• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I was under the impression that it was caused by the fever temperature spiking fast, and not because of the inflammation. I was very worried about his fever last night because he was hovering around 39C and looked pretty out of it in the hour or so before the meds kicked in. But once they kicked in, his temperature went back to normal really quickly.

His temperature stayed down overnight and he seems to be at a stable temperature today without needing advil or Tylenol. Hopefully this means the worst of it is over and the antibiotics are working.

Fingers crossed.

it's caused by the spike in inflammation. fevers (often high) usually come along with that, but you can have a low temp, or even spike a fever after the seizure occurs [this is probably TMI]

fevers will often make kiddos look and feel miserable, so it's good to try to make them more comfortable and bring it down

sorry you went through that, I can't even imagine how scary it is to see your child have a seizure

Simon Belmont

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys,

I'm a first time poster in this thread, I think I'm just looking for some perspective, but I'm pretty angry about something that has happened with my son.

So yesterday at his after school program, he burned his thumb (pretty badly, blister covering pretty much the entire pad of his dominant hand) on the end of a hot glue gun that he was apparently using during said program. For context he's going to be six at the end of December. Personally I cannot for the life of me imagine why one would hand a hot glue gun to a child that young, but after speaking with the program coordinator she did not seem at all freaked out by this.

So Era, would any of you folks expect that your child would be playing with a hot glue gun at that age? Am I out to lunch here?

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
it's caused by the spike in inflammation. fevers (often high) usually come along with that, but you can have a low temp, or even spike a fever after the seizure occurs [this is probably TMI]

fevers will often make kiddos look and feel miserable, so it's good to try to make them more comfortable and bring it down

sorry you went through that, I can't even imagine how scary it is to see your child have a seizure
It's okay, that's not TMI. It's helpful to know more about these things anyway.

Kid was much better today. Fever was gone entirely, though he still needed Advil and Tylenol to manage the pain from his ears. He was crying inconsolably whenever the pain came back.

We have a follow-up with the hospital tomorrow, but at least it seems the worst of it is over. I'm still pretty high strung from the whole thing, and don't know when I'll be able to relax around him again. Probably not until he's at least over this sickness entirely.

Hey guys,

I'm a first time poster in this thread, I think I'm just looking for some perspective, but I'm pretty angry about something that has happened with my son.

So yesterday at his after school program, he burned his thumb (pretty badly, blister covering pretty much the entire pad of his dominant hand) on the end of a hot glue gun that he was apparently using during said program. For context he's going to be six at the end of December. Personally I cannot for the life of me imagine why one would hand a hot glue gun to a child that young, but after speaking with the program coordinator she did not seem at all freaked out by this.

So Era, would any of you folks expect that your child would be playing with a hot glue gun at that age? Am I out to lunch here?
A glue gun at six? I think that's messed up. I don't think I was allowed anywhere near those things in elementary school. Crafting tasks involving potentially dangerous tools like that were always done by the teacher.

That was decades ago, though. I dunno what's the norm for schools these days, but that does sound wrong to me. If a place told me that they let kids use glue guns at that age, I wouldn't put my kid with them.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Just got a letter from daycare we have to sign acknowledging we read it stating that the daycare left a 4 year old in a hot bus in September of this year and didn't realize the child was missing till her father showed up to retrieve her from daycare ... and that apparently the letter was mandated by law and 52 children have died this year in similar instances nationwide this year...
Doesn't even mention if anyone was disciplined or fired...

WTF...
Like what am I supposed to do with this information except be even more of a nervous wreck?
The fact that it's a state requirement they sent the letter concerns me that other daycares are not any better...

Oct 26, 2017
I just wanted to share a product that I found to be awesome. The Hatch Rest. It's like a programmable night light / sound machine. We were having a problem with our nearly two year old son waking up too early, like 4 or 5 am and just crying and crying. My theory was he doesn't have a clock like us, so he can't check it and know it's not time to get up yet. I mean, it's just as dark at 6 as it is at 4 so how would he know when it's morning? We have the Rest set to be blue during the night and at 6:30am it turns yellow which means it's OK to get up. It took him about a month or so to understand. We started setting it to 5:30 or 6ish at first. But eventually he got it and would wait until it turned yellow to start making noise. We just bumped it straight from 6:00 to 6:30 last week and he's been totally fine sleeping until then. Recently he's been sleeping past it turning yellow which gives us time to actually get things done in the morning. It's a little pricey, but it was worth it for us.

