😱😱

Also,

My friend pointed out that comment from Mr. Park about the ex-house keeper's only fault being that she ate enough for two. Blew my mind

So I've been thinking about just how jaw dropping so many of the shots were. The last time I was so at awe was Children of Men (previously my favorite movie or one of my favorites...this movie I think takes it.) And I think of all the fucking shots my favorite is....
when the daughter is sitting on the toilet smoking a cigarette with shit exploding out of the toilet during the flood

What's everyone else's favorite shot if they had to pick one?

I think the top down tracking shot at the end as driver Kim is running away.

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got in a viewing last night and woah damn. That's instantly one of my favorite films of these past few years, up there with another masterpiece in Portrait of a Lady on Fire. Parasite was more entertaining overall, while Portrait was more emotionally affecting.

The plot reveal part of the movie definitely had a horror slant, with how the mother goes down to the basement and sees the old housemaid propped up on the wall like that. That was a Heredity bruh moment. And the descent into the bowels of the house was chilling, like what the fuck is down there.

Last edited:

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Really really liked it, didn't quite love it. Not my favorite of Joon Ho's, but I definitely liked it more than Snowpiercer and Okja. I feel like stuff around the ending sequences didn't quite make sense and seemed a little forced , but theres so many amazing scenes and beats that I still really liked it overall. Can't wait to see it again actually.

Why the hell are there buttons for lights in a hidden bunker? Like I get some type of thing and that morse code would be a thought, but the main entryway lights? Also the suddenness of the narrative of the dad being a cockroach and thinking about the smell and then Park in the heat of all the chaos is worried about holding his nose to grab his car keys. Just kind of took me out of it.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Even in a large city, they only had a single theater running for the whole week. But man was it worth the hassle. Definitely a contender for my film of the year.

And yeah, I feels like Us and Joker tackled similar themes (more in the former case), but Parasite did it so much better.

This movie just had a great knack for dramatic scenes. I was pretty much on the edge of my seat when the camera followed the housekeepers down the even deeper bunker. I also saw the ending similar to La La Land. There was no way he was going to be rich enough to get that house, especially in his condition.

I didn't even know about the lengths they went with the effects, good lord.

I've been on a Korean bingo with Burning and Train to Busan. I've been missing out. 9/10.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Absolutely loved it. So depressing and encapsulates modern class warfare, and how the rich cannot even be bothered to mask their disgust for those less fortunate than them when they don't need something from them directly.

"I'd be nice too if I was this rich. Nicer!"

Do a lot of Korean streets look alike or is that particular hill outside of the house the same exact one from Burning?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely loved it. So depressing and encapsulates modern class warfare, and how the rich cannot even be bothered to mask their disgust for those less fortunate than them when they don't need something from them directly.

Do a lot of Korean streets look alike or is that particular hill outside of the house the same exact one from Burning?

She then immediately exercises her position of power over the previous housekeeper as though they're not of the same social standing.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
She then immediately exercises her position of power over the previous housekeeper as though they're not of the same social standing.

It's thrown away even faster than that, as
either right before or after that she shoves the dog and it yipes :(

I guess then dogs are also parasites. They even made fun of the dog's fancy food while eating it themselves by accident in their drunken stupor.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get why everything about this movie is so hush hush. I liked it and I'm a big Bong Joon Ho fan but it was fairly conventional. I found Mother a lot more surprising in terms of where it ends up going. All the secrecy had me waiting for it to get absolutely nuts but it never did. That's less the movies fault though.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018
Really really liked it. Definitely one of my favorites of the year.

Only thing that sucked was an audience member who laughed too loud and too much.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I went in blind, my reaction was as follows;
*the first hour of the movie*

"Well, this is a nice, quirky movie."

*The old housekeeper shows up and reveals the hidden door*

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this last night and I was blown away. I don't see a ton of movies, but I think this is my GOAT. Definitely going to have to dig into the director's other works when I get the opportunity.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have you not watched foreign stuff before?
The theaters near me usually didn't get films outside of the mainstream, and when they did I could never convince people to come with me. I was only able to convince my fiancee to see this with me because I went with her to the Joker movie a few weeks ago. This theater was an hour away from where I live.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The theaters near me usually didn't get films outside of the mainstream, and when they did I could never convince people to come with me. I was only able to convince my fiancee to see this with me because I went with her to the Joker movie a few weeks ago. This theater was an hour away from where I live.
Yeah, but there's always streaming and whatnot.

