• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you, everyone.

Of course, I stopped by the house to grab a few extra things for the hospital and discovered the house had been broken into. They left the presents under our little tree, but they took off with the PS4, PS4 Pro, and two 32" TVs we had in the living room. Oh well, all of it will be easily replaced once we make an insurance claim. Luckily none of us were home.

That's sucks, I'm sorry you're going to have to deal with insurance on top of everything else.

Hope everyone is having a great holiday!

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
wife's epidural is in. the countdown begins

advice: should i put on food network in hopes that triple d is on and my son is brought into the world listening to guy fieri tell someone their food is off the hook?

i think the answer is yes

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Any tips on how to better encourage crawling? Logan seems to be a little behind where he should be with crawling.

advice: should i put on food network in hopes that triple d is on and my son is brought into the world listening to guy fieri tell someone their food is off the hook?

Welcome your son into the world by welcoming him into Flavortown.

My son loves watching Guy on TV.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Your wife has likely been "eating" naught but ice all day. You sure she won't kill you?

Any tips on how to better encourage crawling? Logan seems to be a little behind where he should be with crawling.

Yeah, my son pretty much skipped crawling, too. Like, he started to walk almost immediately after he learned to crawl.

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

Triple D or Triple G?

As to your question, the thing that helped a little with Pete was to put his favorite toy just out of reaches while he was doing tummy time. He did more of an army crawl than a regular crawl for a long time though.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
My little girl is six months as of Christmas. She's itching for solid food. Wife miraculously managed to exclusively breastfeed for the past 5 months (first month was a bit of formula here and there) but i can tell the squirt wants more.

We have a pediatrician visit tomorrow to get the green light. What i understand is that we should start her off just once a day.

What do you guys think on the variety? I figure mostly bland mushy stuff if she can keep it down but like maybe some nice fruity stuff so she can taste sweetness but not get totally accustomed that food = sweets.

Man i hope i dont fuck this up. This adulting thing... I though by 38 I'd have it figured out by now.

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
My little girl is six months as of Christmas. She's itching for solid food. Wife miraculously managed to exclusively breastfeed for the past 5 months (first month was a bit of formula here and there) but i can tell the squirt wants more.

We have a pediatrician visit tomorrow to get the green light. What i understand is that we should start her off just once a day.

What do you guys think on the variety? I figure mostly bland mushy stuff if she can keep it down but like maybe some nice fruity stuff so she can taste sweetness but not get totally accustomed that food = sweets.

Man i hope i dont fuck this up. This adulting thing... I though by 38 I'd have it figured out by now.
Banana, avocado, applesauce are what we started with. You can essentially puree anything if its been roasted/steamed/boiled for a bit.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
My son never crawled. He scooted around on his butt until he started walking at a year old last month.

Yeah, my son pretty much skipped crawling, too. Like, he started to walk almost immediately after he learned to crawl.

As to your question, the thing that helped a little with Pete was to put his favorite toy just out of reaches while he was doing tummy time. He did more of an army crawl than a regular crawl for a long time though.
He likes to grab phones, so I'll put it just out of reach and he'll try to get it but he gets frustrated very easily.

I did notice the other day he was trying to lift himself up with the couch.

Seven letters. ...Jessica? She'll need to start with a high base salary, so no game industry for her.

That combination would surely lead to eviction. Probably be forced into comic book industry.

futurama_fry_looking_squint.jpg

...No lies...detected. ;_;

It's why my book hasn't sold millions yet, isn't it? Curse you, Motheeeeeer!

Oh wow congrats, can't believe I missed the update!

Thanks yo! Just glad that part's over. Phew~

Thank you, everyone.

Of course, I stopped by the house to grab a few extra things for the hospital and discovered the house had been broken into. They left the presents under our little tree, but they took off with the PS4, PS4 Pro, and two 32" TVs we had in the living room. Oh well, all of it will be easily replaced once we make an insurance claim. Luckily none of us were home.

Big congrats, FW! And commiserations. :/ What a shitty thing to happen and the timing makes it 10x worse. Really sorry, man.

? Why haven't you just given her purees? Is there any particular reason you're waiting for a pediatrician's OK on it? We started giving Mia sweet potato mash at 4 months because she was keen as mustard. KEEN. AS. MUSTARD.

lzMNWVj.jpg

Last edited:

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
The WHO and other places do say to exclusively breastfeed for 6 months, but you can start early. Just puree stuff until it's nice and smooth at first. Fruits and veggies or the baby rice cereal they have available on the baby food aisle are fine. All babies have a sweet tooth so you're not going to predispose her to sweets by feeding fruits. There are blog posts out there or even baby food cookbooks. I made my own except for meat because that was too time consuming and gross compared to other foods. You'll just want to avoid honey, because of botulism, and cow's milk, because her stomach can't handle it yet.

