• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Decent tips and experience The Albatross , but I do think everyone's experience can be quite different.

In our case my wife was pretty badly injured from the delivery and needed a walker for the first two weeks afterwards. She couldn't move the baby anywhere. We had to move our life to our first floor of our house. I personally had to be there 100% of the time to help get the baby from bassinet to breast feeding and back. I also had to do every chore we've got including animal care and such all while also working some hours to keep things afloat at my job. During the first week I got, no shit, 20 hours of sleep at most. We didn't get to even attempt to sleep in our own bed for two weeks. Then after getting into a decent groove we had to take him to the hospital where we had to stay for two weeks. So we had to adjust to that. We have a baby with pretty severe gas issues and reflux so he needs meds twice a day and can get pretty fussy for no real reason. I know all babies can be like this, but that adds to it.

Not trying to say parenting is impossible. We actually have a pretty great thing going now and have got into the swing of things pretty well. Just that you can't really take your experience as the be all end all. A lot of the women I know actually got injured and had some pretty hard times healing. Getting time off work can be a major hassle. Some babies are legit fucking nuts.

Life does change a lot after a baby though. If you are able to play video games a ton beforehand you can kiss that goodbye. Going out is a hassle. Doing things with friends can be nearly impossible and/or dangerous for immunity of your baby. It's hard to find time to do things you love other than the baby. Hell, we spend from 8PM at night until 9AM the next day preparing for bed, trying to sleep, and getting things started in the morning. That's 13 hours every day and we still don't get even 7 hours of actual sleep. I work from 9AM until 5 or 6PM then get dinner ready and eat but that's obviously an endeavor that can be easy or hard depending on his nap. Then right afterwards we try to figure out how to get his meds in and it's basically 8PM time to get the wind down to sleep started.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Just went for the 20 week ultrasound yesterday. It's been a while since I'd been to an appointment with my wife, so yesterday was really cool to actually see features, and limbs and all that.

After two miscarriages, we're so happy to have a healthy fetus and all the tests so far have been negative, so we're just counting the time til the late April due date. It's getting real now.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Just went for the 20 week ultrasound yesterday. It's been a while since I'd been to an appointment with my wife, so yesterday was really cool to actually see features, and limbs and all that.

After two miscarriages, we're so happy to have a healthy fetus and all the tests so far have been negative, so we're just counting the time til the late April due date. It's getting real now.

Congrats! That 20 week was so great. Seeing everything was amazing and knowing you've hit a pretty substantial mark can be a massive relief.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
2 month appointment is done. We've grown 4 inches since birth and up almost 4 pounds. Well really 5 since we lost a pound right after birth.

Doctor is very happy with everything and his vaccinations went as well as they can. Thankfully little man passes out basically right after he gets in his car seat.

Oct 27, 2017
12 week scan done on my twins yesterday. Everything looks good, they're both growing, two strong heart beats, and seeing them moving around was just incredible.

Still hasn't sunk in yet to be honest.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Little man has found his hand again. It's in his mouth half the time he's awake now. He did it when he was born but stopped shortly after but he's rediscovered it.

Funny thing is it's only his left hand. My wife and I are right handed so we'll see where that goes.

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I know ERA hates on the mall but what a godsend mall's with a free playground are in the wintertime. Free indoor entertainment and interaction with other kids.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Aiden is 11 weeks old and sleeping through the night. Goes to bed somewhere between 8-9. We started right before Christmas so that was a nice gift. Granted he was only getting up once a night before that. He starts day care right after the New Year so this weekend is our last hurrah before then.
ig9B8h8.png

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I'm a (pretty new) foster parent to a 7 year old girl and a 2 year old boy. Christmas was definitely a different experience with them.

In my adulthood, I've fallen out of love with Christmas because I can comfortably buy anything that most people would want to buy me and I see the people I see at Christmas sometimes several times of week so there isn't that "getting to see everyone" feeling. The look in their eyes was amazing. Also, we converted the 7 yr old into a Santa believer.

Unfortunately, my wife is having a hard time really getting into the parenting thing. She's the one that really pushed for us to do it but she's just having a hard time with it even though she's usually pretty good with kids (former teacher). I think a lot of it is because she's a perfectionist and as you know, when parenting, you just have to let things go.

Overall it's be fun so far. Thanks for the thread, I may be asking for some advice in the near future. Let me know if anyone is interested in our has questions about foster parenting.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Man, I know ERA hates on the mall but what a godsend mall's with a free playground are in the wintertime. Free indoor entertainment and interaction with other kids.
My godsend has been the YMCA. I was already a member but for only $10/m they get access to a nice pool, classes like swimming and basketball. When I need to workout or need a some time to finish work I can drop them in this amazing kids area for a couple hours. Free WiFi and power outlets for when I do need to work, etc. There is also financial aid for people who can't afford membership fees.

