• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
W5MGQ1a.png

Welcome to ParentERA. Our gathering place for all things kids(current and future)! Whether it be someone in need of advice or someone in a scary situation looking for reassurance we are here for each other. This is a judgement free zone. We are all trying our best to be great parents so please more support and less criticism.

Have fun!

nvrmnd.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys.

Father of two here. A three year old and a nine month old. Both boys. Wonderful, amazing boys.

I'm really tired.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Howdy also a father of 2. I have an 8 year old daughter and 3 year old son. My kids are my life. I love my life, I love my kids.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I have 3 kids, a 10 year old daughter, an 8 year old son, and 4 year old daughter. The two youngest fight all the time while my 10 yr old kind of just stays above the fray. They are all obsessed with Undertale atm. It's great!

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I have 3 kids, a 10 year old daughter, an 8 year old son, and 4 year old daughter. The two youngest fight all the time while my 10 yr old kind of just stays above the fray. They are all obsessed with Undertale atm. It's great!
That was the last game I played before my son was born. Have they done the Pacifist run yet?

The Kid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all. I'm the father of an almost 3-month year old. These first few months have been insane. Time has seemed to go by incredibly fast and excruciatingly slow at the same time. He is not a great sleeper. At night he will at most sleep for 3 hours. He is also still dealing with gas issues (we have tried everything) which tend to get really bad around 5-6 am. As for naps we are trying to use a swing to get him off of falling asleep on my wife.

Other than that he is doing great. He has already rolled over from his front to his back. He also tries desperately to crawl even though he can't physically do it yet. He will often get really frustrated during tummy time because he becomes aware of his physical limits. He also has become super talkative and smiley, which makes the whole experience much more rewarding. Hopefully he starts sleeping better soon!

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all. I'm the father of an almost 3-month year old. These first few months have been insane. Time has seemed to go by incredibly fast and excruciatingly slow at the same time. He is not a great sleeper. At night he will at most sleep for 3 hours. He is also still dealing with gas issues (we have tried everything) which tend to get really bad around 5-6 am. As for naps we are trying to use a swing to get him off of falling asleep on my wife.

Other than that he is doing great. He has already rolled over from his front to his back. He also tries desperately to crawl even though he can't physically do it yet. He will often get really frustrated during tummy time because he becomes aware of his physical limits. He also has become super talkative and smiley, which makes the whole experience much more rewarding. Hopefully he starts sleeping better soon!
We used the Rock N Play with great success when our guy was little, some people advise against sleep crutches but any rest time everyone can get is so crucial.

The Kid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We used the Rock N Play with great success when our guy was little, some people advise against sleep crutches but any rest time everyone can get is so crucial.

We use the Rock N Play. It has worked for me but not so much for my wife. I think when my wife is there he just wants to nurse, even if he isn't hungry. So we are trying to try to ease back on the constant nursing.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a little girl on the way in about 2.5 weeks (if she's on time). Excited and terrified at the same time. Car seat installed, room/crib is prepped, hospital bag is packed. Anxiously waiting now.

VentusGallius

Oct 25, 2017
Mine just turned 2 in October and just got hand foot and mouth this week. Best possible week for this as my wife is training a new batch of employees and I'm knee deep into a security audit at work! Could be worse though my wife's old college roomate said that her first kid got it so bad that her kid didn't eat much for about a week and I think mine is on the mend after afew days.

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Our first was a terrible sleeper. Suffered from colic so it was rough for a long time until he could roll over onto his front. He still wasn't great at it until he was in his own room and then the trouble was getting him off to sleep. He's been a champion sleeper for a good 18 months now and even gets up at a reasonable hour thanks to a Gro Clock (seriously, it has been such a help!).

Our second has been great at sleeping for the most part but he's starting to teethe so the troubles are coming back but we at least know what we're doing this time.

I'm still tired, tho! XD

KAP151

Oct 25, 2017
Hi ho. Checking in. Steadily approaching our second Christmas.

Starting to learn words now. And loves to dance. Love being a dad!

feezel

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Hi all, father of a 2 year old girl. We have a second baby due in March.

My work was flexible enough to allow me to work part time from home so I get to spend a lot of time with my daughter.

She's very strong willed and quite cheeky. Being a Dad is definitely challenging at times but also really rewarding.

VentusGallius

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all, father of a 2 year old girl. We have a second baby due in March.

My work was flexible enough to allow me to work part time from home so I get to spend a lot of time with my daughter.

