• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also randomly, but this also had one of the most natural
sex scenes I've ever seen in a movie in regards to how people actually iniciate sex rather than the over the top straight to the bed from one kiss Hollywood sex

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Went in blind as a bat. More funny than anything which I like. But the last act fell off a cliff.
7/10. Would rewatch

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Watched this after work last night and enjoyed it immensely. One of my favorites of the year for sure. Everything was so on-point with the acting, direction, writing, and cinematography. It's hard for me to find any real glaring flaws.

I knew it was a dark comedy about class going in and while it wears its themes on its sleeve, it's certainly far more interesting and nuanced than simply saying "rich/poor people suck". I'll be thinking about it for awhile.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
It really does. Especially post 2000. is there a reason why? Did Korea just get super into movies? I think it might be they use classical "western" film language where a place like Bollywood or Chinese cinema doesn't and feels more "tvish"

I mean, I don't know the why and I sure as hell wont complain about it either lol. I'm constantly amazed at the quality of their stuff. Still gotta watch The Strangers and The host, i don't think im ready for either :D

BimmyLee

Oct 30, 2017
Saw it last night in a packed theater. Loved it.
Totally thought the either the Parks and/or the friend in the beginning were up to something sinister. Did not see the twist coming and was happily on the edge of my seat when the mother was descending into the basement.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Went to see this earlier today with my mother after she brought up wanting to see something good and mentioning this. A little surprised since any time she's seen a SK film its been because I brought it up or made her hah. I'd stayed pretty clear of spoilers aside from the most basic idea that it was a film about a family and things get dark. I love the director's work so I was in and needless to say... wow that was a film that kept surprising me. I really thought I knew where things were going a few times and then that moment happens and I almost blurted out a,"What the fuck?". After that I was left riveted and was actually expecting to be let down when the movie kept going from where I thought it was going to end but the final moment really laid it out clear that this was a god damn masterpiece.

It was also really funny though out. There were was a great combination of dark humor, slapstick comedy and some rather great wit throughout. I didn't realize this was going to be a film like that but it was such a great mix of so many elements and I kept finding myself loving every twist and turn. Oh and we can we talk about how well it was shot from the slow motion piss versus water bottle fight or the use of Park's house through out. Not sure if this will end up being my favorite film of the year with The Irishman and a few others out there I've yet to see but god damn if Bong Joon Ho isn't one of the best directors out there, maybe the best.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting something darker due to all the hype and secrecy. It was good but my expectations somewhat soured the viewing experience.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this is in a near empty theater a couple of days ago. Loads of fun, very surprising, and very relevant to today. It's not perfect, and I don't think I'd enjoy it as much knowing the twists, but it's a great first time watch, like Get Out.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
One thing besides the obvious things like the cinematography is the writing. Almost every element that is introduced or depicted comes into play in the future even the really minute things. For example the entire "ghost" aspect involving the young son was so fucking clever that I didn't even realize how it all added up until that one scene near the very end. Except that was nearly every little detail and it just made for a movie where it felt like there was no wasted space or dead air.

Oct 29, 2017
We watched last week and this was just superb, I think this is my favorite of his movies.

Parasite > Okja > The Host > Snowpiercer

Okja and The Host are actually tied though. Gonna watch Mother and Memories of Murder after this semester on college ends.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Never realized there was an OT for this. This was easily the best movie I've watched this year.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
So I finally watched this movie last night, as I missed it in the theaters, and apparently it wont hit blu ray for a long while, but I found out that the movie was on VOD on the ps store for 14e. I was disapointed when I realised it was only the french dub, but in the end the dub was alright.

Now the movie. I have to say first that this is best and most useful OT title in the history of OT titles. I knew nothing about the film initially, and when I ended up missing it in theaters, I almost read up on ot, and didnt because of that advice.

THANK YOU SO MUCH OP.

Going in simply with the knowledge of "a young low class student from a poor family becomes personal english teacher for a rich girl" is a god damn blessing. I knew it would turn in a way, never in a 100 years could I have guessed how. I'm so glad I didnt read up on anything.
The pacing of this movie is on another level. The character interactions, the fucking camera work, the changing tones, everything makes so much sense and is so perfectly done, and is topped off by a god damn great AND RELEVANT story from start to end, which is so fucking surprsing and respect inspiring when you know how far this goes.

