• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you're a terrible person or somehow oblivious to the thing you're complaining about.
until these minorities are given enough jobs yes they should make certain films/characters because otherwise the status quo continues and the problems they cause continue. apply this to literally most things

novels don't have one writer, there's this thing called editors
I'm not sure how you pass judgment on someone like that with such limited information. I've personally done a lot to try to get skilled women opportunities they otherwise wouldn't have. But that's neither here nor there. It's not necessary to devolve into some sort of personal attack on me.

My beef isn't with a studio saying "Oh we are making a Black Panther movie, we need a black director." (Although that also has the opposite problem of minorities almost ONLY getting those kinds of opportunities, opposed to, say, writing/directing Superman or Iron Man.)

My beef is if some guy writes a movie, the studio likes it and wants to do it -- and then because it is a female lead they force him to just be a producer and let a woman write over it and/or direct it. And that shit happens all the time, sometimes with the guy still credited, sometimes not.

As far as Novels go, editors aren't writers. Yes they're an important part of the process -- just like the cavalcade of producers and executives who give notes on film and television projects, but they are not the author of the piece, and are never considered the author of the piece.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
ColdRevolvingGalapagosdove-small.gif

It's probably because I don' t have my priorities in place, but the most triggering thing about him has always been this dude-bro sullying of Rainbow Brite's iconic getup.

That girl deserves better.

Oct 27, 2017
John Landis hasn't had the kind of clout required to suppress this kind of thing since the Twilight Zone movie where he got Vic Marrow killed on set

Vic Morrow and two children, because he was reckless and irresponsible, as well as illegally breaking child labor laws. The whole thing was fucking avoidable, so fuck John Landis, and fuck Max Landis too. Dude is so far up his own ass and he's a fucking creep.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I miss the Max Landis defense force

Has anyone here read the Chronicle script (Landis' only real critical success beyond his Superman comic book)? It is just not a good screenplay by most standards. He just seems like a dude really fantastic at pitch meetings and has a lot of somewhat interesting premises. That's about it. Add the creep/sexual assaulyer factor and I don't know why anyone would be dimwitted enough to defend him.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
The first salvo:

https://medium.com/@coloursocietyre...g-to-the-court-of-public-opinion-fd966549cc5e

If Max's career continues out into the open, he WILL be destroyed. He's lucky this lady won't reveal her true name out of fear. If she did so, others would feel free to come forward and bury him for real.

When she says "I'm not going to argue with you on the specifics of what happened" and he responds, "That's probably smart". Man, fuck Landis forever. Just a horrible, gaslighting piece of shit.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Has anyone here read the Chronicle script (Landis' only real critical success beyond his Superman comic book)? It is just not a good screenplay by most standards. He just seems like a dude really fantastic at pitch meetings and has a lot of somewhat interesting premises. That's about it. Add the creep/sexual assaulyer factor and I don't know why anyone would be dimwitted enough to defend him.
Chronicle was only as good as it was because of his film teacher apparently. As you said, it was a good idea and he's good at coming up with them, but he needed someone like his film teacher (who is supposedly a legend in his field) to punch up the script and cut out the many, many excesses.

I've listened and read up on a ton of Max Landis over the years, and I think I have a good assessment of who he is as a person and a writer. He's an amazing pitchman, he's great at coming up with big ideas and selling them. His actual execution and plotting leaves a lot to be desired. It's not that his ideas are too wild, it's that he relies too heavily on basic tropes and predictable turns, and leaves a lot of unnecessary fat in his scripts. He genuinely needs good editing. Some of the issues on his films though aren't entirely his fault. David Ayer was the one that absolutely butchered Bright, and the studio is what completely ruined the ending of American Ultra (which I actually liked).

As a person though, Max strikes me as someone with some sort of narcissistic personality disorder. I'm gonna be an armchair psychologist about this, but this dude is highly charismatic and surrounds himself with people who adulate him. He's good at manipulating and winning people over and turning every single thing that happens into a thing that is about him. He also has a violently sensitive ego and cannot handle rejection. A total womanizer who collects and demeans his girlfriends constantly, routinely cheats on and humiliates them at every opportunity. He's like Chris Hardwick in that he makes his SO feel like less than nothing, and makes them dependent on him for emotional validation. Just based on what people have said about them, he cannot take no for an answer and brags about sleeping with a ton of women and his penis size. He's just a classic narcissist with boundary issues and an insanely high opinion of himself.

