• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity - because this is a subject that interests me- what specific marketing makes you think it's a "horror movie"? Here's the trailer for the film:

It seems intense and suspenseful for sure. But what about it seems like a "horror"? Do people get that from the title? Do they think there's a monster that's a literal parasite?

My mom also assumed it was a horror movie, I had to assure her it was not lol. There must be something about the name and the way the trailers are edited.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
I thought Snowpiercer was terrible, lol. Definitely have to try and see if I can find Mother somewhere, though.

Yeah I wasn't really into Snowpiercer either. Some cool ideas and great shots but it really fell flat for me, and I didn't like Okja really at all. I did like The Host but it's been a long time since I've seen it. I will check out Mother and Memories of Murder stat. Parasite to me is by far his best movie out of the ones I've seen

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Out of curiosity - because this is a subject that interests me- what specific marketing makes you think it's a "horror movie"? Here's the trailer for the film:

It seems intense and suspenseful for sure. But what about it seems like a "horror"? Do people get that from the title? Do they think there's a monster that's a literal parasite?

On the advice of Era I never watched a trailer so I only had the thumbnail to go on and yeah the title of the movie tends towards the feeling of something a bit horrific occurring. That trailer also mentions it being Hitchcockian which if I'd seen that would have reinforced that general vibe. The music too. Oh and the blood splatter too. And horrific things do happen at the end of the film so.. I'm not saying it looks like an out and out horror but clearly something using horror as part of its make up. I don't think getting that vibe makes any of us stupid.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, the fact that we're saying the poor are even parasites is just a failure of this movie's visual language and script to me. The rich benefit from the poor. It's not a parasitic relationship. We see maybe a 1 minute total of what happens when the rich are without the poor.

The parasitic quality of the Kims comes not from the fact that they are poor but that they mercilessly displace others, even their peers, to get ahead, like a cuckoo rolling other birds eggs out of a nest and laying it's own to be hatched.

And the film is largely from the Kims' point of view, so of course we get a more detailed perspective of their actions, which consequently makes it easier to be critical of them. But, like, the movie can be more than one thing. Themes don't become less important just because they're not sitting right on the surface.

I think it's kind of amazing that Bong maintains this affection for his characters and is rigorous in reminding us of their humanity, for all its faults. His refusal to paint villains makes the story that much more impactful.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
On the advice of Era I never watched a trailer so I only had the thumbnail to go on and yeah the title of the movie tends towards the feeling of something a bit horrific occurring. That trailer also mentions it being Hitchcockian which if I'd seen that would have reinforced that general vibe. The music too. Oh and the blood splatter too. And horrific things do happen at the end of the film so.. I'm not saying it looks like an out and out horror but clearly something using horror as part of its make up. I don't think getting that vibe makes any of us stupid.

Not saying you're stupid-I'm just seeing this come up over and over again. "I heard this movie is fantastic - but I'm not going to watch a horror movie." I don't get it. It would be like if I told someone - "hey you need to watch True Grit-it's a phenomenal movie." "Nah, I don't watch westerns."

To just dismiss the acclaim and accomplishment of a recommended film based simply on it's assumed genre is just weird to me.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
What do you need to actually see in the movie for it to click with you?

A reversal of the strong AND LINGERING metaphorical visual language that was used to depict the poor to show the rich as the actual parasitic force of the film. It's not even about the title; I'd have the same critique about the visual language regardless.

Again I think certain depictions are very strong but the film doesn't linger and are not as blunt and heavy-handed, so they are lost on viewers until repeat viewing. I'm not saying anyone is coming out of the film thinking the rich were the "good guys" although we do have posts failing to see the rich as parasitic or defining the poor as a parasitic relationship or taking a both sides stance, so maybe the message is muddled.... It falters on its emphasis of character flaws, showing indifference instead of exploitation.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

I wondered if it was horror myself at first. I didn't watch any trailers but the poster with the name Parasite(which feels like a typical kind of horror movie title/word), and the poster with all the eyes covered gives it an unsettling vibe to me.

Edit: Not that it would have stopped me from watching it anyways. Its reception made me interested in the first place and then I saw people saying not to look in to too much so I just went with it.

Sunfyre

Jan 15, 2020
Did as the title told me. Holy Shit. It made me so uncomfortable in the middle part that I nearly left the cinema. Not because i thought it was a bad movie, but they turned out to be so horrible people that it made my stomach twist. That family was savage af.

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the segment live. Especially liked the shout-out to the main cast (very touching).

Sorry can we talk spoilers openly yet?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
A reversal of the strong AND LINGERING metaphorical visual language that was used to depict the poor to show the rich as the actual parasitic force of the film. It's not even about the title; I'd have the same critique about the visual language regardless.

Again I think certain depictions are very strong but the film doesn't linger and are not as blunt and heavy-handed, so they are lost on viewers until repeat viewing. I'm not saying anyone is coming out of the film thinking the rich were the "good guys" although we do have posts failing to see the rich as parasitic or defining the poor as a parasitic relationship or taking a both sides stance, so maybe the message is muddled.... It falters on its emphasis of character flaws, showing indifference instead of exploitation.