If I wasn't a Lynch junkie, this would easily be the best palme d or movie ever for me, but hey, getting to arms reach of Mulholland Drive is a feat no other palme d or movie has done IMO

Now to wait for the Bluray and finaly watch this in the original language so I can have an opinion on the dialogues (the fr dub is good quality wise, but takes a lot of liberties in the translation for sure, and maybe in the tone too? Would have to see the original version to be sure)

But yeah damn, best film I saw this year easily

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching it on Demand and man, that was wild!

Potential spoiler:
I like the way they implied "smell" as a synonymy of poverty. Gee, no wonders Dad stabs him because it was an "insult" word to poor people.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
So I finally watched this movie last night, as I missed it in the theaters, and apparently it wont hit blu ray for a long while, but I found out that the movie was on VOD on the ps store for 14e. I was disapointed when I realised it was only the french dub, but in the end the dub was alright.

Now the movie. I have to say first that this is best and most useful OT title in the history of OT titles. I knew nothing about the film initially, and when I ended up missing it in theaters, I almost read up on ot, and didnt because of that advice.

THANK YOU SO MUCH OP.

Going in simply with the knowledge of "a young low class student from a poor family becomes personal english teacher for a rich girl" is a god damn blessing. I knew it would turn in a way, never in a 100 years could I have guessed how. I'm so glad I didnt read up on anything.
The pacing of this movie is on another level. The character interactions, the fucking camera work, the changing tones, everything makes so much sense and is so perfectly done, and is topped off by a god damn great AND RELEVANT story from start to end, which is so fucking surprsing and respect inspiring when you know how far this goes.

If I wasn't a Lynch junkie, this would easily be the best palme d or movie ever for me, but hey, getting to arms reach of Mulholland Drive is a feat no other palme d or movie has done IMO

Now to wait for the Bluray and finaly watch this in the original language so I can have an opinion on the dialogues (the fr dub is good quality wise, but takes a lot of liberties in the translation for sure, and maybe in the tone too? Would have to see the original version to be sure)

But yeah damn, best film I saw this year easily
You're welcome! Glad it helped improve your viewing experience. By the way, here's a detailed behind-the-scenes of the French dub:

Edit:

I just bought the Blu-ray as a Christmas gift for my mother but

there's a quote on the back that says it's a great angst-inducing movie. My mother rarely watches movies and doesn't like being scared. If she ever reads that quote I'm afrai she'll flat-out refuse to watch it, even though I think she can stomach it.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful film, sort of falls apart by the end but brings it back together. One of the best films this year but not -the- best film this year.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
You're welcome! Glad it helped improve your viewing experience. By the way, here's a detailed behind-the-scenes of the French dub:

Edit:

I just bought the Blu-ray as a Christmas gift for my mother but

there's a quote on the back that says it's a great angst-inducing movie. My mother rarely watches movies and doesn't like being scared. If she ever reads that quote I'm afrai she'll flat-out refuse to watch it, even though I think she can stomach it.

Thanks for the video, gonna watch this for sure as the fr dub was funny and well made :)

Yeah the movie is really anger inducing, a lot of stuff pissed me off (in a good way of course), but I didn't find scary. The most scary part imo is the character revealed later in the film (sorry i dont know why the buttons dont work on my mobile right now so I can't spoiler tag), and even then that was more disturbing than scary

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it in LA at the Arclight over Thanksgiving weekend and I absolutely loved it. Easily the best movie of the year-everything about it was perfect. There were times when the tension was getting ratcheted up so high I almost couldn't stand it.....

A true masterpiece.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the video, gonna watch this for sure as the fr dub was funny and well made :)

Yeah the movie is really anger inducing, a lot of stuff pissed me off (in a good way of course), but I didn't find scary.
The most scary part imo is the character revealed later in the film (sorry i dont know why the buttons dont work on my mobile right now so I can't spoiler tag), and even then that was more disturbing than scary

I mean angst, not anger...?