They also have something called parent night out where you can take them to the kids area and pay $16 to babysit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
My goodness had been the YMCA. I was already a member but for only $10/m they get access to a nice pool, classes like swimming and basketball. When I need to workout or need a some time to finish work I can drop them in this amazing kids area for a couple hours. Free WiFi and power outlets for when I do need to work, etc. There is also financial aid for people who can't afford membership fees.

They also have something called parent night out where you can take them to the kids area and pay $16 to babysit.
That's not bad at all. My gym has a kids zone type thing but it's only open a couple hours a day. Also congrats on becoming a parent!

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
I will be joining you all soon. Wife is do in 2 to 4 weeks (were on week 35 but they won't let her go to 40 due to complications). He will be our first after many years of trying. Were both excited and terrified as soon to be parents. Any advice is welcomed.

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I will be joining you all soon. Wife is do in 2 to 4 weeks (were on week 35 but they won't let her go to 40 due to complications). He will be our first after many years of trying. Were both excited and terrified as soon to be parents. Any advice is welcomed.
Make sure the baby's room and the car seat are ready now. Once your wife goes in to labor it'll be a whirlwind and you'll just want to sleep and spend time with the baby once he comes.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Nursery is good and he will be sleeping in our room for the first month or so. Car seat has yet to go in but planning doing so today or tomorrow. Were still looking for another car to replace hers since she drives a tiny hatchback but mine will work for now since were both taking leave from work.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I keep getting frustrated with my 1 year old. He's exploring, and getting into everything. I don't yell at him, but I do catch myself almost constantly telling him no for just about everything he's doing that he shouldn't be. I'm a bit of perfectionist, and I've heard from numerous parents (including my wife) that you cannot have that kind of mindset when it comes to children. I just have no idea on how to teach him boundaries, and I feel he's too young for discipline (like time-outs and such). Any suggestions?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

Make use of the nursery while you're still at the hospital after delivering. You have one or two nights where a load of extremely competent baby caregivers are on hand to take it off of you for a bit so your wife especially can rest and recover. It felt weird having them wheel her away for a few hours but it helped our mental state considerably after we were up like 30 hours straight.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Make use of the nursery while you're still at the hospital after delivering. You have one or two nights where a load of extremely competent baby caregivers are on hand to take it off of you for a bit so your wife especially can rest and recover. It felt weird having them wheel her away for a few hours but it helped our mental state considerably after we were up like 30 hours straight.

I keep seeing this, but it's definitely not a thing they really "offer" everywhere anymore. I mean if you demand it I'm sure they'll take your child, but I think most hospitals aren't offering. They want you to take your baby and start getting used to things right then and there. I fucking wish they could have taken ours so we could have got some sleep in the hospital but instead we had him the whole time and they busted into the fucking room every hour no matter what we put on the door to leave us the fuck alone. I think if you're breast feeding they especially don't want to take the baby, as it has to feed every half hour to hour or so and they want mom to keep at it so they can see how she's doing and coach things if it's not working well.

The hospital was a fucking nightmare scenario for sleep. It wasn't great when we got home but it was eons better.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I keep seeing this, but it's definitely not a thing they really "offer" everywhere anymore. I mean if you demand it I'm sure they'll take your child, but I think most hospitals aren't offering. They want you to take your baby and start getting used to things right then and there. I fucking wish they could have taken ours so we could have got some sleep in the hospital but instead we had him the whole time and they busted into the fucking room every hour no matter what we put on the door to leave us the fuck alone. I think if you're breast feeding they especially don't want to take the baby, as it has to feed every half hour to hour or so and they want mom to keep at it so they can see how she's doing and coach things if it's not working well.

The hospital was a fucking nightmare scenario for sleep. It wasn't great when we got home but it was eons better.

Yeah I remember you had a particularly horrible time. It was something suggested several times to me, though, and our hospital also stressed several times that it was an option for us.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I remember you had a particularly horrible time. It was something suggested several times to me, though, and our hospital also stressed several times that it was an option for us.

With ours the nurses were pretty apprehensive to even take him for a few minutes. They really emphasized him being with us. I think one flat out said that's what they do so new parents can start things out with help rather than leaning on the help and getting home to panic because they don't know how to do shit.

