• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
The last week or so with the teeth coming in ours wakes an average of 7 times per night. Never slept through the night in his life, though. Oh well, we survive.

In other news he's getting a bit better at talking. Saying simple words. He can definitely say "go" now. He says "hi" a lot, too. Now I think he's attempting "car" and even this morning he was kind of doing "car go go go" a few times. He also says "neigh" to horses and can make a really fucking cute elephant noise.

Still isn't saying mama or dada though. Figures that horse noises would come before us :P

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I think we've completely lost the battle of what our 22 month old can put in her crib for bedtime. For awhile we held firm at 1 or 2 stuffed animals, but it's somehow expanded to 1 pillow, 3 blankets, 4-5 stuffed animals, a soccer-ball sized felt bag with a lot of small books in it and another stack of normal sized books. I don't really understand how she finds room to sleep but so far it's not leading to her sleeping any worse so I guess we can't complain too much.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't post in this thread much but I had a relevant proud dad moment last night. My oldest (7) managed to beat Mario Odyssey all by herself. She was stuck on the last platforming section leading out to the chapel on the moon and was getting really down on herself (lots of "I can't do it!" nonsense). I've been working with her on nipping that attitude and trying to promote failure as a learning experience so she can do better next time. She finally broke through, beat the boss (Broodal mama with chain chomp) and took out Bowser in two tries. During the final escape sequence she had the biggest smile on her face. Video games are cool ya'll.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Just tried potty training this week.

ahuuughhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuughghghghghghghghggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhsalkdjroeiawsjflsdjrerioaljsdj

That is all.

The last week or so with the teeth coming in ours wakes an average of 7 times per night. Never slept through the night in his life, though. Oh well, we survive.

In other news he's getting a bit better at talking. Saying simple words. He can definitely say "go" now. He says "hi" a lot, too. Now I think he's attempting "car" and even this morning he was kind of doing "car go go go" a few times. He also says "neigh" to horses and can make a really fucking cute elephant noise.

Still isn't saying mama or dada though. Figures that horse noises would come before us :P
My kid's first word wasn't mama or dada either. I don't think either of them were even in the first ten words lol.

I think we've completely lost the battle of what our 22 month old can put in her crib for bedtime. For awhile we held firm at 1 or 2 stuffed animals, but it's somehow expanded to 1 pillow, 3 blankets, 4-5 stuffed animals, a soccer-ball sized felt bag with a lot of small books in it and another stack of normal sized books. I don't really understand how she finds room to sleep but so far it's not leading to her sleeping any worse so I guess we can't complain too much.
Mine has slowly built up stuff in his crib too. We slowly cycle out stuff he's stopped playing with to keep things from getting too cluttered.

I don't post in this thread much but I had a relevant proud dad moment last night. My oldest (7) managed to beat Mario Odyssey all by herself. She was stuck on the last platforming section leading out to the chapel on the moon and was getting really down on herself (lots of "I can't do it!" nonsense). I've been working with her on nipping that attitude and trying to promote failure as a learning experience so she can do better next time. She finally broke through, beat the boss (Broodal mama with chain chomp) and took out Bowser in two tries. During the final escape sequence she had the biggest smile on her face. Video games are cool ya'll.
Haha, that's awesome.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Just tried potty training this week.

ahuuughhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuughghghghghghghghggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhsalkdjroeiawsjflsdjrerioaljsdj

That is all.
Haha should be fun when we attempt. We're waiting for the summer when my wife, who works as a professor, has more time off to help. Diapers honestly aren't too bad now though so I'm in no huge hurry.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter ate some cat poop tonight...gross. We went away for the weekend and one of the cats went outside the litter box and it somehow ended up hidden under her red wagon. Of course she found it and was all quiet while she was mowing it down.

eisschollee

Oct 25, 2018
My daughter ate some cat poop tonight...gross. We went away for the weekend and one of the cats went outside the litter box and it somehow ended up hidden under her red wagon. Of course she found it and was all quiet while she was mowing it down.

Damn, that you had to witness it. I hope nothing serious came from it ?
Luckily, I think we dont see even half of it what they put in their mouth like bugs spiders or cat food....