20191205_154136zuk3w.jpg

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I mean angst, not anger...?

20191205_154136zuk3w.jpg
Haha lol I can't read sorry^^
I didnt really find the movie anst inducing but thats just me. I fount it more disturbing really, especialy the first half or so of the film where your mind races with different scenarios of what is actually happening, and all of them are quite disturbing because of all the hints and red herrings. Really well done.

Hey wait the blu ray is out already in France? Does it have original audio?

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Haha lol I can't read sorry^^
I didnt really find the movie anst inducing but thats just me. I fount it more disturbing really, especialy the first half or so of the film where your mind races with different scenarios of what is actually happening, and all of them are quite disturbing because of all the hints and red herrings. Really well done.

Hey wait the blu ray is out already in France? Does it have original audio?
The Blu-ray came out yesterday. Korean + French audio.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I think going in blind did this film a disservice for me. The first two acts created expectations for a third act that would be just as good, if not tonally consistent... and it was anything but. The epilogue is super charming but ultimately this felt like two films tenuously stitched together. It was too uneven for me, and the prevailing emotion I felt walking out of the theater was disappointment. Like Sorry to Bother You last year, the first two thirds of Parasite set up what I thought would be my personal pick for best picture... only to have all that potential squandered by a third act that completely botches the landing and cheapens the film as a whole.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it but I think going into the movie I was expecting more of a twist and play on who the real parasites were. Throughout the film we're given pretty blunt depictions of the poor family having to scurry like cockroaches and try to claw their way out of poverty. We see a clear depiction of their parasitic manipulative nature in order to survive. In contrast the rich family's depiction of parasitism is extremely subtle, and the message painted most bluntly about the class disparity wasn't the duality of parasitism between the classes, but rather showing the upperclass to be aloof and repulsed by the lower class (e.g. firing with no notice/reason, the flood, and the disgust over the poor family's smell) who must in-fight and feed off the upper class to survive. I'm not saying this depiction of class disparity was terrible, but just the film is depicting two different messages, and I think it lowers the quality of the titular theme.

Again, the film does depict the rich family as parasites as well, but I think it depicts them with a subtly that is not afforded to the poor family. The film never lingers on that depiction nor wants to spell it out in the way it does for the poor family. Things like the house being automated by the basement dweller, their house falling into disarray (piled dishes) when the housekeeper is fired, demanding the driver do something against his will and dignity at the son's birthday party because he's getting paid extra. These all constitute a type of parasitism, but it's never expounded upon in the same way as the poor family where the director cannot help but be on the nose about it. "IT'S SO METAPHORICAL"

edit: but also this was par for the course of what I expected from a south korean thriller, so going in blind didn't really do anything for my shock and awe because it's what I would have expected seeing a lot of work from Bong Joon-ho, Park Chan-wook, Jang Joon-hwan, and Kim Jee-woon. I'm glad Parasite was more in line with Mother because I haven't been the biggest fan of Bong Joon-ho since Mother.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I think going in blind did this film a disservice for me. The first two acts created expectations for a third act that would be just as good, if not tonally consistent... and it was anything but. The epilogue is super charming but ultimately this felt like two films tenuously stitched together. It was too uneven for me, and the prevailing emotion I felt walking out of the theater was disappointment. Like Sorry to Bother You last year, the first two thirds of Parasite set up what I thought would be my personal pick for best picture... only to have all that potential squandered by a third act that completely botches the landing and cheapens the film as a whole.

Now I want to know what you would have wanted the third act to be :)

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
After reading all the hype about this movie, it could never live up to it obviously. Saw it the other day: yes it's a nicely made movie but with very little subtlety. Ending was a letdown.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Now I want to know what you would have wanted the third act to be :)
I would've preferred the third act to retain the funny, light, low stakes of the brilliant first two acts. The poor family hiding in the house, perhaps getting themselves locked in the basement as well, or locking the wealthy family in the basement (sorry, blanking on all their names). Hell, even the wedding they propose where they have to pretend not to be family--there was potential for any number of I Love Lucy-esque shenanigans that could still highlight issues pertaining to classism in a meaningful, but fun way.