Antagon

Nov 4, 2017
I need some good luck wishes for the misses and the me. A few more hours and labour is going to be induced. She's already staying at the hospital, but I had to spend the night at home.

Can't sleep at all, not the best way to get the party started..

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking to buy a telescope for my son and I. I'm trying to keep the cost at $800 or below, hope to find something that can resolve planets fairly well. I would love to attach my DSLR and take photos, but I think the $800 limit prices those types of scopes out of range. The priorities are image resolution and ease of use—my boy is 2 1/2, so the easier the better. At the same time, I want something he can grow into, and would rather not spend $200 on a telescope or binoculars that can only show us the moon and a couple of planets. Does anyone have suggestions?

Oct 26, 2017
Daughter got pink eye. Puffy at bottom and white mucus/ discharge. Anything I can use to treat her at home before her appointment with pediatrician after the 1st?

I think our cat slept on her bed while we were out for the afternoon.

Been giving her tear drops and Tylenol.

I'm looking to buy a telescope for my son and I. I'm trying to keep the cost at $800 or below, hope to find something that can resolve planets fairly well. I would love to attach my DSLR and take photos, but I think the $800 limit prices those types of scopes out of range. The priorities are image resolution and ease of use—my boy is 2 1/2, so the easier the better. At the same time, I want something he can grow into, and would rather not spend $200 on a telescope or binoculars that can only show us the moon and a couple of planets. Does anyone have suggestions?

Hmmm, it's probably not powerful enough to do everything you want to do, but it's the only telescope I have any firsthand experience with (and still might work for you), but I got a National Geographic 76/350 Compact Telescope for my husband as an intro telescope. It's easy to operate, portable, and powerful for what it is (inexpensive). Might be a good starter one since your kiddo is still pretty young. You can always upgrade when/if he shows a greater interest. And if it gets busted it wont break the bank.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any of ye having difficulty getting wind up? The wee man chugs his bottles but sometimes just doesn't get wind up

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone - dont think I've posted here before. My wife and I had our first daughter, Leliana, in September. Growing fast as hell.

She doesn't seem to be much of a fan of laying on her front for some tummy time, but otherwise has been great. Look forward to asking you guys loads of silly questions going forward.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Any of ye having difficulty getting wind up? The wee man chugs his bottles but sometimes just doesn't get wind up
I treated my son like he was a bottle, pat his back and rocked him around trying to get the bubble of air to the top. Seemed to work.
Hmmm, it's probably not powerful enough to do everything you want to do, but it's the only telescope I have any firsthand experience with (and still might work for you), but I got a National Geographic 76/350 Compact Telescope for my husband as an intro telescope. It's easy to operate, portable, and powerful for what it is (inexpensive). Might be a good starter one since your kiddo is still pretty young. You can always upgrade when/if he shows a greater interest. And if it gets busted it wont break the bank.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into it. The telescope was his idea, he's been bugging me to get one for a few months. I've always wanted one myself, so I'm happy to get one. I hope it keeps his interest. At two years old, who knows.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
My almost 11 month old son is putting my wife and I at our breaking points.

Until he was about 4 months old he slept like a champ through the night. Then he started teething and we got into some bad habits of holding him while he slept (sometimes you have to choose if you want to fight it all night to get him to stay down or actually have somewhat of an evening with relaxation and entertainment), my wife nursing him in bed and then eventually being in bed with us all night.

Fast forward 7 months and he hasn't slept on his own in his crib all night since. The longest has been from like 9-3am a couple of nights. It's constant wake ups every hour or so, hence why we just put him in bed with us.

We've tried sleep training with little success.

He's to the point where if he's tired enough he'll just roll over at bed time after we lay him down. He'll then sleep for anywhere from 2-5 hours. But once he wakes up, it's the same old cycle of rocking, attempting to lay down, wake up an hour later rinse and repeat.

I'm kind of rambling but if anyone has any advice on how to get him to go back down after waking up as well as he does initially at bed time I'm all ears. My wife obviously has the worse end of things being the one with the boob, but we're both so exhausted and just want him to sleep through the night if not consistently then at least a couple of times a week.

