• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017
No, he's really the only kid his age. I'll lie on the floor whenever I'm trying to get him to crawl. I can tell he's trying because he's pushing forward when he's on all fours, but he just doesn't have the motions down.

some kids skip crawling and go straight to walking

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
It took my daughter pretty long to get crawling, despite me trying everything to help her. Every kid has it's own pace and there's not much we can do about it, so don't worry about it.
But as I said, you could try to get him to interact with other kids his age on a regular basis, even if it's once a week. They learn so much from each other and influences them in a positive way.

some kids skip crawling and go straight to walking
I'm not too too worried. I was talking to a friend of mine who had a daughter two months before Logan, and he said she crawled for two days and then started trying to walk. Logan is already starting to pick himself up whenever he's next to a couch or table.

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not too too worried. I was talking to a friend of mine who had a daughter two months before Logan, and he said she crawled for two days and then started trying to walk. Logan is already starting to pick himself up whenever he's next to a couch or table.

usually, but not always, it's babies with larger midsections who skip the crawling

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
No, he's really the only kid his age. I'll lie on the floor whenever I'm trying to get him to crawl. I can tell he's trying because he's pushing forward when he's on all fours, but he just doesn't have the motions down.

He'll learn when he's ready. A lot of kids actually skip crawling all together and I don't think it's even considered a milestone. Just make sure he's getting plenty of time on the floor and eventually he'll figure out his preferred method of traveling.

Henry has started walking, three months after his sister but I swear it's not a competition... Poor boy keeps hitting his head, though, I'd forgotten how many head injuries there were at this stage. It's a miracle kids grow up with any brain cells left.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Poor boy keeps hitting his head, though, I'd forgotten how many head injuries there were at this stage. It's a miracle kids grow up with any brain cells left.

Yeah it's pretty crazy. I really look after my daughter because we have a handful of dangerous spots here but you can't prevent everything. I'm amazed how often she banged her head somewhere, looked at me, just said "buff!" and kept going. Kids can be tough as nails.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else have a really call baby? Our daughter just turned six months and she is almost 29" long and is in the 99th percentile for both girls and boys. She is already wearing 12 month clothing a lot of the times also, and has been in all 9 month clothes for the last month or two now. It looks ridiculous when I hold her, it's just legs going every which way, lol.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else have a really call baby? Our daughter just turned six months and she is almost 29" long and is in the 99th percentile for both girls and boys. She is already wearing 12 month clothing a lot of the times also, and has been in all 9 month clothes for the last month or two now. It looks ridiculous when I hold her, it's just legs going every which way, lol.

Yeah my 2 year old is in the 97th percentile for height. It's crazy, He can basically lie horizonal on our queen size bed and touch both ends. He's all arms and legs.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
He'll learn when he's ready. A lot of kids actually skip crawling all together and I don't think it's even considered a milestone. Just make sure he's getting plenty of time on the floor and eventually he'll figure out his preferred method of traveling.

Henry has started walking, three months after his sister but I swear it's not a competition... Poor boy keeps hitting his head, though, I'd forgotten how many head injuries there were at this stage. It's a miracle kids grow up with any brain cells left.
My daughter, in her crawl stage, (she's two and a half now) used to move around the room in kinda hop-arcs, putting her hands firmly on the floor in front of her and then swinging the rest of her body around towards where she wanted to go. My wife and I became really good at predicting where she was circling towards after a while! Crawling just didn't seem to appeal to her very much, I think because of our hard floors rather than fitted carpets downstairs.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
We're about 3.5 months from our first kid if everything goes as expected. Up until a few weeks ago it was kind of whatever, but now my wife looks pregnant as hell and we've finally got the baby's sex confirmed on our second ultrasound. Kinda scary but mostly insane and amazing!

Nov 27, 2017
My 4 year old is throwing up tonight. I luckily got him out of his new bunk bed in time thinking he needed to go to the toilet and he went all over the hall floor.

So grateful my partner is here to help me out. I'm a single dad but my partner lives with me and she's his stepmom I guess. She's a primary school teacher and is great at handling situations like this, I'd be struggling on my own here.

She's gone back to bed as she's at work in about 6 hours. I'm hovering over my son with a huge bowl collecting the sick as it comes. He's gone twice now I'm expecting another puke at some point. Will hover over him all night ready to catch anything.

