• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think we were just about to finally find some semblance of rhythm until our kid suddenly decided that he didn't like eating for whatever reason. He went from calmly taking a bottle whenever he signaled he was hungry, to suddenly taking one sip and then rearing his head back and crying. Now we're back to trying to figure out what's wrong, and how to help him.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Little dude just turned 5 months and had a check in yesterday.

Still looks like he'll be a lineman - 20lbs, 1 oz at 26 and 7/8 inches.

Finally back to only waking up 1 or 2 times a night because mom stopped eating spicy food. Poor guy has horrible gas.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Kid finally started eating again. It turns out he actually DID want to eat, but had somehow forgotten how to suck from a bottle properly, so he would suck fruitlessly for a few seconds, get frustrated, and cry. After a day or two of this, he finally figured it out but still fucked it up a few times for the next few feeds before eventually getting it again.

What the fuck.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
It doesn't really stop either. First couple years: avocado is fucking great! Next couple of years: ffs get this avocado away from me. Last couple of years: avocado is great!

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really stop either. First couple years: avocado is fucking great! Next couple of years: ffs get this avocado away from me. Last couple of years: avocado is great!
My daughter is three and we see this play out in the span of a month sometimes. She will be all about bananas and then halfway through actively despises them... End of the month loves them again.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Each feed, he still has a decent chance of screwing up the sucking motion a few times before he finally gets it. He's impatient too, so he'll cry if he doesn't get it right within the first few seconds. Every feed is now a game of "how many tries will it take before you remember what you did just a few hours ago!?"

At least he's getting food in him regularly now, but smh.

And of course, after he gets a feed in, he's all like :D to everyone. Infuriating and adorable at the same time, as has already been mentioned here.

My daughter is three and we see this play out in the span of a month sometimes. She will be all about bananas and then halfway through actively despises them... End of the month loves them again.
OTL

I took a blood pressure test at the local pharmacy the other day and was completely shocked to see that it hadn't risen. I feel like my blood pressure should be through the roof, and my hair should have turned white/fallen out a few weeks ago.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Today it happened. My 15 month old daughter (who has been able to turn on my PS4 and navigate to the YouTube app on occasion) finally did what I've feared: went to the PS Store and pre-ordered a game. Cautionary tale for the parents leaving controllers around. Thankfully Sony customer service refunded it

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I'd refund that too.
God of War or Ni No Kuni I would have been fine with. ;)

It's so stupid that you can password protect purchases but the setting for auto-renew subscriptions and insta-buy pre-orders share a Yes/No-toggle. So if you have PS+ that you want to auto-renew you need to live with that a child can insta-buy a pre-order.

Just a heads up to the parents who leave their controllers in the open.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, at 15 months? That's amazing.
Started out with me teaching her that the PS-button switched the TV on. Then it graduated to her emulating my grip with at the controller. Then I taught her how the sticks worked and how to navigate the menues. (I know I'm the one to blame for the pre-order.) Then whenever we watched something on the TV she wanted a controller so she got my SNES mini controller and she's been hammering away at that one for a few months (even if the tv isn't on and it's been coming with us on longer trips due to the ability to calm her down) so she's gotten quite good at pressing buttons. She's going to be a far better gamer than I am.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to when mine is coordinated enough to make deliberate actions. Sometimes he bats his own bottle out of his mouth while drinking because he fidgets randomly, then cries because he no longer has the bottle. It's frustrating, especially when it's already such a battle to get him to eat in the first place.

How do other parents deal with their kids not eating? Just stomach the idea that sometimes your kid may miss the occasional meal, or stop his own meal early?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Started out with me teaching her that the PS-button switched the TV on. Then it graduated to her emulating my grip with at the controller. Then I taught her how the sticks worked and how to navigate the menues. (I know I'm the one to blame for the pre-order.) Then whenever we watched something on the TV she wanted a controller so she got my SNES mini controller and she's been hammering away at that one for a few months (even if the tv isn't on and it's been coming with us on longer trips due to the ability to calm her down) so she's gotten quite good at pressing buttons. She's going to be a far better gamer than I am.
Damn, I'm raising a casual gamer, then, since he's an iPad user.

water_tempo

Oct 31, 2017
How do other parents deal with their kids not eating? Just stomach the idea that sometimes your kid may miss the occasional meal, or stop his own meal early?