Just got a letter from daycare we have to sign acknowledging we read it stating that the daycare left a 4 year old in a hot bus in September of this year and didn't realize the child was missing till her father showed up to retrieve her from daycare ... and that apparently the letter was mandated by law and 52 children have died this year in similar instances nationwide this year...
Doesn't even mention if anyone was disciplined or fired...

WTF...
Like what am I supposed to do with this information except be even more of a nervous wreck?
The fact that it's a state requirement they sent the letter concerns me that other daycares are not any better...

That is my nightmare.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
That feel when you have to hide your child's book just so you can get a respite from the mind numbing boredom of reading "Where is my cat?" over and over and over for a bit.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
That feel when you have to hide your child's book just so you can get a respite from the mind numbing boredom of reading "Where is my cat?" over and over and over for a bit.
Tell me about it. For a while there I was re-reading the same Berenstain bears book (New Baby) over and over and over.

We had this issue for a while and the solution we had with my then 2 year old was encouraging her with "What new book are we going to read tonight?" and then if she was really determined to re-read the same book for the hundredth time, we would tell her it was someone else turn to pick a book.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Like I don't even care about reading a book day to day or if it's fun a bunch of times in a day. But now my 14 month old has this habit of wanting the same book read upwards of 8 times in a row. Most books I'm fine with that. I get into it. They're fun and have a flow. Some, though, are just insanity bait. "Where is my cat?" "This is not my cat." over and over and over and over. I add in some things, but good god tiny man!

We have this cute "Everywhere Babies" book that's fun to read even over and over, for example.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Like I don't even care about reading a book day to day or if it's fun a bunch of times in a day. But now my 14 month old has this habit of wanting the same book read upwards of 8 times in a row. Most books I'm fine with that. I get into it. They're fun and have a flow. Some, though, are just insanity bait. "Where is my cat?" "This is not my cat." over and over and over and over. I add in some things, but good god tiny man!

We have this cute "Everywhere Babies" book that's fun to read even over and over, for example.

lol this is my life.

My 15 month old goes between the same 6-8 books, it's normal, kids like the repetition of expected things... Although so often I wish she'd just want to bang on her toys or play with the noise making ones, instead of constantly asking me to read books ...w hich hey I should be happy, she *LOVES* books and loves flipping through them, but godddddam if I have to read "The Story of Rock" again (an insufferably terrible rhyming book about a people's history of rock and roll)... Well... I'll do it, but I don't be happy about it.

Books I hide from my daughter:
  • Pajama Time
  • Perfect Piggies
  • Any other horrible Susan Boynton book. I honestly don't know how a publishing company has the gaul to print these they're *SO* bad ("Perfect Piggies: A STORY, a SONG, a SENSATION!" -- it is none of these things, it is an insufferably stupid book that doesn't make ANY sense, even in the non-sensical world of children's books).
  • The Story of Rock (brain dead book about rock and roll history which has cringe inducing rhyming lines about Weezer, the White Stripes, and a bunch of shit)
  • I love you stinky face (I think that's the title, I like this one, it's clever)
I think a lot of the classics are still really good... Dr. Seusse book of ABCs seems bad at first, but now I really like it. Fucking Peter Peppers Puppy and now PAPAs in the pail. I didn't see that coming at all. And fucking J J Jerry's Jelly Jar and Jam begin that way, Jerry is high as a fucking kite on that page.

There's a handful of children's books that I love:
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree
  • Llama Llama Red Pajama (I think this is a good book, although, as a father, I can't help but notice that Baby Llama has no Papa Llama in the picture...)
  • King Baby
  • Steam Train, Dream Train (really good one)
  • You Were the First (excellent early year baby book for new parents, if you don't cry the first few times you read it with your child you don't have a soul)
  • Where Does Pig Live (A Barnyard Search and FInd book!). Help pig find his house, twists and turns on every flap.
  • Love, Mama (A delightful story about a penguin Kipling and his mother traveling for work, got it for my wife when she was going away for a weekend, made her cry)
  • Giraffes Can't Dance
There's not a ton of books for fathers and daughters that aren't weird or bizarre or too "Daddys little girl" stuff. I like "Made for Me," that's cute, and "I Love My Daddy" board book... "I Love My Daddy" is a little brain dead, but it's cute and the drawings are nice.