That approach would be fine with me if they'd leave us the fuck alone for a bit though, lol. I talked to multiple people in my family and they all said the hospital stay was pretty much the same: an absolute nightmare for sleep and they couldn't wait to get home.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Man I'm glad we had the experience we did then lol. Like they obviously wanted us to have the baby most of the time, but were happy to take it for three or four hours at night so my wife could sleep. They also didn't check up on us at night randomly. Shout out to Riverside Methodist I guess.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
I keep getting frustrated with my 1 year old. He's exploring, and getting into everything. I don't yell at him, but I do catch myself almost constantly telling him no for just about everything he's doing that he shouldn't be. I'm a bit of perfectionist, and I've heard from numerous parents (including my wife) that you cannot have that kind of mindset when it comes to children. I just have no idea on how to teach him boundaries, and I feel he's too young for discipline (like time-outs and such). Any suggestions?

This happens with my daughter too. You definitely need to have a mental state of "well, I'm going to let him do this since he won't get hurt" but then you also need to make sure you're removing things that CAN hurt him if he gets into it. For instance, the zone my daughter plays in is our living room (we live in a small NYC apartment). Everything she can access is safe for her. Everything else is either out of reach, padded if she falls on it, or in another zone, behind a safety gate. So, in theory, she really can't do anything that can hurt her, or access anything we don't want her to access (i.e. is breakable). So she can explore anything she wants to explore, because it's a safe zone.

We also try to not always use the word "no" unless it's a dangerous thing. So, if she finds, say, a pen, and of course sticks it in her mouth, I'll say to her "I understand you want to suck on that pen but it's not safe for you to do that. Here, suck on this teething toy instead." She's 13 months old and can understand what I'm saying, so after enough repetition it usually sticks.

I don't think punishment is viable for kids this young - they don't have the capacity to understand why it's happening. So it's a gentle correction rather than a harsh punishment.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm glad we had the experience we did then lol. Like they obviously wanted us to have the baby most of the time, but were happy to take it for three or four hours at night so my wife could sleep. They also didn't check up on us at night randomly. Shout out to Riverside Methodist I guess.

What'd they do for feeding? Bottle?

I'm not there yet but my wife just sent me this article the other day on the subject and it's kind of what we'll be following when we get there.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
This happens with my daughter too. You definitely need to have a mental state of "well, I'm going to let him do this since he won't get hurt" but then you also need to make sure you're removing things that CAN hurt him if he gets into it. For instance, the zone my daughter plays in is our living room (we live in a small NYC apartment). Everything she can access is safe for her. Everything else is either out of reach, padded if she falls on it, or in another zone, behind a safety gate. So, in theory, she really can't do anything that can hurt her, or access anything we don't want her to access (i.e. is breakable). So she can explore anything she wants to explore, because it's a safe zone.

We also try to not always use the word "no" unless it's a dangerous thing. So, if she finds, say, a pen, and of course sticks it in her mouth, I'll say to her "I understand you want to suck on that pen but it's not safe for you to do that. Here, suck on this teething toy instead." She's 13 months old and can understand what I'm saying, so after enough repetition it usually sticks.

I don't think punishment is viable for kids this young - they don't have the capacity to understand why it's happening. So it's a gentle correction rather than a harsh punishment.

Thanks. We keep dangerous stuff out of reach, covered up, or behind a safety gate. I think I may just need to relax a little and let him be a kid instead of trying to constantly correct his behavior. Our big ones are reaching in the kitchen trash can, and that he likes to grab the glasses off of our faces. Those usually get the stern "NO" since he can't understand why he gets that kind of reaction for doing those things.

This is good stuff combined with the above post. Going to try these methods out tonight to ease the frustration. Thanks.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I spent 2 hours last night looking for my car keys to move my car after getting everyone to sleep. I assumed It was just me being forgetful again but I asked my 7yr foster daughter if she had seen them when I accidentally woke her up. She said to check the "LOL Doll"(we've been buying so many of these little things) box on the lower shelf. I looked through it not seeing it but my memory triggered and I literally saw a vision of the 2yr old move something from the box area to the doll house beside it and close the door. Yep, In the doll house.

I need to get better about leaving important things on his level.

(I added an hour to the 7 yr olds fire tablet for helping me.)

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm back to being a mess again...

We had the 20 week ultrasound and the doctor found an "echogenic intracardiac focus" while viewing the heart and now I'm becoming a statistician...

She tried to assure us that this calcification in the heart usually means nothing without other chromosomal abormality markers (of which she found none) but we need to keep watching it, so we get to do monthly ultrasounds for the next 4 months till the baby is born... because it might go away, which would be great...or it might not and be fine... Or it might not and be bad.

And of course I went to the internet for more information...
3-5% of normal pregnancies have an echogenic intracardiac focus visible at the 20 week ultrasound... And finding one at the 20 week ultrasound is only indicative of a 1% chance of a chromosomal abnormality (Down Syndrome) in a "low risk pregnancy".