His sister was pretty much the exact opposite. She was problematic getting to sleep but once she was asleep she slept mostly through the night. We also started supplementing with formula before bed with her around this age but he has some food allergies that prohibit him from taking most formula. We should know more at his 1 year appointment with regards to that.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into it. The telescope was his idea, he's been bugging me to get one for a few months. I've always wanted one myself, so I'm happy to get one. I hope it keeps his interest. At two years old, who knows.

Pretty cool that he's so keen at this age. Hope you get a lot of mileage out of the scope, whichever one you choose. Tell me you're going to recreate constellations on his ceiling with glow in the dark sticker stars, too. I loved that stuff as a kid. Will probably do it to my kid, interest or no. :D

My almost 11 month old son is putting my wife and I at our breaking points.

Until he was about 4 months old he slept like a champ through the night. Then he started teething and we got into some bad habits of holding him while he slept (sometimes you have to choose if you want to fight it all night to get him to stay down or actually have somewhat of an evening with relaxation and entertainment), my wife nursing him in bed and then eventually being in bed with us all night.

Fast forward 7 months and he hasn't slept on his own in his crib all night since. The longest has been from like 9-3am a couple of nights. It's constant wake ups every hour or so, hence why we just put him in bed with us.

We've tried sleep training with little success.

He's to the point where if he's tired enough he'll just roll over at bed time after we lay him down. He'll then sleep for anywhere from 2-5 hours. But once he wakes up, it's the same old cycle of rocking, attempting to lay down, wake up an hour later rinse and repeat.

I'm kind of rambling but if anyone has any advice on how to get him to go back down after waking up as well as he does initially at bed time I'm all ears. My wife obviously has the worse end of things being the one with the boob, but we're both so exhausted and just want him to sleep through the night if not consistently then at least a couple of times a week.

His sister was pretty much the exact opposite. She was problematic getting to sleep but once she was asleep she slept mostly through the night. We also started supplementing with formula before bed with her around this age but he has some food allergies that prohibit him from taking most formula. We should know more at his 1 year appointment with regards to that.

Sounds pretty rough, peppermints. Sorry you guys are having such a time of it. Sleep deprivation is some next level torture for sure. I know it can get pretty dire when nothing seems to be working and you feel like it'll never end. We have friends in kind of the same sit. Kid slept beautifully for months and then stopped cold and they've been nursing her to sleep, through constant wake-ups, and bed sharing since (at 13 months now). One half of the couple isn't emotionally ready for sleep training, though. They've been sleeping in separate beds for months now and I think they're hitting a breaking point too.

Anyway, you're probably sick of people telling you it'll pass, but I don't know any 18 year-olds that still need to be rocked to sleep, so somewhere along the line it does end. Probably? :D Advice-wise, can I ask what kind of sleep training you did and how long you guys tried for? Since you guys are close to the weaning stage (1 year)(if that's your cut-off), this might actually be an opportune time to do a big overhaul. Establish a whole new routine and yank the sleeping thing back into a solo thing. I know you're asking for resettling techniques, but it sounds to me like the only way to break the cycle is to go whole hog. If you do just want to try resettling stuff, though, do you guys use a sleep app at all? We used that as a sleep association 'trigger', and kept it at half noise when ours went down, then slowly raised it to full if we had to resettle her. That plus a bit of pressure (hand laid on chest) seemed to do the trick sometimes. Maybe give that a go?

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds pretty rough, peppermints. Sorry you guys are having such a time of it. Sleep deprivation is some next level torture for sure. I know it can get pretty dire when nothing seems to be working and you feel like it'll never end. We have friends in kind of the same sit. Kid slept beautifully for months and then stopped cold and they've been nursing her to sleep, through constant wake-ups, and bed sharing since (at 13 months now). One half of the couple isn't emotionally ready for sleep training, though. They've been sleeping in separate beds for months now and I think they're hitting a breaking point too.

Anyway, you're probably sick of people telling you it'll pass, but I don't know any 18 year-olds that still need to be rocked to sleep, so somewhere along the line it does end. Probably? :D Advice-wise, can I ask what kind of sleep training you did and how long you guys tried for? Since you guys are close to the weaning stage (1 year)(if that's your cut-off), this might actually be an opportune time to do a big overhaul. Establish a whole new routine and yank the sleeping thing back into a solo thing. I know you're asking for resettling techniques, but it sounds to me like the only way to break the cycle is to go whole hog. If you do just want to try resettling stuff, though, do you guys use a sleep app at all? We used that as a sleep association 'trigger', and kept it at half noise when ours went down, then slowly raised it to full if we had to resettle her. That plus a bit of pressure (hand laid on chest) seemed to do the trick sometimes. Maybe give that a go?
I'll look into the app. We've tried music because that worked for his sister really well, but he just kept screaming. Kind of funny, on a long drive back after visiting family for her first Christmas, she was screaming in the car for about two hours straight. The Beck album Sea Change came up on shuffle and she instantly calmed down. From that day forward for the next 6 months or so we played that album at bed time because it was so calming for her haha.