If you're looking for more Korean movies to check out, this recent thread basically lists all the best genre and drama films

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Which house in Burning? The cow farm house in Paju or Steven Yeun's character's apartment in Seoul? In any case, I'm pretty sure it's not the same hill.

edit: or was Mount Nam in both movies? Could that be the hill you're talking about? There's a tower/antenna-looking thing on top of it. It's been a while since I've seen both movies.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Which house in Burning? The cow farm house in Paju or Steven Yeun's character's apartment in Seoul? In any case, I'm pretty sure it's not the same hill.

edit: or was Mount Nam in both movies? Could that be the hill you're talking about? There's a tower/antenna-looking thing on top of it. It's been a while since I've seen both movies.

It's a cobblestone-looking downhill street with a building with an inset entrance on the side in Seoul. I'm fairly sure that's where Yeun's character's car would emerge from a parking garage.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's a cobblestone-looking downhill street with a building with an inset entrance on the side in Seoul. I'm fairly sure that's where Yeun's character's car would emerge from a parking garage.

There are a lot of streets that look like that in Seoul. I'd be surprised if it were the same street in both movies. But I can't say for 100% sure, since I can't even remember if there's a view of Nam Mountain in the actual movie. :/

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Just got out from a screening where I saw Parasite, Oldboy and Lady Vengeance, one after the other

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, but yeah, I was expecting more from the hype generated around it. The script is flawless, the cinematography is superb, acting was excellent, but I dont think that it was very ambitious. Enjoyable story put together masterfully.

I've already seen the other two movies, but rewatching them on the big screen was awesome.

Oldboy is a masterpiece. I've watched it 5 times already, but rewatching it on the big screen went by like a breeze. Watching it on the cinema was a dream come true.

Lady Vengeance tho, drags too much on the last act. Like, man, it drags.
Great movie, but it could have been amazing if it had a better paced conclusion

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah uh
despite the character flaws of the rich family, the main 4 characters are very much the villains and the worst people there by a mile. All of the characters are self centered and abuse power at times but the disaster that unfolds is the direct result of the main 4 characters' greed[/spouler]

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else laugh their head off when
they show the flashback of what caused the kid's first seizure? That shot was amazing.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else laugh their head off when
they show the flashback of what caused the kid's first seizure? That shot was amazing.

Apparently it was a last minute decision! The original plan was to have the boy see a reflection of the 'ghost' in a window, but the eventual layout of the house didn't work for that. Then they realized the actor had these scary, piercing eyes and just rolled with it. It's such a good shot.

Yeah uh
despite the character flaws of the rich family, the main 4 characters are very much the villains and the worst people there by a mile. All of the characters are self centered and abuse power at times but the disaster that unfolds is the direct result of the main 4 characters' greed[/spouler]

I agree, though Bong obviously has such affection for all his characters that they somehow remain sympathetic despite all that, such that their eventual karmic retribution still hurts. They're lashing out at an unjust world, and destroying themselves and those around them in the process.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
So I actually did get a chance to see this in theaters and while it's no doubt an amazing movie I think the hype got me a bit too. I actually was more smitten by Handmaiden, which is a damn shame it didn't get this kind of attention.

Gonna see Parasite again soon

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
So I actually did get a chance to see this in theaters and while it's no doubt an amazing movie I think the hype got me a bit too. I actually was more smitten by Handmaiden, which is a damn shame it didn't get this kind of attention.

Gonna see Parasite again soon
That's exactly how I felt too

That movie deserved more. It was perfection from top to bottom

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
This movie was damn good. So glad I stayed awake till 2 in the morning to watch this.

I always enjoy the way family is portrayed in
Bong Joon-ho films. A unified unit all working towards improving their lives.

I'm afraid the message of this movie may be lost because the main family are monsters. But, maybe that's the point? The poor fight for the scraps from the rich, and the rich look down on them like they're bugs.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Im not sure if I wanted the rich husband to be more scummy than just being generally scummy so as to deserve getting the knife, but that might muddy the message of the movie.

Deleted member 11182

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really like this. It was fun at first but the abrupt change of tone halfway through didn't sit well with me.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen The Host, Memories of Murder, and Mother.

1) Parasite
2) Mother
3) Memories of Murder
4) The Host

I absolutely loved this movie. I did feel they could shave off some time but it's very deserving of the praise it's getting.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a significance to the housekeeper's crazy husband morse coding the light? I thought it was to interact with the little boy, but after jotting down stuff on a notepad, nothing ever materializes?