• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey so I'm looking at a vacation in Paris and London this year and I'm trying to find good information on how to avoid looking like some dumb American while I'm over there. For example, I've heard that in Paris it is considered an insult if you wear "tennis shoes" into certain stores. Now when I hear "tennis shoes" I think like an ugly old pair of white New Balance or something, but maybe what I would consider an acceptable shoe would still not pass muster over there, I don't know. Anyone know more about the shoe thing in particular?

I've also heard pickpockets are a problem and the shoes are one way you reveal yourself to be a foreigner. Apparently that's a thing in both Paris and London? Its not really a thing over here in the US, at least not where I live. Granted NY and LA might be different, but I never really hear about that.

Anyway, I'm just looking for general helpful info on style and conduct, as well as any cool shit you'd recommend I do/see/eat while I'm over there. I've never been to either city before, so I'm pretty excited to experience it. Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Shoe etiquette in Paris is a complex science.
If you're going during the summer you'll want to wear crocs otherwise store owners will see it as a sign that you're an easy mark and they'll try to rip you off. On thursdays though, it's sandals and black socks day so make sure you're prepared for that.

Don't worry about it. Dress however you want.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Don't wear sneakers in Paris, LOL. Only people who are going to the gym or jogging wear sneakers.

The lighter the color your sneakers are, the worse it is. White sneakers is like a big label "I'm a tourist!"

Also don't wear sports logos, especially College Sports logos. That is so super touristy

But you can get away with wearing "brown" and dark colored walking shoes.

I have brown Sketchers walking shoes and they are easily camouflaged as ordinary shoes that nobody notices

OP
OP

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shoe etiquette in Paris is a complex science.
If you're going during the summer you'll want to wear crocs otherwise store owners will see it as a sign that you're an easy mark and they'll try to rip you off. On thursdays though, it's sandals and black socks day so make sure you're prepared for that.

Don't worry about it. Dress however you want.
LOL. Our agent mentioned that some stores will suddenly not speak English anymore because they find your shoes insulting, so I'm super curious about all that. Like is a pair of new and clean Vans slip-ons considered unacceptable? I have shoes that aren't sneaker-like in nature, but its also going to be summer so I'd prefer to not wear my leather shoes or possibly even enjoy sandals unless they're just too highfalutin' over there for that.

Don't wear sneakers in Paris, LOL. Only people who are going to the gym or jogging wear sneakers.

The lighter the color your sneakers are, the worse it is. White sneakers is like a big label "I'm a tourist!"

Also don't wear sports logos, especially College Sports logos. That is so super touristy

No worries there. Like I said, I imagine like a pair of white new balance or something and I don't own anything like that. And I'm not a big sports guy, so no worries there either. Just got my Hawaiian shirt, straw hat, a camera around my neck, cargo shorts, and $5 Old Navy sandals. That should be cool, right? ;)

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Wear nice sneakers (the Vans slip-ons will be fine). Don't wear short shorts or oversize clothing. If you find a place that is "insulted" (who the fuck told you that?) then it doesn't deserve your business.

So about Paris (most of these tips are from lifehacker readers and are quite good):

lifehacker readers said:
Say hello
If you think Parisians are rude, it might just be that you're not saying hello. "It is considered the height of rudeness to not greet anyone-even when you get on a bus," says Klee. "Anytime you walk into a store, you will be greeted and you must greet the shop-person back," says Scout's Honor. "I noticed that even when I was walking down an alley and another person crossed my path, they would say 'Bonsoir,'" says ceedotkaydot. Add an Au revoir, bonne journee when you leave, says jseb.

And start your conversations in French, even when you know the other person speaks English. Readers all agreed that it's rude to just start talking to Parisians in English. "The best phrase I know in French is Je suis désolé, je ne parle pas français, says JobiWan. "I've seen tourists (mostly American) be treated as annoying tourists because they are pushy and demanding, and yet when I approach the same vendors and tell them I don't speak French (in French), they are much more polite and accommodating. Even those that don't speak English are very pleasant and try to work with you."