There's a lot that I read regularly that I tolerate but don't love:
  • Juno Valentine and the Magical Shoes: Meh. I feel like it's missing pages. The jump from Juno noticing that there's a twinkling in the corner of her closet to becoming Cleopatra is very sudden. Also, I'm tired of Frida Kahlo being in every fucking book for little girls. I do like that it has Serena WIlliams.
  • What Color is a Kiss. It's pretty good. The illustrations are great and evocative. I'm just not into the story, and I struggle with the big reveal of what color a kiss is.

Last edited:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
My 15 month old goes between the same 6-8 books, it's normal, kids like the repetition of expected things... Although so often I wish she'd just want to bang on her toys or play with the noise making ones, instead of constantly asking me to read books ...w hich hey I should be happy, she *LOVES* books and loves flipping through them, but godddddam if I have to read "The Story of Rock" again (an insufferably terrible rhyming book about a people's history of rock and roll)... Well... I'll do it, but I don't be happy about it.

Yeah I definitely caught on that he likes things that are expected. He used to adore the hungry caterpillar until we introduced others and hose just kind of ramped up. Just recently though he's done the crazy streaks of 7 or 8 times in a row. Before it might be twice. And obviously when he was even younger (14 mo now) it was hard getting through just one in full.

He loves books though. We read through probably 30+ every day. Not different ones obviously. We'll clear his entire book arsenal in his room some mornings.

• Any other horrible Susan Boynton book. I honestly don't know how a publishing company has the gaul to print these they're *SO* bad ("Perfect Piggies: A STORY, a SONG, a SENSATION!" -- it is none of these things, it is an insufferably stupid book that doesn't make ANY sense, even in the non-sensical world of children's books).

Haha, I actually like a few of those. There's some bad ones at the library, but honestly the ones we have are pretty fun to play out, but maybe t hat's because I'm a goofy bastard.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I like Eric Carle... The Very Hungry Catepillar and Brown Bear, Brown Bear. My wife hates those books, but I like them both. I recently bought "Baby Bear, What do you see?" which I'm sure will trigger my wife, but I'm all in on the simplicity of it.

PURPLE CAT PURPLE CAT WHAT DO YOU SEE

We have a bunch of books I inherited from my parents childrens book library, so a ton of Richard Scary illustrated books, and most of them are like really spartan books... Like books you'd enjoy during the Great Depression because it was either "Pat the Bunny" or gruel for dinner so you'd choose "Pat the Bunny."

There's this one book ... "I Am a BUnny," which has a very simple story... "I am a bunny..." and then Nicholas the bunny kinda just tells you what he does, which is a lot of standing around. But goddam the illustrations are great and really well done for such a simple book, and turns out it was illustrated by Richard Scary, which makes a lot of sense.

ng0ZxOV.png

A7KXkLZ.jpg

8JGRykR.png

I just look at this and I'm like "who thought of this."

I like these old books because I think they're reflective of a time when the old thing children had to do was sit around and watch birds, stay out of the rain, and watch toads jumping in the pond. Today, kids have virtual reality stimulation helmets.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
Any other horrible Susan Boynton book.
Really enjoyed the first several Boynton books we got— they had good rhythm and were fun and entertaining. Then we got one about dinosaurs that had a lot more words on the page— I think it's supposed to read like poetry but it just loses it's own meter and it's very difficult to read. I now read books in stores and haven't found any more of her books that were as joyous as the first ones we got.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the first several Boynton books we got— they had good rhythm and were fun and entertaining. Then we got one about dinosaurs that had a lot more words on the page— I think it's supposed to read like poetry but it just loses it's own meter and it's very difficult to read. I now read books in stores and haven't found any more of her books that were as joyous as the first ones we got.

The Dinosaur Dance? We love that one in our household. It's one of our 14 month old's current favorites.

Dr_LawyerCop

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
We like the Boyton books we have, dinosaur dance, the going to bed book, and spooky pookie. They're fun to read but I've definitely picked up a few of hers that weren't good while looking at target/the library.

Just got confirmation that my 17 month old has hand, foot, and mouth disease. He seemed a little off this weekend but we thought it was teething. Then we found out a kid in his daycare has it and started putting two and two together. I've been starting to get sick with what I assumed was a cold so now I'm just praying I don't have it. Going to be a fun week.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
The Going to Bed Book has been a staple in the house for awhile.