Is your name Armond White by chance?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I sort of take a better safe than sorry approach with spoilers and just use the spoiler tag in case others are curious and read this thread but haven't seen the movie. I don't want to accidentally ruin it for folks

I feel the same way and if I'm not mistaken it was just released in the UK-so better safe than sorry for now.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching this movie blind with zero clue about the plot made it special to watch

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Any day now...

06a781c2-02c3-4c7d-89uj16.jpeg

sMbODOOhD-WlStzTo-NFzrtWDEEVYa33tQG28wiLlqs.jpg

Jul 4, 2018
If you click on your face in the top right hand corner, then click on your account, then pre-orders it should have a date. I assume with then 15+ rating you might be in the UK and I think it's just released in cinemas there so might take a while.

It releases here in NZ digitally on Thursday and I can't wait to see it again.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017

I went in fairly blind, and I wasn't too certain myself.

I think people get that impression less from the marketing and more from the talk surrounding it. You see the bare premise and you hear people say, "See it blind! Don't spoil anything!" and then you start asking yourself, "What is this movie hiding? There must be some big twist that the materials I've already seen don't reveal." Given the domestic setting and the title, it's easy to imagine that the twist is a dark tonal shift towards something like horror, either the luridly violent kind or the creepy unsettling kind.

Fortunately the movie defies most obvious expectations while remaining extremely effective. I haven't seen enough this year for my ranking to mean anything, but it's one of my favorites in a long while, and it hung with me for days afterwards.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
If you click on your face in the top right hand corner, then click on your account, then pre-orders it should have a date. I assume with then 15+ rating you might be in the UK and I think it's just released in cinemas there so might take a while.

It releases here in NZ digitally on Thursday and I can't wait to see it again.

Denmark, it released officially in cinemas shortly after Christmas over here, but it was a very limited run since foreign movies in anything except English don't really perform well here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Went in to this movie totally blind besides know it was about CLASS and imo that kind of messed it up for me...

I was expecting a big twist...like I thought the fumigation at the beginning was going to be literally the rich trying to kill the poor, the "drunk" guys actually being dying from the fumes, and then I started to shift into thinking the rich folks were super evil and then the underground room was revealed and...

Yeah! Actually it's probably a positive about the film the rich folks weren't villainous, as it I thought made the class issue more realistic. At first I honestly disliked the Kims for lying, because I'm an honest person, but then I realized that, wait, they weren't really harming the rich folks and actually they were doing real work.

Well, that's one fault I had with the film...the mom and dad were legit working, but the brother and sister were more ambiguous. Was the brother actually a good tutor OR was he just sleeving on the sophomorer? Same with the sister, was she positively helping the little kid. I feel like the brother being a (atleast in my view) a sexual predator kind of made me feel conflicted at what I assumed was the idea that despite being parasites, the poor family was the one contributing the most to the household. But maybe the moral ambiguity worked because morality shouldn't equate to economic status.

I'm just rambling I guess as I try to gather my thoughts but two things...

1)When I first saw the maid I thought she looked like Kim Jung, and then later she mockingly acted like him...intentional?

2) The little kid and his Indian obsession gave me some Shining vibes, though apparently some trailers played up the kid as a more central figure and his eccentricities vital to the plot so maybe that was on purpose too.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Brilliant movie. Went 100% blind and it was tense wondering if they'd be caught etc. Highly recommended!

vanmardigan

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I also thought it was a horror film (only saw the trailer plus people saying to go in blind). Still loved it, so did my wife, but I really kept waiting for a monster or some evil twist lol.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I didn't really care for this too much. Based on everyone talking the movie up for months I really expected something different, more.

And for some reason I thought it was going to have some sci-fi / supernatural elements to it.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I'm watching blind, just started and I legit thought from the title alone it would be a horror movie. Haven't read a single thing about it, didn't watch the Oscars, have only seen the name a lot as it is very successful.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Theatres 'round here started playing it again for the Oscars, and since I have always been intrigued by this movie but missed out on the initial limited run I figured I'd take the new chance to watch it. I didn't know much about it, the main thing I've read about it lately is that it's an uncomfortable movie in a good way. And I think that's a solid way to look at it: you have a family living in horrible conditions who would do anything, including cons and all various crimes to step out of there. And once they smell the rich life, they step too far and things crumble down because of it. At times, its not an easy watch as you take a look at some harsh situations that certainly exist, in SK and beyond, we just don't get to see them so often.

On the other hand, it was also a sensational movie, one that doesn't take long to hook you into its crazy loop. I immediately appreciated the cinematography but I wasn't sure I was liking where the opening was going, but ever since our main characters started setting foot into the rich people's home, I was 100% in. The second half was some anxiety-inducing stuff. Between everything, I liked how, at the end of the day, the rich people weren't made out to be the villains of the story, and that you could understand the motivations of all characters. A great foray into social inequality, narrated in a very atypical but incredibly effective way.

