• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Watched it yesterday and have to say from start to finish really enjoyed it, good script, excellent acting and lovely visuals

Reminded me of Us for the themes it explores but from a different cultural point, given its from South Korea and not USA

Definetly my favorite from the director

This is what I said too. It felt like US but done way better.

Oct 25, 2017
Need clarification on
the body count and where the survivors ended up. For both families and of course the housekeeper and her husband. At what point were the latter couple supposed to be enjoying the house? When the architect was away?

I liked it but don't know if I would want to watch it again in a hurry.

And another thing

what was the go with the flood? Was it due to the window being open? Not sure I bought that. The toilet too. I was able to forgive the movie what it was trying to get across though.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Need clarification on
the body count and where the survivors ended up. For both families and of course the housekeeper and her husband. At what point were the latter couple supposed to be enjoying the house? When the architect was away?

And another thing

what was the go with the flood? Was it due to the window being open? Not sure I bought that. The toilet too. I was able to forgive the movie what it was trying to get across though.
Rich Family:
- Husband, dead, by the hands of the poor family's husband.
- Wife, alive, we don't know where.
- Son, most likely dead, because he started having a seizure and the only one that could take him was the husband.
- Daughter, alive, we don't know where.
Poor family:
- Husband, alive, in the basement.
- Wife, alive, living in their old house.
- Son, alive, living in their old house.
- Daughter, dead, killed by the housekeeper's husband.

- Housekeeper, dead, by a combination of peach and mostly the head injury made by the poor family's wife.
- Housekeeper's husband, dead, impaled with a sword by poor family's wife.

Also, it makes sense for the house to get flooded, considering above ground houses were also flooded. But yeah, the amount of shit the toilet spewed was too much lol

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Went in blind (even closed my eyes during a trailer that was on the week before I was due to see it!)... and really enjoyed it.

I'm here, later, to thank you!

Oct 26, 2017
Need clarification on

And another thing

I think the flood is simply because they live so far down. They show all the stairs they have to travel down to get home, so naturally, all the water winds up down there too. Even though they left the window open, I think the rain would have done the same damage.

I loved the subsequent scene of the wife in the vehicle talking about how beautiful it was outside after the rain had washed the town, and how blue the sky was, just showing how blind the rich were to the plight of the poor, and tbe people who lost their homes. That gym was full of families and yet no one (the rich) had even a clue.

I only have one nitpick about the film's ending:
The Rock after the incident. How did the Son get it back? I would imagine it was evidence and thus part of the investigation.

Anyways, I can't stop thinking about it. I'm reading the script and already found some interesting details that I missed at first.
Two things, and I don't know if either are right. When he put the rock back in the river, was that part of his dream seqeuence of buying the house and freeing dad? If not, maybe he simply got the rock back since it was only used to bash his own head in and no one died from it. He woke up like, "hey. Where's my wallet, my shoes, and my rock?"

Last edited:

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Need clarification on

And another thing

When they sneak out of the house and it's raining heavily, there's a shot of the water flowing into a drain - cause, obviously, there's a good drainage system in that part of the city. They then go down many stairs to get to their own home and finally get to where the water from all those drains flows out to... the poor section of the city.

It wouldn't have mattered if they had closed their window or not. It was gonna flood either way.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the flood scene is so much better in Black and white. Really elevated the movie imo

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
At least say whether its a horror or jump scare shit? I don't do that nonsense. But I liked snowpiercer.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people are so worried that it might be a horror movie. Is it the name?

Ronabo

Oct 26, 2017
OHIO
Just watched it. Was very good. Didn't know anything about it was just old to watch it.

US remake will happen in 2 years of course.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
In the wake of Parasite's momentous Eddie Award win for Best Edited Feature Film in the Dramatic category last night, I'll share this vid from Nerdwriter1 that encapsulates the majesty of one of the film's most noteworthy montages...

Hopefully it can ride this momentum to nab the Editing prize from perceived front-runner, Ford v Ferrari, on Oscar night.

