• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
Only thing I thought really dumb was the home owner was loaded and they have like one camera. None inside or anything like that. Seems totally illogical.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was quite good, but I was also thinking how the inevitable Hollywood remake will change every detail to make it more Murican.

So apparently HBO won a bidding war over Netflix for the Parasite TV show XP by mckay and bjh

Creative details are in the early stages, but Bong and McKay would adapt the movie for an English-language limited series.
original.gif

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Why did
Mr. Kim run away to hide after stabbing Mr. Park? I understood his motivation for stabbing him, but not why he would abandon his bleeding, dying daughter after the fact, not to mention his wife and son.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Finally saw it, it was ok. Good movie to lose time, but I was expecting more based on the hype.

Still I enjoyed it, the name makes perfect sense too after watching it.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure this has been discussed to death in the other thread but "Be more open to foreign films" doesn't mean "I won't ever make a English film". The man made Snowpiercer

Exactly. I agree 100 percent. Like you said, he's already made English-language works. And his Golden Globes acceptance speech about "hopping over" the tiny obstacle of subtitles was more of a gentle suggestion rather than a judgmental mandate. Stuff got lost then erroneously added in translation.

Also, for a big chunk of this past decade, Bong Joon Ho was blacklisted from receiving Korean government funding for the arts because he was seen as "hostile" to then-president Park Geun Hye. (She was all kinds of fucked up and was eventually impeached, removed, and is currently sitting in a jail cell for bribery, corruption, etc.) it wasn't just Bong who suffered, thousands of Korean artists were denied work because of their perceived political leanings. And it wasn't just denial of government grants. Private media companies were pressured to not hire these blacklisted artists even for privately-funded projects.

During this period was when Bong found work in English-language film productions. They literally fed him when the previous Korean presidential administration was trying to starve him out.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I enjoyed this movie. It's a well-made movie. It's not a 'don't read anything and go in blind' hype kind of movie though. I was waiting for the hammer to drop with that hype and sure you get some small hammer-like drops but I assumed with all the hype that this was another Oldboy or something. It was not. It was a good movie though.

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
Finally saw this, really enjoyed it. I'm halfway through the thread (I like reading you guys responses), and one thing I haven't seen mentioned is the relationship between the
flood and "trickle-down" economics
. I can't quite put my finger on it but I feel like it's there.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty sure this has been discussed to death in the other thread but "Be more open to foreign films" doesn't mean "I won't ever make a English film". The man made Snowpiercer

And Okja. The Host opens with an American character speaking English as well.

People are losing their minds over this HBO announcement and I don't really understand.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally saw this, really enjoyed it. I'm halfway through the thread (I like reading you guys responses), and one thing I haven't seen mentioned is the relationship between the
flood and "trickle-down" economics
. I can't quite put my finger on it but I feel like it's there.
It's the real trickle down. The passage of responsibilty from wealthy to poor. It juxtapositions the manipulations of the poor family against the tide of social and economical oppression as inevitable.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Only thing I thought really dumb was the home owner was loaded and they have like one camera. None inside or anything like that. Seems totally illogical.

the rich mother doesn't seems to be 'in the know' at all while the rich dad, while caring for his family, doesn't seems to be really 'hands on' on the household affairs at all. Prior to the Kim's intervention, the house is mostly being taken care of by the housemaid and i think it's obvious why the housemaid doesn't want too many cameras in the house.

Jul 4, 2018
They will change things.
The family characters are obviously not going to be a English and Art tutors.
It will be like Instagram and Fortnite coaches.
Bong is still involved so I really hope he has enough sway in this adaptation for that not or be the case. Also hope it's not a direct adaptation and is more of a theme based adaptation maybe more harshly going after Silicon Valley or Amazon.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is the type of film you could build entire courses around. The visual storytelling is so rich, and the editing has just the perfect rhythm that you don't even notice the tonal shifts in time.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Went in blind and thought it was ok. Lots of great themes and storytelling was excellent, but that last half of the movie was just way too unrealistic for me. Overall it was good, nothing earth shattering.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of the theaters I frequent was showing it again so I went. What a ride.