About 8 months ago we subscribed to whatever the infant version of Highlights is called and she loves those things. Whenever a new one arrives that's all she wants to read for days.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly certain if I said my son's sleeping was trash, especially lately, it would be an insult to trash. I would love trash sleeping again. This sucks and I never imagined this shit.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
RDreamer how old is your son again like 14, 15 mos?

I started sleep training with my 15mos daughter just over 2 weeks ago. After 3-4months of sleep regression where her sleeping through the night was a rarity, within about 3 or 4 nights, she slept through the night once, then consistently waking only for a short while, and now, we've had 4 consecutive nights of uninterrupted sleep... ~7pm - 630am or so.

I detailed some of this on page 37 (50posts per page).

Our biggest problem was we reinforced bad habits by taking her into our bed or taking her out of her crib to try to get her back to sleep. And I got firm on it, and bsically did all of the sleep training myself (my wife is a very deep sleeper). I did a sort of mix of the 'elimination' method. Baby wakes up, cries, I'd go in after a few mins of sustained crying/protest, calm her down but wouldn't take her out of her crib, lay her down and rub her back for a bit, maybe 2, 3 minutes or longer earlier on. I'd then sneak out of the room either while she wass "sleeping" (laying down quiet) or if she was still fussy I'd just leave the room. I'd let her cry for 10mins (set a timer on my phone), then go back, do the same, maybe stick around a *little* longer this 2nd time, an then if she was still fussing, I'd leave the room and set a timer for 20mins. If she continued to cry, I'd go in and repeat this again and then set a timer for 30mins. If she's *still* crying after that full hour+, I'd then take her out of the crib and into our bed where she'd normally be so exhausted she'd fall asleep pretty quickly.

After a few days her sleep changed... she started falling back asleep that 2nd time I Went in, or a couple times she woke up and put herself back to sleep within a few minutes. She started sleeping throigh the night on consecutive days something she hadn't done sicne she was maybe... 12 or 13 months old. And, now, a little over 2 weeks after starting this, she's consistently sleeping through the night multiple nights in a row. It's been a big change.

I also got strict with naps on the weekend. Nap at ~11 or 1130, and then another one at 2:30 or 3. I'm kinda the sleep disciplinarian in our house, and so I've taken to calling myself Dr. Sleep. Which... I think strikes enough fear into everybody's heart.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
The Albatross Sleep training is a no for my wife so we're stuck until he grows out of it naturally. He's 15 months next week. From what I've seen and read this is natural for a child still breastfeeding in the night and she isn't planning on forcefully weaning him.

I'm mostly venting. 4-5 hours of sleep for so long sucks. But it sucks more seeing my wife so tired from it all too.

He's getting in teeth and possibly having a growth spurt now because he's been ravenous so that's contributing.

I'm not totally against some methods but I think he's too old for some gentler ones now. I cannot fathom leaving my child to cry for more than a few minutes. An hour is astounding to me.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The Albatross Sleep training is a no for my wife so we're stuck until he grows out of it naturally. He's 15 months next week. From what I've seen and read this is natural for a child still breastfeeding in the night and she isn't planning on forcefully weaning him.

I'm mostly venting. 4-5 hours of sleep for so long sucks. But it sucks more seeing my wife so tired from it all too.

He's getting in teeth and possibly having a growth spurt now because he's been ravenous so that's contributing.

I'm not totally against some methods but I think he's too old for some gentler ones now. I cannot fathom leaving my child to cry for more than a few minutes. An hour is astounding to me.
I know I've plugged this site before, but the author here really did save my sanity when it came to feeding issues about a year ago. Maybe her articles about sleep may help?

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
My 6 year old daughter has been watching a lot of Pokemon (both original series and Sun and Moon) on Netflix and she seems really interested in it.

Would I be nuts getting her one of the Pokemon games for Christmas? I'd say her reading is above grade level. She's not particularly responsible though, and tends to get obsessed with electronic devices, so it'd probably be a battle to get her to stop playing every day.

The only Nintendo system I own right now is a Japanese New 3DS, which is a no go for her. I'm really hesitant to get her a Switch or Switch Lite because there's a good chance she'd destroy it.

I was kind of thinking of trying to find one of the doorstop 2DS and Ultra Sun or Moon. Any thoughts?

