• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
It's getting a very, very limited release.

deadline.com

Neon Sets U.S. Release Date For Black & White Version Of ‘Parasite’

Neon Sets U.S. Release Date For Bong Joon-Ho's Black And White Version Of 'Parasite'

Bong said he is / has changed every single frame into Black And White he didn't just slap a black and white filter on it and released it

He literally went frame by frame and changed it to specific gradients of black and white

Dude is a mad man and I love it!

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
it's showing at least a few other places. The AFI Silver in Silver Spring, MD has it.
Hmm OK. I'll have to poke around a little. Thbaks!

Bong said he is / has changed every single frame into Black And White he didn't just slap a black and white filter on it and released it

He literally went frame by frame and changed it to specific gradients of black and white

Dude is a mad man and I love it!
What's the difference between him doing it manually, vs just turning your TV to black and white?

I imagine there will be a new release of the BluRay including the B&W cut sometime in the near future.
Hopefully, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
On Wednesday I saw The Lighthouse and gave it my first 10/10 in four years, then on Friday I saw this and gave it 10/10 also. Truly a week blessed by the movie gods.

any news on a 4K release?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
On Wednesday I saw The Lighthouse and gave it my first 10/10 in four years, then on Friday I saw this and gave it 10/10 also. Truly a week blessed by the movie gods.

any news on a 4K release?
4k digital in the states. 4k physical in Germany and France only. The French release has dolby atmos audio too.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the difference between him doing it manually, vs just turning your TV to black and white?

Turning your TV to black and white will give you, for the most part, a pretty grey image. A proper black and white conversion will adjust brightness and contrast per shot for appropriate impact.

Black and white is far more nuanced than people give it credit for.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Family member got one of those "Oscar packs" of movie tickets leading up to the awards tonight. We went and saw Parasite on Thursday and were both blown away. This was so good and just has you on the edge of your seat towards the back half of the movie. The only other movie from Bong that I had seen was Snowpiercer (excellent) but Parasite was so good that I went and tracked down some of his other stuff this weekend - the Host and Okja.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Saw it yesterday for a third time (black and white version) and it remains as absolutely stunning as the first time. I actually high recommend rewatching it since you catch so many little things. Just an absolute masterpiece of a film.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Family member got one of those "Oscar packs" of movie tickets leading up to the awards tonight. We went and saw Parasite on Thursday and were both blown away. This was so good and just has you on the edge of your seat towards the back half of the movie. The only other movie from Bong that I had seen was Snowpiercer (excellent) but Parasite was so good that I went and tracked down some of his other stuff this weekend - the Host and Okja.

I'd also suggest Mother. Personally I think its his best film though all his films are worth watching but the opening scene of Mother is something magical, and of course the rest of the film is great.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw it yesterday for a third time (black and white version) and it remains as absolutely stunning as the first time. I actually high recommend rewatching it since you catch so many little things. Just an absolute masterpiece of a film.
The back half of the film has some scenes I'm really curious to see in B&W, should that cut ever see a home release.

Mainly:
The sub-basement bunker reveal, Da-song's backyard camping scene in its entirety, and the flood.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Loved the first half of the film.

Can't say the same about the second, totally ruined the film for me.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Snowpiercer and Okja are probably his weakest well-known movies IMO.

Of the ones I've seen, this is how I'd rank them:
1) Parasite
2) Memories of Murder
3) Mother
4) The Host
5) Okja
6) Snowpiercer

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
Loved the first half of the film.

Can't say the same about the second, totally ruined the film for me.
I have to agree with this. I thought the first 2/3rds of the film was fantastic, but then suddenly the story took a tumble down the stairs and went all over the place, without closing off the characters arch's with any real satisfaction, especially the rich family/kids who don't even get a mention by the end of it really.
I get the themes they were going for in terms of the poor Vs rich, but I don't think the latter part of the film stands up to the rest of it, and certainly not to garner the crazy type of hype it's been getting, unfortunately.