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody have experience with YouTube kids? So... we've got an iPad that I put YouTube Kids on for our toddler, I let her use it in the morning hwen I'm showering and getting ready for the day. When I set it up for her, I Set it up for jsut content that I approve, and I added a handful of Disney Junior channels, a Mickey Mouse cartoon channel, and Sesame Street channel. IT doesn't have access to anything else, but there's a few things she likes now like some nursery rhyme songs and I'd like to add those to her account ....... but I can't figure out for the life of me to add more content to her account. All I can do is Unblock everything, it seems.

I wish there was some way I could go through YouTube Adults and find videos or playlists and click like "Add to YouTube Kids -> Daughter" or w/e.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Goddam I can't get my daughter to eat the fucking homemade mac and cheese I'm making for her and your kid is eating cat poop. for fucks sake parenting is unfair!

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
A while ago I bought my son a replacement Roku remote because he always like to grab ours. Well he's learned now that his is fake and goes for the real ones because he understands that if he presses the buttons, the TV changes so that's fun.

He's starting to recognize the Disney logo as well. We started Big Hero 6 last night and he got all excited when the logo came on.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that you had to witness it. I hope nothing serious came from it ?
Luckily, I think we dont see even half of it what they put in their mouth like bugs spiders or cat food....

Nothing serious, I guess its only mildly toxic and a nugget or two isn't going to do any harm. Just keep an eye out for low-grade fever within the first few hours.

Goddam I can't get my daughter to eat the fucking homemade mac and cheese I'm making for her and your kid is eating cat poop. for fucks sake parenting is unfair!

Lol, she eats absolutely everything she can find. I'm hoping she grows tired of it because it's exhausting being vigilant about things falling on the floor. Pretty sure she'd eat glass or nails if she could find them.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
My kid gave mac and cheese a try when my wife added some ketchup to it. Fucking ketchup. He had a few bites but then was done, though. But at least he tried. It's still a struggle.

I swear there's some sort of hidden rule where kids will eat whatever took the least effort to make and ignore whatever is supposed to be the "best" dish. We spent a bunch of effort making a nice steak or roast? Kid won't touch it. But he'll eat the garlic bread that I threw together on the side as an afterthought.

Tacos? Nope. But he'll grab a plain tortilla and just casually munch on it like a squirrel.

Homemade pasta? Nope. Canned pasta? Fuck yea. I literally read the back of cans and try to replicate the taste of canned food in my cooking now.

The only bright side is that I really don't have to worry about him eating random stuff that he finds. If he finds old food, he just brings it to me. Downside is that he hands me "rejects" of food at the dinner table. We had to convince him that it's okay to eat watermelon pieces with those white seeds inside them, because otherwise he'd just hand it to me as soon as he saw a seed.

Last edited:

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
So far at least we've having trouble finding something our almost 2 year old won't eat. Raw sweet potatoes? No problem. Chili powder? Sure. A spoonful of minced garlic? Why not? She loves cooking but it's really hard to cook with her because she just grabs an onion and tries to bash it like an apple. I realize this is far preferable to having the opposite problem of course.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who have picky eaters, have you tried cooking with your kid? Have them sample each ingredient as you make it. I never really had an issue as my son eats everything but as he's gotten older he's less likely to try new things. Sampling ingredients helped dramatically and it has the dual function of silencing the cacophony of "Daddy, I'm hungry!" that starts the second I step in the kitchen.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who have picky eaters, have you tried cooking with your kid? Have them sample each ingredient as you make it. I never really had an issue as my son eats everything but as he's gotten older he's less likely to try new things. Sampling ingredients helped dramatically and it has the dual function of silencing the cacophony of "Daddy, I'm hungry!" that starts the second I step in the kitchen.
My kid is allowed in the kitchen when I'm cooking as long as I'm not making anything that he could get hurt by (ovens, pan fried stuff that may have hot oil spatter, etc), but I don't think I have a lot of ingredients that he could sample before I'm done, since most of them need to be cooked.

If I'm the only one taking care of him, he'll often find something to do in the kitchen to hang around me while I cook, but he doesn't seem too interested in what I'm actually cooking.