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
My 6 year old daughter has been watching a lot of Pokemon (both original series and Sun and Moon) on Netflix and she seems really interested in it.

Would I be nuts getting her one of the Pokemon games for Christmas? I'd say her reading is above grade level. She's not particularly responsible though, and tends to get obsessed with electronic devices, so it'd probably be a battle to get her to stop playing every day.

The only Nintendo system I own right now is a Japanese New 3DS, which is a no go for her. I'm really hesitant to get her a Switch or Switch Lite because there's a good chance she'd destroy it.

I was kind of thinking of trying to find one of the doorstop 2DS and Ultra Sun or Moon. Any thoughts?
I'm not sure if I'd let a kid have free access to a system at that age. Getting the game and letting her play it is probably fine, but you'd probably need to restrict her access to it and only let her play like an hour a day or something, and maybe only after she's done doing something productive.

If you're getting a system, then yes, probably something durable like a 2DS seems like the best bet at that age.

Are there things related to pokemon you'd rather get for her? Like plushies or books?

Oct 27, 2017
Pure torture trying to get our 5.5 month old twins to sleep at the moment. We're trying to wean them off constant/regular night feeds but it's not working. Maybe they're just too young for the moment to have that feed & sleep association broken. But only getting 4-5 hours of broken sleep a night currently and we can't really go on like this. Past two nights I've ended up wheeling our buggy around the house for hours on end during the middle of the night because it got them to settle /sleep.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I feel for you Interested Observer ... It gets better, but I've never dealt with twins waking each other up, either.

I think if they're waking up and wan to be fed and they'll go back to sleep, that's better than being awake all night with unsettled kids, as well.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So we're at a point with our son that if he sees a banana and he doesn't get to eat said banana right then, meltdowns start. Dude is a little banana fiend.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I feel so bad for my wife sometimes. I watch my son all day yesterday from about 7AM until 6PM when she gets home and he's pleasant and fun to be around like 99% of the time. No crying. No meltdowns. Wife watches him for 40 minutes while I get some work done and he has like 3 meltdowns.

So we're at a point with our son that if he sees a banana and he doesn't get to eat said banana right then, meltdowns start. Dude is a little banana fiend.
We've never really denied food so we don't get meltdowns but good god they must infuse puffs with crack. He's just a fiend for them.

A lot of our meltdowns are related to not getting to play in the sink (forever).

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
My kid freaking loved bananas for a year or so. Then now he won't touch them for some reason. It sucks.

At least he loves other fruits I guess.

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017
my kid loves bananas, but we kind only give him them when his poop is getting on the soft side

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter is at risk of turning into a strawberry.

We have to introduce strawberries at the end of meals because it's all she'll eat

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
My son is pretty obsessed with feeding me/my wife or our dog. He'll beg for a cracker from the counter top and when I give it to him he motions to me for me to eat it, then goes back again.

It's worth it though for moments like the other week. We spend the entire day reading. Our only breaks were for him to toddle out to the kitchen to ask for a graham cracker then toddle back. He'd nibble while I read him stories occasionally reaching over to make sure I got a nibble too.

Oct 27, 2017
It's 3am, just finished a dream feed and my 6mth old twins have been down since about 8pm. Not a peep from either of them. I can't believe it, sleep training them actually seems to have worked.

Oct 27, 2018
Well I suppose I should count my blessings that I got to experience multiple viewings on Into The Spiderverse (and listening to "Sunflower" and "Hypnotise" from the soundtrack, on near repeat for months) all the Toy Story films, animated Mr Bean, the original Pokemon series and underrated treasure Gigglebiz - but the inevitable has finally happened. My 2yo daughter is obsessed with something I'm not really keen on... Frozen.

Sigh. I understand it could be worse but when you've gone from daily viewings on an awesome Spider-Man movie and constantly requests of "I want Biggie Smalls" in the car, changing that to Frozen and "the Forever song" is pretty grim.

She's probably too young to watch the new one at the cinema too, so it's just the first one. Was probably kidding myself thinking the "cool stuff" could last, I guess.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
It's 3am, just finished a dream feed and my 6mth old twins have been down since about 8pm. Not a peep from either of them. I can't believe it, sleep training them actually seems to have worked.

Congrats!
I already have a 3 year old daughter and will get twin daughters inside the next two weeks. Any tips for dealing with twins are welcome haha

Me at home with three daughters and a wife.... Is going to be interesting.

