• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Supervisor: I don't understand how a movie that wins best foreign film can also win best picture. Shouldn't it be disqualified after that?

24 hours later...

Supervisor: I saw the film Parasite. It deserves all the Oscars.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Mixed feelings after watching it.
It was very funny,some scenes were really creative and yet i lean more towards not liking it or see it as a ok movie.
All the build up/set up in the first half was so methodical that it became repetitive/predictable imo.
2nd half was the most entertaining part, even if i didn't like the climax.
The theme of the movie is interesting and relatable,and yet i feel that the movie itself wasn't as good as the message.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Memories of Murder is free on YouTube (in the US at least, not sure about elsewhere), will try to watch it later today since everyone seems to put it as one of his best movies.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it in the theaters. What a wonderful movie, and such a fantastic feeling of seeing a Korean on a big screen.

I do wonder about a thing regarding the ending though:

Why didn't the father just sneak out of the house at the first opportunity? Was it because of the shame and guilt that he felt for killing the house owner?

He knows he would be wanted. There's nowhere to go. When the son wakes up from his coma it shows the police are following him everywhere in hopes of discovering where the father is. The only people left who know about the basement are their family.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's not supposed to be the same cake shop. Those types of castella cake shops were booming for a while in South Korea until the bubble burst and lots of people lost big on their investment. The movie is drawing a parallel about how both families fell victim to the same fickle economy and it foreshadows Kim's further social descent.

Here's a longer explanation about the cake shops from reddit:

This whole thread is a fantastic read-thank you for sharing.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Also, Korean Netlix if you have a VPN (there are english subs)

Oh cool, I'll have to give this a try. Used to do this years ago, but then Netflix started cracking down on VPNs.

And yeah, blu-ray would be the best for a movie like MoM - something I'd like to watch multiple times over the years - but I'm gonna need a European release. Region locking is a fucking mess.

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
So I just watched it today. The plot change half way through and the dark turn the story went was a total mind fuck to me.

I love the cinematography in this movie....for some reason, it reminds me of a Studio Ghibli movie coming to life. I'm not sure why my mind keeps going back to Studio Ghibli characters.

Simplegamer

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished.... I was not expecting shit to get so crazy. I'm still trying to gather everything that just went down.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Watched this tonight without knowing any thing about it (other than it's best picture win). I loved it. I did think the mother was a bit too gullible for believability.... I mean why would all these strangers just happen to know replacements? That would come off way to suspicious to me. Other than that I loved the acting, pitch pefect pace and wonderful screenplay and cinematography. When the old housekeeper showed up I knew shit was about to go sideways. The basement was a complete and utter shock though (as it should be as there was no hints to it's existence that I can recall). That whole act of the movie was incredible.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back home from seeing the B&W version. Can't say that it improved my viewing experience, but it was still nice to watch the movie again

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Just finished watching this...

7lmVgVF.jpg

When the fired housekeeper ends up coming back shit hits the fan so fast. That scene with the family going full panic mode when they're told the camping trip is over was great!

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
Saw this last night, I thought was good, above average but if I saw this last year I don't think it would have been that high in my best films of the decade. The lighthouse came out around same time here and I think I preferred that and I watched one cut of the dead last week and as a horror comedy I preferred that too.

I think for me once the *spoiler* happens in the second act I found it a bit predictable and the climax a bit forced.

But it was a good movie with out a doubt.

Congrats on oscars awards.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
I got stressed starting when
the fired house worker came back which was great.

Oct 28, 2017
Just saw it, though it was brilliant, and reading insights about the language used (from the Reddit link above) was really interesting and expanded on the themes of the film!

I did think the mother was a bit too gullible for believability.... I mean why would all these strangers just happen to know replacements?
(Sorry for not using their names D:)
She was a bit gullible, but the son suggesting his sister isn't something crazy because they're both academics and it's not way out there that he would have connections like that. The daughter suggested the father, and the rich mother seemed to like her, and was also informed that she was very prestigious, so her knowing a good driver wouldn't seem crazy. If the mother was recommended again to the rich mother I would be bit like wtf, but the mother being hired it was suggested to the rich father by the father, but the rich mother wasn't informed of this, so she had no clue it was coming from them again. So imo falling for two is believable, three would've been too many. Also I don't think the rich father would've been informed about the other suggestions either.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it, though it was brilliant, and reading insights about the language used (from the Reddit link above) was really interesting and expanded on the themes of the film!