She's very strong willed and quite cheeky. Being a Dad is definitely challenging at times but also really rewarding.

Work flexibility is extremely nice. I have a similar setup at work and I don't think I would have given up the extra time I got with my daughter during this stage of her life for anything.

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
Some days it feels like my only purpose is to make them miserable. It's like my day isn't complete unless I've made them cry. I'm sorry but no you can't chew on mommy's books, no you can't eat chalk, please stop trying to smother your brother. I'm such a buzzkill.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
I find it's less stressful to hear my daughter's crying if I pretend it's my fault and I'm a cartoon villain with a twirlable moustache (which I twirl anyway while laughing).

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Some days it feels like my only purpose is to make them miserable. It's like my day isn't complete unless I've made them cry. I'm sorry but no you can't chew on mommy's books, no you can't eat chalk, please stop trying to smother your brother. I'm such a buzzkill.
LOL, you know when my parents punished me and said "I'm doing this because I love you" I used to roll my eyes. But it's certainly true.

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The number of times I've put my eldest to bed and felt like a total asshole upsets me. Like, he's just a kid, how's he supposed to understand that jumping on his baby brother from the sofa is not cool?

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! No you can't go outside at 2130 >:(

But man, schools are annoying tf out of me. So I guess schools get money for having military kids. They have these questionnaire cards for military families to fill out and turn back. And I work long hours, I'm the Leading Petty Officer of a big division, so I am ired at home. They are borderline harassing my daughter to get this card back. It's awful

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
Parent to two boys, 4 and 2. They're the absolute greatest— always make a shit day cute again.

We just adopted a one-eyed cat, and the eldest is so concerned. "But where's her little eye? Who took it? That wasn't nice. She should have two eyes, but she's still pretty. Who took her eye?!?"

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Added a banner image. I'm no graphic artist but I did my best. If anyone else wants to take a stab at it feel free.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I have a daughter who turns two on Sunday and we have another on the way. Sure my free time has lessened a lot over the past couple of years, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Soon to be father of a son who has a 50% change of having an unpleasant genetic condition.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
My little boy just turned 1 month old yesterday. Poor thing has so much gas, and we think he's catching a cold as well. Doctor visit tomorrow to figure it all out.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My kids are older so different from you young parents.

I gotta ride some ass about school this quarter. Daughter is fine, but son about to lose internet privileges if he keeps this bullshit up.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Good lord I hope some of you guys have advice for handling teenagers.

My 14-year-old is always wanting to stay home from school and keeps coming up with more and more elaborate excuses. He stays up too late and is tired in the morning is all. Ugh.

It's kinda hilarious, he tried SO HARD this morning to get me to cave, limping around, groaning, etc. His little sister who loves school had to stay home because she got a migraine, and had to go pick up his little brother because he fell and cut his head at school this morning.

So for all his drama (he even 'missed the bus' and started walking normally when I dropped him off) and everyone else stayed home and not him.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
One month left of being a family of three. Wife is freaking out still about not knowing the gender. She alternates between not caring and hating herself for not finding out just for the peace of mind.

Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland

My 14-year-old is always wanting to stay home from school and keeps coming up with more and more elaborate excuses. He stays up too late and is tired in the morning is all. Ugh.

It's kinda hilarious, he tried SO HARD this morning to get me to cave, limping around, groaning, etc. His little sister who loves school had to stay home because she got a migraine, and had to go pick up his little brother because he fell and cut his head at school this morning.

So for all his drama (he even 'missed the bus' and started walking normally when I dropped him off) and everyone else stayed home and not him.

Best advice I can offer is to stay on top of it, but try to remember and pull back a little from time to time. I know that's contradictory as hell, but my 16 year old went through a similar phase and while I was on his ass at times, yanking internet access and restricting Steam library privileges, I also made an effort to spend some time just the two of us, even if it was only going for a burger, so he knew he could talk to me if he needed to. There could be a million reasons he's trying to duck school, and while most will seem like petty nonsense to you and I, teenage drama is serious business to them.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Best advice I can offer is to stay on top of it, but try to remember and pull back a little from time to time. I know that's contradictory as hell, but my 16 year old went through a similar phase and while I was on his ass at times, yanking internet access and restricting Steam library privileges, I also made an effort to spend some time just the two of us, even if it was only going for a burger, so he knew he could talk to me if he needed to. There could be a million reasons he's trying to duck school, and while most will seem like petty nonsense to you and I, teenage drama is serious business to them.