You can push it further, says TheMonkeyKing: "We found ourselves to be instant hits in small neighborhood cafes where we badly mangled local French but in their laughter appreciated our efforts. One place poured us extra wine and another one gave use free desserts with our dinner. If you can sneak in a malaprop, you'll become their darling."

Avoid scams
"Ignore anyone approaching you with a clipboard asking if you speak English, or anyone with a poorly made friendship bracelet in their hand," says Kevin Lee Drum.

"I do not feel that the city is generally unsafe, but keep an eye on your valuables, there are many pickpockets," says Frederi.

I will add to this:

If you are sitting outdoors at a café, DO NOT leave your phone on the table. Also shoes aren't the way pickpockets recognize foreigners - looking totally lost and clueless is.

Most waiters aren't rude per se, it's just that the standard for service isn't the same. Servers aren't paid in tips or employed on an "at will" basis, so their job doesn't depend on them feigning happiness. That means that most service staff you'll encounter should be friendly enough, but don't get too mad if that isn't the case. Though if you're nice you might get treated better.

Don't be a condescending American, show you're willing to meet Parisians halfway, and you'll be fine :)

Last edited:

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
The things North Americans tell each other about European culture is something else...

But you can get away with wearing "brown" and dark colored walking shoes.

I have brown Sketchers walking shoes and they are easily camouflaged as ordinary shoes that nobody notices

Like this, this is a fucking joke

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Hawaiian shirt, khaki shorts, white socks and running shoes are mandatory. Fanny pack and enormous camera optional.

srsly: just be aware of your surroundings and pickpockets should not be a concern, also how you dress does not really matter, just wear some clothes and you'll be fine. enjoy your trip

Deleted member 40053

Banned
Feb 17, 2018
If you're coming to London just learn to whisper and you'll be fine, oh and don't mention trump, even in the negative.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Baseball caps are usually a dead giveaway of an American in a foreign land. Cargo shorts also. Shorts of any kind actually.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can where whatever the fuck you want in London. Just don't talk too loudly.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
no it's not, wearing a big M for Michigan hoody is like an alarm bell "tourist alert!!"

just wear a muted color polo shirt and fitted jeans, you will blend in fine

It was more about your shoe insinuations, absolutely and apparently unintentionally hilarious. People here wear those NY baseball caps a lot, noone assumes they're a tourist.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
London and Paris are teeming with tourists. Locals are used to it, will be able to tell you are one just by your body language. Don't worry about it :)

London travel tips:

Get an Oyster (contactless transit) card at the airport and put some money on it. There are daily/weekly travelcards etc. but if you just PAYG it will automatically round down to the most appropriate deal. It'll get you on any bus, tube, tram or train in the city *except* the "Express" trains from the airports. Save some ££ for a slightly longer ride on a slightly slower service.

Get a prepaid SIM at the airport. Get CityMapper on your phone. It taps into live transit data to always give you the best travel directions. It'll tell you to take buses (a great way to see the city) which are otherwise too complex for a tourist to wrap their head round.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I go to Paris and London a few times a year and if there's something really overblown about advice on traveling to these places, it's the dress code advice you often see.

Just like in any other place, no one really cares how you dress. They're both multicultural metros with people of different backgrounds. You'll see a lot of different clothing styles, some upscale, others more underground and others more laid back. Just be yourself and dress for the weather and in a style that suits you. Then only exception is wearing clothing that's too revealing in churches and cathedrals.

If you'd like to dress in a London or Parisian style, then you'll want fitted clothing with matching colors, layers (jackets/sweaters) and leather dress shoes that match the rest of your outfit. In the midst of summer, shorts are actually worn by plenty of people, and even flip flops and sandals (without socks) aren't uncommon.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
From my experience London and LA style are almost indistinguishable, with the obvious variance for weather. Just don't wear a baseball cap everywhere and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Also, if you tip like you do in the US you'll be every bar worker's/server's best mate

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another tip:

Despite the common stereotype of snobby French people, I've found hanging around Londoners to be way worse. I encountered rude people almost every hour.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
London and Paris are teeming with tourists. Locals are used to it, will be able to tell you are one just by your body language. Don't worry about it :)

This is more like it. We can tell you're a tourist because of how you act and talk. These are big cities and local people will dress both better and worse than whatever you've decided to go as.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
I live in London so yeah, ask me anything.