I get that it would be frustrating and worry-some, but if it isn't impacting his health (not losing weight/enough dirty diapers), I guess I would chalk it up to personality or "a phase" and ride it out.

I also have a food related question. What should I be feeding my kid at 9 months? Or how can I get her more "real" food?

She is still predominately bottle fed (breast milk) and gets probably close to 30oz a day from it. She also takes about 4oz of puree at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. For snacks, she freaking loves those puff cereal things and we sometimes cut up a banana for her to munch on.

I feel like she should be trying more real food though. Mornings are really busy with my wife and I getting ready for work and my kid is at daycare from 8-5. We get home at 530, play for a little, start feeding her, and then try to get her to bed around 630ish. My wife and I make our dinner after our daughter goes down, so it is tough to feed her what we are having, because it doesn't exist when she would need it.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
I look forward to when mine is coordinated enough to make deliberate actions. Sometimes he bats his own bottle out of his mouth while drinking because he fidgets randomly, then cries because he no longer has the bottle. It's frustrating, especially when it's already such a battle to get him to eat in the first place.

I get that it would be frustrating and worry-some, but if it isn't impacting his health (not losing weight/enough dirty diapers), I guess I would chalk it up to personality or "a phase" and ride it out.

I also have a food related question. What should I be feeding my kid at 9 months? Or how can I get her more "real" food?

She is still predominately bottle fed (breast milk) and gets probably close to 30oz a day from it. She also takes about 4oz of puree at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. For snacks, she freaking loves those puff cereal things and we sometimes cut up a banana for her to munch on.

I feel like she should be trying more real food though. Mornings are really busy with my wife and I getting ready for work and my kid is at daycare from 8-5. We get home at 530, play for a little, start feeding her, and then try to get her to bed around 630ish. My wife and I make our dinner after our daughter goes down, so it is tough to feed her what we are having, because it doesn't exist when she would need it.

My daughter stopped eating breastmilk at 6 months. Not because she wasn't offered the boob but because she flat out refused it. (My wife was quite in distress at this time, I can't imagine how it must feel to have your nurture so rejected.)

Afterwards it was just food. Not that her stomach could actually digest it properly so it was a trying time. As I do the cooking at home and I'm pretty adamant on organic food made from the best sources she's been a real fine diner since day one. Only on one occasion has she been offered baby food, she took one bite and cried for an hour nonstop (I would too so I don't fault her.)

In the beginning it was mostly the really clear flavours that made an impression. Olives, halloumi, permesan, steam boiled vegetables (broccoli, carrots, peas, etc). Then we moved on to things she could grab herself, like the Swedish dish pyttipanna (diced potatoes and meat), diced sausages (falukorv, chorizo, blood sausage) and tortellini. Now she eats just about anything. On the whole I'd suggest starting with clear salty, sweet, umami, bitter and sour stuff to find out what the kid likes and then go from there.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's what we try to tell ourselves too. It's hard to stay focused on that when you're in the midst of it, though.

My daughter stopped eating breastmilk at 6 months. Not because she wasn't offered the boob but because she flat out refused it. (My wife was quite in distress at this time, I can't imagine how it must feel to have your nurture so rejected.)

Afterwards it was just food. Not that her stomach could actually digest it properly so it was a trying time. As I do the cooking at home and I'm pretty adamant on organic food made from the best sources she's been a real fine diner since day one. Only on one occasion has she been offered baby food, she took one bite and cried for an hour nonstop (I would too so I don't fault her.)

In the beginning it was mostly the really clear flavours that made an impression. Olives, halloumi, permesan, steam boiled vegetables (broccoli, carrots, peas, etc). Then we moved on to things she could grab herself, like the Swedish dish pyttipanna (diced potatoes and meat), diced sausages (falukorv, chorizo, blood sausage) and tortellini. Now she eats just about anything. On the whole I'd suggest starting with clear salty, sweet, umami, bitter and sour stuff to find out what the kid likes and then go from there.
My wife went through the rejection thing too. Having our kid scream in her face every time he was offered food really broke her down. It was awful. It turns out it was a feeding aversion that came from us unintentionally pressuring him to eat. We hired a consultant who walked us through a process that got him back on track.

