• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Giveaway over.
Hello, I am a bot! I come bearing 1 gifts from snowtire!

This is a raffle that will expire in 18 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

t1536952630z0.png

How to Participate:

To enter this giveaway click here to send a private message to me, GiftBot, with the subject line entry.

In the message body, copy and paste the entire line below for the prize you wish to win. You are allowed only 1 entry per giveaway.

Available Prizes:

Paratopic: -- GB-e5456391-f287-4540-bb9b-fcf4d34c64fe

______

https://store.steampowered.com/app/897030/agecheck
https://arbitrarymetric.itch.io/paratopic

Played the original release a couple months back and really enjoyed myself. The specifics of it are better left to be experienced yourself (took about 40 minutes to run through the original) but the game is absolutely worth checking out. It's got a great style/tone to it and lots of wonderful, first person, jump cuts.

$5.49 USD.

GbXRQBw.png
kJitjK4.png

NEd1EWb.png
wIBLZyz.png

Last edited:

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
The updated version of the game has new content. I haven't timed it, but the game is longer now.

Runs on Windows, Mac, Linux. Dedicated Linux and Mac builds, not Proton.

Before anyone asks: I tried to get it on Switch. I did. If anyone wants to put me in direct contact with someone at Nintendo so I can try again, DM me an email.

If you buy on itch.io, we get a lot more of the cut, and you'll get a steam key for it when it launches.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The updated version of the game has new content. I haven't timed it, but the game is longer now.

Before anyone asks: I tried to get it on Switch. I did. If anyone wants to put me in direct contact with someone at Nintendo so I can try again, DM me an email.

If you buy on itch.io, we get a lot more of the cut, and you'll get a steam key for it when it launches.

Nice to see a native Linux build. Hopefully I'll have nailed down my HTPC issues before the game releases; it'd be nice to play on the big screen this time around.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
We have dedicated controller support already! I haven't tested with anything other than DS4 and X1 tho. I no longer have a 360 controller on PC, but it ~should~ work.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna check this once it's released on Steam. It looks intriguing, hopefully it won't be too scary for me.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017

Correct. $8.49 if you want the OST iirc.

Nice, but I've got another plans...

Didn't do a full runthru because it's late, but it appears to work 100% fine. If it doesn't when we drop in two weeks, let me know.

This looks weird. Sold.

The game's fascination with eerie frissons in familiar places, with the intangible border between here and there, evokes, among many other things, the writing of J.G. Ballard. The Ballardian is marked by alienation, masochism, urban structures haunted by emptiness, and the hollow violence of wealth. But where Ballard's characters were often disaffected upper-class types, Paratopic depicts a precariat milieu of dingy apartments, highway gas stations, and grimy diners. These are the spaces accessible to people with no money, people who may be desperate or disenfranchised or simply passing through. The diner's windows are clouded with grime, looking out on a city comprised of squat brown buildings where a lone crow pecks at a corpse on the street. A neon sign behind the counter promises hot food, but the "hot" keeps flickering in and out. The gas station is dimly lit and half-stocked, with an attendant who is equally insistent about the existence of aliens and the immorality of wealth.

via Heterotopias

Last edited:

kaftan

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good game. Visuals and vibes can be utterly stunning at times. I can recommend everybody to buy it. Five bucks for a short experience is something of a platonic ideal for me these busy times.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017

I know SOMEONE at Era can get them in contact with Nintendo. C'mon, help them out. This would sell like crazy on Switch

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Should be out now Dancrane212!

Sad thing is, reviews from itch codes don't count towards Steam (they do count on itch tho!). All the positive reviews we've gotten on itch so far are great.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Should be out now Dancrane212!

Sad thing is, reviews from itch codes don't count towards Steam (they do count on itch tho!). All the positive reviews we've gotten on itch so far are great.

Well, I enjoyed the game quite a bit (much more than the $5 I paid) so I'll happily roll with a Steam purchase to have a proper review.

That means I have an extra code though so giveaway time I suppose...

Thread title changed per OP's request.

Thanks!

kaftan

Oct 27, 2017
Game is getting great user reviews just in case someone wonders if they wanna dip in! And I read it was mentioned in Rock Paper Shotgun's best list of 2018 games insofar? Real damn nice.

Really interesting interview about the game with Doc.

https://intothespine.com/2018/03/20/interview-paratopic-meeting-a-serial-killer-and-kmfdm/

Absolutely insane with that real life serial killer encounter.

Insane and frightening. This would sure leave a mark on me. But then I'm a soft as a brand new pillow.

I like the new additions, tho the one during the bird watching had my natural instinct screaming at me not to engage. Almost walked away.

Reminded me of Lost, lol.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's an excellent little game. Great to see it getting an expanded release because I always felt it would have benefited from a few extra scenes to help the pacing feel a bit roomier.

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have the game wishlisted and I'm rather curious to check it out, so I'm in, thanks for the chance.

kaftan

Oct 27, 2017
Dancrane212
Yeah, there was a fuse box on one of the pillars, one on the left when entering, that turned on lights and then you could've turned on the now powered terminals and... I won't spoil any further :)

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I will be honest here.
When I finished the game I watched some old youtube videos of the old version.
I didn't notices something different.
Did I missed something?

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Reminded me of Lost, lol.
YES. I'm a big fan of things like that. Beyond the Black Rainbow does something similar as well.

I will be honest here.
When I finished the game I watched some old youtube videos of the old version.
I didn't notices something different.
Did I missed something?

Two new areas hidden in normal areas, dialogue changes, various graphical improvements/bugfixes, achievements, trading cards (not yet, but eventually), LOTS of new frobs, a new gas station interactive, dialogue based on gas station actions.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I plan on grabbing this as soon as I can.
Doc, is this the game you and some [members of the previous forum]'ers were working on a few years back?
edit: would be down for the draw as well, but will likely buy anyway