• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Interesting is a mild way to put meconium poops. They're awful! Such a pain to clean up, thank god they only last a few days max.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
So tomorrow at 7am we're going in to have my wife induced. It's our first - any secret tips or tricks to the first few days that you all want to pass along?
Read this for soothing crying babies. You'll need these a lot. I found my baby responded well to shushing and gentle bouncing while held in my arms. Walking achieves a different type of bounce that some babies like too. https://www.happiestbaby.com/blogs/blog/the-5-s-s-for-soothing-babies

This is a 3-part prenatal class on Youtube. If you haven't done prenatal classes yet, this is a good way to get some info. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7YucfJuziU

If you're breastfeeding, don't panic if your wife's milk doesn't come in right away. It takes time, and the baby doesn't need much for the first few days. It starts off looking watery (called colostrum) for a few days before it starts to look like milk. Take a breastfeeding class if you haven't already - breastfeeding is REALLY complicated, and full of unintuitive things. A lot of things you learn in a class can save you a lot of trouble down the line.

Get over any feelings of ickiness that you might have regarding bodily fluids. Your baby will pee on you. Be prepared for things like that, and don't shy away from them. No matter how gross anything seems, do what needs to be done.

It is NORMAL for the baby to lose weight in the first days after birth. You will get a followup visit to the hospital after the baby comes out to see how he or she is doing. If the weight loss is more than expected, you may need some formula to supplement while the milk comes in. While it's scary to see, this is also common and easily handled.

Once the baby is out, keep your relationship with your wife peaceful. The baby matters first. Any and all minor issues that normally come from living together can and should be put on hold for the time being, like leaving socks around or whatever. Both of you will be incredibly tired fast (her more than you), so it's important to cut your wife a lot of slack. If you can let something slide, let it slide for now.

You will have to rethink how you and your wife spend time. Basically, free time for both of you, for the foreseeable future, is now incredibly fleeting. Keep in mind that any time you take for yourself means you are leaving your wife to take care of the kid, and vice versa. Be very aware of that. You may want a break, but so does she. If you're not too tired, offer to take care of the baby for a while so that your wife can get some time to herself, even if it's just for a nap.

Make sure you're on the same page with your wife about how to care for the baby. I hear a lot of stories about couples who get frustrated with their partners because oftentimes, one person kind of wings it while the other does research and wants to do things in a very specific way. Talk it over, and make sure you don't clash in your ideas about what to do in each situation.

Last edited:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Finally felt the baby kicking from the outside just yesterday. Feels a lot more real with that! 22 weeks in and a lot of work to do preparing, but I'm sure that'll just fly by.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks all. We've taken a ton of classes, read a million books and everything. So we're as ready as can be, I hope. We're going on hour three of the Pitocin and it's just now starting to cramp noticeably.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Thanks all. We've taken a ton of classes, read a million books and everything. So we're as ready as can be, I hope. We're going on hour three of the Pitocin and it's just now starting to cramp noticeably.

Might be a bit late but fwiw, my wife found that her cramps/contractions went from 0 to 100 VERY rapidly once she went onto the drip, so be aware if you're not already that this can happen. Good luck :)

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
You probably already know this, but you may need to be the one communicating you and your wife's wishes with your doctor when the baby is nearly out. Your wife won't be in any shape to make decisions by then, so make sure you work out what you both want in advance so that you can speak on her behalf.

Some doctors are pricks (I hope yours is good) and will just do their own thing/fail to communicate with you, which leaves it to you to take the initiative and ask questions.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Things continue to go pretty well. Water broken around 1, babies just now down enough that she can get her epidural soon, thankfully. Now we just need this nurse to stop musing to herself about how people are the sex that's on their birth certificate, what's next people wanting to call themselves dogs etc. Keep your transphobia to yourself lady.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Ah, what possesses people to think their opinions in such matters are interesting, regardless of direction. Good luck with things!

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Baby finally decided to show up at 4:10, 21 hours after being induced. She's big! 8lbs 8oz. and 21.5" inches long. Her and mom are doing perfectly though so I'm more than happy. Just hoping she'll be able to spend a few hours asleep or in the nursery so mom can actually sleep for the first time in 27 hours now.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Baby finally decided to show up at 4:10, 21 hours after being induced. She's big! 8lbs 8oz. and 21.5" inches long. Her and mom are doing perfectly though so I'm more than happy. Just hoping she'll be able to spend a few hours asleep or in the nursery so mom can actually sleep for the first time in 27 hours now.

Congrats!