We've been trying to get him to tell us when he's hungry, but so far that's partially backfired because he'll either try to rummage for cereal at all hours, or he'll simply pull us to his feeding chair. Or he'll just play until we actually ask him if he wants to eat.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely planning on getting my son more involved in cooking but now it doesn't make a ton of sense. He's 18 months so not quite past choking hazard and into hard food stage. Close, though. So a lot of foods would be tempting but not quite doable. I also make massive pots of soup most of the time so it's a shit-ton of cutting (usually when he's going to sleep at night) that he couldn't be involved with and then kind of throwing things together in boring steps.

That said we do have a nice stair thing for him and we have involved him heavily a few times.We do cook with him in the room 100% of the time but usually he's playing or something.

We do the huge pots of food because we don't have a lot of time. It works well because I can kind of dedicate a small bit of time to it while playing with him every few days. Actual dinner time is just reheaing.

Our fun "problem" now with food is that he fills up while we're preparing the food so he's rarely that hungry enough to eat when it's time to be at the table. My wife still breastfeeds and gets home just before dinner time so he gets some milk and we eat. Well, he just had milk so dinner's a crapshoot. For lunches sometimes when I'm preparing it he's so adamant about getting and eating things that he's basically full by the time my food is done. Like he's eaten a bunch of cheese and some apple slices and leftover quesadilla and whatever.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah our daughter is in the kitchen when we're cooking. She stopped wanting to eat foods randomly other than a handful fo things she loves. I think most of it was around teething, different foods started to hurt while she was teething and so she wouldn't want to eat those. Some of it is a texture thing. Others is so funny, so she loves meatballs... love em... so wwe end up having meatballs all the time haha which I also like them so that's cool. But I try to sneak some pasta in there too, and she'll be munching away on her meatballs and then I'll sneak a meatball wedge in with a tiny bit of pasta and she'll be eating it and them immediately open her mouth and rake the pasta out of it... like "wtf! it doesn't even have a flavor!"

It's just one of those things. Right now she's on a big PB&J kick which is cool, easy lunch to make for school, she loves PB&J for now which I'm fine with... bread + protein from the PB + sugar and calories from the jam, fine by me. But... I know the clock will tick on this one...

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I swear my wife is determined to bring the most trash art children's books back from the library every week. Good god Byron Barton books make me want to rake my eyes out and go die. So bad especially since there's so many books with amazing art.

Seriously wtf:
d31be4b22b0e6156c764b9f998a88b0d.png

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think a switch flipped in my kid's head and suddenly he wants to walk everywhere himself. A while ago he always wanted me to carry him around, or would say no if I asked him if he wanted to walk. Now he always wants down.

He also roasts me pretty much every night when we put him to bed and ask him who he wants to keep him company (we have a parent stay with him until he falls asleep).

Us: Can mommy go downstairs?
Him: No. Mommy stay.
Us: Can daddy go downstairs?
Him: Yeah. Good night daddy.

Ah. I see that's how things are.

I swear my wife is determined to bring the most trash art children's books back from the library every week. Good god Byron Barton books make me want to rake my eyes out and go die. So bad especially since there's so many books with amazing art.

Seriously wtf:
d31be4b22b0e6156c764b9f998a88b0d.png
It might be one of those things where they get kids to do the art for kids' books. Like how some children's songs are sung by children. Some of those songs sound bad too, but eh.

I get what you mean, but imo it's fine if the kids like it. It's round, simple and colorful, so it's at least eye-catching.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Well all the schools are closed in Michigan but daycare is still open.

They've gone to what they are calling their level 2 plan though so we can't enter the building anymore. We have to drop off and pick him up from the side door.

Little man likes to stick to my side in the morning so this will be an adjustment to him which I'm sure he'll hate.

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Schools closed here for a month.No family even remotely close. If I couldn't work from home this would absolutely destroy me.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Schools closed here for a month.No family even remotely close. If I couldn't work from home this would absolutely destroy me.

The Coronavirus relief bill that the House recently passed includes two weeks of paid sick leave for parents of children whose schools/daycares have closed.

I work from home every day, but even so I can't work while taking care of my 5 year old (quota-based job).

Dr_LawyerCop

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
My wife works from home and I should start working from home sometime this week. For my industry, it's insane our clients are allowing it. So far our kid, nearly 2, is still going to daycare. It's a small, in home daycare with 6 kids. If the daycare closes or we don't feel comfortable sending him, I think we could manage it. But we would definitely go crazy. I'm already looking for stuff to buy him on amazon. Want to get a nugget but didn't realize those things are just constantly sold out.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Both of us are working from home, but we'll have trouble getting any work done with the kid around. May need to enlist help from our in-laws.