He's handling it so well I'm very proud. Not sure what is up, he was back at nursury this morning so it could be something he caught from another kid, we also went swimming today so maybe that also. He had sausages and potatoes smiley faces for dinner I'm really worried it's food poisoning but I had the same sausages, I'm fine so I'm not sure if the smiley faces are to blame.

He just threw up as I was writing this, he's settled down again. Will carry on watching ready to catch the puke. Typing all this helps, sorry if this is a "who are you talking to post" I wish I could do more for him. He's gone back to sleep so hopefully that's it for tonight.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My 2.5 year old was vomiting all yesterday afternoon/evening despite small portions and BRAT (still playful and loving throughout), but it seems to have passed.

It happens. Hope yours is better in the morning, too.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
When my 1.5 year old daughter gets tired in the evening, sometimes it gets pretty crazy. It just takes a couple of minutes from perfectly fine to:

- running around like a total drunk
- being aggressive and throwing stuff around
- being mean and biting us sometimes

But she is still too active and it often takes 30 more minutes for her to calm down so we can take her to bed.

I'm surprised every time because she's nothing like this during the day.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If a kid is going to get sick, 90% of the time it will be in the middle of the night. So much fun!

Well, it's better than...

My 2.5 year old was vomiting all yesterday afternoon/evening despite small portions and BRAT (still playful and loving throughout), but it seems to have passed.

It happens. Hope yours is better in the morning, too.

Spoke too soon. The little one threw up at daycare today, so my spouse coming back home early alongside. :(

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hello ParentERA,

My girlfriend and me have always been indecisive about having a kid for the past 5 years we've known each other. We like our relaxing life of just watching tv shows & movies, playing video games and going outside once in a while.

But now that my girlfriend just hit 35, and also the fact that we've seen her sister's cute baby hit 13 months and seeing him growing up over the months... it's making us think otherwise honestly. We're only his uncle & aunt and we love that little bundle of joy & cuteness(now that he can almost walk and show more emotions and "talk", it's even better), and then we imagine if we had our own kid...and we're like, we would love the heck out of him/her and be proud to raise him/her!
And we're also getting "old". We can't just wait another 5 years to make a decision or else it's going to get too risky... but one big hurdle still really really make me hesitate. The money.

I make like 45k a year, no debts, am able to save money in the long term for stuff like traveling, casual dining restaurants, or even a console or parts for a gaming PC, which is great... but my girlfriend make less than half of that and live paycheck by paycheck to pay her bills and debts.
Which mean that if we do get a kid... I probably will be the one paying almost everything that gets a little too expensive(and everybody knows, that happen very frequently with kids & teenagers) and that scares me. I'm afraid I'm going to end up living paycheck by paycheck and start getting debts like my girlfriend, just to be able to put my kid to school and college, for cloths, for food, for games...
And I also have to forget about ever getting out of my current old 4 rooms apartment, since anything more recent or bigger cost 300$ or more per month than what I pay right now. A house? Ha, keep dreaming. So we're probably going to continue to live in this old apartment(or worse, be forced to get a cheaper apartment because we can't afford it anymore) for ~20 years.

Was any current parents in the same situation I am? How did it go once you got a kid? Is my financial life going to be a crisis for 2 decades? I really would like some encouragements lol. I would love to have a kid, share all those precious moments during the first 12 years, be proud/supportive/discouraged/angry during the next 6-8 tenuous teenage years and finally see him/her become a proper adult and who knows, maybe become grandparents. But I can't stop thinking about how hard it's going to be financially...

I know a lot of people say "if you keep thinking about being ready financially, you'll never have a kid", but you also can't just ignore that either...

Last edited:

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Was any current parents in the same situation I am? How did it go once you got a kid? Is my financial life going to be a crisis for 2 decades? I really would like some encouragements lol. I would love to have a kid, share all those precious moments during the first 12 years, be proud/supportive/discouraged/angry during the next 6-8 tenuous teenage years and finally see him/her become a proper adult and who knows, maybe become grandparents. But I can't stop thinking about how hard it's going to be financially...

I know a lot of people say "if you keep thinking about being ready financially, you'll never have a kid", but you also can't just ignore that either...

Same boat, just getting by financially, weren't getting any younger. Just bit the bullet and went for it anyway and had our "just one" and wouldn't change a thing. We're still pretty much living paycheck to paycheck and are renting but family have been super supportive and over the next few years we should be able to start making some ground and start saving again. Honestly, with hand me downs we've been absolutely buried in clothes and toys, a library card gives us a constant supply of books... it hasn't been a massive financial commitment to this point. Fortunately living in Australia the health care situation is essentially free and the childcare subsidies are also very helpful, which does ease our minds a lot.