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations! Definitely try to get some sleep.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
We're gonna try! She's pretty chill so far, so hopefully she will sleep a bit now that she's back from all her prodding and is freshly changed and swaddled.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
We're gonna try! She's pretty chill so far, so hopefully she will sleep a bit now that she's back from all her prodding and is freshly changed and swaddled.
Practice swaddling if you haven't already. You're gonna do it a lot, and it totally doesn't go as smoothly as it does in any tutorial video you've ever seen. Babies are little escape artists.

If swaddling becomes too much trouble, consider getting a sleep sack. Much less fuss.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
We got it right-ish on like our fifth try. Watching a nurse do it is like watching your one aunt wrap a Christmas gift then comparing it to your awful, awful attempts. We do have a wide selection of other sleeping outfits when we get back home.

VentusGallius

Oct 25, 2017
For those that let their kids watch youtube for short bursts looks like they're finally doing something about all those trash kids videos that are both creepy or terrible (the ones that just put spiderman/elsa/anything in there to trick kids). They're adding an option to set your account to only be able to access channels reviewed by a human and you can check boxes on a channel to channel basis as to what will show up.

My daughter was really big into Little Baby Bum when she was little she loved the music and characters but sometimes after a video it would go to some pretty strange stuff.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For those that let their kids watch youtube for short bursts looks like they're finally doing something about all those trash kids videos that are both creepy or terrible (the ones that just put spiderman/elsa/anything in there to trick kids). They're adding an option to set your account to only be able to access channels reviewed by a human and you can check boxes on a channel to channel basis as to what will show up.

My daughter was really big into Little Baby Bum when she was little she loved the music and characters but sometimes after a video it would go to some pretty strange stuff.
I've switched over to Netflix (which has Little Baby Bum, among many other good shows: Super Why, Little Einsteins, etc.) and the Dave & Ava app. It works way, way better than rolling the dice with YouTube.

VentusGallius

Oct 25, 2017
I've switched over to Netflix (which has Little Baby Bum, among many other good shows: Super Why, Little Einsteins, etc.) and the Dave & Ava app. It works way, way better than rolling the dice with YouTube.

Good to know thanks! She recently started her Daniel tiger adventures and I've been watching that on prime video but need to check out Netflix.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When did you guys upgrade to the next car seat? The wee man has his legs over the edge of the new born one so thinking were due an upgrade ha

I'm relieved that others are watching Little Baby Bum. I was kinda creeped out by it at first (all those dead eyes and that lamb with backward bending knees...), but it's pretty all right. Puffin Rock is good too. Sarah & Duck is the true GOAT, though.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
When did you guys upgrade to the next car seat? The wee man has his legs over the edge of the new born one so thinking were due an upgrade ha
I want to say six months, but I honestly don't really remember. I think a good time would be when he can sit in a stroller, since you won't be able to just click on the carrier from the car seat base anymore (assuming that's what you do now).

I'm relieved that others are watching Little Baby Bum. I was kinda creeped out by it at first (all those dead eyes and that lamb with backward bending knees...), but it's pretty all right. Puffin Rock is good too. Sarah & Duck is the true GOAT, though.
To be fair, I think Dave & Ava is better in every way, but LBB being on Netflix is the real kicker.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Check the manual that comes with your car seat, or look online on the manufacturer's website if you don't have the manual anymore. There should be a recommended weight/size limit in there.

If his legs are over then yeah, you're probably due.

I want to say six months, but I honestly don't really remember. I think a good time would be when he can sit in a stroller, since you won't be able to just click on the carrier from the car seat base anymore (assuming that's what you do now).

To be fair, I think Dave & Ava is better in every way, but LBB being on Netflix is the real kicker.

Dave & Ava? Better than S & D? Color me intrigued. Shame it doesn't sound like it's on Netflix, though.

Browny

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Duggie, Numberblocks whilst we're getting ready for school / nursery.

Sarah and Duck just before bed.

Trap Door has just appeared on Amazon Prime, which is a blast from the past. And my 5yo is watching Tom & Jerry, which is amusing.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ah the joys, more car seat shopping....felt like i only did this

have a feeling the wee man is gonna skip crawling and scooting his butt along altogether....seems to be as lazy as his father haha

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Oh god, yes. I put on LBB one day because I was desperate for something that wasn't Chuggington, and my TinyMG fell in love with it. It's super creepy at first, but after a while, it has charm.

I like Dave and Ava, and I got the learning apps today to have the Tiny try.

Hey Duggie, Numberblocks whilst we're getting ready for school / nursery.