I worry about keeping my kid interested, too. He's already a bit bored at home as it is.

On an unrelated note, he's teething a few molars at once and it's fucking brutal. He's even pickier than usual, and now I can't tell if he's just being picky with food or if he actually can't eat it because his teeth hurt.

It seems to last way longer than smaller teeth too. It's been a few weeks, and our dentist says it could take months. Bleh.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
My work has told me to work from home indefinitely starting Monday, and my partner is electing to work at home too. Pulled kiddo from daycare before it was mandated to ease their burden. After a couple weeks of no illness we may get a set of retired grandparents to watch her.

Us: Can mommy go downstairs?
Him: No. Mommy stay.
Us: Can daddy go downstairs?
Him: Yeah. Good night daddy.

Same here, but I usually got "go away daddy!".

We found that if we tell her mommy is tired and is also going to bed she will usually give her a very sweet kiss good night and bid her good night and let me finish putting her to bed. First time was rough for a few minutes.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Same here, but I usually got "go away daddy!".

We found that if we tell her mommy is tired and is also going to bed she will usually give her a very sweet kiss good night and bid her good night and let me finish putting her to bed. First time was rough for a few minutes.
Ouch.

We occasionally try to convince ours that mommy needs to go, but it doesn't always take. Sometimes he'll stop protesting and just go "good night mommy" which we take as acceptance, but sometimes he'll whine for a good while before settling for me with a bit of reluctance.

I'm definitely the second choice when it comes to bedtime lol.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Both my wife and I start working from home next week. Hopefully between the two of us we can keep our almost 2 year old entertained. She's pretty good about playing by herself at least.

She's heard us talking so much about cleaning our hands, wiping down surfaces etc. though that now she pushes her little toy vacuum cleaner around all the time saying "cean! cean!" and gets upset when we try to tell her the rug/floor is nice and clean now. It's so cute in a kind of tragic way.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Both my wife and I start working from home next week. Hopefully between the two of us we can keep our almost 2 year old entertained. She's pretty good about playing by herself at least.

She's heard us talking so much about cleaning our hands, wiping down surfaces etc. though that now she pushes her little toy vacuum cleaner around all the time saying "cean! cean!" and gets upset when we try to tell her the rug/floor is nice and clean now. It's so cute in a kind of tragic way.

That is very sweet, despite the unfortunate circumstances. I start working from home tomorrow as well. Got a 4 year old and 2.5 year old to entertain. I'm hoping to keep things as normal as possible for them but it's going to be hard to explain why we can't do all the things we usually do (swimming, swing park, visiting gran & grampa etc). At least Frozen 2 is out tomorrow as well, that'll keep them busy for a bit.

Dr_LawyerCop

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm going to be home from work tomorrow after being diagnosed with strep throat. My son has an ear infection (with tubes so just draining) so he's not going to daycare. It really seems like our daycare provider wants to close, but seems intent on making us pay our weekly fee. I mean I get it, it's her livelihood and she takes care of our children, but at what point does it not make sense anymore? Am I going to be paying for months of daycare, which is already a huge expense, while also being forced to manage working and watching a toddler at home all day? It's just an unfortunate situation and I don't even know how to handle it.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm going to be home from work tomorrow after being diagnosed with strep throat. My son has an ear infection (with tubes so just draining) so he's not going to daycare. It really seems like our daycare provider wants to close, but seems intent on making us pay our weekly fee. I mean I get it, it's her livelihood and she takes care of our children, but at what point does it not make sense anymore? Am I going to be paying for months of daycare, which is already a huge expense, while also being forced to manage working and watching a toddler at home all day? It's just an unfortunate situation and I don't even know how to handle it.

Similar situation for us. We have a full time nanny for our daughter, and her son's school just closed (NYC). My wife and are both working from home for the next ~4 weeks, but we'll be jugging our jobs as well as childcare if our nanny can't work. But I don't want to just kick her to the curb, she's part of the family. So I think we're going to pay her for this upcoming week, and if she decides she can't come to watch our kid we're going to pay her half salary for the next couple of weeks since we'll need to pay someone else at least part time to watch the kid.