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
I feel dumb because I didn't really "get" the movie. Like it totally had some sort of theme, I just somehow missed what it was. The main characters are a "parasite" that slowly creep into and take over the rich family. But then when you are expecting it to switch and show the rich people are the real parasites it doesn't at all but introduces another family of parasites. And instead of the two groups working together they fight which results in death and mayhem. So is the message, stay away from poor people and properly vet them otherwise they will murder you just because you think they smell? The rich people didn't cause the flooding - and it's hard to believe with how long the scam had been going on for that they had no money or savings to replace what they lost. So why then are they trying to make us feel bad for the main characters dad who is a murderer? I didn't get it at all.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I feel dumb because I didn't really "get" the movie. Like it totally had some sort of theme, I just somehow missed what it was. The main characters are a "parasite" that slowly creep into and take over the rich family. But then when you are expecting it to switch and show the rich people are the real parasites it doesn't at all but introduces another family of parasites. And instead of the two groups working together they fight which results in death and mayhem. So is the message, stay away from poor people and properly vet them otherwise they will murder you just because you think they smell? The rich people didn't cause the flooding - and it's hard to believe with how long the scam had been going on for that they had no money or savings to replace what they lost. So why then are they trying to make us feel bad for the main characters dad who is a murderer? I didn't get it at all.

This is a good video!

Your own interpretation is equally as valid, though!

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I have to agree with this. I thought the first 2/3rds of the film was fantastic, but then suddenly the story took a tumble down the stairs and went all over the place, without closing off the characters arch's with any real satisfaction, especially the rich family/kids who don't even get a mention by the end of it really.
I get the themes they were going for in terms of the poor Vs rich, but I don't think the latter part of the film stands up to the rest of it, and certainly not to garner the crazy type of hype it's been getting, unfortunately.

The director has gone on the record stating that the real parasite of the film isn't the poor family or even the one hiding in the bunker but the notion of hope and the foolish actions it can lead to in trying to achieve some impossible to reach dream. I don't think giving them satisfactory endings that neatly tied up their character arcs would have benefited this film like just imagine if the kids dream was actually real, that ending would have been a terrible let down.

JS3DX

Feb 15, 2018
Here's another (good!) video examining Parasite's cinematography and symbolism:

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
This is a good video!

Your own interpretation is equally as valid, though!

That was a good video. I thought there were some parts they were spot on with but I still 100% think the "Rich people are the real parasites" is unsupported by the film.The more I think about it I think the fact that the "parasite" kills the "host" might be part of the message - warning the privileged that eventually the poor will eat us. But the idea that the people that were giving them jobs and that they were bending over backwards to be part of are parasites has no real basis IMO. But I do agree that the poor people fighting amongst themselves was a purposeful choice with the semi-basement vs basement living being something I understood, but the video helped me to see that better in terms of the other themes of the film.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I adore Mother. That, Memories of Murder, and Parasite are his three masterpieces.

How could you exclude Snowpiercer, though!

Honestly, his entire filmography is just varying degrees of great. I think Barking Dogs is his weakest film, and even that is excellent.

Also Okja is on Netflix for those interested in checking out more of his work after seeing Parasite.

Edit: Also, Every Frame A Painting has a number of videos exclusively about or heavily featuring his films and I can't recommend those analyses enough.

As you go through his films, see if you can keep count of how many times people dropkick somebody or something, particularly rear view mirrors.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How could you exclude Snowpiercer, though!

Honestly, his entire filmography is just varying degrees of great. I think Barking Dogs is his weakest film, and even that is excellent.

Also Okja is on Netflix for those interested in checking out more of his work after seeing Parasite.

Edit: Also, Every Frame A Painting has a number of videos exclusively about or heavily featuring his films and I can't recommend those analyses enough.

As you go through his films, see if you can keep count of how many times people dropkick somebody or something, particularly rear view mirrors.

Snowpiercer is my least favorite of his films (haven't seen Barking Dogs), but I think that mostly speaks to how great his filmography is.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Snowpiercer is very uneven with some bizarre tonal shifts but its still a really entertaining movie.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Snowpiercer is very uneven with some bizarre tonal shifts but its still a really entertaining movie.

Agreed. The whole sequence with Alison Pill is perfection. I think, unlike most of his work, he struggles at time to modulate the tone of the thing, but when it hits it really hits.

Of his English movies, I prefer Okja.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
By the way the directors favorite film is a Japanese thriller called cure from 1997 it's a bit hard to find but someone uploaded it to YouTube and criterion is streaming at this month I believe on their weird channel thing

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I just saw this film recently. I was not let down by the hype. It was brilliant.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Holy shit!!! 4 Oscars including Best Picture!!! Very well deserved, best movie I've seen in a long long time.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4 down
tenor.gif

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
evangelized this film as much as i could to my friends/fam, so glad to see it have all this success. and now best fucking picture.

opening eyes and doorways to good/deserving international film