• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Got one twin home with the flu and the other twin getting more and more attached to me, making daycare drop-off way more difficult than it has been in a while. I'm sure it doesn't help that his sister hasn't been there with him the last couple days but, man, I thought we were well past the days of tears when I left him at school.

My daughter went back and forth at drop off for 5 years, would have stretches where it was no sweat for 2-3 months, then have a couple weeks where she was weepy at drop off. Now I take her to kindergarten and she told me "i can walk by myself …. Bye dad!" And she marched off all by herself down the sidewalk as I stood there, didn't even look back 😭

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Starting to look at summer camp options and oh boy.

We got a 10yr old that'll prolly do mostly the stuff the local college is offering — basically full day camps. That's not a huge problem, however we have a 4yr old that needs something as well since she's in a Montessori preschool that isn't yearlong and oh boy. The school will run a summer camp but it's not the entire summer, and aside from that most options locally are half day at best. I love childcare deserts.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, full summer daycare/preschool was a godsend for us even tho my wife's a teacher and had summers off, that first summer we did 3 days a week and my wife wanted to die so I was like, never again, we're going full summer.

We started kindergarten this fall and Christmas vacation we were well planned at all, but February vaca we did a ymca day camp and she freaking loved it, so we got in for April vacation and then again for summer at least most of the weeks. We're paying for every week but will take a couple off here and there depending. The ymca camp was a huge win for us, they did swimming 3 days and I think over the summer they swim every day, and it was just a hunch of structured games and some learning stuff, movie on Fridays. So we're amped

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
My toddler had eye realignment surgery last Wed. Everything went well it was outpatient but had to prep for anesthesia. Needs eye drops 3x day for a week which is always fun. Kept rubbing his eyes for first couple days and his eyes are bloodshot red looks like a vampire or something haha. Back at daycare today and post op appt on wed.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
Anyone have any thoughts about when to tell a child about a loved one's impending death?

A grandparent of my child has a terrible and terminal illness and will be availing themselves of MAID* before they really begin to suffer, but I don't know how far in advance such things are scheduled, nor the likely timeline, but I imagine as soon as a year, two at most. Things are made slightly more difficult since the grandparent doesn't want to talk about it. Child is 6.5 at the moment.

* MAID: medical assistance in dying

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have any thoughts about when to tell a child about a loved one's impending death?

A grandparent of my child has a terrible and terminal illness and will be availing themselves of MAID* before they really begin to suffer, but I don't know how far in advance such things are scheduled, nor the likely timeline, but I imagine as soon as a year, two at most. Things are made slightly more difficult since the grandparent doesn't want to talk about it. Child is 6.5 at the moment.

* MAID: medical assistance in dying

I'd probably not tell the child in advance, other than saying that he is ill. Kids that age tend to take death more-or-less in their stride, but impending death may be too much to process - plus there's the risk she'll say something she ought not to.

(My granddaughters other grandfather died recently - he was very old, so we all knew it was coming, but she would happily talk to him beforehand, and wasn't too worried about it afterwards. We didn't even consider telling her that he was dying.)

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
The there fellow parents ,
the child got a running nose and I want to get some nasal spray going because swimming lessons start this week.
How to get a almost six year old to take their medicine?
I finally got her to take a fever sirup but nasal spray is a no-go...
I used to put in the nose while sleeping but even this makes me feel bad, like i violate personal boundaries, eventhough sometimes it told that it was fine....

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017
The there fellow parents ,
the child got a running nose and I want to get some nasal spray going because swimming lessons start this week.
How to get a almost six year old to take their medicine?
I finally got her to take a fever sirup but nasal spray is a no-go...
I used to put in the nose while sleeping but even this makes me feel bad, like i violate personal boundaries, eventhough sometimes it told that it was fine....

Which nasal spray are you talking about? If it's an allergy spray the oral meds are equally as effective, and if it's just a nasal saline rinse it only clears out the nose for really 15-20 mins depending so probably not worth the fight. I can't imagine many 6 year olds would be thrilled to shoot something up their nose

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Boogie Wipes has a saline mist inhaler if you want saline rinse-like shit that kids will actually take. If it's medicine yeah the kids aren't eating it if it isn't laced with 99% sugar.

Loading…

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
Can you bribe her with something?
I already tried, but she will sit it out XD

Which nasal spray are you talking about? If it's an allergy spray the oral meds are equally as effective, and if it's just a nasal saline rinse it only clears out the nose for really 15-20 mins depending so probably not worth the fight. I can't imagine many 6 year olds would be thrilled to shoot something up their nose

Just a decongestant nasal spray to avoid a ear infection when sinuses are stuffed.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
How do y'all approach your kids who talk too much to the point that it just gets on your nerves? I love my son, but the amount that he talks just triggers me and I don't want to keep taking it out on him.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
nKa0yo8.jpeg

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
Anyone have any recommendations for phonics-based learning-to-read games? kiddo is 6.5 and hates sounding out words. Last year she got fed the bullshit context-clues reading method (I can't remember what it's called) and while ostensibly she's doing phonics-based reading at school this year she won't engage with it with us. She loves video games though, so wondering if we can trick her into learning somehow (I accept it is likely to not work).

iPad, Mac, Windows, or web.