We've since switched him to bottles and now he has finally seemingly stabilized about eating from them. No more confusion and fussiness about drinking. Fingers crossed that it stays that way, because the past two months have easily been the roughest in both our lives.

He looks pretty interested when he sees us eat now, so we'll probably start letting him try solids soon.

Last edited:

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone done breastfeeding while on antidepressants? Is it okay to do so? I heard that some antidepressants are fine for breastfeeding, but is there really no effect at all?

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Do babies regularly get constipated? He's had trouble pooping once in February and once this past weekend? I tried giving him a lot of water, which he took, plus I gave him some prune concentrate, but neither really worked. Is there anything extra I can do? His mom is starting to blame me when he gets constipated now.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Do babies regularly get constipated? He's had trouble pooping once in February and once this past weekend? I tried giving him a lot of water, which he took, plus I gave him some prune concentrate, but neither really worked. Is there anything extra I can do? His mom is starting to blame me when he gets constipated now.

They do, but how long has it been. When my daughter was a baby she wouldn't poop for several days. But when it came, oh boy, did it come out like a flood. There's a couple other tricks like warm baths and tummy messages or maybe change up their formua. I remember someone suggested to gently put a q-tip in her bum but I never did this.

Oct 25, 2017
My kid used to poop every day but at around 5 months it became a once or twice a week kind of thing.

We're getting him started on some soft foods, it's fun. That feeling when you taste food for the first time:
BncD1tx.gif

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
That might be a question for a doctor. When my wife tried breast feeding she was advised not to take certain medicines.
Makes sense. It's definitely a question for a doctor, but her doctor is frustratingly terse/hands-off, so I'm trying to do more research myself too.

So far, all I've found is that there are a few antidepressants that are considered relatively safe for breastfeeding. While a small amount does make it into breastmilk, there have been barely detectable effects on the baby. And the consensus seems to be that making a mom feel well enough to happily spend time with her baby is vastly more beneficial to the baby than any 2nd hand antidepressants the baby might get in the process.

I've heard that constipation is a common issue for formula-fed babies. If prune juice and the like don't work, you might need to try changing the formula you use until you find one that agrees with your baby. Why is his mom blaming you for it?

There's a baby "bicycle legs" thing I do with mine to relieve gas, but it seems it may help with constipation too. He likes it, so sometimes I just do it as a way of playing with him.

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/constip.htm

Last edited:

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
They do, but how long has it been. When my daughter was a baby she wouldn't poop for several days. But when it came, oh boy, did it come out like a flood. There's a couple other tricks like warm baths and tummy messages or maybe change up their formua. I remember someone suggested to gently put a q-tip in her bum but I never did this.
When he was a few months old, he'd poop very infrequently. Now at 10 months, whenever he poops it's hard and it hurts him to pass it. We did get a new formula this weekend. We tried the pre-made bottles, since we only get him during weekends. But he went through those very quickly. I'll maybe try the Q-tip next time if he doesn't poop next time he's with me.

I've heard that constipation is a common issue for formula-fed babies. If prune juice and the like don't work, you might need to try changing the formula you use until you find one that agrees with your baby. Why is his mom blaming you for it?

There's a baby "bicycle legs" thing I do with mine to relieve gas, but it seems it may help with constipation too. He likes it, so sometimes I just do it as a way of playing with him.

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/constip.htm
We tried a new formula method last weekend, so that maybe caused it. Same brand, but the liquid kind not the powder.

I'll try the bicycle legs too to see if that helps.

His mom will blame me for any little thing wrong. It's her way to exert dominance over me and to hammer home that I don't know what I'm doing.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
When he was a few months old, he'd poop very infrequently. Now at 10 months, whenever he poops it's hard and it hurts him to pass it. We did get a new formula this weekend. We tried the pre-made bottles, since we only get him during weekends. But he went through those very quickly. I'll maybe try the Q-tip next time if he doesn't poop next time he's with me.