Yeah I know. I was mostly just venting. He's had a rough year and it's a new school so I am cutting him slack but he's already missed five days in one month. Any more and the truancy people are going to start knocking on my door

Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
Yeah I know. I was mostly just venting. He's had a rough year and it's a new school so I am cutting him slack but he's already missed five days in one month. Any more and the truancy people are going to start knocking on my door

Yeah, at that point then you gotta start cracking the whip. So much easier to motivate mines this year thanks to several of his friends qualifying for EMA. While our income means he doesn't qualify, we struck a deal where we cover his "loss" as long as his attendance and grades stay up. A few friends raised eyebrows at us "paying" him to sticking at school, but the way we see it, if we were a low income family, the Government would do the same?

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

Sounds just like me when I was his age. My mom just didn't give me an inch. Lol

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I never posted in the old thread am looking to get more active this time around

I am a father of two, 9 year old girl and 3 year old boy. They are polar opposites so it's always interesting. Sometimes I struggle with parenthood but I always do my best. I deal with it by making lots of jokes. But I do care for my kids and I work really hard to try to make life good for them.

My newest struggle is my daughter is in the AP math class and the homework that comes from that is so much different than what I did in school. I know of a lot of the answers but don't want to tell her how to do the problems. So it's a struggle. Some of them I don't know the answer to and that makes it worse.

Anyway looking forward to hanging out with you all.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, father of two little girls, a 4 year old and a 10 month old. Completely head over heels for them but man are they exhausting at times! The one thing I miss about not being a responsible adult is being able to sleep in.

feezel

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Hey everyone, father of two little girls, a 4 year old and a 10 month old. Completely head over heels for them but man are they exhausting at times! The one thing I miss about not being a responsible adult is being able to sleep in.

I know what you mean. Had a few late gaming nights in the last few weeks, do you think she cares? Nope! Wake up call at 5am :(

Oct 25, 2017
I know what you mean. Had a few late gaming nights in the last few weeks, do you think she cares? Nope! Wake up call at 5am :(

I work shift work, mostly evening shifts with some overnights. It doesn't matter what time I get to sleep, I wake up to my 4 year old singing or being incredibly loud and talking non-stop at 6am every morning no matter what :( I am just not a morning person at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Father of an 18 month old girl here. She is such a funny, smart, loving little girl, I sure do feel lucky to be her dad, especially with how difficult the pregnancy was for my poor wife. The food regressions are currently the bane of my mealtimes (but you loved this before!), and she's fully walking now so nothing is safe. The bottom half of every room in my house is bare. I am not sure how I am going to approach a Christmas tree this year.

That being said, I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Oct 25, 2017
Father of an 18 month old girl here. She is such a funny, smart, loving little girl, I sure do feel lucky to be her dad, especially with how difficult the pregnancy was for my poor wife. The food regressions are currently the bane of my mealtimes (but you loved this before!), and she's fully walking now so nothing is safe. The bottom half of every room in my house is bare. I am not sure how I am going to approach a Christmas tree this year.

That being said, I wouldn't trade it for the world!

The food thing will continue for a good while. My 4 year old still does that. Something she loved before she all of sudden hates and vice versa. I think it's just their way of asserting some control.

Oh, and for the christmas tree you can try one of those fence things for toddlers.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Fiction - I'm not a parent... but I'm just wondering if it's possible there's a reason why he doesn't want to go to school? Is it possible he's being bullied or something?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hello. I have a 19-month old boy.

He loves to walk around and grab things and throw things and put things into other things.

(No, not his dick)

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Fiction - I'm not a parent... but I'm just wondering if it's possible there's a reason why he doesn't want to go to school? Is it possible he's being bullied or something?

At his last school he was bullied very harshly. He's gay, and it got out. We got him some help, counseling and such, and moved to progressive Austin so he could start over. He's not really giving the new school a chance, and we are trying to help him but he's just... I dunno, hopefully it's a phase, this' I don't need friends I don't have to talk to people' stuff.

Hes starting to try I think, he said he signed up for the gay/straight alliance at school.

So it's not so much he's getting bullied as it is fear of getting bullied again, even though this school is awesome. He just kinda closed himself off and needs the courage to step out again.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have a wonderful son who turned two at the end of August and have a second son due to arrive any day now (due date is 10/30).

Our first was such a good sleeper after the first month that I'm afraid of how this one will go! But I get three weeks paid paternity leave this time around! Holla!