How do y'all approach your kids who talk too much to the point that it just gets on your nerves? I love my son, but the amount that he talks just triggers me and I don't want to keep taking it out on him.

My sister wouldn't shut up. My parents frequently read her the story of the little green turtle*. It didn't make her stop talking but I think it helped them to call her their little green turtle.

* it wouldn't stop talking, eventually it needed to be carried for a ride by biting a stick held aloft by a pair of birds. It couldn't resist talking while airborne so fell to its death (I assume-- I'm going by memory; unrelatedly my sister and I aren't super close).

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'd just try to calm your own sanity with your kids talking all the time.

Kids, and even many adults, sometimes "Talk to think," meaning, their thoughts in their head spill out of their mouth, and they haven't learned to have an internal voice. My wife talks to think. She has thoughts, they come out of her mouth. You might know a lot of coworkers who do it too, it's normal, but for some people can be really annoying (or, for others, relieved that there's someone to talk to break the silence).

My 5.5 year old basically just makes talk, in the form of questions. We'll be in the car and she'll just say "Daaadddyyy......???" in an inquisitive voice, and I'll be like "Yeah?" ".. ummm.... uuhh... uhh.. um..." and then she'll manufacture a question. "Why is there a graveyard?" She didn't tlak for about 2 years and was still slow to make real progress conversationally till after 3 so I'm usually always happy to chat with her, but sometimes when I'm working from home or concentrating on something I'll tell her, "Yknow honey you don't need to ask me questions unless you have one in your head already."

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018

Anyone have any recommendations for phonics-based learning-to-read games? kiddo is 6.5 and hates sounding out words. Last year she got fed the bullshit context-clues reading method (I can't remember what it's called) and while ostensibly she's doing phonics-based reading at school this year she won't engage with it with us. She loves video games though, so wondering if we can trick her into learning somehow (I accept it is likely to not work).

iPad, Mac, Windows, or web.

My sister wouldn't shut up. My parents frequently read her the story of the little green turtle*. It didn't make her stop talking but I think it helped them to call her their little green turtle.

* it wouldn't stop talking, eventually it needed to be carried for a ride by biting a stick held aloft by a pair of birds. It couldn't resist talking while airborne so fell to its death (I assume-- I'm going by memory; unrelatedly my sister and I aren't super close).

I'd just try to calm your own sanity with your kids talking all the time.

Kids, and even many adults, sometimes "Talk to think," meaning, their thoughts in their head spill out of their mouth, and they haven't learned to have an internal voice. My wife talks to think. She has thoughts, they come out of her mouth. You might know a lot of coworkers who do it too, it's normal, but for some people can be really annoying (or, for others, relieved that there's someone to talk to break the silence).

My 5.5 year old basically just makes talk, in the form of questions. We'll be in the car and she'll just say "Daaadddyyy......???" in an inquisitive voice, and I'll be like "Yeah?" ".. ummm.... uuhh... uhh.. um..." and then she'll manufacture a question. "Why is there a graveyard?" She didn't tlak for about 2 years and was still slow to make real progress conversationally till after 3 so I'm usually always happy to chat with her, but sometimes when I'm working from home or concentrating on something I'll tell her, "Yknow honey you don't need to ask me questions unless you have one in your head already."

I think over the last couple posts , it became clear that there are different reasons why kids talk all the time. Either because otherwise they cannot hold a though or they have the need to connect to you and have learned doing that by asking questions.
So basically , try to find out what the need behind the talking is.
ANd then work from there to how to meet that need with less talking. It maybe the want a cuddle or need other mean to hold their tought or want your attention. So one round of a game and then they can go back to what they were doing before.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I remind myself eventually I'll wish they talked to me more. I'm already reaching that point with my oldest. I get it though, in the moment you probably have something you're in the middle of and the chatter from your kid is unending. For me I deflected, I'd say something like "I really want to hear the end of this, but can we hold off until <thing> is done?" or if you're doing something they can help with, rope them into the task. That's how I taught my oldest to make her own dinner. She'd talk my ear off but at least we were making progress on something.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Started toilet training this week at daycare. Seems to be going well there with constant updates when he uses the potty or tries and many extra pairs of training underwear and pants.
At home it's a different story. Says no to everything. Doesn't want to use the potty, whenever I ask him if he needs to pee he says no. Then when his underwear gets wet or he poops, he doesn't want to change or give me any indication. Just doesn't seem to care right now. Need to ask how daycare does it.