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats!
I already have a 3 year old daughter and will get twin daughters inside the next two weeks. Any tips for dealing with twins are welcome haha

Me at home with three daughters and a wife.... Is going to be interesting.

Oh man, huge congrats but you are in for a ride. The twins were our first kids so I don't have the experience of having a single child first so we're pretty much just still in survival mode. I think having one will prepare you pretty well but with twins we find it just never ever ever ever ever stops. It's 24/7, even when they're asleep you're trying to sort out your life/the house/do the washing/going food shopping etc. Your wife really is going to have huge strain put on her, it's so tough on mom, so I would say just support her the best you can. All the best with them! Seeing them grow and develop has been the toughest but most rewarding thing I've ever had in my life, bar none.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Oh man, huge congrats but you are in for a ride. The twins were our first kids so I don't have the experience of having a single child first so we're pretty much just still in survival mode. I think having one will prepare you pretty well but with twins we find it just never ever ever ever ever stops. It's 24/7, even when they're asleep you're trying to sort out your life/the house/do the washing/going food shopping etc. Your wife really is going to have huge strain put on her, it's so tough on mom, so I would say just support her the best you can. All the best with them! Seeing them grow and develop has been the toughest but most rewarding thing I've ever had in my life, bar none.

Thanks! Yeah having the first kid - or kids - is always tough because everything is new and one has to adjust to so much stuff.
We are well prepared but it's going to be rough, especially because of an additional factor:

We fought 4 years to finally have everything work out and be pregnant with our first daughter. It was actually set in stone that she will remain our only child due to medical reasons. So of course we all gave her a lot of attention and care. Also, she was born too early and had some obstacles to overcome.
Now she will have to share with not only one, but two sisters. She is an angel, but it will be rough for her.

Yours are 6 month old? Hehe wait until they start to talk. It's incredibly rewarding to see how much they learn, they are like a sponge. The stuff my daughter is saying to me is hilarious. The parents are the center of the universe for small kids. It's like a mirror, everything you do will be directly reflected. Which can be good or bad ;-)

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

👍👍👍

Sleep training seriously worked for us too... and just like the guides said, the first couple nights was unreliable but then after the 3rd, 4th, 5th night.... baby figures it out and starts sleeping on her own.

From months 9 - 14 I was pretty sleep deprived and that baby could manipulate the hell out of us, but I started getting serious about sleep training at 14 months, and within a couple days she slept thru the night for the first time since ~9 months, and now ~8 weeks later or so, she's consistently sleeping from 7pm - 6am just about every night, give or take.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Story folks been quite a while since I posted here ha.

Just wanted yer view on it to hopefully calm down my wife

My kid recently turned 2. He's got about 30 words or so but uses them sparingly enough. He has a good understanding of words so if for example I say go get your book he'll know to get whatever book has his fancy that particular week.

He also engages with other kids and adults when around them..

Like the development nurse (Irish requirement to see them at various stages of their life) said he's perfectly fine and she's no worries. I don't have any particular concerns myself I know each kid is different and he'll speak when he wants to probably. But my wife is freaking out a bit so naturally that worries me ha

So basically tldr any of you experienced non talkers of 2 years plus yet ha

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

My kid recently turned 2. He's got about 30 words or so but uses them sparingly enough. He has a good understanding of words so if for example I say go get your book he'll know to get whatever book has his fancy that particular week.

Like the development nurse (Irish requirement to see them at various stages of their life) said he's perfectly fine and she's no worries. I don't have any particular concerns myself I know each kid is different and he'll speak when he wants to probably. But my wife is freaking out a bit so naturally that worries me ha

30 words isn't a non-talker.

My sister's 2 and a half year old still literally can't say more than like 10 words and his pronunciations are very rudimentary (basically just one syllable of any word).

Oct 27, 2017
👍👍👍

Sleep training seriously worked for us too... and just like the guides said, the first couple nights was unreliable but then after the 3rd, 4th, 5th night.... baby figures it out and starts sleeping on her own.

From months 9 - 14 I was pretty sleep deprived and that baby could manipulate the hell out of us, but I started getting serious about sleep training at 14 months, and within a couple days she slept thru the night for the first time since ~9 months, and now ~8 weeks later or so, she's consistently sleeping from 7pm - 6am just about every night, give or take.