We're lucky to have jobs where WFH is possible, but at the same time I'm probably going to be working nights and weekends to make up for the lost time during the day.

Oct 25, 2017
Challenge to work from home with a 2 year old. Today he got ahold of a marker and went to town on the hallway wall. That stuff isn't coming out with the Zep cleaner I usually use or a magic eraser. Guess it's time to learn how to repaint walls.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm stuck having to go to work since WFH isn't possible in my field. My wife is running the show at home with the kids (7 and 4) the 7YO is starting remote learning today and the system they're using went down ( because of course they've never tested it on this scale ) so she's doing worksheets for now. Kinda hoping my work shuts down so I can ease some of the burden for my wife. Not sure about how finances work in that case though. Right now I'm in charge of most of the non-school related chores as that's the best I can do aside from just being around when I can. The kids are managing well enough so far. We'll see how it goes as time passes. They're basically stuck doing this until the end of the year.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's been hard. Our ~19mos old is a good baby, she's usually pretty happy, easy going for the most part. But it's tough to work and also take care of a baby... My wife and I do shifts, she's a teacher so she's home full time now, but she gets really stir crazy and bored if they don't have activities. Yesterday was the hardest day for her because the weather was shitty so she couldn't go for a walk or anything. I do morning, 7-915 or so, and then I work from 915-1115 or 1130, then I do nap time to try to get my daughter down. Once she wakes up from nap, my wife takes over at ... 1230 or whenever that is, lunch, etc. And then the afternoons are a wild card.

My work was very strict with WFH, so this is the first extended period I've ever WFH in my adult life... And honestly, I've rreally liked it. I love being *done* at 430 or 5 and then just being home, closing my laptop lid and being done. Hoping once all of this is over, if we all have our jobs that we're going to have some WFH flexibility.

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017
I am unfortunately unable to work from home, so it's been extra tough for us. My wife needs to WFH, and her work has been light due to markets, but it's going to pick up next week so we'll see how it goes.

My son turns 2 in 2 weeks and he's been dealing better than expected. Manageable, getting more screen time, but reaching his limits.

Our nanny is still coming twice a week for now, but our nanny share parents won't use her as long as she's coming to our house as well.

I still can't find an activity our son will do for more than 15 minutes. The only thing he will do is sit and look at books for up to 30 minutes, but he's basically bored of all of his current toys. We're making do by jumping around activity to activity, changing floors, and going out to open spaces when we can.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I started WFH this week, and I guess I'm fortunate enough to be able to do that with a 8 month old baby. My wife is a full-time housewife so everything is just like a normal day for them, except there's me sitting on the couch all day now. My son would approach me sometimes and then and we'd play briefly, then I'll continue working. I would also take a short break every now and then to play with him while my wife needs to take care of other things.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Welp day care is closing down next Monday "for the remainder of the Corona Virus Outbreak'. Michigan is on the shelter order for 3 weeks so I would assume when that's lifted it would open again. I'm assuming the order is going to be extend so interesting few weeks coming up.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
My work was very strict with WFH, so this is the first extended period I've ever WFH in my adult life... And honestly, I've rreally liked it. I love being *done* at 430 or 5 and then just being home, closing my laptop lid and being done. Hoping once all of this is over, if we all have our jobs that we're going to have some WFH flexibility.

I'm the complete opposite; I tend to take way more breaks to go hang out with my wife and kid so I end up working incredibly long hours from when I wake up til I go to bed :lol: It's still really nice to do it.

Tomorrow is my daughter's second birthday. We decided to completely cancel it so its just gonna be us. Might video call some people, we bought some coloring and regular books and ofc we'll do presents/cake/etc. Trying to think of how else to make it a special day for her. Glad she's not older where she would actually have the concept of it being her birthday and it being ruined (although I laugh at some of the stuff other parents are posting like that).

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It's been rough here too. Kid's been getting fussier, maybe because of boredom. Both my wife and I are constantly exhausted because it's hard to work from home and watch a kid at the same time. We have to stagger our hours pretty badly, but that also means one of us is working super late or super early.

Printing out coloring sheets seems to help, but he goes through them really fast.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
It's been rough here too. Kid's been getting fussier, maybe because of boredom. Both my wife and I are constantly exhausted because it's hard to work from home and watch a kid at the same time. We have to stagger our hours pretty badly, but that also means one of us is working super late or super early.