Life is too short to let financial anxiety cripple your ambitions and dreams. The happiness, perspective, fascination and depth of meaning our son has brought to our life... can't put a dollar amount on it.

I do think though that you might have to let go of the "my money" and "her money" way of looking at things though. Parenting is the ultimate team exercise and you can't get resentful over who is paying more for what. Your partner will be puting her body through a lot to make it happen and probably putting the brakes on her career advancement prospects for the short term. Sacrifices are being made by all and keeping score isn't healthy. It's important that you still find time and resources to nurture yourself as an individual but at the same time try and adopt the mindset of thinking about the needs of the while unit... that's what families are about after all.

Last edited:

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
Kiddo is 6.5 months old (see avatar). Two weeks ago it seemed she decided adults talk by blowing raspberries, which is adorable; she also blows sad raspberries when she is being inconsolable which is very hard not to laugh at. Last week she apparently decided raspberries were out and instead adults communicate via shrieks, which is less adorable. Seems to have slowed down in the past two days so we wait.

Just started playing peekaboo with us by lifting blankets to cover her face and then dropping them and giggling.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Man, looking at car seats and strollers is a pain. Most of the infant ones go up to 35 pounds, and with how Logan is growing, he'll outgrow it in a month or two.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't think of the last time we used a stroller for our 2.5 year old. Our convertible Next Fit is good up to 65 lbs., so it should last a while (we bought it about a year ago and recently switched it over to front-facing). If you've waited this long, maybe you could go with a front-facing-only seat.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I can't think of the last time we used a stroller for our 2.5 year old. Our convertible Next Fit is good up to 65 lbs., so it should last a while (we bought it about a year ago and recently switched it over to front-facing). If you've waited this long, maybe you could go with a front-facing-only seat.
Well, Logan is 7 months now, and about 22lbs from the last doctor's visit. So I don't know if we can put him in a front facing seat yet. I would have liked to get one of those "systems" that had a car seat, base and stroller, as that's what we had when I was with my ex. But I think the best bet is getting a stroller and car seat seperately now since it's way easier to just take him out of his car seat instead of taking the whole setup with him.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, I confused your child with someone much older. Yeah, 7 months is a different story entirely. FWIW, it took a long time for ours to go from 22 lbs to 35 lbs, even though ours was always in the 95th or higher weight percentile during the first year. Kids grow fast, but not that fast. :)

All the seat-stroller combination systems we looked at for the post-infant stage seemed more hassle than convenience. We just got convertible (rear/front-facing) seats for each car, $20 umbrella strollers (to keep in each car), and one larger stroller for planned excursions.

Last edited:

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
We had to stop using the infant car seat when Henry was less than six months because he was just to heavy, though he was still we'll within the weight limit. We got a Chico convertible carseat with a zip cover, it's currently rear facing but when he's two we'll be able to turn it to forward facing. Our daughter is in the same type of carseat, sadly no zipcover, and it's been great.

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
We have one of those Graco Forever things. So damn expensive and they expire so it's hard to even unload them after you are done unless you practically give them away.

Last edited:

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Man, looking at car seats and strollers is a pain. Most of the infant ones go up to 35 pounds, and with how Logan is growing, he'll outgrow it in a month or two.

We upgraded when our little one was about 12 months old, to one that had extra fittings in it for when he was smaller, but would suit him up till he was 7. They are expensive things, but a worthy investment. Don't be afraid to ask the people in the store, they won't give the wrong advice as they'll be liable for any injuries due to a poor fitted seat.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

While having a kid is an extra expense, I've seen the biggest change in life is you lose time, like a lot of it. You will figure out the money issues as they come.

The question you should ask yourself... Are you ready to drastically cut your time with TV, out to dinner, video games, etc? Are you ready for your relationship to change with your significant other and is that relationship strong enough to survive the trials and tribulations of raising a child? You may not know the answers to all of these questions but just prepare yourself for a massive life change.

VentusGallius

Oct 25, 2017

You could do research but that may scare you off. For example yearly cost of daycare for my daughter is around 13k where I live and that's with a 20% discount. That alone is kinda brutal but also not including the crazy amount of money we spent in the first year.