Excellent movie. Very happy that the best movie of the Oscars this year went to a film that is actually enjoyable to watch and not just thought-provoking like it happened many times before. This movie works really well both as entertainment and social themes, and it's definitely one of the most surprising and amazing movies I watched in the past couple years. I very much liked Snowpiercer, but in comparison that movie is almost a "dumb" action movie. Parasite is fantastic.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
I actually thought this was related to Parasyte for some reason before I watched it, had no idea Bong Joon-Ho was attached to it either lol.

Great film and the oscars are a momentous win.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Just got out of the cinema, the title of this thread and OP alone had me interested since it first went up so thank you OP, went in blind (bar seeing some articles talk about it before the Oscars but made sure to read nothing more than its use / focus on class). Wanted to see it since then but it only opened here on Friday but just breathtaking, utterly incredible movie. Really feel like I can't wait for the home release.

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna re-watch now of course but hey can get a spoiler thread please?

I've been re-reading the spoiler tags here and have more questions.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The one thing that sucks about this film winning the Oscars is all the decent YT videos about it are buried under trash hot takes.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
The UK is getting a steelbook that includes the theatrical and black and white cuts. You can pre order from hmv or Amazon UK once the link goes up for the latter.

Edit
Do any users do mail forwarding services? Hmv doesn't ship to the states.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Has anybody put any thought into the significance of

Ki-taek previously working st the cake shop the crazy guy owned, and what happened to the old housekeeper that made her look so crazy/unhealthy after a couple weeks of unemployment after she gets fired?

I read an interview with Bong where he says the story of how the housekeeper looked is something he couldn't fit into the film but was going to put into the HBO series.

Not saying you're stupid-I'm just seeing this come up over and over again. "I heard this movie is fantastic - but I'm not going to watch a horror movie." I don't get it. It would be like if I told someone - "hey you need to watch True Grit-it's a phenomenal movie." "Nah, I don't watch westerns."

To just dismiss the acclaim and accomplishment of a recommended film based simply on it's assumed genre is just weird to me.

I can kind of understand it. Honestly I don't think I will ever watch Marriage Story, for instance, despite it being one of the few nominees that is readily available to me because of Netflix.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
Has anybody put any thought into the significance of

Ki-taek previously working st the cake shop the crazy guy owned, and what happened to the old housekeeper that made her look so crazy/unhealthy after a couple weeks of unemployment after she gets fired?

It's not supposed to be the same cake shop. Those types of castella cake shops were booming for a while in South Korea until the bubble burst and lots of people lost big on their investment. The movie is drawing a parallel about how both families fell victim to the same fickle economy and it foreshadows Kim's further social descent.

Here's a longer explanation about the cake shops from reddit:

One of the things that I noticed while listening to some podcasts about the movie was the mentioning of the Taiwanese sponge cake. I'm not sure if the English subtitle translated it differently, but Taiwanese sponge cake comment directly refers to a specific Korean social phenomena. In the movie, the father of the Kims is said to have tried and failed in the Taiwanese sponge cake (Taiwanese "castella") business. The guy who lived in the basement of the Parks also mentions he had failed in the same business, resulting in a lot of debt.

Taiwanese Castella is more of a huge Chiffon cake-ish bread that supposedly is a very common street food in Taiwan. Korean tourist just started calling those "Taiwanese castellas" and spread words that it was the go-to street food in Taiwan. Having tasted it, it is less sweet than the Japanese "castellas" but has more egg-taste, which some people like. Naturally, it found its way into Korea around 2016.

Korea has had a social issue with people (usually people retiring from office jobs in their 50s) spending all of their retirement funds in small food businesses (especially fried chicken shops), or any other food business that's popular at that specific time. Obviously, MOST of those people end up losing money and the business folding. A LOT of Taiwanese castella shops started popping up around 2016 and it was the craze of the country for a very short while. People would line up around the building so that they could buy one. And then the AI (Avian Influenza) hit Korea. Egg prices skyrocketed and a lot of Taiwanese castella shops folded. A TV report about how low quality cooking oil was used in making those Castellas didn't help either.

So with that as the background, the fact that two poor husband/father of a poor family making poor money/business decision in starting a food business because it's the "hip" thing to do at the time and failing miserably... is something that's pretty close to a lot of Korean's heart.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
It's not supposed to be the same cake shop. Those types of castella cake shops were booming for a while in South Korea until the bubble burst and lots of people lost big on their investment. The movie is drawing a parallel about how both families fell victim to the same fickle economy and it foreshadows Kim's further social descent.

Here's a longer explanation about the cake shops from reddit:

Damn, wouldn't have known that if it weren't for the thread.
Thanks.

Jan 10, 2018
Just saw it in the theaters. What a wonderful movie, and such a fantastic feeling of seeing a Korean on a big screen.

I do wonder about a thing regarding the ending though:

Why didn't the father just sneak out of the house at the first opportunity? Was it because of the shame and guilt that he felt for killing the house owner?

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it in the theaters. What a wonderful movie, and such a fantastic feeling of seeing a Korean on a big screen.

I do wonder about a thing regarding the ending though:

Why didn't the father just sneak out of the house at the first opportunity? Was it because of the shame and guilt that he felt for killing the house owner?
He would have been seen by the CCTV cameras of the other houses in the neighbourhood and he has nowhere safe to go since he's murdered someone and the police are looking for him.