Printing out coloring sheets seems to help, but he goes through them really fast.

It's definitely hard work. I've got a 4 year old and a 2.5 year old and my wife works for the NHS so she's still out during the day. Trying to keep them entertained and still get some work done during the day is next to impossible, and by the time they're in bed I'm so tired any code I write will be nonsense anyway.

It's tempting to let them binge on TV but then they end up so wired at the end of the day that they take hours to get to sleep.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to send a message of solidarity to my fellow parents. Mine are 3 and 8 months, it's been a week and a half in lockdown so far and it is TOUGH. Don't know how we'll get through the weeks and months ahead. I guess it's about taking one day at a time and being thankful that we all have our health. And getting some booze in for after bedtime.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
What's an "after bedtime?" lol

We're mostly getting used to things after a few weeks now. Days still go slow as hell without the library story times, children's museum, and even grocery shopping trips. But I feel like our 19 month old is getting a bit better at imaginative play and amusing himself sometimes now. I lost my job so I take him a bit more, but he's really fucking clingy to my wife when she does get some time off work. His eating habits have gone down a bit more now that milk is on offer more days of the week.

I'm still slightly worried about his lack of talking. I keep trying my hardest to get him to say things but he just doesn't. He says "hi" all the fucking time now. For a bit he was saying "Go car go" but now it's morphed into him just saying it all the time without real context so not sure what's going on there. He still doesn't say mama or dada outside of one singular time for my wife. He did learn "no" a week or so ago so that's fun.

He also knows a lot of animal noises and seems to pick them up quickly. He can do elephants, hippos, cows, chickens, goats, sheep, horses, pandas, monkeys, and gorillas all to varying degrees. "Moo" is mostly just "mmmm" which is kinda amusing that right now he thinks we all make cow noises when a food is tasty. He absolutely loves his little people animal playsets.

We are leaning a lot heavier on television now with the quarantine than we ever really imagined. My wife already had a bit of an issue trying to sway him away from her phone where he likes watching dog and animal videos. We basically put on Daniel Tiger and Bluey now. The bad thing is he's so stuck in "this is how it should be" mode that the TV needs to be on almost constantly now. The good thing is that he honestly gets bored and plays around with shit after a few minutes anyway completely unlike the phone. Unless it's a movie. I've turned on Cars, Lion King, and The Good Dinosaur for him and he fucking loved them. Obviously didn't stick around the whole time, but I stuck there pointing out things to him so I don't feel so bad about it. Overall he still gets a ridiculous amount less screen time than his cousins and they're turning out fine so I'm not too worried.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Around Boston we'll likely be hitting the peak in late April / may.

Your sons speech patterns are similar to my daughter's, who is also around 20 months (DOB end of july 2018). Because she has speech delays our early intervention therapist then doctor recommended she have a hearing test, which she passed but had some limitations and one of those inner-ear audiology tests suggested persistent fluid in her ear. Normally the doctors wait to put in tubes (she's never had an ear infection), but because she has a speech delay the Ear/Nose/Throat doctor suggested we do tubes just to rule everything out. The enterologist said how it can delay speech and forming concrete words because "it's sounds like you're under water," so they know sounds but it might be muffled or not clear. My daughter talks similar to your son, although she says mama and dada, and has sounds for things, they're usually very simple or she picks up on the wrong syllables ... Like our Dog's name is Duncan, and she calls him "Ga," the middle syllable. Like your son she does animal noises, and cows are "mmmmm," dogs are "wwwf wwf" or "hhhf hff" (instead of "Woof").

Our tubes procedure was scheduled for Apr 7, next wednesday, which seems unlikely now but the doctor said it's still on track even though most of the state (MA) is in lockdown. The tubes/hearing thing isn't really likely the cause for her speech delay, it's probably just a normal speech delay, but it's one of those things we're going to follow the doctors rec on just to rule it out. Also the tubes procedure is like super quick... ~5mins. They do have to be put under for it which is the only scary part, but 3 friends had their toddlers get tubes because of persistent ear infections, and they were all like, by the time we sat down in the waiting room it was over.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to send a message of solidarity to my fellow parents. Mine are 3 and 8 months, it's been a week and a half in lockdown so far and it is TOUGH. Don't know how we'll get through the weeks and months ahead. I guess it's about taking one day at a time and being thankful that we all have our health. And getting some booze in for after bedtime.
I'd drink more but I'm playing Doom Eternal after bedtime, and that game needs me to be sober lol. Probably a bad combination.