My kid came about two years early for the plan we had which added strain to things financially. She defeated both birth control and condoms somehow so I guess some things just are meant to happen or both products were made in the same defective factory. It fundamentally changed our lives and things are harder to do now but I don't think I'd have it any other way. Try not to put yourself in a situation entirely unprepared. Think about cuts you can make and understand that traveling or specific leisure expenses you used to make might be on the back burner and become long term things. Losing that personal freedom can be taxing but it could also be worth it.

My daughter is afew months over 2 and we transitioned her into a toddler bed. I spent all of Sunday anchoring furniture and making sure the house was safe for the new level of freedom we granted her. In the middle of the night she cried which woke me up and I watched her in our baby cam gather up her stuffed animals and blanket then climb out of the bed and March over to a play tent we have in the corner. She got inside and just layed down. I waited about thirty minutes before going in to check on her and she was trying to sleep in there. She said she wanted to sleep in the tent because she was a big girl now. So I grabbed her pillow and afew blankets to soften the tent. Little things like that make every sacrifice worth it. My god does it go fast too blink of an eye they can't hold their head up to talking in full sentences.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017

I think that's actually a really responsible way to look at it. I'm 31 and my wife is 25 and we've opted to not have our own children, to this point. Regardless of whether you make a lot or a little, the financial demands will force you to change - I think it's naive to ignore that. That's not at all suggesting that you shouldn't have a child but being aware of the potential challenges is a smart thing to do.

One alternative - which I mentioned doing earlier in this thread - is looking at foster care or adoption. Yes, of course, it's a completely different type of challenge but look at it this way - it's definitely a need in our society and, typically, states will help with the financial burden. It may not be for you but it may be worth considering. My wife and I do respite ("short-term" foster care) and we have found great joy in providing care for children, even though it's usually just a weekend or a week. We don't need the financial assistance that the state and agency provide us but I can see how that would be very helpful to certain families.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
Our daughter is now six months old, six and a half months really. We have nailed bedtime, naps are a completely different story though. She takes a bottle, a period of diaper-free time to practice rolling and sitting, bath then straight to her room to get dressed, have a story read to her then directly down in her crib while she is wide awake. She sleeps from 6:30, 7:30, 8:30 on up until around 7:20 the next morning every single night. It never fails. We do give her a "sleep bottle" around 10pm or so but she doesn't even really wake up for that, but she does take most of that bottle.

Anyway, yesterday we went out earlier in the day and did a lot more out with her than we normally do. She only had maybe 20 minutes of nap in the day and by the time we went to start her bedtime routine she was completely out of it. I've never seen her so tired, it was pretty great. We finally got her to where she made it through bottle and bath but just barely. We had to cut out everything else.

Here is a video of it. She started to fall asleep on the bottle, which she never does anymore, but we had to try to keep her up for the entire process to make it to bed. Poor thing.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Our daughter is now six months old, six and a half months really. We have nailed bedtime, naps are a completely different story though. She takes a bottle, a period of diaper-free time to practice rolling and sitting, bath then straight to her room to get dressed, have a story read to her then directly down in her crib while she is wide awake. She sleeps from 6:30, 7:30, 8:30 on up until around 7:20 the next morning every single night. It never fails. We do give her a "sleep bottle" around 10pm or so but she doesn't even really wake up for that, but she does take most of that bottle.

Anyway, yesterday we went out earlier in the day and did a lot more out with her than we normally do. She only had maybe 20 minutes of nap in the day and by the time we went to start her bedtime routine she was completely out of it. I've never seen her so tired, it was pretty great. We finally got her to where she made it through bottle and bath but just barely. We had to cut out everything else.

Here is a video of it. She started to fall asleep on the bottle, which she never does anymore, but we had to try to keep her up for the entire process to make it to bed. Poor thing.

Haha, adorable. Sometimes they just have absolutely zero fuel left in the tank. Our son fell asleep while cuddling my wife in the ocean a couple of months ago.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
At 10 months old and after his second day of daycare, my son has a cold. He's having a lot of trouble sleeping tonight, so I'm staying up with him until he manages to drift off. Currently binge watching the wiggles on Netflix.

God bless you, Netflix.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Definition of parental anxiety: having no choice but to set off your "Find my iPhone" alarm at 11pm at night and praying to all the gods of mankind that it isn't in range of your sleeping 2 year old.

At 10 months old and after his second day of daycare, my son has a cold. He's having a lot of trouble sleeping tonight, so I'm staying up with him until he manages to drift off. Currently binge watching the wiggles on Netflix.

I'm in love with Emma. She's so wholesome.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thanks for the replies.
I know sacrifices would have to be made, like less restaurants, less movie theathers, less traveling, less video games purchases (although i wouldnt mind if i have to stick to Mario Kart or Overwatch for the next few years), etc.