The dad whole speech about the only failproof plan being no plan at all fucked me up. The entire movie was fantastic but that specific part fucked me up because that hit real close to home for me.

JS3DX

Feb 15, 2018
It's weird: I liked the movie, but no as much as I wanted to like it. Maybe it's because I saw Nerdwriter1's essay before actually watching the thing, but I felt some elements were missing for to be a really great film:

The cinematography was there, but the common themes (social disparity, resentment, etc) felt too subtle for the ending felt "correct" to me. I really would have liked a deeper view of these themes in the third act (maybe with a more priviledged rich family with harsher opinions?) but even without them, it was very enjoyable.

Also randomly, but this also had one of the most natural
sex scenes I've ever seen in a movie in regards to how people actually iniciate sex rather than the over the top straight to the bed from one kiss Hollywood sex

The whole scene was like 2 inches shy of being actual pr0n!

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
don't know if its thread worthy, but this is available on iTunes/amazon digital now. so if you weren't able to watch, please watch!

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
don't know if its thread worthy, but this is available on iTunes/amazon digital now. so if you weren't able to watch, please watch!

Yeah I just checked - will be buying for sure. It's a shame though that the only extras are the Trailer and a Q&A with the Director. I wanted to see some behind the scenes videos of the sets etc.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When one buys a Blu Ray and it has a digital code, where does the digital code get redeemed? Can I download the movie? Will it be on iTunes? Or would I always have to stream it from some website?

Jul 4, 2018
Also all this talk of it releasing made me remember that the 4K blu-ray has been out a while in France (unfortunately no English subtitles) but if you can understand Korean or read French you get a physical copy that way.

Also is the US digital version only in 4K no HDR as that's what it is listed as on iTunes here?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
When one buys a Blu Ray and it has a digital code, where does the digital code get redeemed? Can I download the movie? Will it be on iTunes? Or would I always have to stream it from some website?
When you enter the code, it will give you the option to redeem on one of a number of different services. If it's a "movie anywhere" title, redeeming it on one service carries it over to other supported services too. So you could redeem on Google play and get it on iTunes, vudu, fandango, and Amazon.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
Wow, what a movie. There's a decent amount of subtlety to the subtext but it doesn't get in the way of the film's pacing or events.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Just watched it, holy hell what a film. So this isn't considered part of the Vengeance series?

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Finally saw it, it was ok. Good movie to lose time, but I was expecting more based on the hype.

Still I enjoyed it, the name makes perfect sense too after watching it.

Yeah, the hype got me too. Good movie, but I got too hyped expecting some crazy twist or redirection due to all the "DON'T READ ANYTHING ABOUT IT" warnings, which left me a bit letdown.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
This movie isn't gory or has horror elements, right? Might watch soon if the response is no.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I feel people take the wrong thing from "GO IN WITHOUT SEEING ANYTHING!". It means that you shouldn't read reviews that could spoil certain aspects that are better left unsaid before taking in the film but won't ruin it either. Its just a film that is a bit more rewarding going in without much prior knowledge. Not that you should expect some crazy insane twist or think up something far more than was ever intended. I think people do this stuff to themselves way too much.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I feel people take the wrong thing from "GO IN WITHOUT SEEING ANYTHING!". It means that you shouldn't read reviews that could spoil certain aspects that are better left unsaid before taking in the film but won't ruin it either. Its just a film that is a bit more rewarding going in without much prior knowledge. Not that you should expect some crazy insane twist or think up something far more than was ever intended. I think people do this stuff to themselves way too much.

Yeah I can see how people can hype themselves up too much wit hthat advice.

Like, I think the tone of the movie was the biggest surpise for me, an extremely pleasant surprise. Had I known anything from the first half I am sure I would have enjoyed it as much, but seing it all unfold was such a treat.