Sarah and Duck just before bed.

Trap Door has just appeared on Amazon Prime, which is a blast from the past. And my 5yo is watching Tom & Jerry, which is amusing.

I've been meaning to say this forever, but I love that you have a Sarah and Duck avatar.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Anyone else have trouble getting their little ones to sleep in their separate sleeping area (bassinet/crib/whatever) early on? Ours is 1 month old now but won't sleep in her space for more than a few minutes anymore. She was sleeping for a couple hours when we first brought her home as long as we waited for her to hit deep sleep but now we've been basically forced into cosleeping to get any decent length.

We've tried a variety of approaches: waiting upwards of an hour in deep sleep before putting her down, putting her down as soon as she's tired, swaddled and not, pacifier, on her side, etc. I think she wakes due to reflux and won't fall back asleep unless she's being held too.

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else have trouble getting their little ones to sleep in their separate sleeping area (bassinet/crib/whatever) early on? Ours is 1 month old now but won't sleep in her space for more than a few minutes anymore. She was sleeping for a couple hours when we first brought her home as long as we waited for her to hit deep sleep but now we've been basically forced into cosleeping to get any decent length.

We've tried a variety of approaches: waiting upwards of an hour in deep sleep before putting her down, putting her down as soon as she's tired, swaddled and not, pacifier, on her side, etc. I think she wakes due to reflux and won't fall back asleep unless she's being held too.

We had some problems early on with both of ours. One month is too early for sleep training so with our first we ended up having her sleep in her bouncer while we slept in the couch beside her. The problem with that was she would wake up when the vibration stopped and it was on a twenty five minute timer so we literally slept in twenty five minute increments. Do not recommend. With our second we got this rockabye thing that craddled him close and would vibrate forever, that was easily the best $50 we spent. Sadly he grew out of it by six weeks. We moved him to his crib after that and I slept in the bed in his room, often I would end up lying him down near me on the bed because I was just so tired and he would sleep that way. I wasn't close enough to crush him but he sensed and could see that I was near so I guess that was enough. By three months they were both fine in their cribs, but those first three months are rough. Hang in there, things will get better.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017

Agree that one month is too early for sleep training.

Not sure if it'll help, but try putting a folded cloth under the bassinet to make her sleep on a very slight incline. Maybe that'll help with the reflux.

A white noise machine might help too. Sometimes they help soothe the baby to sleep, and they help mask ambient noise that might wake her. You could buy a white noise machine (avoid sleep sheeps because they only run on a timer and not continuously), or you could just use a fan or something.

We used to sleep with the bassinet in the same bed as us. Helped make sure that neither of us would squish the kid, and I think he felt safer knowing that we were nearby.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
We co-slept for the first six months. Sleep required me to bounce her around the kitchen while listening to music with a driving bass drum before passing a sleeping baby off to mom in the bed to latch before fully waking. Good times.

Only time I came close to squishing her was when she was brought to bed when I was already asleep. Being aware of where she is before you go to sleep was enough to prevent rolling on to her.

Sleep training is on-going at 9 months with various successes and regressions (but she has been sleeping in the crib every night). Naps have been fine for a while (except about once a week, and the last four days have been a nightmare due to teething), but bedtime is a shitshow.

Anyway, do whatever works for now. If you think it is reflux you can get medicine for that.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Thanks for the stories and advice guys! For white noise we do typically have the fan on (its been hot inside, so basically necessary lol) and used apps on our phones.

I have been thinking a bit about one of those rocker-type things. Since I have a solid suggestion on which now maybe I'll just go pick that up. Can always return (as long as she doesn't throw up all over it :lol:)! We're going to the doc today for our checkup so I'll ask about reflux too, maybe wedging her mattress might be enough!

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
That Homedics is what we used when the kids were young, we probably had a half dozen of them over the years. Now that the kids are older they've upgraded to these ridiculous thingsto try to keep them on proper school wake up schedule (6am for 7am bus).

Also Yo Gabba Gabba was the bee's knees for my kids, although they mostly watched Attenborough documentaries and ballets because we're shameless fascists about media.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It's about 6 months, and we've survived. Things have gotten stable, which is something I never thought would happen again a few months ago.

/o/

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the stories and advice guys! For white noise we do typically have the fan on (its been hot inside, so basically necessary lol) and used apps on our phones.

I have been thinking a bit about one of those rocker-type things. Since I have a solid suggestion on which now maybe I'll just go pick that up. Can always return (as long as she doesn't throw up all over it :lol:)! We're going to the doc today for our checkup so I'll ask about reflux too, maybe wedging her mattress might be enough!