But i think the biggest sacrifice would be for my girlfriend to give up on her car. It's a lot of money for someone who barely get 20k a year, or even less (car payment, gas, oil, insurance, licence plate & registration paper annual renewal, new tires every 4-5 years, both for winter & normal tires), especially when she mostly use it just to get at her job. Everytime we go out for something, we use mine.
She would have to use the bus, or get an evening shift so she can use my car after i get back from work(but then, we would barely see each other). I know its not something she wants, but i think it might be inevitable if we get a kid.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

God bless you, Netflix.

My one year old girl loves Little Baby Bum Nursery Rhymes on Netflix. The name is terrible, but it absolutely captivates her and it doesn't irritate me. (At least not anymore.)

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Thanks for the replies.But i think the biggest sacrifice would be for my girlfriend to give up on her car. It's a lot of money for someone who barely get 20k a year, or even less (car payment, gas, oil, insurance, licence plate & registration paper annual renewal, new tires every 4-5 years, both for winter & normal tires), especially when she mostly use it just to get at her job. Everytime we go out for something, we use mine.
She would have to use the bus, or get an evening shift so she can use my car after i get back from work(but then, we would barely see each other). I know its not something she wants, but i think it might be inevitable if we get a kid.

This is also a really interesting point. My wife wrecked her car in late 2016 and she has a part-time job that makes about $10-15k a year. Luckily, her job is just down the street from mine, so we can carpool. But we went through the same reasoning as you in that it's a high cost (owning a car) to go to a job that really doesn't pay much in the grand scheme of things.

We ended up not replacing her car and I will say there are positives and negatives, especially when it comes to getting to work, running errands, picking up kids from daycare, or just ensuring that the person that is watching the child (probably at home) has access to transportation in the case of an emergency. Having only one vehicle introduced more stress than I expected but I don't regret it.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

God bless you, Netflix.
My 22-month old likes Super Why.

He also seems to be transitioning from preferring Mickey Mouse to preferring Donald Duck. Like his old man.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017

God bless you, Netflix.

2 month old son is congested and it's been a delight getting him back to sleep after my wife feeds him in the middle of the night. We went through something similar with my daughter when she was about 6 months....it sucks.

With regards to netflix shows, my daughter likes puffin rock. We are trying to teach her Spanish as well as English, and this show has a Spanish dub so that's helpful. She's almost 3.

Hello ParentERA,

From a financial standpoint, my wife and I only decided to have a kid after we had A) Both landed stable well paying jobs B) Made a substantial down-payment on our first house and had a plan for paying it off. C) Eliminated her school debt.

But with all that said, the 2 kids we have now are a real financial hit in terms of savings. More than anything because my wife switched to PRN work instead of full time. We sill save well over 35% of our income, but I see a trend of each month spending a little more on them.

All that is to say that, yes, kids cost money. You should be ready to spend some money on them. But if you are already a frugal person, you can continue to be so and still save money.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm in love with Emma. She's so wholesome.
And skilled! It boggles my mind how many styles of dance she's proficient at, as well as being able to play drums, sing, and I think also play the piano.

As for my son, he finally went to sleep at midnight. Though for hours prior he was so tired that his eyes were having trouble staying open and they'd roll back into his head. But he was so congested that his inability to properly breathe through his nose would wake him up after less than a minute.

I look forward to going through this whole process again tonight.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I'll peruse that.

EDIT: Okay, read through it. I think the biggest challenge in our case is that he mainly does it at daycare and rarely at home or when he's with us. Daycare is starting to threaten kicking him out. =\

Last edited:

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
Henry had half of his one year shots Tuesday and he's been making us miserable since. He's never like this but he's almost constantly crying and the only thing that calms him is nursing. All the progress we made toward weaning is gone. Hopefully when he gets the rest of his shots in a month it's not this bad, but when his sister got all of them at once this lasted for two weeks and resulted in a mild case of chicken pox and a rash. At least with him we haven't seen a rash yet.

Amused

Jan 24, 2018
I think this is the right place to put up my first ever post, seeing as how getting two premature boys (identical twins, born in week 26) in september caused me to miss... everything that led to ResetEra being set up.

The little guys are doing great, and us parents are slowly getting some sort of sense of what life with twins will belike! And it's pretty great most of the time :D

Not much time to play video games though. Not expecting that to change anytime soon...