His eating habits have gone down a bit more now that milk is on offer more days of the week.

I'm still slightly worried about his lack of talking. I keep trying my hardest to get him to say things but he just doesn't. He says "hi" all the fucking time now. For a bit he was saying "Go car go" but now it's morphed into him just saying it all the time without real context so not sure what's going on there. He still doesn't say mama or dada outside of one singular time for my wife. He did learn "no" a week or so ago so that's fun.

He also knows a lot of animal noises and seems to pick them up quickly. He can do elephants, hippos, cows, chickens, goats, sheep, horses, pandas, monkeys, and gorillas all to varying degrees. "Moo" is mostly just "mmmm" which is kinda amusing that right now he thinks we all make cow noises when a food is tasty. He absolutely loves his little people animal playsets.
My kid's eating habits have gotten worse too. Can't tell if it's teething, or because he's getting sick of my food, or if he's just starting to get stir crazy like the rest of us. Maybe all of the above. I dread meal times more than ever now, because basically every meal this weekend has involved a tantrum to some degree.

As for talking, here's some stuff that the speech therapists I was seeing before the quarantine taught me. I don't know if you know this already, but I figured it might help to list it out just in case it helps. Plus a few people here have mentioned worries about speech development, so maybe it'll help in general.

The speech therapists I've seen teach parents to teach their kids by modeling new words for the kid to copy, in the hopes that the kid eventually picks up the word by association. So for example:

If you want to teach the kid "in", you could make a game where you put objects into a container. The speech therapist in this case had a small plastic container filled with water, and small fish toys you drop into it. So then you show the kid that you can put a fish into the container by putting a fish in and saying "fish IN" (with emphasis on IN) as you do it. Then give another fish to the kid so that he can copy what you just did, and you can narrate "fish IN" as he does it. Show him this a few times until he understands the game.

Once that's established, the next thing to do is to cover the opening on the container with your hands and try to get the kid to say "in" before you take your hands away and let the kid put the fish in. To do this, cover the opening when the kid has the fish, look at the kid, and say "fish...." and wait for the kid to say "in". If the kid says "in", take away your hands and praise the kid. If he doesn't do it within 30 seconds or so, take your hands away and say "in" as the kid puts the fish in anyway, because you don't want him to get too frustrated. Repeat, and the kid should eventually pick up that you're waiting for him to say something before you take your hands away. If the kid loses interest and moves on to something else, try to find some other game instead of pressing the issue. The point is to gently encourage him to learn to use words to communicate without creating situations where he feels pressured to do something.

A low success rate is probably okay as long as there's progress. Sometimes my kid would only say the expected word once or twice before losing interest and moving to another game.

Other situations I've been shown:
"Car DOWN" (car going down a slide or something)
"give ____" (basically asking for you to give any object)

That's for functional words that try to describe something or ask for you to do something. For labeling objects, I think I was told to point or show something, and say the name of it to model the word for my kid. The recommendation here was to simplify your own speech as much as possible so that the kid only has one word to pick up from you, and doesn't need to pick out the word himself from a longer sentence. So you'd hold a car and say "car", instead of "this is a car".

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
These two free seasons of Daniel Tiger on Amazon have been a lifesaver so far. We're trying to keep her to two a day but it's really hard to not want to put on another and have a breather lol.

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally we've been having a better go at feeding my son. He turns 2 in a few days.

I think it's a combination of a few things, but whatever it is, great.

We've both had more time to put together meals and cook things that he has a better chance of liking. His meals have become a bit more consistent and streamlined as a result. I'm really liking the America's Test Kitchen Toddler cookbook, I've now cooked most of the mains and each one has been a hit.

He loves meat, but it would be nice to get away from that, so I've been trying to offer him smaller portions of meat and up the veggies and he's been actually at least trying everything I put in front of him. Last night I made a vegetarian meal and he at least tried a few bites of each component. He ended up going to town on the garlicky yogurt I made, but baby steps...

2-3 is an age where kids get more picky, so I'm sure we'll take a turn for the worse upcoming, but it's been the silver lining for the quarantine thus far.