I've been upgrading our Google Home devices, so I moved one of the spare Home Minis into the kid's room. The sound quality is unpalatable for "grown-up" music, but it's good enough for children's songs and white noise.

We used a Rock and Play (in our bedroom) at night time during the six months and it was a life saver (get one with an automated motor).

CHN28_01

During the day, we used a Fisher Price Cradle 'n Swing (in the living room), which was also extremely helpful.

BGB34_01

Both of the above have a weight limit of 25 pounds and shouldn't be used once the baby is mobile, so be aware that they're purchases without a great deal of long-term application. If you can buy/borrow them used from a friend (or otherwise), that's the way to go.

Last edited:

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
My 7 month old is getting really fussy after learning to crawl two weeks ago. His pack and play doesn't allow him enough room to move around, and he keeps trying to crawl in his crib while bonking his hand against the railing (which leads to crying of course). I've been looking at playpens to give him some room, and hopefully that will satisfy his need for constantly wanting to crawl. For you guys that have (or had) them, do you suggest putting some sort of padding underneath the pen area?

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Looks like the Rock and Play isn't actually sold in Canada. Will have to look into some alternatives but I don't think they sell anything 'designed for sleep' that has an infant anywhere but on a flat surface here.

It's about 6 months, and we've survived. Things have gotten stable, which is something I never thought would happen again a few months ago.

/o/

Grats! Those words are inspiring haha.

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a suggestion for something that is sturdy enough to not be pulled down to keep my daughter from going into my tv area with my consoles and speakers. I keep one of those plastic playpen gates up in front of that spot, but she just pulls it down.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a suggestion for something that is sturdy enough to not be pulled down to keep my daughter from going into my tv area with my consoles and speakers. I keep one of those plastic playpen gates up in front of that spot, but she just pulls it down.

Why not something like that but bolted into the wall? I'm sure there are a million products like that but we bought this one...

North States Superyard 3-in-1 Metal Gate https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000U5FOT2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_T-07Ab5GKT9CW

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Logan is a little less than two weeks away from 11 months, and 1 year is just around the corner. The time has certain gone by very quickly. Also, this past weekend I noticed that he's started humming. He only does it with his sleepytime bear. It's a bear that vibrates and plays lullabies for 10 minutes to get babies to sleep. He only hums at songs where the person is humming and not all the time.

Dr_LawyerCop

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any advice on fighting a medical bill? For our 20 week ultrasound we went to Cleveland Clinic because it was in network, but they charge a facilities fee and after insurance we're left with a $700+ bill for a routine prenatal procedure. We've since had 2 ultrasounds at the hospital group we're delivering through and have only had to pay co-pays. My wife called both insurance and the clinic when we first got the bill but I have no idea how to approach getting this resolved. My wife has great insurance. I feel like our insurance should attempt to resolve this with Cleveland clinic because there's no way that's an acceptable bill to pass to us.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Nearing the end of the first trimester...and we're going to Hawaii for 7 days for a trip we had scheduled/paid for long before we found out we were pregnant...

So... I understand my wife can eat some fish, but not all fish?
Pretty much all there is to eat on the islands is poke', spam, and lava right?
Is poke' on the list of acceptable fish?
What to women who live on the islands even eat when pregnant to avoid all the fish?

Suggestions?

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Nearing the end of the first trimester...and we're going to Hawaii for 7 days for a trip we had scheduled/paid for long before we found out we were pregnant...

What to women who live on the islands even eat when pregnant to avoid all the fish?

Suggestions?

Joke post?

She'll be fine.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm not a doctor, but pregnant women around the world (even those in lower-infant-mortality-rate-than-the-USA counties) eat plenty of fish with no issues. US guidance is intended to minimize consumption of fish from mercury-polluted waters (especially fish more likely to have high mercury levels) and rotten/poorly-prepaired raw fish.

Clean fish is not problematic.

Does anyone have any advice on fighting a medical bill?

Good luck. I've never had any success.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017

Suggestions?
Best to ask a doctor, but I imagine that as long as the food is well cooked and prepared in a sanitary manner, it's fine to eat.

My doctor recommended that we avoid smoked or cured meats, as those have a slightly higher chance of food poisoning, and unborn babies don't deal well with food poisoning. So avoid things like smoked salmon and ham.

As for fish, as long as the fish is not high on the food chain (which means it accumulates things like mercury from eating smaller fish), it's probably fine, and even fish higher on the food chain are usually okay to eat as long as you don't eat them too often.