This is a bloody good video thanks for sharing explains some of the themes more clearly, really liked the movie.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It finally came out here in Peru yesterday and I went to watch it with some friends. We all enjoyed it a lot. Personally I went in blind and it was great discovering the reason for the title little by little, I'm really glad I went in knowing absolutely nothing. What a ride this film was!

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

"I've seen Parasite four times now"

giphy.gif

Knew he'd love it, love how unapologetically jealous he was of Mayo getting to interview Bong as well.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched it the other night. It's, frankly, brilliant. It should win Best Picture.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i enjoyed it but i can't understand why it's so popular. i'm not hating on it...it's a great film but not sure it deserves the amount of praise it's getting. maybe i'm just missing something so i'm willing to give it a couple more watches.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I need to know one thing in order to decide whether to see it: is it a horror movie?

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my fucking god, this movie. THIS MOVIE. I'm almost shaking right now.

One of the, if the not the, most blissful film experiences I've ever had. I'm so glad I went in completely blind.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Watched it with friends a week ago. Tremendous, pointed but without being too blunt about it
(except the part with the flood after they introduced the question of smell).

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i havent watched all oscar movies yet, but so far this movie to me is much better than the other movies (that i watched) for best movie.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Entertaining movie, tense at the right moments. But it's just a movie, I don't see the fuss. I didn't find it all that shocking or the point being all that profound. That said I could see it winning best picture next year just cause of the attention it's getting.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Just saw it and enjoyed it. However, I'm not sure why the whole "don't spoil anything!" really plays into it - pretty formulaic to a certain extent?

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoyed it.

Also went in blind, and loved that. Not sure how much that was just the experience in itself (seeing a big release in the cinema without having seen a trailer for the first time in a long time), rather than specific to the film. I don't think enjoyment would be hampered much by seeing a trailer for example - but still, probably made an amazing film even more enjoyable.

I went to a 2pm showing here in London and every single seat was full, best cinema experience I have had in a long time with a really good crowd.

Fully delivers on so many fronts.

Oct 28, 2017
Got a group of friends together last night to watch this. I went in knowing only that it was a Korean film named Parasite. What an incredible movie, wow.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got to watch this last night. What an amazingly detailed and thought provoking film. There are just so many layers to this movie, and it really appealed to the film geek in me. I hope it wins all the Oscars.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed it.

Also went in blind, and loved that. Not sure how much that was just the experience in itself (seeing a big release in the cinema without having seen a trailer for the first time in a long time), rather than specific to the film. I don't think enjoyment would be hampered much by seeing a trailer for example - but still, probably made an amazing film even more enjoyable.

I went to a 2pm showing here in London and every single seat was full, best cinema experience I have had in a long time with a really good crowd.

Fully delivers on so many fronts.

Funnily enough the trailer seems to make a lot of people think it's some kind of horror movie or thriller.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
How so? There are no films I can think of off the top of my head that have a similar structure, theme and genre; closest one I can is probably High and Low and that is quite different. Can you give some examples of other films like this?

I'm not going to agree that I felt it was formulaic, but I do think that structurally it reminded me a bit of some episodes of Inside No. 9, and I think a version of Parasite would not be out of place as part of the series.

While it's not that close, I do think the episode Tom and Gerri strikes a number of the same beats.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the film constantly surprised me I actually felt it was pretty effective in not going down the expected roads a lot of similar films might have.

Jul 4, 2018
I'm not going to agree that I felt it was formulaic, but I do think that structurally it reminded me a bit of some episodes of Inside No. 9, and I think a version of Parasite would not be out of place as part of the series.

While it's not that close, I do think the episode Tom and Gerri strikes a number of the same beats.
Awesome, will have to check that out. Admittedly I don't watch nearly as much TV as I do film, but even so had never heard of this show from anyone. Seems like the episode you mentioned is listed in the first season so might just watch in release order.