• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShaheedMalik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Marjory Stoneman Douglas student David Hogg, now a prominent activist in the #NeverAgain movement, said the media's biggest mistake while covering the shooting at his school was not giving black survivors a prominent voice.

Speaking at an Axios event Friday focused on the gun debate, Hogg was asked about where the news media tripped up in its coverage of the tragic shooting at his Parkland, Florida school that left 17 people dead.
"Not giving black students a voice," Hogg responded, via Axios. "My school is about 25 percent black, but the way we're covered doesn't reflect that."

Axios journalist and developer Alex Duner added on Twitter that Hogg said the lack of black representation was "disgusting."

Hogg also told Axios co-founder Mike Allen that his school felt "like a prison" amid ramped-up security measures. The school announced this week it would require all students to wear clear backpacks upon their return from spring break. Robert W. Runcie, the superintendent of Broward County Public Schools, added there would be further security measures and spending, perhaps even including metal-detecting wands at the school's entrance.

"We want to assure you that the safety and security of our students and employees remain our highest priorities," Runcie wrote in a letter to parents.

Hogg spoke with Allen just ahead of the March for Our Lives rally—an event planned by the Marjory Stoneman Douglas survivors and the #NeverAgain movement—that is scheduled for Saturday in Washington, D.C. with hundreds of sister rallies planned around the world. Thousands of people are expected to attend the D.C. event and a number of celebrities—such as Amal and George Clooney, Steven Spielberg and Oprah Winfrey—have thrown their support behind the march with large donations.

"The kids and families of March for Our Lives will take to the streets of Washington D.C. to demand that their lives and safety become a priority and that we end gun violence and mass shootings in our schools today," the group wrote on its website.
http://www.newsweek.com/parkland-st...tm_campaign=rss&utm_content=/rss/yahoous/news

It makes sense. I have not seen not one person that was black that attended the school speak to any media.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Nov 2, 2017
Damn, as a black dude I didn't even think about the fact that all I've seen paraded about the media were surburban white kids.

Respect.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
congrats to the parkland shooter for creating icons that will shut down his beliefs for years to come

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This kid gets so much shit on Twitter, it's disgraceful. I hope he can ignore the noise and stay focused, he could be a great journalist

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I actually thought about that when the Time cover came out and it was all just white kids.
I know it's not their fault, but it still rubbed me a bit wrong.

Our media is so fucked up.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
He should run for some sort of political office as soon as he graduates. His political acumen is incredibly sharp.

EvoTech

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
I saw quite a few students of color being interviewed about the shooting, maybe I just follow different media outlets.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I saw quite a few students of color being interviewed about the shooting, maybe I just follow different media outlets.
not giving black survivors a prominent voice.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
As is evident by the liberal jump to limit gun ownership to people on the no fly list, to the constant fear that the right has of "black militants" like the black panthers and such is pretty clear that no one really gives a shit about people of color when it comes to guns.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I figured it was a 90%+ white school just going by media coverage. Would have never even known the school is 25% black.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
As is evident by the liberal jump to limit gun ownership to people on the no fly list, to the constant fear that the right has of "black militants" like the black panthers and such is pretty clear that no one really gives a shit about people of color when it comes to guns.

Is there racial bias in the no fly list? Not trolling genuinely curious.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a take that I have admittedly not actually thought about at all. Respect to this kid for speaking up for those who didn't get a chance to.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Were any of those killed black?

(Not suggesting this should or shouldn't determine representation; just curious)

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
If it was simply their choice not to say anything or they were being ignored, we can't actually say but it is strange that the population of the school is a quarter black and the narrative has been a bunch of white kids and a latina.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Were any of those killed black?

(Not suggesting this should or shouldn't determine representation; just curious)

This young man was shot 5 times as he threw himself against a door to keep the shooter out. The shooter fired through the door while trying to get in, but because the kid was holding the door shut, he wound up saving dozens of lives.

sL9Y4Bb.jpg

AFAIK he didn't die, but he was in ICU for over a week at least. He's one of the biggest heroes in the entire ordeal.

EDIT: just checked, the kid is still in the hospital, but alive.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would never have guessed his school was 25% black based on the news reports.

Same here.

This young man was shot 5 times as he threw himself against a door to keep the shooter out. The shooter fired through the door while trying to get in, but because the kid was holding the door shut, he wound up saving dozens of lives.

sL9Y4Bb.jpg

AFAIK he didn't die, but he was in ICU for over a week at least. He's one of the biggest heroes in the entire ordeal.

Why is this the first I've seen or heard of this young hero?

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
Glad he's bringing it up. It's pretty crazy
If it was simply their choice not to say anything or they were being ignored, we can't actually say but it is strange that the population of the school is a quarter black and the narrative has been a bunch of white kids and a latina.
I'm guessing the Hispanic student wouldn't have gotten any attention either if that speech she made didn't go viral.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017

sL9Y4Bb.jpg

THAT kid should be the representative for the school.

He did more to save lives than the cowardly armed resource officer.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a non black person, I also did the same. I got too wrapped up with the fight for gun control and the folks fighting against it.

It is a shame that the media is bias against folks who aren't white.
Again, flat out wrong. Emma Gonzalez has been front and center in pretty much all the media coverage. The viral video that made the left cheer and the right pissed off was of Emma attacking the NRA. She was so effective that conspiracy theorists have called her a plant.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

sL9Y4Bb.jpg

Damn that's amazing! The kid had more balls than the cops who ran away from the school

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Just to be a realist here and ask a legitimate question,

would using black children actually hurt the cause given its america?

Not that the exclusive use of white kids has stopped conspiracy nuts or others from dismissing their voices. Also not saying the exclusion is right, just looking at outcome