Problem is, I don't know if we're a low risk pregnancy or not. My wife is 35, so that puts us in the high risk zone, maybe?

I mean there's nothing I can do, so I need to just let it go and wait... But that's worst part of pregnancy, all the waiting...

Anyone have any experience with this?

Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm back to being a mess again...

We had the 20 week ultrasound and the doctor found an "echogenic intracardiac focus" while viewing the heart and now I'm becoming a statistician...

She tried to assure us that this calcification in the heart usually means nothing without other chromosomal abormality markers (of which she found none) but we need to keep watching it, so we get to do monthly ultrasounds for the next 4 months till the baby is born... because it might go away, which would be great...or it might not and be fine... Or it might not and be bad.

And of course I went to the internet for more information...
3-5% of normal pregnancies have an echogenic intracardiac focus visible at the 20 week ultrasound... And finding one at the 20 week ultrasound is only indicative of a 1% chance of a chromosomal abnormality (Down Syndrome) in a "low risk pregnancy".

Problem is, I don't know if we're a low risk pregnancy or not. My wife is 35, so that puts us in the high risk zone, maybe?

I mean there's nothing I can do, so I need to just let it go and wait... But that's worst part of pregnancy, all the waiting...

Anyone have any experience with this?

Sorry to hear you're going through this. Is it too late to take the Harmony test or something similar? It tests for chromosomal problems.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to hear you're going through this? Is it too late to take the Harmony test or something similar? It tests for chromosomal problems.

I'm not sure. I think we might be too late for that, but we'd probably not opt for it anyway. As I understand it, there's a risk of miscarriage with fetal chromosomal testing, and we've already had one of those. I'd hate to think we caused a miscarriage in a viable kid because we had to go checking for chromosomal abnormalities to assauge our curiosity...

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What about NIPT? That shouldn't present any risk and is a lot more accurate than 1%. The only thing is that your insurance may not cover it, so you'd have to ask.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure. I think we might be too late for that, but we'd probably not opt for it anyway. As I understand it, there's a risk of miscarriage with fetal chromosomal testing, and we've already had one of those. I'd hate to think we caused a miscarriage in a viable kid because we had to go checking for chromosomal abnormalities to assauge our curiosity...

The Harmony test is non-invasive, it's simply a blood test from mom, doesn't go near the baby at all.

Crashnburn85

Oct 25, 2017
California
Hey ParentERA, first time poster but occasionally browse the OT. I have a son who is almost 2 and my wife and I recently had him evaluated for concerns on his speech development. He probably says about 3 dozen words, but I'd say only a fraction of those come unprompted, and of those he uses, he usually pronounces fragmented or with only 1 syllable. He mostly only ever says one word at a time. He's been in home care all his life, so hasn't had much socialization outside some play dates and a little day care when my wife goes to a MOPS group.

We're working with a specialist to spend 3 hours a week learning methods that we can utilize with him to "bring out" his vocal language. He does a lot of gesturing, grunting, pointing, etc. and he understands commands pretty regularly (as long as we have his attention), so I am hopeful. Obviously I want the best for my kiddo, so my wife and I are wholly invested in getting "trained" through this program, and in a few months they'll reevaluate to see if he needs more direct speech pathology.

I get anxious sometimes because my wife has a younger brother who was diagnosed as high functioning autistic when he was ~5 y.o. and her father definitely exhibits some unusual social/communicative behavior, though he's never been evaluated for anything. Perhaps I'm looking into unfounded familial genetic traits that would have no baring on my son, but its hard not to get fearful sometimes. As a first time parent, I though maybe it'd be helpful to get some context from other parents who maybe have been in a similar situation. Thanks.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Have you talked to a doctor? I think for boys, that level of speech development is normal. My son is about 2.75 now, and he's just now starting to use simple sentences.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Yeah this sounds normal to me. I personally know kids who had quite a few words at not much past 18 months old and others who didn't speak much at all until closer to 2 and a half or 3 years old. They all got there in the end. It's totally natural to be anxious though, worrying is part of being a good parent.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
My sister has a son that's a year and 7 months now and he uses like 0 words. They said by that time he should be using about 20. If he doesn't get up to speed soon they'll have to take him to some sort of speech therapy. So almost 2 and three dozen words seems fine.

The reason he's so silent is because he's got a big brother that kind of hogs the attention and answers for him. My sister had that problem a good amount growing up too. I would answer for her a lot so they were worried she wasn't learning words.