As far as sleep training, we've done Ferber and just general cry it out. Ferber is what's led to him rolling over and going to sleep at bed time initially. It's just the waking up that's the hard part. We're in a pretty good routine now that's working for bedtime - wife nurses him while I read his sister a story, then once he's done (she makes sure he doesn't fall asleep nursing) I take over and read him some stories and then lay him down.

I'll try and convince my wife to use the app tonight. Anything is worth a shot!

*edit* misread your post - thought you were saying the name of the app is trigger. Do you have any recommendations for an app (iOS)?

I'll look into the app. We've tried music because that worked for his sister really well, but he just kept screaming. Kind of funny, on a long drive back after visiting family for her first Christmas, she was screaming in the car for about two hours straight. The Beck album Sea Change came up on shuffle and she instantly calmed down. From that day forward for the next 6 months or so we played that album at bed time because it was so calming for her haha.

As far as sleep training, we've done Ferber and just general cry it out. Ferber is what's led to him rolling over and going to sleep at bed time initially. It's just the waking up that's the hard part. We're in a pretty good routine now that's working for bedtime - wife nurses him while I read his sister a story, then once he's done (she makes sure he doesn't fall asleep nursing) I take over and read him some stories and then lay him down.

I'll try and convince my wife to use the app tonight. Anything is worth a shot!

*edit* misread your post - thought you were saying the name of the app is trigger. Do you have any recommendations for an app (iOS)?

The app is just a free white noise player with a bunch of options on the iphone named "White Noise Lite." By 'trigger' I meant that we start it every time we go into her room to put her down and now just hearing it go on works like a sleep trigger bc she's associated it with bedtime. As soon as we hit the button she starts rubbing her eyes. :)

So, DL it and start switching it on right before you put your son down, but have it at half or a lower volume. If he wakes, do your reset (go through whatever routine/feeding you have for bedtime/to get him down again), then raise the volume on the app right before you put him down again. It takes a few days to establish the sound as part of their sleep routine, but once in it helps signal 'it's bedtime. SLEEEEeeeeep' and might help you settle him more quickly or in one go. It may or may not work for you as well as it did for us, but hey, it's free and painless to try! Good luck!

Oct 25, 2017
My wife went nuts with the stroller accessories

F8nHRdY.jpg

It looks like a space ship. Also I think my first car was cheaper.

edit:
I can't stop laughing at this thing. It's basically an escape pod
57KrGSX.jpg

Last edited:

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is amazing. I love it. I guess it makes sense if you're in the middle of that huge winter storm. Or moving to Hoth.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hi guys just found you all, was in parent Gaf before, maybe some of you will remember me.
My son Leo will be 1 on Friday, I just can't believe how quickly it's gone.

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017
wife's expecting due in April... the unsolicited advice and questions are starting to get to me. I'm a pediatrician, and I'm aware I have a ton to learn about actually raising a child, but don't ask me 'what vaccine schedule are you gonna use?' and 'you need to raise your child in a spiritual home

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
Henry is going to be 1 on the 20th and while I'm very glad my parents will be coming up on the 15th to celebrate, especially since they've been here for each of my daughter's birthdays, I'm worn out from Christmas still. I've done no prep for his birthday, don't even know what we're getting him. I know he's 1 and won't remember or care, but I don't want his birthday to become a chore or forgotten in the bustle of Christmas. Next year should be easier though, we've already decided we aren't traveling to anyone's house for Christmas.

Oct 26, 2017
Today, out of the blue, my 8 year old asked me what gay meant. A boy in her class uses it as a deragatory term. I knew days like today were inevitable and I have to say, I feel a sense of pride being able to shape her world views to be loving, accepting and to combat BS like this boy is perpetuating. I even guessed it was from him after other examples of the boy using foul language in class has come to light. It's very apparent what kind of behavior he is exposed and taught at home.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
3 days since we went cold turkey on our 2 year old son's pacifier.

We went to the pond and "gave it to the ducks" which worked well in that moment and he is fine during the day but bed time has become a bit horrible.

Gets really upset at bed time. We can eventually calm him by showing the pictures of the ducks but then he takes forever to go to sleep, just lying there with his eyes open looking miserable. It's horrible.