I've also been to Paris a bunch (it's very easy to get from London to Paris on the Eurostar so you could just combine those trips)

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is more like it. We can tell you're a tourist because of how you act and talk. These are big cities and local people will dress both better and worse than whatever you've decided to go as.
Yup, after travelling a bunch, I've come to accept this. In the end, it's pretty much just a matter of mitigating your cluelessness as much as possible by doing plenty of research beforehand. That said, getting etiquette advice from friends who are locals is always way better than tips from random websites.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All of this is pretty great, thank you everyone. I'm amused at the advice telling me to go over there and basically be nice and not demanding or rude or entitled. I don't feel that people from the United States are in any position to be demanding of anyone since November 2016. I will be over there trying my best to appear polite and gracious.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
how to avoid looking like some dumb American while I'm over there
That's gonna be a tough one :D For some reason you can immediately spot American tourists in Paris. Something about you guys just screams UNCLE SAM. Maybe it's cargo pants/shorts + T-shirts combos, together with those cheap backpacks or better yet, fanny packs.
If you're coming in the summer, opt for chinos shorts and proper rolled sleeve shirts, and if you have to have backpack with you, get something more classy looking. Otherwise don't worry too much, I feel like these days Paris is more welcoming to tourists than it used to be, you'll have a good time.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I've also heard pickpockets are a problem and the shoes are one way you reveal yourself to be a foreigner. Apparently that's a thing in both Paris and London? Its not really a thing over here in the US, at least not where I live. Granted NY and LA might be different, but I never really hear about that.
Pickpocketing is fucking huge in Paris. Be VERY careful about it. Don't keep anything in your back pockets, and make sure anything you do keep in your pockets is somewhat hard for you to take out. Don't put anything valuable in a bag or backpack when you go out, and keep your everyday "going out" bag as small and minimalist as possible. Cover the openings of said bags at all times, and never leave them exposed. There are signs everywhere near tourist attractions warning about pickpockets. There's one such sign in an elevator in the Eiffel Tower. The problem is that prevalent.

I got pickpocketed in my back pocket in a crowded train station once - I felt something go in and out of my back pocket in a flash, and I think it was probably some guy pushing through a crowd. It's a good thing I didn't have anything in that pocket, because if I did, there was no way I was gonna identify or catch the guy.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's no dress code in Paris.

It's a multicultural city with inspiration from all over the world.

Pickpocket is a real issue though so be careful about that, don't respond to survey request and be careful in the subway.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
Pickpocketing is fucking huge in Paris. Be VERY careful about it. Don't keep anything in your back pockets, and make sure anything you do keep in your pockets is somewhat hard for you to take out. Don't put anything valuable in a bag or backpack when you go out, and keep your everyday "going out" bag as small and minimalist as possible. Cover the openings of said bags at all times, and never leave them exposed. There are signs everywhere near tourist attractions warning about pickpockets. There's one such sign in an elevator in the Eiffel Tower. The problem is that prevalent.

I got pickpocketed in my back pocket in a crowded train station once - I felt something go in and out of my back pocket in a flash, and I think it was probably some guy pushing through a crowd. It's a good thing I didn't have anything in that pocket, because if I did, there was no way I was gonna identify or catch the guy.
Damn. Guess my sister and I got lucky.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
London: Don't buy water at train stations or near them, It's daylight fucking robbery. Your best bet would be to buy snacks, drinks and such at a small newsagents or even better....Tesco or COOP.

If you see a bottle of water above the price of like...£1, they can fuck riiiiiiiiiiiiiight off.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the biggest thing you can do to stick out in Paris is be fat or dress like you shop at Walmart's bargain bin.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
I got pickpocketed in my back pocket
There's your problem!
In London, tip for table service. 10% is normal and is often added on anyway.
No tipping at the bar. Expect your exact change when you pay, and pocket it all. Some bars have tip jars, but they're totally optional and there's no social expectation to tip.
No need to tip black cabs. The price is already ridiculous.
No need to tip hotel staff either.