Oct 27, 2017
My sister has a son that's a year and 7 months now and he uses like 0 words. They said by that time he should be using about 20. If he doesn't get up to speed soon they'll have to take him to some sort of speech therapy. So almost 2 and three dozen words seems fine.

The reason he's so silent is because he's got a big brother that kind of hogs the attention and answers for him. My sister had that problem a good amount growing up too. I would answer for her a lot so they were worried she wasn't learning words.

Sorry who told them that, that is completely off. There is absolutely no way you should have 20 words at 7 months. A word or two by your first birthday is normal.

Edit - apologies, I am an idiot. I missed the 'year and'. Please ignore me.

Last edited:

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the wee man hates his bedroom with an odd passion.

Bed time it's just a no go zone. Putting him to bed when he's exhausted he'll start roaring crying once we pass the threshold of the door.

He could be out to the world but once we go put him in his crib it's hysterics

He'll sleep in every other room no bother except his room.

Time to switch his room ugh

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Has anyone found any reputable sources for good books on parenting? It's such a saturated market that it's hard to know where to start. I'm looking to read something about first-year child development.

Crashnburn85

Oct 25, 2017
California
I also liked "The New Father" as well. Pretty easy read, not particularly preachy (he also gives references to other books as well if there is specific topics you want to look into).

Thanks all for chiming in on my ~2 y.o. speech development. I think my wife and I are being overly cautious as first time parents. I think what we also realized is that almost all of our friends have girls and so naturally their speech development at the same age looks very different. At the very least, I feel like my son really communicates well, via body language, grunting, pointing, and the little speech he has. One thing that feels challenging is that he doesn't seem to try to imitate us when we're doing sounds and words. Most of the time a new word from him just gets blurted out randomly without having done any exercises to bring it out. We're learning some helpful techniques working with the developmental specialists to "bring out his words," so hoping we see a noticeable increase in his vocabulary.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Have you talked to a doctor? I think for boys, that level of speech development is normal. My son is about 2.75 now, and he's just now starting to use simple sentences.
Well, not to make that parent worry, but my son is 23 months and says about 300 words in English (we started counting a few days ago cause we were curious) and uses simple 2-4 word sentences. He also says most of those words in Cantonese, but not all of them. I have no idea how this compares generally. Just a data point. The context in which he uses the words conveys understanding so it's not just parroting. He doesn't hang around with other kids very often so his interactions are primarily with adults who speak to him. Nobody does any baby speak to him. We all speak full sentences. We read to him every night. I know this will vary from kid to kid even in the same environment but I'm just outlining some of his experiences and his environment.

With all of that said, I think there can be large gaps between kids at these ages that tends to narrow closer to 5 years old. I'd speak to a pediatrician to see if you have anything to worry about.

Last edited:

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well, not to make that parent worry, but my son is 23 months and says about 300 words in English (we started counting a few days ago cause we were curious) and uses simple 2-4 word sentences. He also says most of those words in Cantonese, but not all of them. I have no idea how this compares generally. Just a data point. The context in which he uses the words conveys understanding so it's not just parroting. He doesn't hang around with other kids very often so his interactions are primarily with adults who speak to him. Nobody does any baby speak to him. We all speak full sentences. We read to him every night. I know this will vary from kid to kid even in the same environment but I'm just outlining some of his experiences and his environment.

With all of that said, I think there can be large gaps between kids at these ages that tends to narrow closer to 5 years old. I'd speak to a pediatrician to see if you have anything to worry about.
I've heard that English is actually harder to learn because of its grammar and syntax, but the big takeaway is that every child learns at his or her own rate.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Is it normal for babies to ween themselves off of bottles? Over the last few days our 9 month old has started refusing all bottles but has been more than happy to bash fish, shrimp, sweet potatoes, berries...basically anything. She's been acting normal outside of some gas problems probably brought on by having to eat so much more solid food all of a sudden. Just seems sudden and weird.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
So the wee man hates his bedroom with an odd passion.

Bed time it's just a no go zone. Putting him to bed when he's exhausted he'll start roaring crying once we pass the threshold of the door.

He could be out to the world but once we go put him in his crib it's hysterics

He'll sleep in every other room no bother except his room.

Time to switch his room ugh

Does your schedule allow you to try to get him to bed before he's exhausted? My 18 month old pulls this if she's over tired and I will find another dark room to settle her down in and she'll go to sleep on me and then I am usually able to plop her in the crib. Most of the rest of the time we'll read and snuggle and she'll want to go in the crib and then happily falls asleep.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Our little man Sullivan turned 2 on the weekend. He gets more fun/funny every day.

Today we had our 12 week scan and we have a sibling joining us in the summer. Interesting times ahead!