We tried a new formula method last weekend, so that maybe caused it. Same brand, but the liquid kind not the powder.

I'll try the bicycle legs too to see if that helps.

His mom will blame me for any little thing wrong. It's her way to exert dominance over me and to hammer home that I don't know what I'm doing.
That sucks about the mom situation. For what it's worth, how can it be entirely your fault if you only spend weekends with him? If you only get him during weekends, then I assume he's spending part of the week with her too.

And it's a fucking kid. No one knows what they're doing. Everyone needs to just feel and guess their way through, including the kid, because every kid is different.

As for the formula, if he already pooped infrequently, maybe he already had mild constipation. You might want to try changing formula brands entirely.

Second, is he eating any solids? Some foods will harden poop and some softens it, so you could try taking away foods that harden them. The link I posted has some more info about that.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
We're halfway there! My wife is 20 weeks pregnant, and we have a big doctor's appointment on Friday where we'll get to see the little guy via ultrasound and stuff. We're pretty stoked.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
That sucks about the mom situation. For what it's worth, how can it be entirely your fault if you only spend weekends with him? If you only get him during weekends, then I assume he's spending part of the week with her too.

And it's a fucking kid. No one knows what they're doing. Everyone needs to just feel and guess their way through, including the kid, because every kid is different.

As for the formula, if he already pooped infrequently, maybe he already had mild constipation. You might want to try changing formula brands entirely.

Second, is he eating any solids? Some foods will harden poop and some softens it, so you could try taking away foods that harden them. The link I posted has some more info about that.
Yeah, I've made threads in the past about how much of a toxic person she is and how she tries to control situations to come out on top. Nevermind about that, less baby mama drama, and more baby help!

His infrequent pooping was when he was like 5-6 months old. For the most part, the last few months he's been usually pooping once a day. In February though, he was constipated for a while and he eventually went to the doctor's office to get something to help with that.

For solids, we haven't given him too much, just Cheerios and some baby snacks. He usually has his formula and some baby food.

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone done breastfeeding while on antidepressants? Is it okay to do so? I heard that some antidepressants are fine for breastfeeding, but is there really no effect at all?

Postpartum depression is hell especially if stacked on top of a long term diagnosis such as bi polar disorder. My wife is bi-polar and was on a carefully planned prescription after all 3 births and so far so good. Only a doctor can map what that looks like for you and which meds to take but the short answer to your question is: yes esp with regards to breast feeding

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
His infrequent pooping was when he was like 5-6 months old. For the most part, the last few months he's been usually pooping once a day. In February though, he was constipated for a while and he eventually went to the doctor's office to get something to help with that.

For solids, we haven't given him too much, just Cheerios and some baby snacks. He usually has his formula and some baby food.

Have you tried any of those fruit pouches they make or just straight up pureed fruit? Apples, peaches, pears, plums will all soften poop and help the kiddo poop. Hard pebbles tends to mean dehydration in babies so make sure he's got a bottle of water to sip on whenever he's thirsty. When you start introducing solids they tend to get stopped up. It happens, unless it continues for a prolonged period of time or there's blood when he finally does poop try not to worry about it and keep trying fruit. I'm not sure what baby snacks you're using but if this is the first time you're introducing a fruit the general rule is to do it one at a time in case of allergies.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Postpartum depression is hell especially if stacked on top of a long term diagnosis such as bi polar disorder. My wife is bi-polar and was on a carefully planned prescription after all 3 births and so far so good. Only a doctor can map what that looks like for you and which meds to take but the short answer to your question is: yes esp with regards to breast feeding
Thanks.

She just started trying an SSRI as an antidepressant, and my wife is feeling a ton of anxiety as a result. As I understand it, this is part of the adjustment process for the drug, and it typically lasts a few weeks before she starts to feel the beneficial effects of the medicine.

A few fucking weeks? She's a nervous wreck, and I'm turning into one just seeing her like this. I hope we can both hang on that long.

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks.

She just started trying an SSRI as an antidepressant, and my wife is feeling a ton of anxiety as a result. As I understand it, this is part of the adjustment process for the drug, and it typically lasts a few weeks before she starts to feel the beneficial effects of the medicine.