Instead, we go from a hilarious sitcom style mischief to the gym scene where you have a son grappling with a sense of failure and even painfully contemplating murder! The flood scene is touching, but in contrast to what came before, the suddenly unfunny and heavy handedly poignant tone of the rest of the film feels like melodrama. And then the third act further disappoints by leaning on the shock value of graphic violence. It just feels like a different film altogether and took me out of it.

What I did really love about the third act was the epilogue with the father being stuck in the basement and the son dreaming of being able to buy the house one day to reunite with him. It's a beautiful sequence that I wish we got to without the detour into heavy drama and violence. Were I writing the screenplay, the poor family getting caught in some ridiculous con (like a wedding) and being separated with some members being stuck in the basement would've been my starting point for the third act.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I would've preferred the third act to retain the funny, light, low stakes of the brilliant first two acts. The poor family hiding in the house, perhaps getting themselves locked in the basement as well, or locking the wealthy family in the basement (sorry, blanking on all their names). Hell, even the wedding they propose where they have to pretend not to be family--there was potential for any number of I Love Lucy-esque shenanigans that could still highlight issues pertaining to classism in a meaningful, but fun way.

Instead, we go from a hilarious sitcom style mischief to the gym scene where you have a son grappling with a sense of failure and even painfully contemplating murder! The flood scene is touching, but in contrast to what came before, the suddenly unfunny and heavy handedly poignant tone of the rest of the film feels like melodrama. And then the third act further disappoints by leaning on the shock value of graphic violence. It just feels like a different film altogether and took me out of it.

What I did really love about the third act was the epilogue with the father being stuck in the basement and the son dreaming of being able to buy the house one day to reunite with him. It's a beautiful sequence that I wish we got to without the detour into heavy drama and violence. Were I writing the screenplay, the poor family getting caught in some ridiculous con (like a wedding) and being separated with some members being stuck in the basement would've been my starting point for the third act.
Fair point and very detailed explanation, I actually would have liked your third act, but I also really enjoyed
the radical change of tone. Don't get me wrong, the funny aspect of the first half I really loved too, especially since the FR dub made it even more funny for me with the tone, language and expressions used by the VAs. But at the same time the first half put a lot of small hints and stuff to make your mind wonder what is actually happening, and all is made to make you think something fishy is going on, so I really liked that they embraced that and completely changed the tone for the second half. Plus the underground husband is so great lol I'm glad it was in, loved that story and the actor made a great job.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I dont get people who say the last section was out of place or incongruous with what came before. To me it all fit together like a well oiled machine and every little bit of the film, even seemingly off handed comments were of importance, and was all building to that final act. It all tied together incredibly well in a way few films ever achieve if you ask me.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I dont get people who say the last section was out of place or incongruous with what came before. To me it all fit together like a well oiled machine and every little bit of the film, even seemingly off handed comments were of importance, and was all building to that final act. It all tied together incredibly well in a way few films ever achieve if you ask me.
The story was already about the family inserting themselves in the Park's life at the cost of others, so the development of putting them in a position of privilege (which they then proceed to abuse and attempt to brutally maintain) by revealing another layer of "parasites", fit the off-kilter drama of the first half, just becoming more twisted and raising the stakes

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The story was already about the family inserting themselves in the Park's life at the cost of others, so the development of putting them in a position of privilege (which they then proceed to abuse and attempt to brutally maintain) by revealing another layer of "parasites", fit the off-kilter drama of the first half, just becoming more twisted and raising the stakes
I thought it was more of a call to horizontal violence.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Fair point and very detailed explanation, I actually would have liked your third act, but I also really enjoyed
the radical change of tone. Don't get me wrong, the funny aspect of the first half I really loved too, especially since the FR dub made it even more funny for me with the tone, language and expressions used by the VAs. But at the same time the first half put a lot of small hints and stuff to make your mind wonder what is actually happening, and all is made to make you think something fishy is going on, so I really liked that they embraced that and completely changed the tone for the second half. Plus the underground husband is so great lol I'm glad it was in, loved that story and the actor made a great job.
I liked him too... I almost wish the poor family kept him and the former nanny locked in there for a while. Would've given them one more thing to worry spoiling their con that would've had a lot of comedic potential.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I liked him too... I almost wish the poor family kept him and the former nanny locked in there for a while. Would've given them one more thing to worry spoiling their con that would've had a lot of comedic potential.
Agreed, especially since the few interactions the poor family has with the couple once the husband is discovered are great