This is going to sound exaggerated but it isn't - sleep training has actually been life changing. We're doing it since Friday only now and they slept 12 hours last night (bar us waking them for a dream feed) and settled themselves for their big nap in the middle of the day as well. It used to take us up to 3 hours to get them to sleep, we'd try to start at about 7pm and it might have been 10pm by the time they slept.

Last night we put them in their cots at 720pm, and just went downstairs and watched TV until we decided to go to bed. I got nearly 8 hours sleep. It is simply amazing. We used a sleep coach, who was quite expensive and I was really skeptical of the whole thing from the outset, but she could have doubled her fee and it would have been good value.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017

I'm in a similar boat in that we can't stop worrying about our kid's development either.

Imo, if your doc says he's fine then I'd listen to the doc. 30 words might be a bit low, but that doesn't count as nonverbal. Understanding multi-step instructions and engaging with other people are big good signs, and I'd look at those for encouragement rather than focusing on the word count. Also keep in mind that girls develop language skills faster than boys at this age, so don't be too stressed if you see girls talking more than your kid.

If you're really worried, you could talk to your doctor to see if there are any speech therapy programs available for your kid. Sometimes some teaching techniques from speech therapists can encourage your kid to say more things or learn more words. I took my kid to a few, and the speech therapists are pretty good at giving tips about how to encourage your kid to talk more.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome I'm really glad for you guys, following your struggles with it for the last couple months.

biggest thing we need to introduce is regular naps... I'm pretty good at putting the baby down for a nap, but my wife struggles, often tries to nap with her in our bed, and that's hit or miss and then my wife gets stressed out/angry/frustrated if she's tired but the baby isn't.

My daughter is closing in on 18mos and she's pretty behind verbally and with gross motor skills, it's something we worry about a lot. my state in the US has an early interventions program which has been good so far, she has speech/motor development person come to the house once a week.

Biggest issue is our daughter is seemingly low muscle tone, but our big worry is it's a neurological disorder... We can't confirm either way until 18+ months. She was slow to crawl, but was standing by ~8 mos or so and doing a good job, but then completely stopped standing from 10mos to basically today. She's standing longer now han she was but still can't pull herself up onto her feet... She can pull herself onto her knees and does well playing on her knees, but can't stand... And stands awkwardly/unsure when she does. SHe *wants* to walk but can't, like if I hold her up she'll start doing a walking motion and going forward but she just doesn't have strength or balance to do it, her legs just go down.

For speech, she has some words but hasn't really advanced in speech much at all the last couple months. She'll make plenty of sounds, but not really make consistent words. She can be prompted into some of them, but isn't consistent.

We're worried but I try to stay positive with it all while my wife gets more nervous and worried. We see the specialist once or twice a week and they're not really concerned at all, she's just behind from their perspective. My wife's naturally a very anxious person which doesn't make it any easier.

Your situation reminds us of a friend of ours, his son didn't talk *at all* for like..... 24+ months, was very quiet, very shy, and they weren't sure if there was something else, but now at ~5 he's like the most social kid, very talk-a-tive and expressive. He's behind in pronounciation now and still struggles a bit with confidence, like speaking up and saying something, but when he's comfortable with someone he'll talk their ear off. He's also a brilliant little kid. THey were concerend about ASD or other learning/cognitive challenges, but so far he's really advanced with learning, but still naturally a bit behind conversationally / speech.

Last edited:

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
30 words isn't a non-talker.

My sister's 2 and a half year old still literally can't say more than like 10 words and his pronunciations are very rudimentary (basically just one syllable of any word).

Ah well he barely uses them haha but I'm in agreement with you haha

I'm in a similar boat in that we can't stop worrying about our kid's development either.

Imo, if your doc says he's fine then I'd listen to the doc. 30 words might be a bit low, but that doesn't count as nonverbal. Understanding multi-step instructions and engaging with other people are big good signs, and I'd look at those for encouragement rather than focusing on the word count. Also keep in mind that girls develop language skills faster than boys at this age, so don't be too stressed if you see girls talking more than your kid.

If you're really worried, you could talk to your doctor to see if there are any speech therapy programs available for your kid. Sometimes some teaching techniques from speech therapists can encourage your kid to say more things or learn more words. I took my kid to a few, and the speech therapists are pretty good at giving tips about how to encourage your kid to talk more.

Yeah I'm focusing on the positives ha

Wife's worries will probably win out and we'll do a speech therapist aswell tho ha