A few fucking weeks? She's a nervous wreck, and I'm turning into one just seeing her like this. I hope we can both hang on that long.

Yes, 2-3 weeks is my understanding. Again, not a doctor here but do be prepared to manage this stage of her emotions as it will likely require management for some time. I'm a right sided mind guy and approach things rationally and have made the mistake of arguing with my wife in a state of high emotions. Be patient with her and yourself. I wish you both and the young baby nothing but the best.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, 2-3 weeks is my understanding. Again, not a doctor here but do be prepared to manage this stage of her emotions as it will likely require management for some time. I'm a right sided mind guy and approach things rationally and have made the mistake of arguing with my wife in a state of high emotions. Be patient with her and yourself. I wish you both and the young baby nothing but the best.
Thanks again. We definitely need it. What do you mean by managing her emotions?

I've always tried my best to be patient and understanding, while avoiding talking about any of my own issues because now is not the time for her to think about anyone else's problems. When she worries about something, I try to be understanding of her worries, then I try to non-confrontationally remind her of the positive sides of whatever she's worried about, while being patient if/when she starts to push back because she's worried that the positive sides aren't enough. I try to help out with the house and the baby as much as I can, leaving as little work for her to do as possible so that she can at least get a little downtime here and there. She often asks me what to do because she's too tired/worried to make a decision, and then I try to give her my two cents while recommending whatever I think is best, without pressuring her.

I'm not sure what else to do besides that, besides making sure to keep myself healthy/sane so that I can keep supporting her.

Oct 26, 2017
I misspoke about "managing emotions". Rather , I meant to say that the may be a need to be on medication for some time. It's amazing how much can change after a pregnancy / delivery.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, okay. Yeah, our doctor told us that such antidepressants involve a pretty long time commitment, and we understand that.

I just hope it works, and starts working soon.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
These last few weeks (due date is 4/28) are kinda lame. We have everything put together and as much on hand to keep the baby in one piece as we can think of. I'd rather it just be here so my wife can get on the road to recovery. On the upside we finally decided on a name, something I didn't think she was ever going to be able to do.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
These last few weeks (due date is 4/28) are kinda lame. We have everything put together and as much on hand to keep the baby in one piece as we can think of. I'd rather it just be here so my wife can get on the road to recovery. On the upside we finally decided on a name, something I didn't think she was ever going to be able to do.
For this last stretch, since you already have everything together, try to spend some time with your wife.

You won't have the time and energy to date for a long time once the baby is out, so get some quality time in while you can.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Haven't stopped by since before our birth; our baby girl was born a few days after her due date and is 3 weeks old now! Labor sucked, went on for 44 hours total including early labor, but delivery was smooth as jelly!

First week was kind of rough; we thought we had breastfeeding down but she wasn't getting enough food which triggered a 4 hour long cry session and several calls to the local helpline. She had dropped about 10% of her birth weight. Ended up supplementing with EBM for a few days before going to the doc and getting her tongue-tie clipped which helped immensely. Now she's eating and dirtying diapers like nobodies business and by 10 days was above birth weight.

Most recent challenge is what seems like cluster feeding; several hours of fussiness, intermittent feeding and sleep before she conks out for the night. Some relatives are saying to use gripe water but I don't think its gas, since that usually resolves itself with some upright holding / bicycle kicks / whatever, while this seems to persist regardless of what we do. Sleep overnight has actually been pretty smooth though! She'll conk out for 4 hours, feed and then go another 3 or so.

I have 2.5 weeks left before going back to work, not really looking forward to it. :(

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Congrats to the new parents! We are three months away from our child arriving and I am beginning to freak out a bit about not being prepared.

Any suggestions for a good video baby monitor? :)

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
My son makes 6 months next week. I'm so in love with this kid.
Congrats!

Haven't stopped by since before our birth; our baby girl was born a few days after her due date and is 3 weeks old now! Labor sucked, went on for 44 hours total including early labor, but delivery was smooth as jelly!

First week was kind of rough; we thought we had breastfeeding down but she wasn't getting enough food which triggered a 4 hour long cry session and several calls to the local helpline. She had dropped about 10% of her birth weight. Ended up supplementing with EBM for a few days before going to the doc and getting her tongue-tie clipped which helped immensely. Now she's eating and dirtying diapers like nobodies business and by 10 days was above birth weight.