How has he gotten away with it for so long and what is the source of his power? Contrary to popular belief, I don't think it's his dad. Sure, being rich helps him, but his father isn't the power player in Hollywood that people think he is. After his negligence caused the deaths of 3 people (two of them being children), he became a pariah in Hollywood's elite circles and lost the close friendships of a ton of power players, including Steven Spielberg who Max met whenever he was over their house for a visit. John Landis saw his career steadily decline as more and people abandoned him, and by the time Max became a thing, John was nothing. Max is only as successful as he is because he is very good at manipulating people, making them sympathize with his struggles and his perspective. It's right there in that medium article. He basically sexually assaulted a girl and made HER feel bad for it, and if his friend group sounded like cult in her description, that isn't by accident.

But Max can't continue to exist in the MeToo era. Every advance his career makes will come with horrible story about him told by one of the many (MANY) women he's hurt in the past. I've heard countless tales, ranging from rape and humiliation he dealt in college, to violent physical assaults, to gaslighting and the total destruction of a person's soul. This ends with Max either receding into the shadows and ghost writing scripts for the rest of his life, or Max killing himself because his ego can't handle that.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is like if a movie director made offensive or racist comments in the past and then directed green book..... oh wait

Max just go away please

OP
OP
Brian McDoogle
Oct 25, 2017
The first salvo:

https://medium.com/@coloursocietyre...g-to-the-court-of-public-opinion-fd966549cc5e

If Max's career continues out into the open, he WILL be destroyed. He's lucky this lady won't reveal her true name out of fear. If she did so, others would feel free to come forward and bury him for real.
I'm bumping this not because new stuff has come out, but I recently saw an article on The Daily Beast where they actually spoke with the author of this piece.

The Daily Beast:
The Daily Beast spoke with the author of the Medium post, who has chosen to remain anonymous. She shared that, "It was difficult over the last year seeing [Landis'] fans dismiss the allegations as rumor, knowing that at any time I could come forward and provide something concrete. I thought about it all the time, but it gave me so much anxiety. I didn't want to do something rash that I would regret. Reading those articles this past weekend and realizing that he had 'won' despite all that we went through last year, I was done. It needed to come out."

Reflecting on the social media posts about Landis and the "rumors" that she alluded to in her piece, she explained, "That's why I've always believed the other stories, because they all ring so true. And I didn't really tell anybody about this except for super close friends, and so I'm really positive that absolutely none of the stories have to do with me, because I was never close with Max's friend group." As she notes in her Medium post, "The fine details of the stories I've heard are eerily familiar."

She told The Daily Beast that, "It wasn't really until I started hearing all these other stories that I was putting together that this was actually a pattern of behavior and it wasn't a mistake," adding, "I wouldn't have ever said anything if there weren't other women. I would have continued doubting myself forever. A lot of this is that I'm doing it for them, so that if they want to come forward, they won't be alone."
The author of the Medium post sent The Daily Beast her Facebook chat archive, which contains the messages between her and Landis that she shared in her post. The Daily Beast also spoke with a friend of the accuser, who said that the incident described in the post matched up with what she was told about the trip.

"She came over to my house afterwards, like the next day or something like that, and [she] told me exactly what happened. She went with [Landis] out in the desert thinking it was going to be a fun time, and then he basically forced himself on her and she pretended to be asleep and luckily that worked."

The friend, who explained that she had previously spoken to The Hollywood Reporter as well, said that while this all happened many years ago, she could confirm that the conversation at her house occurred "either the next day or shortly after" the alleged incident.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Found this to be very interesting. A while back, Max's now ex girlfriend posted and deleted this tweet. She supported him through all of this and even posted things obliquely defending him. She was his rock throughout all of this, but very suddenly she deleted him from her insta and posted and deleted this tweet. I'm shocked, and I'm wondering what he could have possibly done to prompt this. Maybe he's not the monster we think he is, maybe he's worse.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
https://twitter.com/Ani_Easton

His Ex is absolutely torching him on social media:

He honestly sounds like a true sociopath that pushed his luck too far. Now there's no coming back for him. He's preventing a full blown #MeToo exposé by sheer force of will, constantly begging the women he hurt to not speak, "make amends", and living in constant fear of his eventual fall. He was even using his last girlfriend to purify his image, but he couldn't even go without hurting her either. There is absolutely something twisted and wretched in his soul that's really fascinating.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Landis is a hack.

Edit: I didn't know this was old news. As someone who thought Chronicle was great it sucks it seems that it seems to be a fluke by everyone involved.