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Saw it in my local art house cinema during the weekend. I absolutely loved it. I went in mostly blind, kind of expecting the movie to take a horror turn, but what I got instead was so fucking great. The film is such a looker too. So many drop dead gorgeous shots throughout the movie.

I now really want to watch Memories of a Murder (which I may have watched 15 years ago), Mother and The Host, but I can't seem to find any place the stream them legally in The Netherlands. Does anyone have any tips for this?

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Saw it in my local art house cinema during the weekend. I absolutely loved it. I went in mostly blind, kind of expecting the movie to take a horror turn, but what I got instead was so fucking great. The film is such a looker too. So many drop dead gorgeous shots throughout the movie.

I now really want to watch Memories of a Murder (which I may have watched 15 years ago), Mother and The Host, but I can't seem to find any place the stream them legally in The Netherlands. Does anyone have any tips for this?
Do it! Just buy it on DVD

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
Another good and beautiful but overhyped Bong Joon-Ho movie.

Parasite does one of my least fav. things in filmmaking. Establishing people as really smart only to have them make insanely dumb decisions later in the movie. They do at least three things no rational (or even drunk) person would do.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Another good and beautiful but overhyped Bong Joon-Ho movie.

Parasite does one of my least fav. things in filmmaking. Establishing people as really smart only to have them make insanely dumb decisions later in the movie. They do at least three things no rational (or even drunk) person would do.

Can't really agree as the events of the later parts of the film are not because of intelligence or a sudden lack thereof in the characters. It was things like hubris, greed, jealousy, pride and the like that caused their downfall and I feel like the film highlights these negative traits from very early on and doesn't let up even if you don't know quite how things will fall. For example what does the son start doing after he gets the tutoring gig? Immediately starts a relationship with an underaged girl. The daughter? She sets up an elaborate set up where she's not just an art teacher but an art therapist. And so on and so forth.

Are they smart? I won't say they're not as we see that daughter is quite skilled with photo editing and the son is obviously good enough at English to pass as a proper tutor but they have so many very human foibles and issues that drag them down and were dragging them down before the film even started as implied many times through out.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
Can't really agree as the events of the later parts of the film are not because of intelligence or a sudden lack thereof in the characters. It was things like hubris, greed, jealousy, pride and the like that caused their downfall and I feel like the film highlights these negative traits from very early on and doesn't let up even if you don't know quite how things will fall.

I acknowledge the film was going for hubris, greed etc but the family scheme was too perfect not to set them up as really smart.
I'm also fine with smart people making mistakes, that's life, but the mistakes are so big and in so short amount of time it really took me out of the movie.

The former housekeeper should've broken in with a spare key or in some way the family didn't know about like the bunker. She had enough motivation to do that and had already cut the video camera feed.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I acknowledge the film was going for hubris, greed etc but the family scheme was too perfect not to set them up as really smart.
I'm also fine with smart people making mistakes, that's life, but the mistakes are so big and in so short amount of time it really took me out of the movie.

The former housekeeper should've broken in with a spare key or in some way the family didn't know about like the bunker. She had enough motivation to do that and had already cut the video camera feed.

I mean, it was clear she was rushed out of the house without any time to consider her next steps. And the bunker doesn't lead anywhere.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

The scheme wasn't perfect at all if you ask me consider the family seemingly had numerous personal issues and hang ups that were going to come back to bite them in the ass hard. Every time a family member was added into the mix the scheme got more and more convoluted and the situation all the more precarious and that was without taking into consideration stuff like the son sleeping with the underaged daughter which by itself was going to lead to serious problems. The scheme was never gonna work out because the family was too troubled to ever pull it off in the long run.