Most recent challenge is what seems like cluster feeding; several hours of fussiness, intermittent feeding and sleep before she conks out for the night. Some relatives are saying to use gripe water but I don't think its gas, since that usually resolves itself with some upright holding / bicycle kicks / whatever, while this seems to persist regardless of what we do. Sleep overnight has actually been pretty smooth though! She'll conk out for 4 hours, feed and then go another 3 or so.

I have 2.5 weeks left before going back to work, not really looking forward to it. :(
Some weight loss right after birth is normal, and so is supplementing if you dropped past a certain amount in the first few days. My kid went through the same thing. Scared us quite a lot at the time, but he got the weight back after a while.

Ours had a tongue tie too, and he definitely fed a lot better once he got that released. A tongue tie can also lead to taking in more air while breastfeeding, which could lead to gas. Check to make sure your latch is good when breastfeeding, since it helps make sure your kid isn't taking in air unnecessarily.

Look for local mom groups and the like. Being able to talk to people and establish a support network is incredibly important at this stage of parenting.

Congrats to the new parents! We are three months away from our child arriving and I am beginning to freak out a bit about not being prepared.

For prep, don't over-buy things like newborn-sized diapers or baby clothes. Your kid may outgrow that stuff really fast, so don't buy too much until you have a better idea of what you need, and how fast you go through consumables like wipes and diapers. Get like 1-2 weeks' worth of stuff, then figure out the rest as you go. You may go through some things faster or slower than expected.

I'm not sure how necessary a baby monitor is right away, when the crib/bassinet is in your bedroom at first. You'll be within sight of your baby almost all the time for the first few months.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
9 month old took her first independent steps yesterday. She isn't certain of it yet, but I am sure she will be setting the house on fire and guzzling cleaning chemicals in mere days.

She has also been eating carpet fuzzies all week despite our best efforts.

I will choose to assign a causal relationship here and see if I can get some celebrity endorsements of this new mobility enhancing diet.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
So apparently I'm going to be a parent.
Just got the news this morning.

It was something my wife and I have wanted for a while, but holy shit, now it's real, and I'm the one with the morning sickness, not her. ^_^;

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada

Don't be too worried! We're getting a hand-me-down monitor so I can't really vouch for any yet, but on preparedness: definitely get some newborn clothes and keep the receipts (or buy cheap)! I read tons about people who said their kiddo grew directly into 0-3 months stuff and beyond but ours is 3.5 weeks and still in her newborn stuff.

Look for local mom groups and the like. Being able to talk to people and establish a support network is incredibly important at this stage of parenting.

Yeah, it's something we're definitely considering (especially once I'm back to work). We're kind of antisocial so it's difficult though :p

So apparently I'm going to be a parent.
Just got the news this morning.

It was something my wife and I have wanted for a while, but holy shit, now it's real, and I'm the one with the morning sickness, not her. ^_^;

Congrats! How far along are you guys?

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats! How far along are you guys?

A bit over 3 weeks. So basically, 8 months+ to go, and I'm already a wreck after one day of knowing. D:
Psychology is messed up. All of a sudden I'm concerned my wife is going to get broken crossing the street or if I look at her too intensely. ^_^;

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
So tomorrow at 7am we're going in to have my wife induced. It's our first - any secret tips or tricks to the first few days that you all want to pass along?

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
If your wife plans on breastfeeding I recommend buying some lanolin cause the first two weeks are the roughest on nipples. Sleep whenever you can, seriously. Newborns often feed every two hours, and that's every two hours starting from when they start feeding. My son would feed for 30-45 minutes sleep for about an hour then wake up for more food. This gets better, especially when her milk comes in, but that can take a day or three. Sleep. You might want to make sure she remembers to eat too, little snacks are good to have, something that you two can just grab. The poop is interesting at first, like tar, it's normal. Sleep. Swaddle works for some babies, shooshing can work on it's own or in combination. The womb is a cozy, loud place, with food on demand, your baby will miss this, your wife might too.

Good luck!