(Sorry for not using their names D:)
She was a bit gullible, but the son suggesting his sister isn't something crazy because they're both academics and it's not way out there that he would have connections like that. The daughter suggested the father, and the rich mother seemed to like her, and was also informed that she was very prestigious, so her knowing a good driver wouldn't seem crazy. If the mother was recommended again to the rich mother I would be bit like wtf, but the mother being hired it was suggested to the rich father by the father, but the rich mother wasn't informed of this, so she had no clue it was coming from them again. So imo falling for two is believable, three would've been too many. Also I don't think the rich father would've been informed about the other suggestions either.

I also think some amount of time passes over the course of the first act, weeks to months. So there is a lot of time for the Kims to ingratiate themselves and gain trust.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched it. Was amazing. I will admit it's hard for me to rewatch movies like this because the intensity and rising escalation always makes my stomach feel weird lol.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I thought it was great, but it didn't strike me as amazing. Something wrong with me? Someone wanna quote someone else or anything neat to read about the movie? Nothing negative, just like, damn.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Saw it tonight and enjoyed it, but it was awfully predictable, even down to the final scene. My wife and I paused the movie like 5 times during it to discuss what would happen next and we were right everytime.

That didn't ruin it for us or anything, but I just felt like it telegraphed everything.

1. The kid got a job and you knew the rest of the movie was going to be about the rest of the family also getting a job for them, thus the title "parasite".
2. You knew they were going to force out the housekeeper in some way. And their actions would come back to haunt them and somehow this plan was going to absolutely blow up
3. You knew when the housekeeper came back and was likely looking for a child or something in the basement... Didn't think it was her husband but you knew it was going to be some person.
4. You knew eventually the family in the basement was going to escape.
5. You knew pretty much this movie was going to end with everyone dying and getting screwed just like "Breaking Bad", family member tries to help family, it goes right for a little bit, then it sounds out of control and eventually everyone's going to end up dead.
6. When the dead is on the floor of the gym lamenting how it's all pointless that he was going to kill the rich family. You also knee he would wind up in the basement because the other husband told him it wasn't so bad.
7. The son having the happy ending you knew was fake because that's how Inception ending

Still a cool cool movie, I just wished it went MORE off the rails than it did

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Saw it tonight and enjoyed it, but it was awfully predictable, even down to the final scene. My wife and I paused the movie like 5 times during it to discuss what would happen next and we were right everytime.

That didn't ruin it for us or anything, but I just felt like it telegraphed everything.

1. The kid got a job and you knew the rest of the movie was going to be about the rest of the family also getting a job for them, thus the title "parasite".
2. You knew they were going to force out the housekeeper in some way. And their actions would come back to haunt them and somehow this plan was going to absolutely blow up
3. You knew when the housekeeper came back and was likely looking for a child or something in the basement... Didn't think it was her husband but you knew it was going to be some person.
5. You knew pretty much this movie was going to end with everyone dying and getting screwed just like "Breaking Bad", family member tries to help family, it goes right for a little bit, then it sounds out of control and eventually everyone's going to end up dead.
6. When the dead is on the floor of the gym lamenting how it's all pointless that he was going to kill the rich family. You also knee he would wind up in the basement because the other husband told him it wasn't so bad.
7. The son having the happy ending you knew was fake because that's how Inception ending

Is frequently pausing and deliberating where you think a movie's heading how you typically enjoy films, or were you spontaneously pausing because you instantly felt you knew where it was headed and just had to get it off your chest?

If it's latter, fair enough. But if it's the former, I don't think it's entirely fair to criticize the movie for being predictable to a typical audience who wouldn't be frequently pausing to try and piece together the movie like a jigsaw puzzle.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018

was the basement mentioned before the maid showed up at the door?

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you can't see the parasitic nature of the rich family, looks like the 24-hour capitalist propaganda within society has worked.

"Mr. Gates ... RESPECT!"

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Loved the film.

Ending didn't QUITE land for me...

The father was free to leave and see his family at any time. I realize they were being watched, but that was temporary...so his plan to see him again by buying the house didn't...really...land.

Other than that, terrific.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the film.

The father was free to leave and see his family at any time. I realize they were being watched, but that was temporary...so his plan to see him again by buying the house didn't...really...land.

Except he
never bought the house, and will never be able to.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Very ok film. Didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

The themes are better than the actual film.

Best scene was where they drank whiskey + doorbell ringing leading up to everything else.

Fintendo

Jun 5, 2019
It was good, nothing stand out, the themes of the movie were good. Personally, I preferred 1917 to this.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the film.

why do you think they could see each other at any time? They couldn't. At all.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
While local cinemas didn't screen when it first released they're doing a limited screening now after it won the Oscar so I got to see it. Great movie.

I knew things were going to go bad but I was not prepared for the basement.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That sounds like a terrible way to watch movies. But most movies, including this one aren't trying to fool you. The sense of building dread relies on you knowing it's all going to fall apart

that said, I disagree that #3 was obvious