He has also woken up once each night since at around midnight and got real angry. Crying and kicking at us and yelling at us to go away which is so out of character for him... he is normally super sweet.

I knew it would be hard but this is heart wrenching. I feel real mean. Hoping he comes out the other side of it all very soon.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Logan got his first cold this week. Poor baby. I swear his little coughs and sneezes were adorable, but it looks like the hard part passed once he got his medicine.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
My daughter is now 1.5 years old and having her in our lives is the best thing ever.

It was an incredibly hard way to get her, we tried for 3 years, my wife had to get hormon therapy, we lost 3 babies, needed artificial fertilization etc. Finally, my wife got pregnant with twins but lost one of them after two month. Then, after 5 months, my wifes cervix was only 1,2cm so she had to stay in the hospital for weeks and then at home, had to lay in bed and was only allowed to get up to eat or go to the bathroom. 5 weeks too early, she had a dangerous pregnancy poisoning and they had to get the baby out immediately. A lot of complications, my wife lost 2 liters of blood, nearly died, another surgery next day and three more in the following months. My daughter weighed only 2,4kg and was very weak, but mostly fine. It took nearly 6 months until we really heard her voice because she was so weak in the beginning.

But now she caught up, is running around like crazy, learning fast. It's so much easier now that she's able to answer "yes" or "no" if we ask her something. She is so positive, even directly after waking up, she is smiling from ear to ear.

We're already working on a second baby, one artificial fertilization failed but we knew what the problem was and visited the one specialist on that matter in our country. My wife just had a smaller surgery 3 weeks ago and the doc said it looks promising. Now she has to heal up and in 5 months we can try again. It's important for us that our daughter gets a brother or sister.

But the next step is for me to find a new job nearby our parents, because we currently live 600km away from them and could really use their help.

It's the third day of doing the home thing with two kids by myself and while in general it's not bad, I have a persistent urge to kill something today. The 22 month old doesn't nap anymore and just kicks her crib hard enough to make windows rattle, the baby is gassy and struggles to sleep unless attached to me like a koala, the cats have gone insane and one keeps yowling at the baby gate because she's too lazy to jump it (doesn't matter what side she's on!). Somebody's getting punted into the sun or I'm opening a bottle of wine early to keep a crime from being committed.

Yeah my 3 year-old could do the laundry by himself if he were tall enough. He can sort, load, and even measure the detergent by himself.

I'm with you. Teach them early and they're perfectly capable of doing tons of stuff. Mine feeds the cats by herself and sorts the recycling. She's rubbish at sweeping, though.

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3 days since we went cold turkey on our 2 year old son's pacifier.

We went to the pond and "gave it to the ducks" which worked well in that moment and he is fine during the day but bed time has become a bit horrible.

Gets really upset at bed time. We can eventually calm him by showing the pictures of the ducks but then he takes forever to go to sleep, just lying there with his eyes open looking miserable. It's horrible.

He has also woken up once each night since at around midnight and got real angry. Crying and kicking at us and yelling at us to go away which is so out of character for him... he is normally super sweet.

I knew it would be hard but this is heart wrenching. I feel real mean. Hoping he comes out the other side of it all very soon.

I have thumb sucker. I got no idea how to deal with that - he starts school this year :(

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
[/spoiler]

Get on the floor with him, try to animate him to move (playing with toys etc.), crawl yourself to show him how to do it. But does he have other kids around? The fastest way for him is to learn from other kids. Since my wife is part of a group of moms with kids in the same age that meet once or twice a week, my daughter made progress really fast.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Get on the floor with him, try to animate him to move (playing with toys etc.), crawl yourself to show him how to do it. But does he have other kids around? The fastest way for him is to learn from other kids. Since my wife is part of a group of moms with kids in the same age that meet once or twice a week, my daughter made progress really fast.
No, he's really the only kid his age. I'll lie on the floor whenever I'm trying to get him to crawl. I can tell he's trying because he's pushing forward when he's on all fours, but he just doesn't have the motions down.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
No, he's really the only kid his age. I'll lie on the floor whenever I'm trying to get him to crawl. I can tell he's trying because he's pushing forward when he's on all fours, but he just doesn't have the motions down.

It took my daughter pretty long to get crawling, despite me trying everything to help her. Every kid has it's own pace and there's not much we can do about it, so don't worry about it.
But as I said, you could try to get him to interact with other kids his age on a regular basis, even if it's once a week. They learn so much from each other and influences them in a positive way.

Last edited: